Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sound System and crowd interaction

Started by Jcart2443, September 07, 2014, 08:43:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: BAHogFan on September 07, 2014, 10:05:56 pm
The sound was outsourced to a production crew. As you already know, the DJ was outsourced as well.
Then they need to fire that DJ and the sound crew. What a collection of Crap music! And as others have said - lose the horrendous 3rd Down song before the next game.

jbcaller

The intro video does have sound anyone who assumes that it doesn't is being ignorant. The issue with hearing the Pregame instead of the sound came straight from someone not doing their job on the sound board. I can assure you anyone involved in gameday preparation is just as upset about the issues on Saturday involving sound as the normal fan.

snoblind

Quote from: jbcaller on September 07, 2014, 11:37:30 pm
The intro video does have sound anyone who assumes that it doesn't is being ignorant. The issue with hearing the Pregame instead of the sound came straight from someone not doing their job on the sound board. I can assure you anyone involved in gameday preparation is just as upset about the issues on Saturday involving sound as the normal fan.

I think everyone commenting in this thread knows that the cut in of Keith and Chuck's broadcast wasn't the plan.  The issue was it happened as well as everything else.  While sound was the major cluster there were numerous other issues. 

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: popcornhog on September 07, 2014, 10:19:26 am
You think that jumbo trons hurt the college atmosphere?

Just my opinion, I guess, but if I couldn't see a play very well or if I miss something -- it's aweful nice to be able to look up and clearly see the replay. It enhances the experience for me.

Funny you mention the JumboTron. On several occasions the replay shown on the PigScreen was actually the play PRIOR to the one just completed. So even that was messed up to some degree...

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Jcart2443 on September 07, 2014, 08:43:28 am
I know they fired the gentleman that was in charge of Jumbotron sound and crowd interaction about a month ago. They had an epic fail trying to piece together anything respectable. It was the worst I have seen anywhere. Indoor club had awful rifs before the plays. No consistancy and failing sound. How can this happen with so long to prep??

Biggest dissapointment was no fireworks as my kids look forward to that.

Was I the only one that noticed this? Anybody over 50 around me was extremely irritated.

It was bad. I even listen or have CDs of this music but the way it's presented is horrible. It doesn't have to be EVERY play. It doesn't have to be so loud. It can be timed better. The band doesn't even get to play. The intro for the players running out on the field was all messed up. The scores from other games were lacking. Even the postgame celebratory singing of the fight song was messed up...the players were ready to go and had to wait while the band finished playing 'Hard to be Humble' for the second time. (I know they always play it twice...but still the players were standing there waiting, some of them even walked away)

Awesome game...trainwreck everywhere else.

Slowly but surely Jeff Long is corporatizing and mucking up every last tradition there is.

HognitiveDissonance

For a small defense...for whatever reason, these stadiums have 'all summer' to work on these things yet glitches prevail. How horrible was Auburn's performance last week. At the very start of the game, the clock malfunctioned. Does anyone know how to test? And we all know how the elevator malfunctioned.

I've never been to a game at War Memorial Stadium where everything worked correctly.

How hard is it to test all of this stuff?

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: twistitup on September 07, 2014, 09:25:51 am
Why does any school still play cheesy songs from 20+ yrs ago? Who are they trying to connect to? We can do better than House of Pain
Sweet Caroline??

PP

hogfan58

Quote from: DukeOfPork on September 07, 2014, 08:07:40 pm
Okay, so why did you give them a standing ovation? 

Is it just because it has the word "pigs" in the title?  Cause if that's the only reason then, well, that's kinda corny.

It showed creativity from the band, something it has been lacking for years; It's a VERY cool song; "War Pigs", just the name itself sounds awesome; I was tired of the fricking DJ crap and while I normally hate most of what the band plays, his was WAY better than the mic feedback and garbage from DJ Bret
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

riccoar

I liked the intro, though there was no buildup to it like there should have been.  Also, ditto on the sound.  People kept looking back during the National Anthem because the jackwagon doing the sound didn't turn it off and you could hear the radio just below the band playing.  That in and of itself was an EPIC fail.  I liked the music that was being played, but it was not on queue.

The Marmot

Quote from: popcornhog on September 07, 2014, 09:33:30 am

My only complaint was that we couldn't take our drinks back to our seats (I know you could in the indoor club). What the heck? So if you want a drink you can't watch the game? What's the point?

It was expected and explained in the email but really stupid once it was truly implemented.

So it was explained to you in the email that you wouldn't be able to take the drinks back to your seats in the outdoor club, but you were upset that you couldn't take the drinks back to your seats in the outdoor club once you were at the game?

