Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you consider Arkansas vs Ole Miss @ FedEx Forum (Memphis)

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, September 04, 2014, 09:56:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkansas vs Mississippi in Memphis

No keep it a home & away
54 (39.7%)
1 year trail
82 (60.3%)

Total Members Voted: 136

UofMemphis

Quote from: hawkhawg on September 07, 2014, 05:18:19 pm
Ole Miss has played home games against the hogs on your home court when your home court was the pyramid. So it is not unprecedented.

The Pyramid is not FedExForum...
memphistigers.org <--- memphis message board.

UofMemphis

Quote from: Buck Brewer on September 07, 2014, 05:29:03 pm
Who Cares.

I don't get the this ginned up controversy in the first place.

Nolan went in and landed Huery and Day without playing a single game in Memphis. Didn't need to, don't now. The landscape of basketball has changed with devolution of AAU. The only reason we started playing each other was the friendly relationship between Larry and Nolan. This even evolved into the Black Coaches Association event at he Pyramid. Cal hated the real chance of his getting his ass beat by Nolan, a very good friend of Chaney and we all know what Chaney thought of the Turd. Our cancelation of a football game which was to be in Fayetteville, allowed Cal, along with some swat back of regional power nonsense to get out of what had become a nice little rivalry.

So, what this boils down to is that Arkansas fans would like to see some non conference games that are more compelling due to it's regional flavor. You have a coach that's highly underachieved given the ranked talent that he has recruited in Boy Wonder Pastner using some lame ass excuse that it gives folks recruiting advantages in Memphis while it's all really about Memphis seeking payoffs via football games to help subsidize the toilet bowl that is the football program and the AD will gladly overrule Boy Wonder when those gridiron games happen cause he has bills to be paid and SEC games at the Liberty Bowl means ticket sales beyond the half full house Memphis usually dreams of.

Memphis doesn't need to play us and we don't need them. We aren't willing to be blackmailed to provide the MAJORITY of fans at each school a compelling game to watch. But , you have a few dozen fan board boys like U of M here whining about games owed and other nonsense.

If I was a taxpayer of Memphis, I'd be peeved. Especially if I didn't give two squirts about the Tigers. The management team should have never prohibited possible revenue generators. That's what happened when the management team of the Forum was headed by Bartow. What was Memphis going to do? Build an on campus arena or stay at the Pyramid? That's rich.

Stop living in the 90s

Brass Knob

Quote from: Buck Brewer on September 07, 2014, 05:37:47 pm
Every single home to the Tigers in basketball and football was built with other, bigger things in mind (Crump, Liberty Bowl, Coliseum, Pyramid, Forum) . You have to forgive the die hards' inferiority complex knowing half the town roots for SEC teams first. It must be sobering and sickening that needing SEC teams and their thousands of local fans to schedule football games against the Tigers in the Liberty Bowl for the hope of a full house and not having to basically give away tickets at Kroger's for 30,000.

Ya, I hear Bud Walton has been having to turn down people at the door the past couple of years...

Buck Brewer

Quote from: Brass Knob on September 07, 2014, 07:41:00 pm
Ya, I hear Bud Walton has been having to turn down people at the door the past couple of years...

And... yet it's still top 25 in attendance in spite of the struggles. How many you think would turn out at the FEF after 5 years of no NCAA tourney? I guarantee you not over 10,000. A true testament to our fans really. Be careful, Pastner is slowly underachieving Memphis that direction too. Tell me how those non cons games last years were just packed at the Forum and how the announced was a wee bit inflated. Be honest, now.

UofMemphis

"How many you think would turn out at the FEF after 5 years of no NCAA tourney?"

Not something Memphis needs to worry about.

Josh Pastner is 55-15, 2-2 in the NCAA tourney the last two years...featuring wins over: #5 Oklahoma State, #7 Louisville, @#12 Louisville, #18 SMU, #23 Gonzaga, #25 St Mary's, Tennessee, LSU, George Washington, Harvard, etc.

Worry about yourselves, we've got us all covered.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: UofMemphis on September 07, 2014, 09:13:06 pm
"How many you think would turn out at the FEF after 5 years of no NCAA tourney?"

