Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sound System and crowd interaction

Started by Jcart2443, September 07, 2014, 08:43:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRyan

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 07, 2014, 10:34:03 am
That's good to hear...I just hate that most college games are becoming like Idiocracy/NFL. 

Cowboys games have zero advertising. 

Hawg2afault

Quote from: PorkRyan on September 07, 2014, 10:11:35 am
Entrance was the most laughable thing the UA has done since Hugo Bezdek.  The team was in a hog pen getting suffocated by smoke for about a minute.  There was no sound over the PA except Keith and Chuck talking in the booth.  Then the team just entered the field.  No music.  It was just awful.  How hard it is to show some highlights play a good rock song and enter the field? 

The new sound system was messed up even worse.  You couldn't hear very well on the East side of the stadium.  It sounded muffled.  Then it sounded like a fog horn in the second half numerous times.  We need to get a refund on the new system.

Even worse than all of that was the new DJ.  There was no flow to when he played music.  Numerous times he played loud music when we were in the huddle on OFFENSE.  Someone in the red seats in 112 yelled for him to shut the f up at one point.  The DJ is using a different sound system.  His sound system sucked worse than the PA system.  It was just noise filled bass.  There were times the band, DJ, and the PA were all blasting noise at the same time.

I've been going to game since 1981.  Today was the worst game atmosphere that I have ever seen at a Razorback game.  It had nothing to do with the fans, and everything to do with the UA trying too hard.  There were no game stats, no scores from other games, just pulsating noise coming from a ** speaker setup in the North endzone.  They are making it really easy to stay home and watch games on tv.
I agree!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: PorkRyan on September 07, 2014, 10:37:30 am
Cowboys games have zero advertising. 

It's more like a strip club atmosphere, which needs no advertising!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Big Daddy

Quote from: wupigsuey on September 07, 2014, 09:34:21 am
At one point I heard AC/DC playing Back in Black. I doubt many students even know who that is.

Students don't pay the bills.

PorkRyan

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 07, 2014, 10:41:27 am
It's more like a strip club atmosphere, which needs no advertising!

I agree with that.

twistitup

Quote from: wupigsuey on September 07, 2014, 09:34:21 am
At one point I heard AC/DC playing Back in Black. I doubt many students even know who that is.

Exactly- it's lame the 10 millionth time you hear it - we need to freshen things up. It's like we are waaayyy behind the times and trying to catch up but failing miserably on technology / sound quality front.

When all else fails dammit...just play Jump Around that will fix things-  joke!
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

twistitup

Quote from: Big Daddy on September 07, 2014, 10:52:14 am

? Tuition ?

Don't discount student importance when it comes to stadium atmosphere

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

twistitup

Ex-Trumpet

twistitup

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 07, 2014, 11:02:09 am
Well, she doesn't listen to AC/DC either...

Neither does 99.99% of everybody else

Carl Lazlo

It'd be great if they'd delete the "jump around" music file. Arkansas is not Nebraska. Embarrassing

razorquack

My audio experience was a 1 out of 10.
The pep squad should control how the crowd gets involved.
The band should be second.
The PA announcer should be third.
Don't interrupt the fan involvement by sticking needless noise in over the PA, the noise is deafening.  During timeouts we should call the hogs instead of listening to bad rock/heavy metal/country and western music.
I could take or leave the fireworks after scores.  The entrance was sad at best. 
I like the jumbo-tron and watching replays, but where are the stats and the scores for other games?

This is a BIG business, run it like a BIG business.  Take a survey to see what your fans want.  Don't do what Auburn/Alabama/ Texass A&M do badly.

Arkansasno1

Quote from: twistitup on September 07, 2014, 10:59:24 am
? Tuition ?

No tuition goes to athletics, it's actually the other way around.  The athletic dept donates to the academic side for students.  That money comes from the aforementioned 40 year old white male upper middle class.
"Be content and resigned to God's will."
~Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

twistitup

Quote from: Arkansasno1 on September 07, 2014, 11:17:34 am
No tuition goes to athletics, it's actually the other way around.  The athletic dept donates to the academic side for students.  That money comes from the aforementioned 40 year old white male upper middle class.

