Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

marching bands

Started by ballz2thewall, September 07, 2014, 10:25:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturalStateReb

Arkansas' band has really went downhill since the Robkin days.  It's not as sharp, and the point of a marching band is to entertain the crowd, not daydream about being a corps in Drum Corps International.  Marching bands should be show bands, plain and simple.

Part of the problem is that advertisement and marketing people are driving band, cheerleading, dance squads, and anything else interesting out of the experience in exchange for tv spots and terrible piped in music that someone said focus tested well.

As for good bands, they're all around the SEC.  LSU, A&M, Alabama, Ole Miss, South Carolina, and Tennessee all have excellent bands.  It used to be that the bands and crowd response were tied together--no one's better at that right now than LSU.  When the Golden Band from Tigerland plays a cheer song, those corndogs know just when to cheer and what to do.  Arkansas had that going under Robkin, but threw it away on Andrew Lloyd Weber shows.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

code red

Quote from: ballz2thewall on September 07, 2014, 10:25:43 am
i'll get flamed but i'm old enough and don't really care.

the days of marching bands are past.  put them to rest, at least as far as football activities are concerned.

no one cares, anymore, except perhaps the parent of a band member.  for half time entertainment i'd much prefer motorcycle jumping, dog acts, or bull fighting.  or, nothing.

what makes matters worse is the modern stadium and television.  i refer in part to the thread regarding the "entrance" wherein music, etc., is discussed.  music is qued abruptly at odd times, often to coordinate with band chatter. 

it has no discernible rhythm at all.  40 seconds of cat scratch fever, then the band chiming a fight song.  its just plain stupid from the stands.

scrap the band and just play music, less blaringly so.

times are-a changing..
I think your wrong.  Tradition IS important.  Right now...its all our program has.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hogmeier

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on September 08, 2014, 08:26:05 am
Yeah, not everyone appreciates the band...I get that.  But a lot of folks do and it's not just their parents.  Without the band there's no running through the "A" before the game, no "go hogs" spell out to end half time, no fight song, no 2001 space odyssey before the 4th quarter.  Every school has tradition built around the band.  It's something that does not exist in pro sports and adds to the experience of attending a live college sporting event.

I never played in a marching band.  But I'll admit that the hair stands up on my arms when I hear the drum cadence when they march in.  The first 7 notes of the fight song get me on my feet and ready to yell my head off for the team.

It's ok if you don't like it.  But don't assume that your opinion is the same as everyone else.

^^^
This

Calvin N Hawgs

Yeah, not everyone appreciates the band...I get that.  But a lot of folks do and it's not just their parents.  Without the band there's no running through the "A" before the game, no "go hogs" spell out to end half time, no fight song, no 2001 space odyssey before the 4th quarter.  Every school has tradition built around the band.  It's something that does not exist in pro sports and adds to the experience of attending a live college sporting event.

I never played in a marching band.  But I'll admit that the hair stands up on my arms when I hear the drum cadence when they march in.  The first 7 notes of the fight song get me on my feet and ready to yell my head off for the team.

It's ok if you don't like it.  But don't assume that your opinion is the same as everyone else.
+1

BorderPatrol

Very good, sir. +1

Some folks just don't get it....

bp

Calvin Swine

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 08, 2014, 08:37:19 am
Arkansas' band has really went downhill since the Robkin days.  It's not as sharp, and the point of a marching band is to entertain the crowd, not daydream about being a corps in Drum Corps International.  Marching bands should be show bands, plain and simple.

It's funny that you should say this as it proves my point earlier.  Robkin's band was actually, musically speaking, not very good.  BUT they were immensely entertaining!  Joe Sixpack loves to be entertained and it's where Arkansas' Band department has lost it's way.

They wanted an anti Robkin and strove to be more DCI and musically focused when they hired Warren in '91.  Warren is a great director but the Robkin hold overs about rioted when he wanted to play Sousa marches as crowd motivating songs.  Gunter and now this current director are just following along on the path, and expectation, set before them since the departure of Robkin.