Not something Memphis needs to worry about.

Josh Pastner is 55-15, 2-2 in the NCAA tourney the last two years...featuring wins over: #5 Oklahoma State, #7 Louisville, @#12 Louisville, #18 SMU, #23 Gonzaga, #25 St Mary's, Tennessee, LSU, George Washington, Harvard, etc.

I've seen what happens when Tiger High is not making the NCAA tourney and believe me it is not pretty.

Josh is a very nice man, but until this year he had not beaten a team in the top 25.

Good is the enemy of great

UofMemphis

Quote from: rzrbackrob on September 07, 2014, 09:59:32 pm
I've seen what happens when Tiger High is not making the NCAA tourney and believe me it is not pretty.

Josh is a very nice man, but until this year he had not beaten a team in the top 25.

St Mary's was ranked #25 when we beat them in 2012-2013...but don't let facts get in the way...

Pastner has made 4 straight NCAAs...

And I'll say it again: Josh Pastner is 55-15, 2-2 in the NCAA tourney the last two years...featuring wins over: #5 Oklahoma State, #7 Louisville, @#12 Louisville, #18 SMU, #23 Gonzaga, #25 St Mary's, Tennessee, LSU, George Washington, Harvard, etc.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: UofMemphis on September 07, 2014, 10:04:14 pm
St Mary's was ranked #25 when we beat them in 2012-2013...but don't let facts get in the way...

And I'll say it again: Josh Pastner is 55-15, 2-2 in the NCAA tourney the last two years...featuring wins over: #5 Oklahoma State, #7 Louisville, @#12 Louisville, #18 SMU, #23 Gonzaga, #25 St Mary's, Tennessee, LSU, George Washington, Harvard, etc.

Well, not to make excuses for Josh, don't want to be a "negative nelly",  Tiger High has not really played all that many games against top 25 teams till this last year.

Tiger High has had a good run of recent success, but even with the Hogs in the tank for over a decade, the Hogs have a better basketball history.
Wish Josh would reconsider playing the Hogs. That was a great rivalry.

hawkhawg

Quote from: UofMemphis on September 07, 2014, 07:37:17 pm
The Pyramid is not FedExForum...

The pyramid was still Memphis States home court.  And ole miss played arkansas there.

Quote from: UofMemphis on September 07, 2014, 09:13:06 pm

And yet u are the one on a razorback message board.

UofMemphis

Quote from: rzrbackrob on September 07, 2014, 10:25:57 pm
Well, not to make excuses for Josh, don't want to be a "negative nelly",  Tiger High has not really played all that many games against top 25 teams till this last year.

Tiger High has had a good run of recent success, but even with the Hogs in the tank for over a decade, the Hogs have a better basketball history.
Wish Josh would reconsider playing the Hogs. That was a great rivalry.

I just wish you'd get your facts straight...

Josh has won 130 games in 5 seasons (26 wins per year) with 4 straight NCAAs, he's 2-2 in the NCAAs the last 2 years.

He'll make it 5 straight NCAAs this season.

Playing UA doesn't really appeal to me...

hawkhawg

Quote from: UofMemphis on September 07, 2014, 10:40:55 pm
I just wish you'd get your facts straight...

Josh has won 130 games in 5 seasons (26 wins per year) with 4 straight NCAAs, he's 2-2 in the NCAAs the last 2 years.

He'll make it 5 straight NCAAs this season.

I'm sure there is a memphis message board somewhere on the internet where people care about all these facts you are throwing out.

UofMemphis

Quote from: hawkhawg on September 07, 2014, 10:39:39 pm

The pyramid was still Memphis States home court.  And ole miss played arkansas there.

And? You seem to think nothing changed when we moved to the Forum...we signed a new contracts with HOOPS llc (managed by the Grizzlies)...that contract runs through 2024 (20 year contract)

And yet u are the one on a razorback message board.

Yes, I hate inaccuracy

rzrbackrob

Quote from: UofMemphis on September 07, 2014, 10:40:55 pm

Remembering how the Hogs dominated the Tigers, I don't blame you for not wanting any part of the Hogs.