40 year old white males is exactly what the atmosphere yesterday reminded me of - not a good thing

Jump Around is awesome, right?

jacobp

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on September 07, 2014, 11:06:09 am
It'd be great if they'd delete the "jump around" music file. Arkansas is not Nebraska. Embarrassing
Wisconsin?

ricepig

The music when we are on defense is in response to the new SEC regs which allow for that, i.e. to combat the cowbell at Moo St, etc. The DJ is suppose to play when we are on defense, the band will play when we are on offense at appropriate times. The stats were a glitch, supposedly back by the next game.

I don't know why Mike Waddell left to go to Illinois, reported differences with his bosses, but he was on top of the "new" traditions. He left at what most would say was a bad time, late August, and his replacement just landed. I have no idea if it would have been better witty Mike, but he seemed to communicate well with the fans.

Ramtough

It's the same atmosphere I always see up there. It's like the fans up there are watching a bad movie.

ricepig

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on September 07, 2014, 11:31:14 am
The whole game day experience has sucked for years. I used to get jacked up to go to the games, but I really have no interest in being blasted by that crap for 4 hours, with intermittent Petit Jean Ham commercials. Meanwhile ticket prices continue to rise when the product is not any better. Plus, I have small children now, so two gripes there. 1. The razorbacks are the only professional or college team that I have been to where you cannot check in a stroller. 2. The hogs are also the only sports team that I have seen that charges for children 3 or younger. I had to buy a ticket for my 1 year old last game I went to? How about making it a little more family friendly. So instead of selling 1 extra ticket by charging for a toddler, they lost the sale of 2 other tickets because I'm not gonna pay for that.

Yeah because you always wanted a mom and dad and their two under 3 year olds sitting in 2 seats next to you??

LRHawg

I could hear the feedback on TV and thought it was SEC network issues.

For those of you that went, send Jeff an Email/tweet.

Hawgzinbowlz

Arkansas Fans need Jeff Long to have a Jack Crowe moment.
Continued production quality like Saturdays is unacceptable.

" GO HOGS "

CallThemHawgs!

At one point, they were having issues with something and it sounded like you were inside a bell that had just been rung for about 5 minutes.

Nearly deafening.

Im a fan of some of the piped in music, definitely helps during a big game. But yesterday was definitely rough.

Keep in mind folks, how many commercials do you remember hearing yesterday? Yup....

Professor Psychosis

FWIW, the broadcast wasn't top notch either.  Announcers didn't know names, whoever was directing the camera shots wasn't very good at that either.  It was obvious that the SEC Network was stretched a little thin on talent yesterday.  Too many games.

Dr. Starcs

The announcers made a couple mistakes but I actually enjoyed their call. The camera work was pretty bad though.

Arazorbackguy1

How can Long focus on the Gameday atmosphere when he spends so much time posturing for other jobs.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

RebelAt

Last month or possibly even July, the Razorbacks facebook page asked people to suggest the songs they wanted to hear during the game.  I haven't a clue how much of a role that played in the song selections.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on September 07, 2014, 11:35:50 am
Better than drunks.

No difference except I would rather be next to a quiet drunk.  Rowdy ones are like small kids - can't be still, bumps into everyone around them, stands up and turn their backs to the game to say something you can't understand, spills darn on fans around them, waves things around forcing people to watch them.

