Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

marching bands

Started by ballz2thewall, September 07, 2014, 10:25:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ballz2thewall

i'll get flamed but i'm old enough and don't really care.

the days of marching bands are past.  put them to rest, at least as far as football activities are concerned.

no one cares, anymore, except perhaps the parent of a band member.  for half time entertainment i'd much prefer motorcycle jumping, dog acts, or bull fighting.  or, nothing.

what makes matters worse is the modern stadium and television.  i refer in part to the thread regarding the "entrance" wherein music, etc., is discussed.  music is qued abruptly at odd times, often to coordinate with band chatter. 

it has no discernible rhythm at all.  40 seconds of cat scratch fever, then the band chiming a fight song.  its just plain stupid from the stands.

scrap the band and just play music, less blaringly so.

times are-a changing..
The rest of the frog.

Jek Tono Porkins

To be fair, the UofA band is not of great quality. I hate to say it but it's just not. Fundamental things like marching technique, staying in step, posture, horn angle, etc. are not there. They sound pretty good, though.

Go up to Michigan or OSU or Wisconsin and tell them that the days of marching bands are gone.

This is a pretty common thing. At my old high school, parents sometimes complained about the band for whatever reason, but when the team would go play an away game 2 hours away, guess what the parents bitched about? They bitched that the band didn't come.

I don't even think we have to get into the discussion of what nixing the marching band would do to the UofA music department...
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on September 07, 2014, 10:47:58 am
To be fair, the UofA band is not of great quality. I hate to say it but it's just not. Fundamental things like marching technique, staying in step, posture, horn angle, etc. are not there. They sound pretty good, though.

Go up to Michigan or OSU or Wisconsin and tell them that the days of marching bands are gone.

This is a pretty common thing. At my old high school, parents sometimes complained about the band for whatever reason, but when the team would go play an away game 2 hours away, guess what the parents bitched about? They bitched that the band didn't come.

I don't even think we have to get into the discussion of what nixing the marching band would do to the UofA music department...

...or the athletic department.  Jim Robken showed just how important the band is at athletic events.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ballz2thewall

yeah, i do get every bit of that.  i'm speaking primarily from a fan perspective in modern times.  with jumbotrons, music and the like, the band just has very little room.

which, i guess could invite a change in perspective.  i mean, why is it now necessary to try and attract people with piped music?

have people somehow changed?  more musically attractable?  i don't think so.

it seems that the piped music is filler that is justified by allegedly targeting the younger set. 

with music?? 

i ramble with this.  classic rock seems to be regarded by the bosses as safe for everyone.  really though, the youngsters could care less about classic rock.

actually i'm ok with just the band.  my post about scrapping the band was largely paying heed to the apparent direction of things.  the way it works now is just awful, mixing the two.

the dj complaints on the other thread are telling and i've experienced it too.  the way the music starts and stops is terribly annoying, even if the timing is perfect.

i'll be darned; i've talked myself full circle - MORE BAND!
but lets have some real william tell at halftime:)
The rest of the frog.

Oklahawg

The piped in music yesterday was worse than ever. It was...sophomorish, like something you'd experience at some backwards ass HS game in the middle of nowhere.

The pregame entry video was...Chuck, Keith and Quinn talking about the opponent? Did something get cued up wrong??

While the band continues to return to elite status after a too-long hiatus under Dorf on Band (Gunter) the BAC continues to entrust gameday atmosphere to a complete goober.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Wildhog

Seriously, don't have children.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Sed76

I'd much rather hear the band than Jay Z, whatever garbage they are pumping through the sound system.

Hoggish1

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 07, 2014, 11:03:51 am
The piped in music yesterday was worse than ever. It was...sophomorish, like something you'd experience at some backwards ass HS game in the middle of nowhere.

The pregame entry video was...Chuck, Keith and Quinn talking about the opponent? Did something get cued up wrong??

While the band continues to return to elite status after a too-long hiatus under Dorf on Band (Gunter) the BAC continues to entrust gameday atmosphere to a complete goober.

It was pretty awesome at Mississippi State. The band went mostly unnoticed..
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ricepig

Supposedly, the sound/entrance issues arose right after the player introductions.

Science Fiction Greg

Me and my redneck friends don't like marching bands is not the same as "no one cares anymore."
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

The band is a lot better than it was just a few years ago even. Their lines are crisp, and they have good drill (ie the formations they march in) to go with the music. It wasn't too long ago they hardly ever matched and played at the same time. They put in a ton of hours to learn new shows every week.  So let up a little bit.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on September 07, 2014, 11:40:20 am
Watch Ohio St. Band March.

Saturday night their theme was Batman. They formed a Batmobile, the Bat Signal, and several others. Looked like a great show. Our tired old band can barely make a block A.