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

UofMemphis

Quote from: rzrbackrob on September 07, 2014, 10:50:08 pm
Remembering how the Hogs dominated the Tigers, I don't blame you for not wanting any part of the Hogs.

Series is 11-10 UA...Memphis won the last game.

In what world is that dominant?

rzrbackrob

Quote from: UofMemphis on September 07, 2014, 10:55:41 pm
Series is 11-10 UA...Memphis won the last game.

In what world is that dominant?

If you want to go all the way back to the 60's, but if you start when they renewed their series in the early 90's, yes the Hogs were dominant.

hawkhawg

Uofmemphis, You stated why exactly would you let the razorbacks play on your home court and I stated that you have before. I thought you wanted facts.

And don't come on here like Memphis is some power house. We have more national championships, more final fours, more sweet sixteens, and more tournament appearances.

Of the 11 sweet sixteens u have been to, you had to vacate five of them.  No one with only 6 sweet sixteen appearances can come on here and talk big.

UofMemphis

Quote from: rzrbackrob on September 07, 2014, 10:59:45 pm
If you want to go all the way back to the 60's, but if you start when they renewed their series in the early 90's, yes the Hogs were dominant.

It's always the 90s with you guys...it's over...Nolan is senile and Bill Clinton is no longer in office...come join us in 2014

UofMemphis

Quote from: hawkhawg on September 07, 2014, 11:00:19 pm
Uofmemphis, You stated why exactly would you let the razorbacks play on your home court and I stated that you have before. I thought you wanted facts.

rhetorical question as our contract prevents it...it's not an option.

There's always the Landers Center.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: UofMemphis on September 07, 2014, 11:01:54 pm
It's always the 90s with you guys...it's over...Nolan is senile and Bill Clinton is no longer in office...come join us in 2014

Again, I would love to have the Hogs and tigers continue the series, but The Tigers are afraid to play the Hogs every year.

UofMemphis

Quote from: rzrbackrob on September 07, 2014, 11:45:13 pm
Again, I would love to have the Hogs and tigers continue the series, but The Tigers are afraid to play the Hogs every year.

We're not Marty McFly...calling us "yella" won't suddenly make us want to play you.

40MINSOFHELL

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Danny J on September 04, 2014, 01:56:07 pm
Do the taxpayers help fund that arena in any way?

To build it yes. To operate it no. It is owned by the local governments but it is managed/operated by the Grizzlies.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

September 08, 2014, 01:44:09 pm #73 Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:55:33 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: PonderinHog on September 05, 2014, 05:56:39 pm
Landers Center is Southaven only holds 8400.  Not big enough?  Isn't that a typical Ole Miss crowd, if that much?

I've been there quite a few times. The Tad Pad is half empty when old misses plays except against KY and MSU. It is the biggest dump of a college arena in D1. There are several in Arkansas that are better. They are however building a new one. I don't remember what the new one will hold capacity wise but I think it is about 8K.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Buck Brewer on September 07, 2014, 05:29:03 pm
Who Cares.

I don't get the this ginned up controversy in the first place.

Nolan went in and landed Huery and Day without playing a single game in Memphis. Didn't need to, don't now. The landscape of basketball has changed with devolution of AAU. The only reason we started playing each other was the friendly relationship between Larry and Nolan. This even evolved into the Black Coaches Association event at he Pyramid. Cal hated the real chance of his getting his ass beat by Nolan, a very good friend of Chaney and we all know what Chaney thought of the Turd. Our cancelation of a football game which was to be in Fayetteville, allowed Cal, along with some swat back of regional power nonsense to get out of what had become a nice little rivalry.

So, what this boils down to is that Arkansas fans would like to see some non conference games that are more compelling due to it's regional flavor. You have a coach that's highly underachieved given the ranked talent that he has recruited in Boy Wonder Pastner using some lame ass excuse that it gives folks recruiting advantages in Memphis while it's all really about Memphis seeking payoffs via football games to help subsidize the toilet bowl that is the football program and the AD will gladly overrule Boy Wonder when those gridiron games happen cause he has bills to be paid and SEC games at the Liberty Bowl means ticket sales beyond the half full house Memphis usually dreams of.

Memphis doesn't need to play us and we don't need them. We aren't willing to be blackmailed to provide the MAJORITY of fans at each school a compelling game to watch. But , you have a few dozen fan board boys like U of M here whining about games owed and other nonsense.

If I was a taxpayer of Memphis, I'd be peeved. Especially if I didn't give two squirts about the Tigers. The management team should have never prohibited possible revenue generators. That's what happened when the management team of the Forum was headed by Bartow. What was Memphis going to do? Build an on campus arena or stay at the Pyramid? That's rich.

We played Memphis before Larry and Nolan were the coaches.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Buck Brewer on September 07, 2014, 05:37:47 pm
Every single home to the Tigers in basketball and football was built with other, bigger things in mind (Crump, Liberty Bowl, Coliseum, Pyramid, Forum) . You have to forgive the die hards' inferiority complex knowing half the town roots for SEC teams first. It must be sobering and sickening that needing SEC teams and their thousands of local fans to schedule football games against the Tigers in the Liberty Bowl for the hope of a full house and not having to basically give away tickets at Kroger's for 30,000.

Even when the tigers play SEC teams at the Liberty bowl they can't fill it up! You are correct about the SEC fans having half of the town fan-wise. It is even more than that for football. However that being said the largest single basketball fan base is the tigers in college. The Grizzlies are gaining on them as well......................

UofMemphis

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 08, 2014, 01:50:29 pm
Even when the tigers play SEC teams at the Liberty bowl they can't fill it up! You are correct about the SEC fans having half of the town fan-wise. It is even more than that for football. However that being said the largest single basketball fan base is the tigers in college. The Grizzlies are gaining on them as well......................

I was there with 65,000 other folks when we knocked off UT...I went to our 3 straight wins over UPigg in 92-94

We still lead the series 3-2

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: UofMemphis on September 08, 2014, 02:11:14 pm
I was there with 65,000 other folks when we knocked off UT...I went to our 3 straight wins over UPigg in 92-94

We still lead the series 3-2

Yet cannot even come close to filling the Liberty bowl EXCEPT when playing UT..............................

UofMemphis

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 08, 2014, 03:40:02 pm
Yet cannot even come close to filling the Liberty bowl EXCEPT when playing UT..............................

So I imagined our sell outs against Mississippi?

Our highest attended non-SEC game was Memphis v Louisville (52,384)

jfred59

Quote from: UofMemphis on September 07, 2014, 10:04:14 pm

Well when you play in a High School conference most years you can win a bunch of games.  Also dont fool yourself, if it werent for the Grizzlies you would be playing in the Bass Pro Shops Super Store

UofMemphis

Quote from: jfred59 on September 08, 2014, 09:33:01 pm
Well when you play in a High School conference most years you can win a bunch of games.  Also dont fool yourself, if it werent for the Grizzlies you would be playing in the Bass Pro Shops Super Store

I'm glad you can admit I'm correct.

That said, the Pyramid was fine.

But I love the Forum.

Inhogswetrust

September 09, 2014, 04:00:54 pm #81 Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 04:16:54 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: UofMemphis on September 08, 2014, 08:53:07 pm
So I imagined our sell outs against Mississippi?

Our highest attended non-SEC game was Memphis v Louisville (52,384)

Here is your attendance last year. Notice how the Liberty Bowl is NOT close to being filled up:

Date   Time   Opponent   Site   TV   Result   Attendance
September 7   3:30 PM   Duke*   Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium • Memphis, TN   ESPN3   L 14–28     44,237
September 14   6:00 PM   at Middle Tennessee*   Johnny "Red" Floyd Stadium • Murfreesboro, TN   CSS   L 15–17     23,992
September 21   4:30 PM   Arkansas State*   Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium • Memphis, TN (Paint Bucket Bowl)   ESPN3   W 31–7     36,279
October 5   3:30 PM   UCF   Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium • Memphis, TN   ESPN3   L 17–24     30,274
October 12   11:00 AM   at Houston   BBVA Compass Stadium • Houston, TX   ESPNews   L 15–25     20,103
October 19   11:00 AM   SMU   Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium • Memphis, TN   AAN   L 29–34     16,241
October 30   7:00 PM   Cincinnati   Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium • Memphis, TN   ESPN2   L 21–34     22,571
November 9   3:30 PM   UT Martin*dagger   Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium • Memphis, TN   ESPN3   W 21–6     24,487
November 16   6:00 PM   at South Florida   Raymond James Stadium • Tampa, FL   ESPN3   W 23–10     30,831
November 23   12:00 PM   at #15 Louisville   Papa John's Cardinal Stadium • Louisville, KY (Rivalry)   AAN   L 17–24     46,421
November 30   3:30 PM   Temple   Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium • Memphis, TN   ESPNews   L 21–41     25,671
December 7   12:00 PM   at Connecticut   Rentschler Field • East Hartford, CT   ESPN3   L 10–45     17,086
*Non-conference game. daggerHomecoming. #Rankings from Coaches Poll released prior to game. All times are in Central Time.

