Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why

Started by hawgtime, September 06, 2014, 11:46:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgtime

I was only able to catch gamecast... why didn't we have the first team O work more on the passing/timing/routes?  we got the run, but our passing is suspect?

hummmm, any observations from people who saw the actual game?

Pulled(PP)pork

when your starting qb is 4/5 with 4 td's, what more needs to be worked on?

PP

redeye

A few people asked that same question, but I thought we passed plenty.  I do think we need to work on passing, but it needs to be done in practice and not games.

hawgtime

I thought that we might need more work on timing and to more recievers than just 8 completions.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: hawgtime on September 07, 2014, 12:08:19 am
I thought that we might need more work on timing and to more recievers than just 8 completions.

Yes because we don't work on that 12 hours per week in practice.

YtownHog

Quote from: hawgtime on September 06, 2014, 11:46:17 pm
I was only able to catch gamecast... why didn't we have the first team O work more on the passing/timing/routes?  we got the run, but our passing is suspect?

It was 56-0 at halftime.  We scored 5 times on the first play of a drive.  The game was so out of hand so fast we quit throwing the ball (good sportsmanship).

The Boar War

Quote from: hawgtime on September 07, 2014, 12:08:19 am

I honestly think they went in with that purpose in mind.  But we were scoring so easily and often with the first team it was hard to get any reps that might simulate other games (or future 3rd and longs) on the schedule.  After the first two offensive plays went for touchdowns I think the coaches saw it for what it was.

redeye

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 07, 2014, 12:09:45 am
Yes because we don't work on that 12 hours per week in practice.

Then we need to work on it 15 hours per week in practice, because hawgtime is right about needing to work on timing.  We'll never be as efficient throwing the ball as Petrino's offenses, but we need to be better then we have been imo.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on September 06, 2014, 11:48:59 pm

PP

One of your best posts. To the point. Absolutely correct.
Go away, batin'

redeye

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 07, 2014, 12:39:29 am
One of your best posts. To the point. Absolutely correct.

Let's see how many agree after the Alabama game.

Allen had a good game, but the stats don't tell everything.  For example, they don't tell how Hatcher had to come back for the ball on his TD catch.  He got away with it because he was so wide open, but he won't be that wide open against SEC teams.

Big Nasty 34

Guess our players should have just fell down after catching the ball or breaking past the secondary. Would give us more plays to run.

cosmodrum

Quote from: redeye on September 07, 2014, 12:44:06 am

Allen had a good game, but the stats don't tell everything.  For example, they don't tell how Hatcher had to come back for the ball on his TD catch.  He got away with it because he was so wide open, but he won't be that wide open against SEC teams.

That's the throw I worried about, too. But, the competition was so bad it's hard to get meaningful work for BA.
Go away, batin'

redeye

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 07, 2014, 12:46:00 am
That's the throw I worried about, too. But, the competition was so bad it's hard to get meaningful work for BA.

Yea, that's one reason I think we threw plenty. 

HogPound

Gotta love the armchair offensive coordinators.

Hogarusa

Probably because we scored on every other play.  Maybe they worked on it on the sideline
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

bigred223

The throw by Allen to hatcher was ok. When a guy is that wide open throw it at him. No reason to overthrow. That ball he threw against auburn was beautiful. We will keep getting better in the passing game, and I think that will show against tech.

Tusks

hence the name, MMQ

Quote from: HogPound on September 07, 2014, 09:42:02 am
Gotta love the armchair offensive coordinators.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hogfaniam

Cause we could have set an ncaa record for scoring yesterday if we had wanted to.  I've never seen a team have to take their foot off the gas in the first quarter.
I swear some of the band and some intramural guys had to have played the some of the second half.  I saw a few on our defense trying to grab flags but couldn't find them.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Choctaw Hog

Because other players need work as well. Additionally, if Bielema had left some of the starters in and one or more got hurt can you imagine the vitriol aimed at him?  No need to risk injury. 

