Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maybe The Sleeping Giant Has Woke Up

Started by Cartoon Man, September 06, 2014, 07:05:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MJ2

Grizzlyfan

Yeah some people get pissy when you downplay the Nichols win.  I hate the rent a win scheduling but I know everyone does it so Arkansas has to as well.  But to try and read anything into that game Saturday is suspect at best.  Beat Tech by 2 scores and we can honestly say we are seeing improvement.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on September 06, 2014, 07:26:50 pm
Nicholl's was probably the worst team I've ever seen.

On October 24, 1970, the Hogs played Wichita State. On October 2, 1970, a plane carrying WSUs "starting players, head coach, and athletic director, as well as their wives, other administrators, and boosters" crashed into the mountains in Colorado. The reserve players and other staff were on a second plane.

The Hogs were ranked #9, and had to play a game against the team that was left. Final was 62-0. The previous year the score was 52-14, against WSUs first team, so I have to believe that decimated 1970 WSU squad may have been the worst the Hogs have played in the modern era. JFB pulled off early to keep it down to 62-0. 

moses_007

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on September 09, 2014, 04:20:49 pm
On October 24, 1970, the Hogs played Wichita State. On October 2, 1970, a plane carrying WSUs "starting players, head coach, and athletic director, as well as their wives, other administrators, and boosters" crashed into the mountains in Colorado. The reserve players and other staff were on a second plane.

The Hogs were ranked #9, and had to play a game against the team that was left. Final was 62-0. The previous year the score was 52-14, against WSUs first team, so I have to believe that decimated 1970 WSU squad may have been the worst the Hogs have played in the modern era. JFB pulled off early to keep it down to 62-0. 
I was there, and was so happy to see all our fans in Little Rock giving Wichita State a standing ovation for their courage to play us after that tragic plane crash.  The NCAA allowed Wichita State to play its freshmen for that game and for the rest of the season as they couldn't have otherwise fielded a team.  Back then, true freshmen couldn't play.

I think Coach Broyles was somewhat sad his team had scored 62 on them.  However, anything less would have hurt our ranking in the polls.

HogFanatic

I don't think there is anything wrong with the grammar in this title.

East Clintwood

Quote from: secfan30 on September 06, 2014, 07:10:38 pm
Regardless of coach, opponent or players we haven't beat a team like this since the 20's? Yeah we are better than some naysayers here want to admit.

Fayetteville High would have beaten that team by 2 touchdowns.  It's not much of an accomplishment.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Cartoon Man

mbonner

Maybe just maybe we played so well that it made Nicholls look worse than they are.  ;D

hoglady

The sleeping giant that has woke up is A&M.
Saturday against Lamar with a 2 hour weather delay - attendance 102,000.
Student attendance 38,000.
Joining the SEC has sure changed the trajectory of that program.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

code red

Quote from: 3kgthog on September 06, 2014, 07:52:34 pm
Air Force beat them 44-16 and compiled 539 yards just on the ground. Read nothing into this win other than it stopped a huge losing streak. That's about all you gain from playing a team like that.

Agreed......they are on a 8 game losing streak.....and they don't play in the SEC West...just saying.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Cartoon Man on September 06, 2014, 07:05:33 pm
;D   Hopefully this win gets this program back on the right track.   WPS  :)
Arkansas is a sleeping giant? I think that is likely news to everyone but the .5% of the fan base who is regularly out of touch with reality.

Six top 10 finishes in the past 45 years. Not exactly giant status. And the head coach with the best record after Broyles is Houston Nutt. He won 68% of his games and went 17-15 in SEC play during his 10 years as head coach. Broyles won 70% of his games over his tenure.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Sleeping giant?  I have heard it all now!
Let's make some waves.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Maybe I should have instead stated, ''Maybe the sleeping giant has thrown up''.  God knows a lot of us do when we see the state of the program.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 06, 2014, 11:03:56 pm
Weber State in 2001.

Pacific in 1987 (circa).

Samford (2013).

Western Illinois 2008.

The Citadel...oh never mind.

We've hosted some really suspect teams over the years and some of those were competitive with UA.

I was thinking along the same lines. Too many anvils have fallen from the sky over the years for me to take any opponent for granted.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

rusvegashog

Quote from: hoglady on September 10, 2014, 12:51:26 pm
This was my first thought. Only thing u missed was giving a little credit to their exceptional coach and recruiter.

Al Boarland

hoglady

Quote from: rusvegashog on September 11, 2014, 08:40:18 am
This was my first thought. Only thing u missed was giving a little credit to their exceptional coach and recruiter.

You are right.
Sumlin is a lot better coach than I ever game him credit.
If he can get that defense worked out - the rest of the SEC better watch out.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

LZH

Quote from: hoglady on September 10, 2014, 12:51:26 pm

This is 10000% correct my lady.  I hate to say I told them so, but...........

If you exclude Florida, the state of Texas has about the same population and resources as the entire southern US - but with more money and at the very least just as crazy about football.  And as many big universities as there are in Texas, only two athletic programs REALLY matter.  Texas and Texas A&M.  Now for whatever reason, A&M has for decades managed to do next to nothing with all the advantages they have.  But that program has the potential to rival and maybe overtake Alabama, and certainly Florida, LSU, and Georgia (if you wanna count them) as the premiere SEC football power schools.  Eventually, they're gonna figure that out.

WorfHog

Quote from: LZH on September 11, 2014, 02:04:09 pm
This is 10000% correct my lady.  I hate to say I told them so, but...........