UofMemphis

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 09, 2014, 04:00:54 pm
Here is your attendance last year. Notice how the Liberty Bowl is NOT close to being filled up:

Date   Time   Opponent   Site   TV   Result   Attendance
September 7   3:30 PM   Duke*   Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium • Memphis, TN   ESPN3   L 14–28     44,237
September 14   6:00 PM   at Middle Tennessee*   Johnny "Red" Floyd Stadium • Murfreesboro, TN   CSS   L 15–17     23,992
September 21   4:30 PM   Arkansas State*   Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium • Memphis, TN (Paint Bucket Bowl)   ESPN3   W 31–7     36,279
October 5   3:30 PM   UCF   Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium • Memphis, TN   ESPN3   L 17–24     30,274
October 12   11:00 AM   at Houston   BBVA Compass Stadium • Houston, TX   ESPNews   L 15–25     20,103
October 19   11:00 AM   SMU   Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium • Memphis, TN   AAN   L 29–34     16,241
October 30   7:00 PM   Cincinnati   Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium • Memphis, TN   ESPN2   L 21–34     22,571
November 9   3:30 PM   UT Martin*dagger   Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium • Memphis, TN   ESPN3   W 21–6     24,487
November 16   6:00 PM   at South Florida   Raymond James Stadium • Tampa, FL   ESPN3   W 23–10     30,831
November 23   12:00 PM   at #15 Louisville   Papa John's Cardinal Stadium • Louisville, KY (Rivalry)   AAN   L 17–24     46,421
November 30   3:30 PM   Temple   Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium • Memphis, TN   ESPNews   L 21–41     25,671
December 7   12:00 PM   at Connecticut   Rentschler Field • East Hartford, CT   ESPN3   L 10–45     17,086
*Non-conference game. daggerHomecoming. #Rankings from Coaches Poll released prior to game. All times are in Central Time.

You didn't say last season.

We went 3-9...with a record like that we were lucky to break 27,000

Larry Porter was a disaster of a hire for Memphis...Fuente is slowly righting the ship with Barry Odom and Darrell Dickey's help

WorfHog

Never going to happen, this might be the dumbest active thread on Hogville, if the Sutton thread didn't exist.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: UofMemphis on September 09, 2014, 05:46:30 pm

Larry Porter was a disaster of a hire for Memphis...Fuente is slowly righting the ship with Barry Odom and Darrell Dickey's help

You didn't say last year either. Please show me when tiger high and old misses filled up the Liberty Bowl playing each other or for that matter ANY year prior to Porter where it filled up. I honestly couldn't find it. Porter was only a part of a long list of disaster hires for tiger high. Yes I will admit all schools though have them. We've gone through our share as well over the years.

UofMemphis

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 10, 2014, 03:05:16 pm
You didn't say last year either. Please show me when tiger high and old misses filled up the Liberty Bowl playing each other or for that matter ANY year prior to Porter where it filled up. I honestly couldn't find it. Porter was only a part of a long list of disaster hires for tiger high. Yes I will admit all schools though have them. We've gone through our share as well over the years.

1991 v Mississippi (65,483)
1987 v Mississippi (64,187)

Hogfaniam

Quote from: UofMemphis on September 09, 2014, 05:46:30 pm

I couldn't find the game where I live, but I was glued to Gamecast.  Kept hoping to be surprised on each update.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Inhogswetrust

September 11, 2014, 10:44:39 am #88 Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:55:17 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: UofMemphis on September 10, 2014, 03:34:46 pm
1991 v Mississippi (65,483)
1987 v Mississippi (64,187)

If true I bet tiger fans didn't fill it up but old misses fans did. Not only that but TWO games in many, many years of football at the Liberty bowl and you only listed two fills. Where did you get those numbers?

UPDATE: Nevermind. I read the attendance records from the Memphis 2013 media guide. You have filled the stadium only 7 times since playing in the Liberty Bowl. ALL of them were either Tenner or old misses games.It only hold a little over 59,000 so to only have that many seven times is deplorable.

40MINSOFHELL

UofMemphis

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 11, 2014, 10:44:39 am
If true I bet tiger fans didn't fill it up but old misses fans did. Not only that but TWO games in many, many years of football at the Liberty bowl and you only listed two fills. Where did you get those numbers?

UPDATE: Nevermind. I read the attendance records from the Memphis 2013 media guide. You have filled the stadium only 7 times since playing in the Liberty Bowl. ALL of them were either Tenner or old misses games.It only hold a little over 59,000 so to only have that many seven times is deplorable.

My numbers are accurate. You asked, I answered.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: UofMemphis on September 11, 2014, 01:20:39 pm
My numbers are accurate. You asked, I answered.

Yep. Good post. Still only 7 sellouts in a 59,000 seat stadium in ALL those years is bad...............................

Inhogswetrust

Buck Brewer

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 11, 2014, 01:28:20 pm
Yep. Good post. Still only 7 sellouts in a 59,000 seat stadium in ALL those years is bad………………………….

Just proves why they want home games with SEC teams. It gets a few more thousand Tiger fans there because SEC and lots more visiting team fans there.

Memphis is having a bad run of bad news, 15 year old shot tonite, a teen shot and killed while they slept in bed the other night from a stray bullet, a Memphis firefighter shooting a woman dead at a Target, it goes on and on. The good news is that the rain washed some of the blood off the streets today.

WorfHog

Would Arkansas' Athletic Department consider  a 2 home for 1 away with Memphis State in football and a 1 for 2 in basketball for those years? Would Memphis? Get a decent OOC team at home for a couple years in football and a road game where we'd have a good turnout. I don't think they'll be an upset threat for us in football on a year or two. Our basketball team is only getting better and I think we could go into Memphis and win.

Get a good rivalry going again and help the Hogs in Memphis recruiting.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: WorfHog on September 12, 2014, 08:26:23 am
Would Arkansas' Athletic Department consider  a 2 home for 1 away with Memphis State in football and a 1 for 2 in basketball for those years? Would Memphis? Get a decent OOC team at home for a couple years in football and a road game where we'd have a good turnout. I don't think they'll be an upset threat for us in football on a year or two. Our basketball team is only getting better and I think we could go into Memphis and win.

I could see that being good for us. Memphis did give UCLA some serious problems though in their football game last week. If their football program gains some traction, would it make them more attractive to Arkansas football recruits by having that exposure here?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

HogFaninMemphis

Yeah this thread is dumb, because I don't see why we wouldn't do a basketball + football package...
Memphis is improving in football (finally) so assuming we win, it wouldn't destroy our schedule strength, and playing a Top 25 basketball program is always a good thing. Let's just do home-and-home and call it good. If we can travel to freaking Lubbock, TX, we can travel to Memphis.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

WorfHog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on September 12, 2014, 09:51:14 am
I could see that being good for us. Memphis did give UCLA some serious problems though in their football game last week. If their football program gains some traction, would it make them more attractive to Arkansas football recruits by having that exposure here?

Possible, but I think we're going to gain traction in football a lot faster than they will.  They played a good game against UCLA, but I think UCLA was a bit overrated. Maybe not since UCLA plays Texsa this week we won't really be able to tell how good they are because Texsa is really bad.

The thread is about playing Ole Miss in Memphis, but I'd rather play Memphis in Memphis for basketball. A home and home in both sports for two consecutive years would be good. It wouldn't be for a few years since you have to coordinate both sports.

UofMemphis

Not interested. Home-Home in football, or no dice.