Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas' 1964 team gets a shoutout in this week's Bottom 10

Started by Fayettechill14, September 09, 2014, 02:10:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fayettechill14

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/bottom10140909/michigan-wolverines-shut-notre-dame-welcomed-bottom-10-open-arms

QuoteJohn Lennon wrote "I'm A Loser" during a period when he and his bandmates were spending a lot of time listening to country music, specifically Buck Owens and George Jones.

Yeah, that's right. The Beatles loved them some Possum.

Years later, when asked about the song, Lennon admitted the lyrics were personal. "Part of me suspects that I'm loser," he said. "And the other part of me thinks that I'm God Almighty."

"I'm A Loser" debuted on BBC Radio on Nov. 17, 1964. Just three days earlier, SMU, with a record of 1-6, marched into Fayetteville, Arkansas, to take on the third-ranked Razorbacks. Hayden Fry was in his second year at the helm of the Mustangs and facing his old boss, Frank Broyles. A couple weeks earlier, they'd given sixth-ranked Texas a scare in a 7-0 loss, so there was reason for hope.

That didn't last long. SMU lost 44-0 and finished the year 1-9. Arkansas finished 11-0 and won the national championship.

Funny stuff. A John Lennon-themed Bottom 10.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Good stuff.  Thanks for posting, I enjoyed it!  The Beatles, The Hogs, 1964, The National Championship, The Hayden Fry who coached Bret Bielema, an interesting confluence of events that I found enjoyable because I like all of those topics.

DeltaBoy

Frank got a ton of limbs on his Coaching Tree.

Frank - Hayden Fry - Bret.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.