I remember Collin Cowherd saying, "If you're in the entertainment business you've got to be either extremely good or extremely entertaining".  To be relevant, at a football game, you've got to be entertaining.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 08, 2014, 08:37:19 am

Part of the problem is that advertisement and marketing people are driving band, cheerleading, dance squads, and anything else interesting out of the experience in exchange for tv spots and terrible piped in music that someone said focus tested well.

As for good bands, they're all around the SEC.  LSU, A&M, Alabama, Ole Miss, South Carolina, and Tennessee all have excellent bands.  It used to be that the bands and crowd response were tied together--no one's better at that right now than LSU.  When the Golden Band from Tigerland plays a cheer song, those corndogs know just when to cheer and what to do.  Arkansas had that going under Robkin, but threw it away on Andrew Lloyd Weber shows.

this.

i recall a "theme" at halftime during cbp's last year - WIZARD OF OZ"

seriously???  judy freaking garland??  but in dubious splendor "somewhere over the rainbow" was laid to rest. 

robkin was great; particularly at basketball games.

who wants to hear wizard of oz??  anyone???

but back to the original point.  the tickets to stadium games are now sold on the premise of moving the tailgate into the stadium.  video and music.  it won't change anytime soon.

by recognizing this is not an expression of personal preference.  that's tough for hogville - understood.  except, to the critics my lead in does knock the band in lieu of other entertainments. 
The rest of the frog.

BRHogfan

Wow, it's nice to see that Hogville is so confident in the football team again they can decide to rag on the band.

I played in the RMB from 2004 - 2009.

If you have any comments for the band, I highly suggest you e-mail bands@uark.edu with your constructive criticism.  If you like what they do let them know that, too.  If  you think the school should be giving them more money so that they can do better you can call at 479-575-4100 and make a donation yourself or mention it in an e-mail to chancell@uark.edu.

Besides the RMB, I have the most experience with LSU and Texas A&M.  Two bands that have been mentioned a couple of times. I think if you compare what LSU and Arkansas do on the field, you would probably hear a lot of the same complaints that are levied against the Arkansas band.  Both of these bands, have a level of fan interaction that the Razorback fans don't match.

LSU always plays specific tunes on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th downs, so the fans know what's coming and that helps.  They love the band there because they interact with the band.

A&M gets the entire stadium swaying side to side as they saw the horns off a mascot that hasn't been the mascot for 50 years.  Also they don't play that team anymore.  So every halftime show they have a lot of fan interaction because they do the same thing.  Sawing Varsity's horns off is like the NFL while the GO HOGS spell out is like Pop Warner.  Once again they interact with the band.

ballz2thewall

this thread should carry a disclaimer regarding the a&m band-

it is simply not comparable by virtue of being in another universe entirely.
The rest of the frog.

Calvin Swine

September 08, 2014, 01:44:37 pm #60 Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:54:57 pm by Calvin Swine
For those who want to see who were (before they fired the director) the Bama of Bands watch these, be entertained and be in awe.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/ohio-state-buckeyes-marching-band-tv-video-week-2-cfb-am-090814

The_Iceman

Quote from: Calvin Swine on September 08, 2014, 01:44:37 pm
For those who want to see who were (before they fired the director) the Bama of Bands watch these, be entertained and be in awe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_ToAF46GPQ

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/ohio-state-buckeyes-marching-band-tv-video-week-2-cfb-am-090814

Remove the "s" from "https" and your link will work.

Calvin Swine

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 08, 2014, 01:45:31 pm
Remove the "s" from "https" and your link will work.

Perfect.  Thanks!   ;D

jforte

When the Razorback Marching Band comes into the stadium and your blood doesn't start pumping hard...hair doesn't raise up off your arms...teeth aren't grinding...and I could go on and on....Then just what is it? 

IT'S TRADITION!  IT'S TRADITION ALL OVER THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL NATION!  Whew, Thanks!  Especially when the team runs through the A...If it wasn't for the Razorback Band at Football & Basketball games, I may not be half the fan I am today.  I've been attendiing Razorback games since 1968.

I've been to plenty of Pro games, and as far as music goes...THEY ARE ALL THE SAME!  For me...I'm glad College game day accross the nation is the way it is, and all of the teams and bands are different.