Makes sense.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

The Marmot

It was the worst attempt I've ever seen at a Hog football game. The music selection was terrible, it sounded terrible, there was feedback over the system, the team intro was non-existent. And they removed the game stats from the screen!!!

Someone should lose their job(s) today.

Here is South Carolina last weekend:

Now, I know its A&M, but its night and day.

I will also say that while the UA screwed up royally Saturday, the fans have sometimes been the problem when the UA has done well. Its takes effort from both the program and the fans to make the gameday experience truly great.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

010HogFan

Quote from: BOAR'N LEGACY on September 07, 2014, 07:28:14 pm
We need to play Lil Jon - "Turned down for what" That's a fresh hype song that would help get the crowd into the game! At least my opinion anyway. GO HOGS! :razorback:

NO. NO. NO. That song is half the problem we're talking about here. They need to delete the file yesterday.

EastexHawg

Quote from: wupigsuey on September 07, 2014, 09:34:21 am
At one point I heard AC/DC playing Back in Black. I doubt many students even know who that is.

Seriously?  You doubt they know who they are?  I ran a hotel and attached bar in a college town years ago.  Every time we played You Shook Me All Night Long after last call the place went insane.  There were girls climbing on tables and trying to get on the bar to do something that was supposed to be dancing but might get you arrested for public lewdness in some counties.  All that despite the fact that the music was probably popular when they were in diapers...if they had even been born.

tbhogfan

Quote from: lechon on September 08, 2014, 01:01:52 am
I guess we could get some Lawrence Welk for you old blue hair ultra conservatives..........Geezzzz

Mr Welk would have ripped someone's throat out if the sound system sounded that bad.  :)
Go Hogs!

hog.goblin

Quote from: twistitup on September 07, 2014, 11:22:50 am
40 year old white males is exactly what the atmosphere yesterday reminded me of - not a good thing

Jump Around is awesome, right?

As a 41-year old white male I completely disagree.  I have no idea what they were trying to accomplish saturday, but it was truly awful.

No variation in music, bad timing with the music, bad feedback in the PA, just overall awful.

hoghart

Quote from: BAHogFan on September 07, 2014, 10:05:56 pm
FYI... I'm making no excuses for the overall game day environment, but the sound coming from the Big Board was not controlled by the Athletic department's team. The Athletic department controlled cameras, replays and advertisements (images only) while the sound was outsourced to a production crew. As you already know, the DJ was outsourced as well. Even the best laid plans sometimes do not work out. Like everyone else on this thread, I'm looking forward to seeing what changes will be made for the next home game. 
Whether they subcontracted this work out or not, the Athletic Dept is responsible.  To say they are not is about like the Obama crew blaming the people they hired to do the Obamacare website.  Any manager knows you have to MANAGE people and contractors working for you.

I would rate the game atmosphere at a 1 out of 10, and I attribute 100% of that to the piss-poor sound and video work.  Another poster correctly noted that even if there is no screw-up on the audio, a large chunk of the audience is not going to like the song being played.   The answer to me is don't play any songs over the PA.  Just let the RMB play.
"It is better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it."
Abraham Lincoln

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: lechon on September 08, 2014, 01:01:52 am
I guess we could get some Lawrence Welk for you old blue hair ultra conservatives..........Geezzzz

At least the blue in our hair is actually blue everyday, and not blue some days, green others, and purple with gold and silver glitter on others.  ;D
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

snoblind

Quote from: tbhogfan on September 08, 2014, 09:48:55 am
Mr Welk would have ripped someone's throat out if the sound system sounded that bad.  :)

No kidding.

Quote from: hog.goblin on September 08, 2014, 10:01:20 am
As a 41-year old white male I completely disagree.  I have no idea what they were trying to accomplish saturday, but it was truly awful.

No variation in music, bad timing with the music, bad feedback in the PA, just overall awful.

The troll attempts at the older folks are amusing.  What the folks who didn't attend the game don't seem to get is our whining is about the incompetence.

Redhogs

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on September 07, 2014, 08:47:55 am
Waddell wasn't fired. The coordination was definitely off. Our game day experience will always be a mess because our fans suck. The fireworks are lame anyway. The people over 50 who complained probably were mad they were piping in hip hop music.
Let's blame the fans...again..seems to be a popular theme for eveything football here on Hogville..sad.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

The Marmot

Quote from: jbcaller on September 07, 2014, 11:37:30 pm

If you know the people in charge of the pre-game presentation and intro design, please tell them to get their sh*t together.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

ricepig

Quote from: The Marmot on September 08, 2014, 12:52:04 pm
If you know the people in charge of the pre-game presentation and intro design, please tell them to get their sh*t together.