greenie

When a guy is running SO wide open, I think you might have a tendency to make a "safe" throw...which might be a little short.  I think he would give the ball a different trajectory in tight coverage.  The pass that Keon dropped at Auburn was right on the money...in stride.  I've seen no real evidence yet this year that Brandon Allen is a problem.

secfan30

Alabama, really? I say the Tech game will be a good measuring stick to judge by.

ricepig

He will be if teams have to commit to the run game. I don't know if you watch any of MSU/Oregon, several walk in TD's because the DB's bit on the fakes. Now, would it have been better to have been on the money, sure.

greenie

There were obviously several offensive objectives in the game, including

• Get Willams and Collins 100 yards rushing each.
  • Get Keon's hands on the ball: reverse, kick off return, and a long pass (probably to reinforce his confidence and show CBB's confidence in him).
  • Get Brandon Allen 100 yards passing.
  • Get as many of the young players involved as possible.

With the number of offensive plays we had to work with, just getting these taken care of was a challenge.  You can certainly argue with the objectives...just my take on what they wanted to accomplish looking back on the game.

Hogfaniam

Never played QB have ya...
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Ex-Trumpet

I guarantee you that BA will get a better passing workout in practice than against Nicholls.  They were the worst team I have ever seen at the college level.  I wouldn't be surprised if they had a losing record playing Texas high school teams.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Biggus Piggus

If Arkansas had kept throwing the football, it would have scored 100 points. You think Arkansas would have gotten any credit for that? The only way Nicholls could offer a semblance of resistance was if we kept running the football behind our fourth-team offensive line. That was how we could get to the end of the game without the score looking ridiculous.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Actually, Allen said he placed that pass to Hatcher exactly where he wanted it to go, to give Hatcher an easy chance to make a big play. Confidence, you know. Sometimes these guys actually know what they are doing.
[CENSORED]!

greenie

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 07, 2014, 10:10:37 am
Actually, Allen said he placed that pass to Hatcher exactly where he wanted it to go, to give Hatcher an easy chance to make a big play. Confidence, you know. Sometimes these guys actually know what they are doing.

+1

Chief Mac

did any of you that are biotching notice how many one play drives that ended in touchdowns?  Kind of hard to try "X" number of plays if you are not having to maintain drives. 
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

gmarv

other than a much needed laugher,noway we got much out of this game.i guess alot of younguns got playing time they may not see again this year so theirs that.tt will give us a better read on our team.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 07, 2014, 10:10:37 am

Watching the replay, it looks like he just might have thrown it where he did to prevent that safety coming across from the other side of the field from breaking up the pass.  Just might have been intentional.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

bigred223

At one point in the game we had run 22 plays and had scored 8 Tds I believe. Hard to run many plays when you score that fast.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

That's the million dollar question, isn't it.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: redeye on September 06, 2014, 11:51:34 pm
A few people asked that same question, but I thought we passed plenty.  I do think we need to work on passing, but it needs to be done in practice and not games.
wut?

LAHogfan123

That was discussed on KARK Hog Zone last night with Clint Stoerner, even though he wanted to see way more passes as well, he said the way the game started off with so many one possession scores by the Hogs, the play calling kind of went out the window.  By the end of the 1st half the score was 56-0.  If we'd came out passing a lot during the 2nd half, everyone would accused us of running up the score, CBB dialed everything back as far as he could, we easily could have scored 100 yesterday.

razorsharptusk

I'm concerned as to when our secondary will come up to par.  Many teams we play can throw the ball.  We look unsure and lost.  Where are the recruits to fix this problem? 
GO HOGS!!

Pig in the Pokey

probably meant to but that damn endzone kept getting in the way.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Bacons Rebellion

Going into the game, I wanted to pass a lot, since we needed the work and were obviously going to steamroll Nicholls anyway. But I don't think it would have helped us any.

If anything, playing against a team that it THAT much worse than you can foster bad habits, not good ones.