They are charging you for a seat.  It doesn't matter the age of the person. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Piggfoot

I like the football, the band and of course the Cheerleaders. The rest not at all. A live football game for some, maybe most has become a party. They threw a party and a football game broke out.
Someone commented on the Aggie game and how much better the atmosphere was than ours. The Aggie music is timeless their traditions are timeless. Their fans know who they are and they are proud of that through their downs and their ups. Many Arkansas fans have rejected our traditions. They have even changed our most famous yell to a wolf call. At the end of the game perhaps 10 % remained watching football, wanting a glimpse of the up and comming future Razorback stars. The rest had gone to continue the party elsewhere.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Melorock089

Facepalm. We had a ton of recruits there. At least we thrashed Nichols in all phases, hope that was enough.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 07, 2014, 12:07:44 pm
I like the football, the band and of course the Cheerleaders. The rest not at all. A live football game for some, maybe most has become a party. They threw a party and a football game broke out.
Someone commented on the Aggie game and how much better the atmosphere was than ours. The Aggie music is timeless their traditions are timeless. Their fans know who they are and they are proud of that through their downs and their ups. Many Arkansas fans have rejected our traditions. They have even changed our most famous yell to a wolf call. At the end of the game perhaps 10 % remained watching football, wanting a glimpse of the up and comming future Razorback stars. The rest had gone to continue the party elsewhere.

Hammer, meet nailhead. 

That game maybe the only game all year that many players will get extended playing time.  And most missed it.  But, Party on Garth!
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: online-with-swine on September 07, 2014, 10:02:54 am
Those speakers should be placed directly behind the visitors bench at ground level.
LOLZ
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hawg2afault on September 07, 2014, 10:09:25 amthere were NO stats during the game!  No rushing yards, no passing yards, NO NOTHING.  A person sitting next to me suggested that Jeff Long probably wants the fans to purchase an app for that.
lmao, u guys are cmu!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

ClearEyes

Waddell left to be the 2 man at Illinois.  The new Gameday guy was hired in the spring and came from Texas Tech named Elvis Muya.  No joke.  He was in charge of the new entrance out of the fence, the new music scheme and all of the cheerleading calls.  Tough game with the rain and the blowout.  Would reserve judgement until after the Northern illinois game. 

RazorbackRon

who has Jeff Long's email?

Worst audio at a Razorback game ever.   We sit in section 124 (Red Zone) and the booming bass and then the feedback in the 2nd half was terrible.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

codeHog

Long is a piece of crap if he does not make a big deal out of this....to the Arkansas fans.

When you treat paying customers like trash, they can find other places to be

ricepig

Quote from: codeHog on September 07, 2014, 01:13:59 pm
Long is a piece of crap if he does not make a big deal out of this....to the Arkansas fans.

When you treat paying customers like trash, they can find other places to be

Trash?? They had issues and said they were working on them, now if it occurs again, then it's a problem.

TechHawg

I don't know why we ever stopped the players running out at the end of the Hog call. When the crowd yells Razorbacks that is when they are supposed to run out. Some things don't need to change.

ricepig

Quote from: TechHawg on September 07, 2014, 01:22:19 pm
I don't know why we ever stopped the players running out at the end of the Hog call. When the crowd yells Razorbacks that is when they are supposed to run out. Some things don't need to change.

Worked for me.

aaronpjones21

Quote from: PorkRyan on September 07, 2014, 10:11:35 am
Entrance was the most laughable thing the UA has done since Hugo Bezdek.  The team was in a hog pen getting suffocated by smoke for about a minute.  There was no sound over the PA except Keith and Chuck talking in the booth.  Then the team just entered the field.  No music.  It was just awful.  How hard it is to show some highlights play a good rock song and enter the field? 

The new sound system was messed up even worse.  You couldn't hear very well on the East side of the stadium.  It sounded muffled.  Then it sounded like a fog horn in the second half numerous times.  We need to get a refund on the new system.

Even worse than all of that was the new DJ.  There was no flow to when he played music.  Numerous times he played loud music when we were in the huddle on OFFENSE.  Someone in the red seats in 112 yelled for him to shut the f up at one point.  The DJ is using a different sound system.  His sound system sucked worse than the PA system.  It was just noise filled bass.  There were times the band, DJ, and the PA were all blasting noise at the same time.