Yeah, like they weren't going to anyway, I'm sure they'll heed your request......

hogsanity

Ok, incompetence should not be tolerated, BUT........ I remember my 1st game in Fay, 1979, Hogs vs Houston. I don't remember the PA, or if there was any music except for the band.  I don't know what they sold in the way of concessions.  I didn't care then and I don't care now. All I remember was watching every play of the game, and being crushed when Ish Ordonez had his kick blocked on the last play of the game, would have been a tie, but that still would have been better than a loss.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The Marmot

Quote from: ricepig on September 08, 2014, 12:54:36 pm
Yeah, like they weren't going to anyway, I'm sure they'll heed your request......

Its a message board. Get over it.

And we have had many more bad/mediocre pre-games than really good ones. So whoever they are, they need as much motivation as possible.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

PorkerOinker

Quote from: The Marmot on September 08, 2014, 08:32:48 am
It was the worst attempt I've ever seen at a Hog football game. The music selection was terrible, it sounded terrible, there was feedback over the system, the team intro was non-existent. And they removed the game stats from the screen!!!

Someone should lose their job(s) today.

Here is South Carolina last weekend:

Now, I know its A&M, but its night and day.

I will also say that while the UA screwed up royally Saturday, the fans have sometimes been the problem when the UA has done well. Its takes effort from both the program and the fans to make the gameday experience truly great.

When I seen this live the first thing that popped into my head was we will never see anything like that at a Hog game.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

HogCard

the awful loud feedback whine in the speakers was a killer

TeedupHigh

OMG!  CHANGE?  WE CAN'T HAVE ANY CHANGE!  Everything has been perfect on the HILL for so long that nothing can be CHANGED now can it?  People need to get off there a$$es$, support the football team, coaching staff and everything involved with it OR if you can't get on over to Louisville or Auburn because that is what all the bitchin is about anyway!  Just let it go people, the gus bus has gone and so is little bobby!!!  Turn up the sound and make these folks ears bleed please!!!

The Marmot

Quote from: PorkerOinker on September 08, 2014, 01:21:29 pm
When I seen this live the first thing that popped into my head was we will never see anything like that at a Hog game.

We could. If the program would create the right pregame and our fans would get into it.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

PorkerOinker

Quote from: The Marmot on September 08, 2014, 01:30:56 pm
We could. If the program would create the right pregame and our fans would get into it.

This right here is why it will never happen, most of those folks between the 20's on the lower west side have no desire to do anything but the Hog Call.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

DLUXHOG

Quote from: aaronpjones21 on September 07, 2014, 09:01:34 am
I'm 29 years old. The DJ piped in music ...............
..............I'd fire the DJ yesterday and tell the band we'd actually like them to play something other than the fight song again.

I'm sorry.... but I actually LOVE... the fight song.....as many times as the band wants to play it.............
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

PorkRyan

Quote from: PorkerOinker on September 08, 2014, 01:50:50 pm
This right here is why it will never happen, most of those folks between the 20's on the lower west side have no desire to do anything but the Hog Call.

That's BS.  RRS was electric before Shaud went 80 against us.  The Gameday game against Tenn the stadium was out of control the entire night.  Standing and screaming is still the most effective mode of crowd participation. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: TeedupHigh on September 08, 2014, 01:24:03 pm
OMG!  CHANGE?  WE CAN'T HAVE ANY CHANGE!  Everything has been perfect on the HILL for so long that nothing can be CHANGED now can it?  People need to get off there a$$es$, support the football team, coaching staff and everything involved with it OR if you can't get on over to Louisville or Auburn because that is what all the bitchin is about anyway!  Just let it go people, the gus bus has gone and so is little bobby!!!  Turn up the sound and make these folks ears bleed please!!!

There is good change and bad change and it sounds like the overwhelming majority not just a vocal few are saying it was a horrific fail.  How does the UofA know if they are doing something wrong if the fans do not voice their opinion?

This is not about Gus or Bobby.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Simple Swineman

Quote from: PorkRyan on September 07, 2014, 10:11:35 am

I've been going to game since 1981.  Today was the worst game atmosphere that I have ever seen at a Razorback game.  It had nothing to do with the fans, and everything to do with the UA trying too hard.  There were no game stats, no scores from other games, just pulsating noise coming from a ** speaker setup in the North endzone.  They are making it really easy to stay home and watch games on tv.

Spot on. We were talking about this back at our postgame tailgate. The powers that be at the UofA just don't get it. They try and try and try until they are blue in the face, but they don't get it. They don't understand tailgating, they don't understand what makes a good atmosphere, the timing of key situations during the game, pregame, video, and on and on.

