Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

what has happened to tackling

Started by fakebobholt, September 07, 2014, 09:08:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fakebobholt

Its not just college, its as bad in the pros. There is no more breaking down, wrapping up as you explode into the ball carrier. To many defenders trying to shoulder tackke or trying to strip the ball instead of tackling. YAC have to be at an all time high the last 3-4 years. I know we had it drilled into us as a kid through high school how to form tackle. I was taught to put my facemask into whoever I was tackling chest. The saying was you cant get hurt if you tackle the numbers. I think it might have to do players that are alot faster, stronger and alot bigger. Some of these guys are so athletic that if you break down to form tackle or wrap up, they will juke you out of your jock strap. Plus the fact linemen run what rb's and wr ran when I played football. I guess its hard to wrap up these huge players. Its bad in college but its just as bad in the pros. Are the kids taught the right way but mimick what they see on tv or am I missing something.

Wildhog

In the NFL, you get fined for form tackles now'days
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Music City Hog

hogsanity

7 on 7?  Wanting to blow someone up? All the good athletes get moved to offense?  Fear of penalty? These and others have been floated as a cause of poor tackling.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ballz2thewall

its been this way for years.  i don't know why as i'm too far removed from things by age.

if i were to guess i'd say they're not learning it in jr high, and by sr high its forgotten.
The rest of the frog.

fakebobholt

Dont all the tackling drills teach proper form. I know on 1 on 1 dead man drills where one guy gets the ball and the other has to tackle between 2 tackle dummies has to be done right. You cant build uo and speed to spear or lunge shoulder first into the guy. I know everybody works on stripping drills but no longer is the first guy wrapping up and the second trying to strip the ball. When guys try to tackle the ball, it seems like the ball carrier gets 2-4 more yards by just falling forward. I know I wouldnt want to try to tackle some of these beast running full speed. Wrestling might help, it helps build a solid base and how to take opponets down.

Pickwick Hog

Running backs aren't 5'10" 185 lbs anymore. Place your head and shoulder in front of the thighs and knees of RB's today, play after play, and you'll have a short lived career.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

1highhog

All of these stupid new rules they are putting in place is what's happening.  It's ruining the game.  Football is a contact sport, always has been.  But I swear there's more contact in basketball now than in Football.  A player has to be so careful when tackling someone I think that's what leads to a lot of these missed tackles.  Case in point, in the 2nd half yesterday, I forget which hog player it was, but he had a gift sack, he could have drilled the QB into the turf and they would have to filled up the body impression it made.  But instead he let up and pushed the QB hard and the QB stayed on his feet and eluded the rusher and gained positive yardage instead.  I know many of y'all might think that was okay, but Bret got on to him a little about it as he mentioned on his Coaches show.  You have still got to finish that play and level the QB.  Players are doing more thinking than just letting the game come to them.

lefty08

Its gone the way of the mid range jumper....
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Theolesnort

September 08, 2014, 06:15:18 am #9 Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 06:46:49 am by Theolesnort
One of the penalties a day or so ago was targeting a defenseless running back. It was not leading with the helmet or anything like that. My response is are you kidding me? The offenses have all the advantages today.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

BILLYBOB

Defenders are coached to strip the ball...rather than simply "get the man on the ground".
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

Kevin

Tackling is a skill. Like any skill you must work on it to get better. Actual tackling is not worked on anymore. 
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

MultipleScoreGasms

A stripped ball makes the highlight film.  A good tackle usually doesn't.  It's all about the "pub."

davglo35

If you watch the play where Nebraska scored against McNeese with :20 seconds left you will se the perfect example of what tbe OP is talking about. I think a lot of it is that defenders are told told lead with their shoulders so as to avoid helmet to helmet contact.  Cant wrap up if your leading with your shoulders.

Hoggish1

Quote from: hogsanity on September 07, 2014, 09:14:30 pm
7 on 7?  Wanting to blow someone up? All the good athletes get moved to offense?  Fear of penalty? These and others have been floated as a cause of poor tackling.

Agreed. 

The SEC was the first league to want to blow up the runner.  Now, anything to do with the helmet is scrutinized, so the shoulder has become the weapon of choice.  Sometime it works (if the runner doesn't see the tackler coming), but mostly stud runners bounce off and keep going for extra yards.

DeltaBoy

It is not taught much after HS any more from what I see !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Nosboar Accubond

DLUXHOG

It's called the Pussification of American Football...........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

PorkRinds

Quote from: davglo35 on September 08, 2014, 07:03:21 am
If you watch the play where Nebraska scored against McNeese with :20 seconds left you will se the perfect example of what tbe OP is talking about. I think a lot of it is that defenders are told told lead with their shoulders so as to avoid helmet to helmet contact.  Cant wrap up if your leading with your shoulders.

Yes you can.

http://usafootball.com/health-safety/how-to-tackle

This is what's being taught from pee wee up to college level at this point.

clutch

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 08, 2014, 10:09:13 am
It is not taught much after HS any more from what I see !

