Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cover Bradley Maquez

Started by HogPsych, September 07, 2014, 08:16:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogPsych

And we win. He's all they have.

LL COOL HOG

Bradley had 3 catches for 33 yards and 3 TD's

Jakeem Grant, 8 catches for 150 yards. Not to bad. I can't assume a win or a loss.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Watching some of the highlights, I saw TT's O line having trouble with UTEP's D line.  TT, on several plays, simply dove at the knees of the UTEP defensive players on the line of scrimmage.

Need to hit those guys square in the mouth early and often.

EDIT:  Wrong thread, but it still applies.  Get to the QB before he throws, and no receiver can catch a ball.  Interrupt the timing of the play, and it makes the likelihood of a turnover go up.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

three hog night

Quote from: The Chief on September 07, 2014, 08:31:42 am
Watching some of the highlights, I saw TT's O line having trouble with UTEP's D line.  TT, on several plays, simply dove at the knees of the UTEP defensive players on the line of scrimmage.

EDIT:  Wrong thread, but it still applies.  Get to the QB before he throws, and no receiver can catch a ball.  Interrupt the timing of the play, and it makes the likelihood of a turnover go up.

UCA and UTEP both disrupted the TT Offensive line.  If our secondary can play press coverage against the small TT WR's then Our def line is where we win the game
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

three hog night

Quote from: The Chief on September 07, 2014, 08:31:42 am

Did you notice how jumpy Webb got when under pressure?
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

Wildhog

Quote from: three hog night on September 08, 2014, 04:17:16 pm

I did.  He's very erratic when pressured.  Accuracy goes waaaay down.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

three hog night

Quote from: Wildhog on September 08, 2014, 04:18:48 pm
I did.  He's very erratic when pressured.  Accuracy goes waaaay down.

Their Oline is so bad we probably won't have to blitz very much and just use a 4 man front for pressure.  This is going to allow us to replace an LB with a Def back for a nickle defense.  We should leave the LB's in coverage so the safeties can help the corners on releases from Press Coverage.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: three hog night on September 08, 2014, 04:35:09 pm
Their Oline is so bad we probably won't have to blitz very much and just use a 4 man front for pressure.  This is going to allow us to replace an LB with a Def back for a nickle defense.  We should leave the LB's in coverage so the safeties can help the corners on releases from Press Coverage.

More TQ.

I think Brooks Ellis has looked pretty good except for in pass coverage.  I hope we don't get exploited over the middle all game.

three hog night

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on September 08, 2014, 04:40:35 pm
More TQ.

I think Brooks Ellis has looked pretty good except for in pass coverage.  I hope we don't get exploited over the middle all game.

TQ may have a break out game this week.  I like Ellis but he has some deficiencies in the pass game.  Who backs him up?

Fayettechill14

Usually, you can't pressure Air Raid teams because they get the ball out so quickly. But this Tech team has had trouble with short, precise routes. Their WRs aren't as athletic as classic Mike Leach teams were and their timing is bad. I think Flowers and Taiwan Johnson could wreck shop up front and force some errors.

They commit a lot of penalties, too. 201 yards in just two games.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: three hog night on September 08, 2014, 04:44:48 pm
TQ may have a break out game this week.  I like Ellis but he has some deficiencies in the pass game.  Who backs him up?

Josh Williams

Stanleyxy

Don't let yourself get too hung up in the stats for our WR only two games in. We surely miss Eric Ward and Jace Amaro who both departed after the Holiday Bowl, but there are lots of up and comers that are starting to showcase their ability.

Marquez is a rockstar and you will definitely have to look for him, but also keep an eye on Reginald Davis and Devin Lauderdale who are both about the same size and have speed to burn. I believe that Davis will break out big later this year while Lauderdale is a workhorse as seen in the following GIF where he makes two seperate blocks to spring our RB for a 75 yard TD run.

Jakeem Grant is tiny, but is one of the largest playmakers on the team. It probably has to do with his legit 4.3 type speed and ability to juke people out of their shoes. His burst is unreal and is why he is expected to have a big season.

None of that is to say the Hogs are outmatched, because they aren't - just cautioning that we are not a one trick pony with Marquez.

RyeHogFan

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 08, 2014, 04:45:04 pm
Usually, you can't pressure Air Raid teams because they get the ball out so quickly. But this Tech team has had trouble with short, precise routes. Their WRs aren't as athletic as classic Mike Leach teams were and their timing is bad. I think Flowers and Taiwan Johnson could wreck shop up front and force some errors.

They commit a lot of penalties, too. 201 yards in just two games.

I hope this is the case Saturday. I believe our LBs will be able to help out more with the passes over the middle since the running threat isn't nearly what it was against Auburn and I don't believe TTU has any All-American types like D. Williams and Coates. The main thing for our secondary is going to be tackling on those WR screens. One missed tackle can turn a 5 yard gain into a 50-yard gain.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: RyeHogFan on September 08, 2014, 04:54:24 pm
I believe our LBs will be able to help out more with the passes over the middle since the running threat isn't nearly what it was against Auburn

They do have two pretty good RBs who have each gone over 150 yds total in the first two games, but yeah, shouldn't be nearly as hard to contain their rushing attack as Auburn w/ Marshall.

GolfnHog

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on September 08, 2014, 05:01:24 pm
They do have two pretty good RBs who have each gone over 150 yds total in the first two games, but yeah, shouldn't be nearly as hard to contain their rushing attack as Auburn w/ Marshall.

True, I don't suspect that Webb will be wanting to keep it to run a zone read.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

three hog night

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on September 08, 2014, 05:01:24 pm

They could gash us with the draw plays while we are focused on a pass rush.

KCHOGFAN

Quote from: Stanleyxy on September 08, 2014, 04:49:05 pm
Don't let yourself get too hung up in the stats for our WR only two games in. We surely miss Eric Ward and Jace Amaro who both departed after the Holiday Bowl, but there are lots of up and comers that are starting to showcase their ability.

Marquez is a rockstar and you will definitely have to look for him, but also keep an eye on Reginald Davis and Devin Lauderdale who are both about the same size and have speed to burn. I believe that Davis will break out big later this year while Lauderdale is a workhorse as seen in the following GIF where he makes two seperate blocks to spring our RB for a 75 yard TD run.

Jakeem Grant is tiny, but is one of the largest playmakers on the team. It probably has to do with his legit 4.3 type speed and ability to juke people out of their shoes. His burst is unreal and is why he is expected to have a big season.

None of that is to say the Hogs are outmatched, because they aren't - just cautioning that we are not a one trick pony with Marquez.
Nice post.  +1

lahawg1

Quote from: three hog night on September 08, 2014, 04:17:16 pm

Quote from: three hog night on September 08, 2014, 04:35:09 pm

Blitz on their first 3 plays, knock the QB down, and apply pressure the rest of the night. He should be hopping by the 2nd real bad.

Hogfan1660

We need to blind side the QB in the first few plays so he will be hearing footsteps the rest of the game! A passing QB hates nothing more than being hit.

scruf

*yawn* I'm already over the "don't over look us" gambit by TTU fans. Let's dispense with this butt whipping already.

three hog night

Quote from: lahawg1 on September 09, 2014, 11:49:46 am
Blitz on their first 3 plays, knock the QB down, and apply pressure the rest of the night. He should be hopping by the 2nd real bad.

You don't have to knock him down much, because he doesn't handle the pocket closing up.  We just need to get a push on their Oline and push them back into the pocket.  Their Oline is not big so they may be quick enough to combat Taiwan Johnson?