The Razorback Band gets our day going, it's the fuse to our football day and night.  No, I'm not a band alumni, just very happy that they are there...Thanks

Birminghog

Quote from: Ray Piggers on September 07, 2014, 05:48:28 pm
SWAC= The SEC of marching bands.

Please - no.  This type of statement is analogous to my trying to make qualitative statements about relative offensive or defensive plays, formations, etc.  I don't do it because I don't know what I'm talking about.

I was wondering when the first band thread would start this fall.  It seems to happen every year on HV.  Sometimes I'm successful at self-control and let it ride without comment, but not usually, and this comment was too much for me.

Several posters in this thread know what they're talking about; most don't.  Most of the comments are opinions, which are fine.  Since I don't want to go into a thesis, I'll limit myself to a few points.

1. My opinion - the band atmosphere at games began to deteriorate with the advent of piped-in canned music and adverts over the PA. It's not that they are bad, per se, it's that there is usually little if any coordination between the marketing and/or athletic folk who want adverts or the latest radio tune with the professionals who are hired to run the band. Thus, the entire package seems disjunct, because it is. Coordinate the package, and you can make the experience much more palatable for the fan.  The problem is that this takes time, which those on either side of the issue have little of.

2. Fact - Marching bands in SEC schools are a mix of music majors and non-music majors. It is true that at big music schools - North Texas, Texas, Indiana, Florida State, etc., most instrumental music majors are not in marching band.  Hey folks, some of these schools have nearly 2,000 music majors. The great majority of instrumental music education majors in nearly every college are in their college marching bands.  Why?  Because they want jobs as high school band directors when they graduate.  Your marketing value as a job applicant for a high school band director is greatly diminished if you come to interview with me and you haven't been in your college marching band.  I'm not interested in you if you haven't had practical experience in the last four years doing something for which you want a job.

3. Do you like your high school marching band? Where do you think the teachers come from?  Do away with college marching band and see how quickly your high school marching band stinks on ice. For that matter, do without your college or your high school marching band for a game or two and see what happens to the spirit in the stands.  Fill up the halftime with dog tricks or whatever and see what happens to the general opinion of your game day.

Terry Bowden used to tell me that his daddy taught him that gameday is an event.  The football game was the most important part of that event, but the band, the cheerleaders, and every other active member of the day was vital to the making the day work.  I've worked with guys who are high school, college, and NFL coaches.  The best ones had a great respect for high school and college marching bands and the enormous amount of energy and effort they expend to do what they do. So should we.

Oh, by the way.  I have very good friends who are SWAC band directors.  They love what they do and they are devoted to the showband style they use.  They don't try to equate their programs with programs in the SEC.  Neither should we.  The last band of that style who could rival in that regard was FAMU, and they messed themselves up by allowing hazing that went all the way to the death of one of the band members. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is okay to say "whatever it takes."

hawkhawg

Quote from: jwaldhog on September 08, 2014, 11:20:41 pm
We have dicks and idiots for fans, that deserve a turrible band or no band at all and a turrible game atmosphere. Our fanbase deserves to get ebola and survive only to die in a horrible accident the next week. Seriously, our fans are no count reprobates and we deserve every awful thing that happens to us.

Im guessing you are in the band.

I enjoy the band more than the piped in music. I especially enjoy the band at basketball games.

jwaldhog

Quote from: hawkhawg on September 09, 2014, 12:12:34 am
Im guessing you are in the band.

I enjoy the band more than the piped in music. I especially enjoy the band at basketball games.

I'm not. I'm just sick of our fanbase. Its truly full of a lot of awful people.

rickm1976

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 07, 2014, 10:57:49 am

...or the athletic department.  Jim Robken showed just how important the band is at athletic events.

Yeah, and there won't be another like him.  Barnhill was electric back in the 70's and 80's.  It just ain't the same now.

John Futrall

Quote from: jwaldhog on September 08, 2014, 11:20:41 pm
We have dicks and idiots for fans, that deserve a turrible band or no band at all and a turrible game atmosphere. Our fanbase deserves to get ebola and survive only to die in a horrible accident the next week. Seriously, our fans are no count reprobates and we deserve every awful thing that happens to us.