If you exclude Florida, the state of Texas has about the same population and resources as the entire southern US - but with more money and at the very least just as crazy about football.  And as many big universities as there are in Texas, only two athletic programs REALLY matter.  Texas and Texas A&M.  Now for whatever reason, A&M has for decades managed to do next to nothing with all the advantages they have.  But that program has the potential to rival and maybe overtake Alabama, and certainly Florida, LSU, and Georgia (if you wanna count them) as the premiere SEC football power schools.  Eventually, they're gonna figure that out.

No they won't they're Aggies for a reason and Texsa won't suck forever, unfortunately.

hoglady

Quote from: WorfHog on September 11, 2014, 03:19:46 pm
No they won't they're Aggies for a reason and Texsa won't suck forever, unfortunately.

I think getting out from under the Longhorn shadow has turned them around.
During the Longhorn 3 year or so rebuild - Sumlin will have the Aggies rolling.
And I don't think they ever look back.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

DLUXHOG

Quote from: scruf on September 07, 2014, 04:20:53 am
Nicholls St. 2014 = Samford 2013
Arkansas won the way they were supposed to win it.

Not really... I think consensus opinion forecasted we would "win"..... But we absolutely stomped on them....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

RyeHogFan

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 11, 2014, 07:13:07 am
Arkansas is a sleeping giant? I think that is likely news to everyone but the .5% of the fan base who is regularly out of touch with reality.

Six top 10 finishes in the past 45 years. Not exactly giant status. And the head coach with the best record after Broyles is Houston Nutt. He won 68% of his games and went 17-15 in SEC play during his 10 years as head coach. Broyles won 70% of his games over his tenure.

I didn't realize we played so few conference games over his tenure.  8)

RyeHogFan

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on September 11, 2014, 07:25:48 am
Maybe I should have instead stated, ''Maybe the sleeping giant has thrown up''.  God knows a lot of us do when we see the state of the program.

Ok, you're obviously trying to get a response since you didn't get one with your first idiotic post in this thread, so rabble, rabble.....I can't believe you said that....rabble, rabble.....you're not a real Hog fan....rabble, rabble....haters gonna hate....rabble, rabble. There, better now?

razorbackkid

Maybe this thread would have been better named "The Roller Coaster ride is on an Upswing....Hopefully".

Nutt....the most pathetic coach with a monster team that lost games he should have never lost.

Petrino....most likely the smartest x's and o's coach Arkansas has ever hired...but the dude can't handle a reach-a-round and a Harley at the same time.

Smiley?  I ain't got the words.

Coach Bielema?  Seems to have us on the right track, jury is still out and will be for another year or two.

Sleeping Gaint.....no.  More like a kid that is tired of being beat up and wants to learn how to fight.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: HoginMemphis on Today at 07:13:07 am

-----------

You forgot Kenny Hatfield who trumps both of these men with a 76% winning record.......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

LZH

Quote from: hoglady on September 11, 2014, 03:46:15 pm
I think getting out from under the Longhorn shadow has turned them around.
During the Longhorn 3 year or so rebuild - Sumlin will have the Aggies rolling.
And I don't think they ever look back.

As we have so painfully learned, it isn't just about having the right coach anymore.....maybe in the 60's & 70's it was, but not these days.  You have to have the right coach, wealthy boosters, and a talented AD who can manage both.  For whatever reasons, A&M has failed miserably for at least 30 years at that considering their resources.  But now it's obvious that they are committed to spending the money on coaches and facilities, so it's just a matter of time before they find the right mix.  It may not last - look at Alabama sans Bryant, Stallings, and Saban - but it will happen.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 11, 2014, 07:13:07 am

What I want to know is how Nutt managed to play only 32 conference games (17-15) in ten years?  That takes some doing.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: RyeHogFan on September 11, 2014, 04:12:12 pm
Ok, you're obviously trying to get a response since you didn't get one with your first idiotic post in this thread, so rabble, rabble.....I can't believe you said that....rabble, rabble.....you're not a real Hog fan....rabble, rabble....haters gonna hate....rabble, rabble. There, better now?

no
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: RyeHogFan on September 11, 2014, 04:07:30 pm
I didn't realize we played so few conference games over his tenure.  8)
Don't know how I put those numbers in there but he was 2 games over .500 in SEC play in 10 years.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 11, 2014, 04:19:12 pm
Quote from: HoginMemphis on Today at 07:13:07 am

-----------

You forgot Kenny Hatfield who trumps both of these men with a 76% winning record.......
Ok. KH's win % was lower than 68% on the stats I was viewing so maybe there were/are erroneous.

hawkhawg

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 11, 2014, 08:19:45 pm
Ok. KH's win % was lower than 68% on the stats I was viewing so maybe there were/are erroneous.

You must have been looking at his bowl winning %.

lefty08

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 11, 2014, 08:18:53 pm
Don't know how I put those numbers in there but he was 2 games over .500 in SEC play in 10 years.

possibly just making it up as you went along?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

MSMHawg

Quote from: Cartoon Man on September 06, 2014, 07:05:33 pm
;D   Hopefully this win gets this program back on the right track.   WPS  :)

Rude awakening for the Red Kool-aid crowd this week and next. You will realize in 9 days we are starring 2-10 right in our faces

LZH

Quote from: MSMHawg on September 11, 2014, 08:48:08 pm
Rude awakening for the Red Kool-aid crowd this week and next. You will realize in 9 days we are starring 2-10 right in our faces

.....just as I'm trying to get on board.........

lefty08

Rude awakening for the Red Raider Kool-aid crowd this week and next. You will realize in 9 days we are starring 2-10 right in our faces

FIFY
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: LZH on September 11, 2014, 09:01:49 pm
.....just as I'm trying to get on board.........

You're smarter than that........I think.
His response to me:

YtownHog

Bump

BENTON PIGGEE

Apparently the Sleeping Giant is Dan Skipper, reincarnation of Mongo.

Mongo hate Red Raider's horse!

[attachment deleted by admin]