Also, they have become like Tennessee. The only thing they seem to play anymore is the fight song.

Guess what, Sherlock...if a team scores over 70 points you're gonna hear the fight song a lot.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Bucksnort

Couldn't care less about the band. Bring in talent sponsored by Wal*Mart at halftime.

BigSexyHog

I agree screw the damn bands.... they are a waste of time.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Ex-Trumpet

I swear Clay Travis is proving to be a prophet...we ARE the dumbest fan base.

ricepig

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 07, 2014, 01:09:02 pm
I swear Clay Travis is proving to be a prophet...we ARE the dumbest fan base.

Has he updated his poll, we were only 4th. Good to see we're moving in the right direction.

BorderPatrol

Sounds like most of yall need to go watch the NFL, not NCAA football.

Ignorance abound around this place now these days.

bp

Calvin Swine

1.  The piped in music is terrible in between plays.  It's where the band shines.  Save the piped in stuff for pregame, post game, quarters and half when the band is done so you can hear the entire piped in tune.  The volume up, volume down, play a snippet with no words here, play a song with words there... it all fell flat on its face.

2.  We need to revamp pregame and bring a Big 10 band flair to our marching band.  Seriously, we get embarrassed in every bowl game when our band compares against a Big 10 band.  It's not our band's fault, it's the directors coupled with outdated and lack of flair in the pregame.

3.  All halftime shows need to be entertaining and not just for the 70's Earth Wind and Fire crowd.  I'm not talking play a few tunes and throw a couple formations that people can say, "*Yawn* Oh yeah that's nice".  I mean true entertainment where people are looking forward to the show.  Big 10 bands do a good job with this as well as African American College bands (we may be a little too *ahem* pale face for this direction). 

4.  College bands are part of what makes up the college game experience.  It's as part of it as the stickers on the helmets. 

I enjoyed the Frozen show because my 9 year old daughter thought it was the greatest thing ever.  I've little beef with it other than the arrangements were so so and the band did little to dress up the show to suck you in and keep your attention outside of the music itself.

Too often band directors write a show geared to appeal to their peers and not Joe Sixpack.  I was in the Razorback band all throughout college and I always scratched my head at why the crap we were playing another "Over The Rainbow" show.  Director's get caught up in making a marching band overly concert season sounding (as if it were performing in an arts theater).  There's nothing wrong with that at all!  But, Joe Sixpack doesn't get it if the phrases aren't being dropped.  He doesn't care if the horns are sticking out too much in the decrescendo.  He wants to be entertained.  He wants to nudge his wife/ buddy and grin and say, "Look at that!"

I'll end it with that as I wrote more than I intended and more than most will read anyway. 

Pig Worshipper

Actually, it probably wouldn't degrade the quality of the music department at all. I'm not sure about the U of A, but most college marching bands are filled by non-music majors. The music departments don't want their really good music major students to participate in marching bands for several reasons - big time commitment, bad playing technique habits formed, etc.
I love marching bands. The Big Ten is definitely the SEC of college marching bands, if you catch my drift. They work hard at it, show intelligence and imagination and integrate it very well with the games. It is possible to make our marching band program relevant again but it starts at the top. You can't just hire someone with a doctorate in instrumental music. Many of those folks have disdain for marching bands and, thus, are lukewarm as leaders. There are passionate, dedicated marching band directors out there. If our band isn't doing the job, time to find one of those enthusiastic leaders.

Calvin Swine

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on September 07, 2014, 01:45:52 pm
The Big Ten is definitely the SEC of college marching bands...
This is certainly true.

I will say though I have no doubt our band works hard.  They just work hard in the direction they are pointed.  This is where the change at the top and/ or a change in focus needs to occur.

As for the U of A music department, most of the professors (at least it was this way 20 years ago) would be giddy if the band went away.  They loved to look down their noses in disdain at the band department.  Never mind far more people see the band than a harpsichord with string accompaniment recital.     

Bucksnort

I'm pleased they got rid of that high school looking pig snout to run through at the start of a game, but a cattle gate?  What would be cool is for Tusk to be at the head of the pack, on a leash, of course.

RazorbackRon

Chuck, Keith and Quinn talking about the opponent was a part of the radio feed that was not supposed to come over the stadium sound system.  It was a part of the terrible day of the stadium audio that included nothing but bass pumping out of the north end speakers and feedback in the 2nd half that drove everyone crazy.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

root_hawg

I like the band playing; its a reminder to go to the bathroom

nationwish

A lot of people simply have no interest in marching bands. Others prefer to hear the band than recorded music. I'd be willing to bet that the majority would rather listen to songs they hear on the radio than the band, despite what the message board demographic shows. Having said that, there's no reason to insult each other for your preferences. Calling someone a redneck because they don't like marching bands makes you sound like a snob, while insulting someone who wants to hear the band makes you sound uncultured.

ballz2thewall

my original point was more that modern college football is a new event where old formulas don't really work anymore.

having an effective band is like fielding an effective military; not an easy thing to do.

and i'm also recognizing that there is a trend that is hell-bent on modernizing up the experience.  before jumbotrons and music, there was only the band.

its not the same anymore.  i suppose there are lots of reasons but one of them is recruiting. the bigger the bang the better the attraction.  bands, for the most part, do not fit within the concept, at least not the way most of them are used.

stadium masters and athletic departments are trying to lure people away from televisions and attend games.  ironically one of the tools used is the same media formerly housed in a living room.  its now moved into the stadium. 

more and more music will be synced to video on the screens.  the bands will continue to be marginalized.

someone also said about bands and the music department.  the two are barely related, at least within the student population.  band members are not music majors as a rule.  in fact, the music department would likely thrive more if resources were not folded into the marching band.

that said, i'm not against bands at all.  but i do see the sign of the times.  modernization takes its casualties and the band is one of them.
The rest of the frog.

Hogs07

Bands can easily be incorporated into a modern college football environment, they just have to be made a part of it.  Take LSU for example.  They have an extremely good and effective band.  Why?  Because the athletic dept and fans make it a priority. 

For starters, the Tiger Band is mic'd and their sound is sent through speakers on the field that have an individual time delay for each speaker so when the sound wave from the band reaches each speaker, the mic'd sound is also sent through the speaker.  No delay means people get a much more natural sound, just amplified for the various parts of the stadium. 

At LSU, the students and crowd in general participates in all the band cheers and it is very effective.  The Razorback band has several such cheers (and has added more this year) that would be easy for all fans to get involved with.  Everyone just has to do it! 

Placement is also a big issue.  Where the Razorback band sits, they project well to the west side directly across from them.  If you are on the east side, however, you are going to have a much more difficult time hearing the band because the band's sound is so directional.  This is where the speakers would be very helpful. 

Ray Piggers

SWAC= The SEC of marching bands.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

harley spoon

Aggie band is hugely popular in Aggieland.  Fans wouldn't dream of exiting at halftime and missing their performance.  Most fans stand and cheer their entire performance at halftime.  Most opposing fan bases strongly cheer them as well for the two road trips a year they make.  Was a shame that they couldn't be accommodated at halftime last year in Fayettville.  In any event, they can always be seen at Jerry World. 

hobhog

Halftime show is for the women and children. The intro needs work for sure....

Granny fan

Quote from: Sed76 on September 07, 2014, 11:34:30 am
I'd much rather hear the band than Jay Z, whatever garbage they are pumping through the sound system.

+1

PorcineSublime

Much of this is a moot point considering that unless you are next to, or directly across from the band you aren't hearing them anyway. I've always wondered why they didn't have them mic'd up in some way so the whole stadium could hear.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

ricepig

Quote from: PorcineSublime on September 07, 2014, 06:57:21 pm
Much of this is a moot point considering that unless you are next to, or directly across from the band you aren't hearing them anyway. I've always wondered why they didn't have them mic'd up in some way so the whole stadium could hear.
Have you not noticed, we have sound issues, lol. Didn't they try it a few years ago and the sound was delayed a lot out of the speakers?

Oklahawg

Thank you.

I was with a friend who grew up going to Ohio State games. He said that several of the B1G schools have employed acoustic engineers to figure out where their bands should sit to (along with student section locations) maximize crowd participation and crowd noise.

He also said, "that was nice - I find the stick-figure drawings to be so crude they aren't even cute."

You need to notice Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina before handing it over to the B1G.

Oklahoma hired an assistant at Wisconsin and you'd swear that they were canceling band one year into his reign.

Perspective.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

tophawg19

I think i read where the Ohio State band director quit last year . this is what we need . his marching formations were awesome . including the moon walking tribute to Micheal Jackson
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ricepig

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 07, 2014, 07:18:14 pm
I think i read where the Ohio State band director quit last year . this is what we need . his marching formations were awesome . including the moon walking tribute to Micheal Jackson

He was fired for allowing hazing.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11259458/ohio-state-buckeyes-fire-band-director-harassment-probe

Pig Worshipper

The purists would sniff at this idea but I actually think it has merit. Of course, you'd want to have a good sound system to run it through or it would be counter-productive.
Last night, during the Michigan-Notre Dame game one of the bands, I'm assuming Notre Dame's, was playing very recent pop tunes (like within the last year) and doing a really nice job.
Regarding the fact that music departments look down on their college band programs as if they're ugly step-sisters - this is absolutely true and, if I were king of the college band world, I'd place marching bands outside the jurisdiction of the music department.
It would be possible to have a great marching band program at the U of A, but, like anything else, you'd have to have an administration that really committed to it and a dynamic band director who really loved band music as much, or more, than he loved Prokofiev.

tophawg19

thanks Rice . he has reformed . let's hire him lol
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hogs07

The band has been mic'd before, but without individual delays, it doesn't work.  To be effective, there has to be a delay built into the individual speakers.  A general delay on the entire system won't do anything to help. 

