Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sometimes people ask "What we can offer our recruits that other schools can't?"

Started by ShadowTheHedgehog, September 09, 2014, 11:17:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowTheHedgehog

I think the HOGS bring a bunch of good things to the table both on and off the field, but of course so do other schools.

What is truly unique about being a HOG and about Arkansas in general is best shown via the following image:

WPS, GO HOGS!!  :razorback:

1highhog

That's a good find, +1 for that.  It's actually a recruiting tool that our Coaches have used for many years now.  I've heard our current players, and even some of our players that are now behind the Mike talk about it as a reason they came here.  If some of you have watched lately the little video clips we get of the media sometimes talking to the players, the players bring this up a lot. 

Couple that with the excellent Coaching Staff we now have, and the willingness CBB has to play freshmen over older players, makes it a good place to be.  It shows he's willing to put the best out there no matter the usual Senior vs. Freshman thing you usually see.

Bubba's Bruisers

Struggling to believe any map that says Alabama's favorite team is the Braves.  Or that Pennsylvania is the Pirates. Or Tennessee the Grizzlies.  etc...

Sometimes Google isn't actually your friend.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

cbhawg03

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 09, 2014, 11:38:59 am
Struggling to believe any map that says Alabama's favorite team is the Braves.  Or that Pennsylvania is the Pirates. Or Tennessee the Grizzlies.  etc...

I didn't catch that one, but I did with New York, the Bills over the Yankees?

MojaveJoe

The Bruins? I wonder what the time sample on the Google data was...still cool find though.

Psychohog

Never smarten up a chump.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Psychohog on September 09, 2014, 02:01:43 pm
I think the OP may have doctored the map a little.... :razorback:

I didn't. Reading the previous posts I must admit that I was a bit surprised about Alabama. Always thought that the Hogs and the Tide were the two "pro teams" in their respective states.

http://www.ticketcity.com/blog/2014/07/08/popular-sports-teams-state/

PorkSoda

regardless, the difference is that every other state follows pro teams,  Arkansas is the only state that primarily follows college.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Pork Twain

Not seeing how having a pro team is a negative.  Seems like it would actually be more of a positive.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hawgwash

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 09, 2014, 04:26:23 pm
regardless, the difference is that every other state follows pro teams,  Arkansas is the only state that primarily follows college.
According to the map Texas doesn't follow a professional team.  They follow the Cowboys instead.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 09, 2014, 04:44:15 pm
Not seeing how having a pro team is a negative.  Seems like it would actually be more of a positive.
In most states, people follow their pro team or a near by pro team and mostly ignore college all together.  in arkansas, not having a pro team, means nearly every fan in the state follows the razorbacks.  thus we have a higher per capita fanbase (in theory at least)
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 09, 2014, 11:38:59 am

totally agree.  I grew up in western Pa and believe me, football is king.  If anything the Phillies are more popular than the Pirates.   The Steelers rule Western Pa and the Eagles in the east.  Heck, even the Penguins are as popular as the Pirates. 

Also in Nebraska the Huskers rule as the Hogs do in Arkansas, maybe even more than the Hogs. 

FATHAWG08

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 09, 2014, 11:17:12 am
I think the HOGS bring a bunch of good things to the table both on and off the field, but of course so do other schools.

What is truly unique about being a HOG and about Arkansas in general is best shown via the following image:

WPS, GO HOGS!!  :razorback:
Pirates over the Steelers that's BS!!
I love off season Football!!

Pork Twain

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 09, 2014, 05:29:56 pm
In most states, people follow their pro team or a near by pro team and mostly ignore college all together.  in arkansas, not having a pro team, means nearly every fan in the state follows the razorbacks.  thus we have a higher per capita fanbase (in theory at least)
That is so far from the truth though and I am not sure where people come up with this stuff.  This is not based on any sort of fact, it is a gut-feeling thing and those should rarely be viewed as factual.  A pro team is on a different level and plays on different days and allows people to follow both.  If anything it is a draw as it gives the kid another thing to do. 

I could go on and list the numerous cases where that is not the case but I really don't think I need to.  I will give you a few just for fun.  Texas, USC, Florida, Florida St, Georgia.

http://collegespun.com/features/the-25-most-successful-college-football-programs-of-the-bcs-era/2
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Smokehouse

Quote from: cbhawg03 on September 09, 2014, 11:48:45 am
I didn't catch that one, but I did with New York, the Bills over the Yankees?

Quote from: MojaveJoe on September 09, 2014, 12:32:05 pm
The Bruins? I wonder what the time sample on the Google data was...still cool find though.

They just looked at searches over the past two years. Explains some of the weird factors, but not all. For example, Yankees have been terrible the past two seasons and lately there was all the speculation of whether or not the Bills would be moved somewhere else (and a coaching change) so there's more reason to Google the Bills.

I always find these "what was Googled the most" maps to be troublesome. What does that actually tell you? How likely are you to Google your favorite team as opposed to your second or third favorite; I know I tend to go to Hogville or news sources I already trust rather than just googling "Razorbacks." NFL can put a legitimate claim on being the most popular, but maybe some of these NFL teams are having their Google hits driven by people looking for fantasy advice. Braves may show up in Alabama because searches are split between Auburn/Alabama while anyone rooting for a baseball team goes with the Braves.

I think it'd be more useful (though less interesting) to aggregate all searches into the sports and just say which major sport was most often searched for - regardless of team - in each state. Ticket sale data from within the state would be the best way to handle it if you could weight the results to take into account some sports playing more games.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: hawgwash on September 09, 2014, 05:16:20 pm
According to the map Texas doesn't follow a professional team.  They follow the Cowboys instead.
really? no one's jumping on this? +1 to you, sir
What needs to be remembered about these results are the two-year window. In the past two years Ralph Wilson (face of the Bills) died, Seahawks won the Super Bowl, and the Raiders have had tons of relocation talk and Al Davis died. Perhaps the only thing Alabamans can agree on is liking the Braves. Also, a lot of Memphians have great disdain for the Titans because of the way they got played when the Oilers left Houston, but Nashvillans don't hate the Grizzlies and they've been to the playoffs the past two years.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

KeithStone

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on September 15, 2014, 10:24:20 am
really? no one's jumping on this? +1 to you, sir
What needs to be remembered about these results are the two-year window. In the past two years Ralph Wilson (face of the Bills) died, Seahawks won the Super Bowl, and the Raiders have had tons of relocation talk and Al Davis died. Perhaps the only thing Alabamans can agree on is liking the Braves. Also, a lot of Memphians have great disdain for the Titans because of the way they got played when the Oilers left Houston, but Nashvillans don't hate the Grizzlies and they've been to the playoffs the past two years.

I too saw the Cowboys quote and loved it!  I agree, this is only two years of Google searches and doesn't mean a gosh darn thing.  Good find and interesting study, the economics of ticket buying using purchasers zip code would be significantly more interesting if StubHub or TicketCity would hire a remotely competent person to analyze the data.