Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So what new faces stood out to you?

Started by swinesation, September 07, 2014, 01:30:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

swinesation

Jared Cornelius - Good speed and instincts
Kendrick Edwards - I know it was just one catch & run, but that dude looks like a player.
Grady Ollison - He looks the part - very stout and eager to make a big play
D.J. Dean - OK, I know he's not a new face, but that pick was sweet.
Duwop - Kind of like Matt Jones; one of those guys who can get to where he's going very quickly without looking like he's working very hard. I agree with those who say he'd be great to put in there several times a game with the threat to run or pass.

So who stood out to you? I'm not very good at noticing OL, but wondering how Ragnow looked.

TMc

TexHog188

Dan Skipper was having an all you eat pancake feast yesterday.  Not quite a newcomer either, but I watched him on several plays and he was having a blast.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

downsouthhawg72

Even though this guy is not new & people always seem to look over him but AC vision to see the hole & hit the hole is amazing for a 2nd year player.
DownSouthHawg

ShadowTheHedgehog

DJ Dean, and Hollister (There was a nice pass ruled out of bounds to Hollister I think that on the replay looked like he had a knee and toe inside). I also think Keon did well not a newcomer either, both in motion in the backfield and catching.

Grunt

A.A. looked good. But on the roll-out td run, was he undecided or is he that slow?
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

root_hawg

Think it was ... oh crap...what do I do!

Hog N Bama

Quote from: TexHog188 on September 07, 2014, 01:39:24 pm
Dan Skipper was having an all you eat pancake feast yesterday.  Not quite a newcomer either, but I watched him on several plays and he was having a blast.
Dude's a beast :razorback:

Hog N Bama

September 07, 2014, 03:59:59 pm #8 Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:53:33 pm by Hog N Bama
Jared Cornelius, Taiwan Johnson, Hackett.  Dean looked good although he isn't a new face

hobhog

Quote from: Hog N Bama on September 07, 2014, 03:59:59 pm
Jared Cornelius, Taiwan Johnson, D J Dean

Cornelius has some speed. He looked very good....as did NG Johnson. He was all over the place.

pigtrino

Did anyone other than Hackett make a takle on a kick off?  He seemed to always be there.

razorbackchamps94

Nobody ... If was against a week team ..

ShadowTheHedgehog

AA's #neveryield tackle after he threw the INT was also nice. A lot of the time you see QBs give up and just watch the defender run with the ball after an interception, but AA went after him like a rabid dog.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Hog N Bama on September 07, 2014, 03:59:59 pm
Jared Cornelius, Taiwan Johnson, Hackett.  Dean looked good although he isn't a new face

Taiwan did great, the second sack where he almost ran their QB in for a safety was awesome.

scruf

Khalia Hackett. We haven't had a gunner like that on ST since Tom Crowder.

scruf

fakebobholt

DJ Dean is a ball player. I like that kid.

BatesvilleHOG

Anthony Brown is going to be a player for us. He's huge. Same with Ragnow. I never noticed just how big he was until I saw him standing next to the other linemen.

I'm very impressed with our freshman class. This team has a bright future ahead.

Kevin

I would like to
See dj dean in the secondary more
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

SemperFi

If we're just talking about true freshmen then it has to be Jared Cornelius. Considering that he was playing HS football this time last year and yet looked very good out there even if it was against lesser competition.

I was very pleased to see Drew Morgan making an impact as well a Kendrick Edwards and Cody Hollister. These three young men are stepping up for their QB and we might have found the WR's that we need to balance out this offense.

I definitely want to see more of Duwop Mitchell. This kid has some wheels and can contribute to the overall success of this team. I just hope that he gets his opportunity to do so.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Pigdiana Jones

"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

tophawg19

that's the team you play this week . next week Texas Tech will be our week team . lmbo . or something some people throw out there who can't be happy with the CBB  hogs even though anyone with a brain can see we are moving in the right direction
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

fakebobholt

HF#1

Agree with the OP list.  Hope to see more of all those fella's.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hog N Bama

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 07, 2014, 05:20:00 pm
AA's #neveryield tackle after he threw the INT was also nice. A lot of the time you see QBs give up and just watch the defender run with the ball after an interception, but AA went after him like a rabid dog.
Smart play by AA. He isn't afraid to use those legs. I like his aggression.