Biggus Piggus

Only Arkansas fans can gripe about not passing enough in a 66-point win.
[CENSORED]!

Birminghog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 07, 2014, 10:08:16 am
I guarantee you that BA will get a better passing workout in practice than against Nicholls.  They were the worst team I have ever seen at the college level.  I wouldn't be surprised if they had a losing record playing Texas high school teams.

Maybe the worst team the a hogs have played. I don't know. I remember some pretty bad opponents in the 60's & early 70's. I taught in smaller colleges for 21 years. I've seen some pretty bad football teams, certainly worse than Nicholls.

hawkhawg

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on September 06, 2014, 11:48:59 pm

PP

Thank you. How anyone can complain about anything the offense or coaches did in that game is beyond me.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 07, 2014, 03:37:47 pm
Speaking of which, what was the payoff for Nicholls State?
Less than half a mill, which wasn't worth it for a beatdown of that magnitude

scruf

BA is 11th nationally in passing efficiency kthxbye

Fayettechill14

Quote from: bigred223 on September 07, 2014, 09:46:35 am
The throw by Allen to hatcher was ok. When a guy is that wide open throw it at him. No reason to overthrow. That ball he threw against auburn was beautiful. We will keep getting better in the passing game, and I think that will show against tech.

Yeah that's what I thought too. If Hatcher is covered even decently, throw him a leading pass. But QBs are taught that when their guy is that wide open, throw it right at them. Don't risk an underthrow on an easy bomb.

lefty08

Really we have played worse teams from the vantage point of mistakes. Nicholls just got beat, they didnt beat themselves. I think too many people are trying to discount what the Hogs did, which is completely annihilate an opponent. the focus showed me wanted i needed to see, even our 3rd string guys played really clean
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

31to6

Other than instructing players to fall down after 10 yards, there was not going to be any opportunity to practice the systematic passing game with our #1 offense.

Nichols State was not just an FCS team, they are one of the worst FCS teams.

I'm happy for the win and we got exactly what I hoped to see: a first half shut out and then lots of practice for the 2's and 3's. But, really, after the first 3 passes it was pretty obvious they weren't able to cover our guys at all.

MJ2

No complaints from me.    A win is what I wanted and what I got.

talley

Quote from: lefty08 on September 07, 2014, 06:50:00 pm
Really we have played worse teams from the vantage point of mistakes. Nicholls just got beat, they didnt beat themselves. I think too many people are trying to discount what the Hogs did, which is completely annihilate an opponent. the focus showed me wanted i needed to see, even our 3rd string guys played really clean

I agree with this.  Were they bad? Well, yeah.  But, if another team, say Auburn or Oregon would have played them, they couldn't have done anything different to be better than what we did.  Our starters destroyed them and scored at will.  Our second stringers did everything right as well.  I mean i know the competition was minimal but they did everything right! 

Deep Shoat

Here are the 9 drives by the 1st team O.  Maybe a cursory reading of this chart will tell you why we didn't work more on passing...

1 play, 82 yds, TD, 0:15
1 play, 33 yds, TD, 0:09
3 plays, 37 yds, TD, 1:08
6 plays, 64 yds, TD, 3:08
3 plays, -7 yds, PUNT, 2:07
1 play, 50 yds, TD, 0:11
1 play, 90 yds, TD, 0:42
3 plays, 46 yds, TD, 1:21
2 plays, 48 yds, TD, 0:52

From there, AA and the 2/3/4's came in.  Drives were all longer.  But with our 1/2's, we couldn't stay out of the endzone long enough to "work on the pass".

All Gas, No Brakes!

hogsanity

They worked on what they could.  They also showed a few things that other teams now have to be wary of...the toss reverse, the shovel pass, a couple of seemingly little things that might make a MLB or a safety pause for just a split second, long enough for a TE or WR to get behind someone for a big play.

The problems for the Hogs, as the season goes on, is going to continue to be the defense, particularly the back 7, but we knew that since last season ended.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE