Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gas Grill Ribs??

Started by ldfergu, September 09, 2014, 10:43:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ldfergu

I know, I know...its sacrilegious but I don't have a smoker.. Will get one down the road.

Do any of you guys have a good recipe or technique that works best?  I've watched a couple different youtube vids that recommend turning on both outside burners at the the lowest heat for a few hours so I might try that.

I'm pretty new to ribs and have only made them a couple times with ok success.  First time was the 2011 Cotton Bowl and I baked them for several hours and then charred them on the grill at the end.  Used a Sweet Baby Rays and OJ sauce that tasted pretty good..

Give me your advice! If you're too embarrassed to admit to cooking your ribs this way I understand and you can send me a PM ;)

cosmodrum

You would cook them indirectly. Turn on just one of the end burners. put the ribs on the side that's off. Either buy a woodchip smoker box ($20 give or take), or make a foil pouch with some holes. You'll put your soaked wood chips in it and put it directly over the burner.

You can cook a rack in about 2 hours (if loin back or baby back) at 350, or if your grill only gets up to 225 with this method, then 4-6 hours.

I'd turn the rack about halfway through cooking so they cook evenly as possible.

Or...you could buy a smoker.  ;)
Go away, batin'

PorkRinds

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 09, 2014, 10:49:35 am
You would cook them indirectly. Turn on just one of the end burners. put the ribs on the side that's off. Either buy a woodchip smoker box ($20 give or take), or make a foil pouch with some holes. You'll put your soaked wood chips in it and put it directly over the burner.

You can cook a rack in about 2 hours (if loin back or baby back) at 350, or if your grill only gets up to 225 with this method, then 4-6 hours.

I'd turn the rack about halfway through cooking so they cook evenly as possible.

This. 

PharmacistHog

Most BBQ accessories are on clearance now, I'd try to find a smoker box.  Probably only cost you around 10 bucks and I've had better luck with those than the pouches. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

hoosier

When I was first married( a long time ago) I fixed ribs on a cheap gas grill quite often. They turned out very well. Just didn't have the smoke flavor. I turned them about every 20 minutes and basted them with beer every time I flipped them. Added a little extra rub towards the end then sauced for about 30-40 minutes. Usually took about 2 hours or so.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: hoosier on September 09, 2014, 01:00:22 pm
When I was first married( a long time ago) I fixed ribs on a cheap gas grill quite often. They turned out very well. Just didn't have the smoke flavor. I turned them about every 20 minutes and basted them with beer every time I flipped them. Added a little extra rub towards the end then sauced for about 30-40 minutes. Usually took about 2 hours or so.

Did you use any kind of smoke chips? 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

hoosier

PorkRinds

And if you're interested I can show you how to spend about $50 bucks and get a serviceable smoker.

DeltaBoy

I only use my Gas grill for when we are in a hurry to eat anymore.  If we got the time then the Weber gets hot.

Now even on a Coleman Road Trip I can get good color and flavor on Chicken and Burgers using a Foil pack and soaked Apple or Pecan chips.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ldfergu

Thanks for the input everybody.  Gonna put somethin together Saturday before the game. 

As for dry rub...What do you guys like to use.  I really like the flavor brown sugar brings so something with that preferably.

PorkRinds

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on September 10, 2014, 03:13:06 pm
Thanks for the input everybody.  Gonna put somethin together Saturday before the game. 

As for dry rub...What do you guys like to use.  I really like the flavor brown sugar brings so something with that preferably.

Brown sugar burns easily, so be sure and wait til close to the end to add anything with much of that in it.  Usually turbinado sugar works best.  Any number of rubs you can purchase will work out fine though, unless you want to make your own. 

cosmodrum

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on September 10, 2014, 03:13:06 pm

I really like the Germantown Commissary rub if you go the commercial route. You can get it at Kroger. Brown sugar base.

Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 10, 2014, 03:15:17 pm
Brown sugar burns easily, so be sure and wait til close to the end to add anything with much of that in it.  Usually turbinado sugar works best.  Any number of rubs you can purchase will work out fine though, unless you want to make your own. 

Well, it can burn, but he can wrap when it gets to the color of his choice. Personally, I like a darker rib as opposed to what is standard (mahogany) for comp bbq.
Go away, batin'

PorkRinds

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 10, 2014, 03:17:47 pm
Well, it can burn, but he can wrap when it gets to the color of his choice. Personally, I like a darker rib as opposed to what is standard (mahogany) for comp bbq.

I'm the same way actually.  The best ribs I've made were almost black...

cosmodrum

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 10, 2014, 03:21:57 pm
I'm the same way actually.  The best ribs I've made were almost black...

Central BBQ in memphis are dark like that. The dude that owns it was actually on BBQ Pitmasters and he got dinged by Myron and co. because of it.

I think it's a better bark.
Go away, batin'

PharmacistHog

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 10, 2014, 03:23:47 pm
Central BBQ in memphis are dark like that. The dude that owns it was actually on BBQ Pitmasters and he got dinged by Myron and co. because of it.

I think it's a better bark.

Somebody oughta slap Myron with a burnt rack of ribs. What an arrogant ***. I figured it was for show and messed up and bought his book. He's even an arse in his book. Hate that I contributed anything to that guy.

cosmodrum

Quote from: PharmacistHog on September 10, 2014, 03:27:09 pm
Somebody oughta slap Myron with a burnt rack of ribs. What an arrogant ***. I figured it was for show and messed up and bought his book. He's even an arse in his book. Hate that I contributed anything to that guy.

Have you seen his son? What a little prick. Definitely his dad's kid.
Go away, batin'

aristotle

When I use a gas grill for babybacks, I turn them upside down on foil on the flame for about 15 min until the ridge starts to blacken just a little. Then I wrap them completely in foil and put them on the top rack of grill for an hour or so depending on size of meat. Basically a grill/bake combo. But they turn out good.

Grill at 350.

ldfergu

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 09, 2014, 10:49:35 am

Just tried this but with liquid smoke instead of wood chips and they turned out really good.  I'll probably break down a buy a smoker eventually but the gas grill methods of tried this week have been pretty good for a rookie.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.