I do believe it's actually better now than it used to be, but still have a long ways to go. They've just got to quit trying so hard and let the fans take over. It's not the UofA that will make a great atmosphere. It's the fans.

DukeOfPork

Well, they just played loud music and shook pom poms.  We're not big pom pom people.

That intro was really exciting.  Then A&M walked onto the field and kicked the dog crap out of them for the next 3 1/2 hours.

Quote from: PorkRyan on September 08, 2014, 02:12:20 pm
That's BS.  RRS was electric before Shaud went 80 against us.  The Gameday game against Tenn the stadium was out of control the entire night.  Standing and screaming is still the most effective mode of crowd participation. 

When you win 11 games every year like South Carolina has been doing, that goes a long ways towards pumping everyone up and filling the stadium.

Everytime we start to believe, Shaud goes 80 or Bobby wrecks his bike.  It's inherent to the Razorback Fan Experience.

ricepig

Quote from: Simple Swineman on September 08, 2014, 04:00:23 pm
Spot on. We were talking about this back at our postgame tailgate. The powers that be at the UofA just don't get it. They try and try and try until they are blue in the face, but they don't get it. They don't understand tailgating, they don't understand what makes a good atmosphere, the timing of key situations during the game, pregame, video, and on and on.

I do believe it's actually better now than it used to be, but still have a long ways to go. They've just got to quit trying so hard and let the fans take over. It's not the UofA that will make a great atmosphere. It's the fans.

The fans work against Bama, LSU, or other big games. Fans aren't going to scream their butt off against Nicholls, Mo. St, etc. They are trying to get some enthusiasm going, still a work in progress, but trying. They asked for suggestions this spring and summer, I guess some didn't tweet their choices.

snoblind

Quote from: TeedupHigh on September 08, 2014, 01:24:03 pm

Stupid is no way to go through life.

RazorbackRon

Quote from: snoblind on September 08, 2014, 04:26:42 pm
Stupid is no way to go through life.

Problem is ....some people have no choice.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

hog.goblin

Quote from: DukeOfPork on September 08, 2014, 04:13:38 pm
Everytime we start to believe, Shaud goes 80 or Bobby wrecks his bike.  It's inherent to the Razorback Fan Experience.

The historical reality of this stmt is so accurate it sucks.  Add the Street pass in 1969, and several others...

RazorbackRon

Watching the replay of the game now and you can hear the reverb over the TV broadcast.  Even the SEC announcers just commented about the reverb over the PA system.

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

lechon

if the music is too loud you are too old.....

BUNCH OF WHINING OLD CRUSTY COGERS.....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

Tyro3

Pickwick Hog

Quote from: lechon on September 08, 2014, 05:39:19 pm

I've got a NAD sound system circa 1980 coupled with Polk Audio speakers that will send you through a wall. There's quality loudness and then there's tee-total crap.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

hobhog

You must be really young.....

USCe was coming off 3 top 10 seasons and opening against a top 20 team. I remember some incredible pre game atmospheres at both RRS and WMS. Too long to list.

It's like people think the last three years have been the norm.  Selective memories when depressed I guess.

hobhog

Quote from: lechon on September 08, 2014, 05:39:19 pm

Turn down your base, dude, and pull your pants up and get a job.

RazorbackRon

snoblind

Quote from: Pickwick Hog on September 08, 2014, 05:55:42 pm
I've got a NAD sound system circa 1980 coupled with Polk Audio speakers that will send you through a wall. There's quality loudness and then there's tee-total crap.

Seriously.  There is a good reason I can't hear very well these days.  Stupid is no way to go though life applies to that guy also.

Pickwick Hog

Quote from: hobhog on September 08, 2014, 06:11:46 pm
Turn down your base, dude, and pull your pants up and get a job.

Blown speakers in an 02 Malibu sound good.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

Pickwick Hog

Quote from: snoblind on September 08, 2014, 06:17:03 pm
Seriously.  There is a good reason I can't hear very well these days.  Stupid is no way to go though life applies to that guy also.

No. Unlike you I know better than to turn the volume knob above 3.

snoblind

Quote from: Pickwick Hog on September 08, 2014, 06:21:06 pm
No. Unlike you I know better than to turn the volume knob above 3.

"That guy" referred to the guy you were replying to.  I knew better back in those days, but stuff happens.

Pickwick Hog

Quote from: snoblind on September 08, 2014, 06:27:04 pm
"That guy" referred to the guy you were replying to.  I knew better back in those days, but stuff happens.

My apologies.

snoblind