Smokehouse

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 07, 2014, 07:06:14 pm

Oklahoma hired an assistant at Wisconsin and you'd swear that they were canceling band one year into his reign.

Perspective.

I'm at OU now and the pandemonium about the band was hilarious, as an outsider with marching band experience.

I don't have a frame of reference for OU tradition to know for myself, but I was told he changed their pregame show before the first game, then halftime of the second game they had a set where it looked like they formed a giant "w" on the field. Likely unintentional, still really dumb.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

greghog

Quote from: ballz2thewall on September 07, 2014, 10:25:43 am
i'll get flamed but i'm old enough and don't really care.

the days of marching bands are past.  put them to rest, at least as far as football activities are concerned.

no one cares, anymore, except perhaps the parent of a band member.  for half time entertainment i'd much prefer motorcycle jumping, dog acts, or bull fighting.  or, nothing.

what makes matters worse is the modern stadium and television.  i refer in part to the thread regarding the "entrance" wherein music, etc., is discussed.  music is qued abruptly at odd times, often to coordinate with band chatter. 

it has no discernible rhythm at all.  40 seconds of cat scratch fever, then the band chiming a fight song.  its just plain stupid from the stands.

scrap the band and just play music, less blaringly so.

times are-a changing..

The band was 10 times better than the crap they did pregame or in game, other than the band.  Those kids stood the whole friggen game and played and did cheers, etc.  They get 1 hour of credit for all the time they put in, and it is a lot of time.

razorbrass

Bands became irrelevant when athletic marketers were tasked with making money by selling ad time in the stands.  Most college athletic events are scripted now.  Team scores and instead of keeping the fans engaged we are going to try and sell you some petit jean smoked ham.  The other part of that is the people calling the shots have no idea how to effectively use a band.    Things that have not changed college athletics for the better:
1) Athletic Marketers
2) Video Boards
3) Supersonic sound systems that when used cause you to need to have a bowl movement

College athletics has lost its way.  It is too busy trying to be like the NFL.  It is losing its unique atmosphere and the bands are part of that.  I think the OP is correct in saying that time has passed marching bands by - only because the things they do well are not being utilized by those running the show.  If you want a rockin game day atmosphere turn it over to the band directors and let them run the show.   
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

GB-Razorback

Quote from: ricepig on September 07, 2014, 01:10:31 pm
Has he updated his poll, we were only 4th. Good to see we're moving in the right direction.

Don't worry ... if he reads this thread, we'll be back to at least 2nd in the poll with a real shot at #1 again shortly. 
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tanks of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.<br /><br />Jake: Hit it.

Westcoasthog

ball 22-the wall - why would you make a stupid remark about college bands are of the past?

shotgun7

I must disagree. Me and my wife went to the Auburn game last year. It was the first game we had ever been to, we were up in the 500's and the band was playing the fight song some members of the band came all the way up to where we were and played it was very cool IMHO!

BorderPatrol

Quote from: shotgun7 on September 08, 2014, 02:53:53 am
I must disagree. Me and my wife went to the Auburn game last year. It was the first game we had ever been to, we were up in the 500's and the band was playing the fight song some members of the band came all the way up to where we were and played it was very cool IMHO!

Yep, they do it every game.

People just bitch around here to see themselves bitch.

bp

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Westcoasthog on September 08, 2014, 02:39:13 am
ball 22-the wall - why would you make a stupid remark about college bands are of the past?

one must read to find the answer.
The rest of the frog.

Craig O Squeal

Just crazy talk, but what if (and not saying it should be Arkansas to do it) a school piped in their play-by-play team over the speakers instead? So many folks listen to the game on their headsets that I wonder if it would be cool to listen to the call of a RB taking it to the house while watching it live?

rzrbaxfan

Yeah, not everyone appreciates the band...I get that.  But a lot of folks do and it's not just their parents.  Without the band there's no running through the "A" before the game, no "go hogs" spell out to end half time, no fight song, no 2001 space odyssey before the 4th quarter.  Every school has tradition built around the band.  It's something that does not exist in pro sports and adds to the experience of attending a live college sporting event.

I never played in a marching band.  But I'll admit that the hair stands up on my arms when I hear the drum cadence when they march in.  The first 7 notes of the fight song get me on my feet and ready to yell my head off for the team.

It's ok if you don't like it.  But don't assume that your opinion is the same as everyone else.