I've been going to game since 1981.  Today was the worst game atmosphere that I have ever seen at a Razorback game.  It had nothing to do with the fans, and everything to do with the UA trying too hard.  There were no game stats, no scores from other games, just pulsating noise coming from a ** speaker setup in the North endzone.  They are making it really easy to stay home and watch games on tv.

Nailed it. Perfect description.

woodhog14

Quote from: The real Hogules on September 07, 2014, 10:08:15 am
Although the music that seemingly began, almost without fail, 3-4 seconds before the ball was snapped was an annoyance, the single thing that bothered me most was that the up to the minute stats were noticeably missing from the Jumbo-tron throughout the entire game.

Me too!!!!  >:(

bville_hog

Yeah, it was like a negative 5 out of 10!

Besides just the bad sound quality, trying to play a song for the 5-10 secs the offense is in the huddle and then just cutting it abruptly off, even with good sound quality, is just awful no matter the kind of music, plus it also keep the crowd quiet!
playing sound effects for that short time would be much more effective if there are going to do anything.  It was worse than nails on a chalkboard yesterday.

Also agree with the no stats or scores comment.  Stupid.  I don't need to see the score on both sides of the jumbo torn and like they said if you have ATT, no service cuz everyone there is trying to use ATT!

Biggest game day enhancement they could provide???? WORKING FREE WIFI!

hogfan58

Jeff Long is paid is paid to be our our AD, not to do all this other crap. He needs to spend a little more time on the game presentation, or lack thereof, and a little less on the A walk.

No scores of other games, no stats, the team into was a total disaster, the music between plays does nothing, did we EVER call the hogs other than before the game.

The absolute best thing that happened got almost zero response...it was when the Band played "War Pigs". I gave them a standing O...no one else in my section knew why, but when I explained it, they thought it was awesome.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

twistitup

Quote from: ClearEyes on September 07, 2014, 12:56:55 pm
Waddell left to be the 2 man at Illinois.  The new Gameday guy was hired in the spring and came from Texas Tech named Elvis Muya.  No joke.  He was in charge of the new entrance out of the fence, the new music scheme and all of the cheerleading calls.  Tough game with the rain and the blowout.  Would reserve judgement until after the Northern illinois game. 

Elvis better step up his game

ricepig

DoctorSusscrofa

Some of the posts above talk about us missing out on some long held traditions.  We live in a society that trashes traditions.  What do you expect?  We live our daily modern lives trying to get as far away from tradition as possible and then we're surprised we go to a game and they've dropped, changed or obliterated our favorite traditions.  Get used to it. It's the world we created for ourselves.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Calvin Swine

In a word, Horribad. 

From my seats in the outdoor club all you could hear was bass with some noise surrounding it.  Half the time you had trouble making out the tune.  It sounded like a party going on 3 apartments down at 3 A.M., and was just as annoying.

LAHogfan123

September 07, 2014, 02:07:02 pm #96 Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 02:19:55 pm by LAHogfan123
Quote from: Big Daddy on September 07, 2014, 10:52:14 am

Big donors pay the bills, we as the fans going to games and buying Razorback merchandise have a part in paying the bills.

RazorbackRon

Quote from: Calvin Swine on September 07, 2014, 02:04:59 pm
In a word, Horribad. 

From my seats in the outdoor club all you could hear was bass with some noise surrounding it.  Half the time you had trouble making out the tune.  It sounded like a party going on 3 apartments down at 3 A.M., and was just as annoying.

From the SEZ, it sounded like the punk who has his bass turned up so loud in their car that it rattled his windows and my windows, from 3 car lengths away.

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

LAHogfan123

Nice post, +1.

RazorbackRon

They have even changed our most famous yell to a wolf call. At the end of the game perhaps 10 % remained watching football, wanting a glimpse of the up and comming future Razorback stars. The rest had gone to continue the party elsewhere.

I stayed till the end to watch the Hogs score 70+ and I don't care who it was against.  With 90% of the crowd gone by the end of the game, it made the trip back to central AR, the easiest and quickest drive down 540 (I49) after the game ever.

WPS