JIHawg

Duwop to me would be perfect to run the wildcat.

mhuff

Quote from: swinesation on September 07, 2014, 01:30:54 pm
Jared Cornelius - Good speed and instincts
Kendrick Edwards - I know it was just one catch & run, but that dude looks like a player.
Grady Ollison - He looks the part - very stout and eager to make a big play
D.J. Dean - OK, I know he's not a new face, but that pick was sweet.
Duwop - Kind of like Matt Jones; one of those guys who can get to where he's going very quickly without looking like he's working very hard. I agree with those who say he'd be great to put in there several times a game with the threat to run or pass.

So who stood out to you? I'm not very good at noticing OL, but wondering how Ragnow looked.

Ragnow, announcers had good things to say about him right away.

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: scruf on September 07, 2014, 05:23:19 pm
Yeah I noticed we heard his name in almost every kick off making a tackle.

rusvegashog

Chris Hansen, DJ Dean, Buford Pusser, Taiwan Jaohnson.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: rusvegashog on September 08, 2014, 02:54:46 am
Chris Hansen, DJ Dean, Buford Pusser, Taiwan Jaohnson
"come on in and have a seat...."

rusvegashog

Medic821

Pulled(PP)pork

I know that all the coaches wearing the same windbreaker stood out to me

PP

Hoggish1

Quote from: swinesation on September 07, 2014, 01:30:54 pm

Ragnow looked excellent; like a vet.  This kid is going to be very special.

Hoggish1

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: JIHawg on September 07, 2014, 08:18:16 pm

Agreed.

But after you mentioned that I got the image of AC running the wildcat -- OH MY!!

That kid has got amazing vision and ability to find the open space.  I believe he'd average 10 ypc in the wildcat.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

tbhogfan

All of the guys above, plus (even though he is a senior transfer-he's a new face to us) Cameron Jefferson.

The other thing that stood out to me was the level of discipline on the team, even as second, third and fourth stringers came in.  Good execution and few mistakes/penalties.
Go Hogs!

Tim Harris

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 08, 2014, 09:09:33 am
Agreed.

But after you mentioned that I got the image of AC running the wildcat -- OH MY!!

That kid has got amazing vision and ability to find the open space.  I believe he'd average 10 ypc in the wildcat.

And that is the problem for me with all the talk of Duwop at RB/WR/Wildcat QB.  There are only so many touches to go around.  Who are you going to take away from to get him his handful of touches a game?

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

DeltaBoy

These too plus some others newbies did a solid job.  :razorback:

Jared Cornelius
Kendrick Edwards
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Mo_Better_Hogs

All of the receivers (since most of them are new faces) who CAUGHT BALLS. That looked good and hopefully will give them, and BAllen, some confidence. I only remember one drop, maybe late in the game.

JayBell

I said last week Cornelius was one of only two Arkansas receivers who actually looked like an SEC-level wide receiver.  That extra six months ahead of other freshmen really looks to have paid off.  He looks the part, even more so than Hollister or Edwards.

SemperFi

Quote from: JIHawg on September 07, 2014, 08:18:16 pm

This I absolutely agree with. I hope Coach B and Chaney give him an opportunity.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

010HogFan

three hog night

Quote from: scruf on September 07, 2014, 05:23:19 pm

hackett impressed me.  He looked good at LB a few times too.

I was soo happy for Taiwan Johnson and Ollison to show out.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

SemperFi

Quote from: Tim Harris on September 08, 2014, 09:37:24 am
And that is the problem for me with all the talk of Duwop at RB/WR/Wildcat QB.  There are only so many touches to go around.  Who are you going to take away from to get him his handful of touches a game?

This is why you give him a specific package to run. The Wildcat would be a perfect opportunity to use both his athleticism and ability to throw the ball. He is a former QB, so we all know that he can throw the ball and most likely far better than AC or JWill. You literally have three options at RB to throw in there with him without limiting any production out of the big three. Marshall for the pure speed, JWill for the power and AC as your everything back. Duwop has the ability to run or throw and that makes him very dangerous in this package.

Mo_Better_Hogs

What kind of offense did Duwop run in high school? Assume some kind of run/pass set.

Tim Harris

Quote from: SemperFi on September 08, 2014, 10:35:40 am
This is why you give him a specific package to run. The Wildcat would be a perfect opportunity to use both his athleticism and ability to throw the ball. He is a former QB, so we all know that he can throw the ball and most likely far better than AC or JWill. You literally have three options at RB to throw in there with him without limiting any production out of the big three. Marshall for the pure speed, JWill for the power and AC as your everything back. Duwop has the ability to run or throw and that makes him very dangerous in this package.

But to me you are putting a QB who doesn't throw as good as Allen or run as good as the 3 RB.

I get where people are coming from but I just don't see being as big of a gain as people try to make it out to be.