It's not taught much IN HS anymore. I'm in my second year as a HS coach and I'm amazed when talking with other coaches at how little effort goes into defense. Most coaches now work on offense pretty much the whole practice. Defense practice usually consist of a walk through of where to line up and who to cover. The actual D practice usually comes from live scrimmage type situations. Tackling and fundamentals are worked on pretty rarely. It's insane. All about putting up 50 pts now at the HS level. Sad.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Theolesnort on September 08, 2014, 06:15:18 am
One of the penalties a day or so ago was targeting a defenseless running back. It was not leading with the helmet or anything like that. My response is are you kidding me? The offenses have all the advantages today.

I saw that, he did lead with the crown of his helmet and hit the RB helmet to helmet if we are talking about the same play.

JayBell

Take your pick: penalties in the pro's and in college for hitting a guy too hard (so much of the time for perfectly legal hits), overemphasis on 7-on-7, poor coaching at the lowest levels, etc.

Pigdiana Jones

Another thing that pisses me off is regards to the "late hits" on QBs. I watched the Texans and Redskins game yesterday, and I watched as the rusher for the Texans hit the QB while he was in the throwing motion. The stupid ass ref trew the flag for late hit on QB. I was like WTH? He hadn't even completed his throw before he was hit. AYSM? Seriously?

Enough of this crap is enough.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

DeltaBoy

Quote from: clutch on September 08, 2014, 10:18:31 am
It's not taught much IN HS anymore. I'm in my second year as a HS coach and I'm amazed when talking with other coaches at how little effort goes into defense. Most coaches now work on offense pretty much the whole practice. Defense practice usually consist of a walk through of where to line up and who to cover. The actual D practice usually comes from live scrimmage type situations. Tackling and fundamentals are worked on pretty rarely. It's insane. All about putting up 50 pts now at the HS level. Sad.

Our Staff does one one one and 2 on one tackling drills and they let them take them to the ground.  Our Coach came out of the Aledo TX System and it basically the old 1/3 rds approach ,  You spend 1/3 on the O , 1/3 on the D and 1/3 on the Special Teams. We won some games this past 5 years because of blocking punts, EP and running back punts and kickoffs. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 08, 2014, 10:37:56 am

Our Staff does one one one and 2 on one tackling drills and they let them take them to the ground.  Our Coach came out of the Aledo TX System and it basically the old 1/3 rds approach ,  You spend 1/3 on the O , 1/3 on the D and 1/3 on the Special Teams. We won some games this past 5 years because of blocking punts, EP and running back punts and kickoffs. 

What kind of offense do they run?  I can tell you the 1st yr my son played, 7th grade, they did not teach them how to tackle, but now that I think back, they didn't really teach them much at all.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

clutch

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 08, 2014, 10:37:56 am

We work on tackling quite a bit now. When I first got here it wasn't hardly at all. There was a little of 2 on 1 tackling drills, but that was about it. It was sad. Not really any technique work at all. It didn't even take a full juke move to send defenders flying past the play, just a slight head fake. And you could forget about somebody getting wrapped up. Everyone wanted to go for the KO shot.

But hey, at least we scored a lot of points.

hogsanity

Quote from: clutch on September 08, 2014, 11:52:38 am

But hey, at least we scored a lot of points.

and that's all it takes to keep 90% of any team's fans happy now.

GoHogs1091

Some of it has to do with the fact that some of the newer Defensive Coaches (such as Mike Stoops and Chris Ash) are not as good as the Defensive Coaches from the 1980s and early 1990s.  For instance, Nick Saban was a Defensive Coach in the 1980s.  His Alabama teams are some of the best at tackling in all of college football.  Also, watch the Kansas City Chiefs Linebackers and their excellent tackling, which is some of the best tackling in the NFL.  They are coached by Gary Gibbs, who was a Defensive Coach in the 1980s. 

Maximus Tusk

It's been replaced with the "big hit". You know, the one that gets on ESPN. Trouble is, the big hit is a statistical loser resulting in lots of missed tackles. I like a big hit too but want to see more lock on and wrap up.

clutch

Quote from: hogsanity on September 08, 2014, 01:26:05 pm
and that's all it takes to keep 90% of any team's fans happy now.

That's unfortunately very true

Will Tom

Coaches realized that with rules favoring the offense the best way to play defense is to emphasize turnovers.  Teams today are regularly scoring 35+ points a game so those two turnovers you create defensively very well could be the difference in the outcome.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Pigdiana Jones on September 08, 2014, 10:33:52 am
Another thing that pisses me off is regards to the "late hits" on QBs. I watched the Texans and Redskins game yesterday, and I watched as the rusher for the Texans hit the QB while he was in the throwing motion. The stupid ass ref trew the flag for late hit on QB. I was like WTH? He hadn't even completed his throw before he was hit. AYSM? Seriously?

Enough of this crap is enough.

+1 this if the ball makes it to the edge of the fingertips you better not hit the QB! I would get 2 or 3 flags a game these days!

MissippHog

Quote from: ballz2thewall on September 07, 2014, 09:17:55 pm
its been this way for years.  i don't know why as i'm too far removed from things by age.

if i were to guess i'd say they're not learning it in jr high, and by sr high its forgotten.
The kids see the players at collegiate and NFL level doing it, so they do the same.  I coach pee wee football and at 9 years old they do it as well.  As a matter of fact, we spent 3/4's of our practice today on tackling fundamentals.