Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you consider Arkansas vs Ole Miss @ FedEx Forum (Memphis)

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, September 04, 2014, 09:56:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkansas vs Mississippi in Memphis

No keep it a home & away
54 (39.7%)
1 year trail
82 (60.3%)

Total Members Voted: 136

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Iceman

In years when we only face each other once, sure.

In years when we are scheduled for a home and home, then no.

The_Iceman

It would be a great opportunity for both school to get some exposure in Memphis. It is about 1.5 hours from Oxford and 2 hours from Little Rock. It would be a good opportunity for our Little Rock and East Arkansas fans to show up strong.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hawg Red

Hollywood_HOGan45

Mick Hogger

I thought the Tigers have the option to reject that scenario?
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Hoggish1

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 04, 2014, 10:00:56 am
In years when we only face each other once, sure.

In years when we are scheduled for a home and home, then no.

Don't we have to face SECW teams twice each year?

claycohog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 04, 2014, 01:30:05 pm
Don't we have to face SECW teams twice each year?
There is no such thing as SEC west or east in basketball.

mhuff

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 04, 2014, 10:58:40 am
Memphis Tigers won't allow it.

I voted home and away. However, getting into Memphis any way might be good. Still, that would be allowing the HOGS to come into the hen house..... I don't see it happening.

Danny J

rzrbackramsfan

dhornjr1

I wouldn't mind it, but the University of Memphis has the right of first refusal with FedEx Forum. They would nix any such arrangement.

hawkhawg

I loved going to Memphis to watch the Hogs play Ole Miss in Memphis back in the day.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on September 04, 2014, 02:01:17 pm
I wouldn't mind it, but the University of Memphis has the right of first refusal with FedEx Forum. They would nix any such arrangement.

They can't book every date.  We could find a date they are already contracted to play someone else and snag it.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

dhornjr1

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on September 04, 2014, 02:18:52 pm
They can't book every date.  We could find a date they are already contracted to play someone else and snag it.

The city of Memphis owns FedEx Forum and I believe there is an agreement (unwritten or otherwise) between the city, the University, and the Grizzlies to prevent any such bookings from happening.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on September 04, 2014, 02:59:37 pm
The city of Memphis owns FedEx Forum and I believe there is an agreement (unwritten or otherwise) between the city, the University, and the Grizzlies to prevent any such bookings from happening.

secrules25

I believe Mike will get into Memphis without the use of the Fed ex forum. Although I do support the idea of playing there.

onebadrubi

When we play them once sure!  When we play them twice put it in LR and Memphis.  I say absolutely!!!!!

sooiepig_12

If Memphis would allow this I would love it we lay an egg in the Tad Pad everytime it seems like.  I would imagine we would have at least twice the basketball fans show up in Memphis.

popcornhog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on September 04, 2014, 09:56:02 am

I'd love to play an OOC game against Memphis or anyone else at the Forum. Conference game? No.

Unless maybe like Ice said we were only playing OM once, but even then if rather keep it on the Oxford/Fayetteville rotation.
WPS

The_Iceman

Quote from: popcornhog on September 05, 2014, 09:14:48 am
I'd love to play an OOC game against Memphis or anyone else at the Forum. Conference game? No.

Unless maybe like Ice said we were only playing OM once, but even then if rather keep it on the Oxford/Fayetteville rotation.

Its the same reason we play a&m in Dallas, to get valuable exposure in that recruiting territory. Memphis is prime basketball territory for us, we just need to tap into it. Playing in Memphis once every few years when the schedule allows would be great for us.

popcornhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 05, 2014, 09:26:53 am
Its the same reason we play a&m in Dallas, to get valuable exposure in that recruiting territory. Memphis is prime basketball territory for us, we just need to tap into it. Playing in Memphis once every few years when the schedule allows would be great for us.

Agreed. I'd love to do it every year.
WPS

onebadrubi

I'd even say we could play tenner in Memphis.  tenner may just have the pull to override memphis in blocking it, I'm sure they would love it.

Hawg Red

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 05, 2014, 09:57:22 am
I'd even say we could play tenner in Memphis.  tenner may just have the pull to override memphis in blocking it, I'm sure they would love it.

They don't.

Brass Knob

The only way any college team other than Memphis will be playing in the FedEx Forum is if it is postseason basketball, conference tournament or NCAA tournament. That is the home court for the UofM, of course they have a deal in place that would not allow another college team to play on their home court in the middle of the season...

UofMemphis

Memphis has a contract with the city that says only Memphis can play college basketball home games at FedExForum.

Only way UPigg plays at FedExForum is against Memphis...or if the Forum hosts a pre/post season tourney.
memphistigers.org <--- memphis message board.

popcornhog

Quote from: UofMemphis on September 05, 2014, 01:37:52 pm
Memphis has a contract with the city that says only Memphis can play college basketball home games at FedExForum.

Only way UPigg plays at FedExForum is against Memphis...or if the Forum hosts a pre/post season tourney.

Well there you have it. Assuming this guy is right.

I'd be all for playing Memphis St in a home and home.
WPS

UofMemphis

Quote from: popcornhog on September 05, 2014, 03:05:07 pm
Well there you have it. Assuming this guy is right.

I'd be all for playing Memphis St in a home and home.

If SEC teams want to play Memphis in basketball, you must play us home-home in football...just that simple.

We're playing Mississippi in basketball (starting next season), and they're playing us in football (starting this season)

I believe we play 4 basketball contests for 2 football contests during that same period...all home-home

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: UofMemphis on September 05, 2014, 03:32:44 pm
If SEC teams want to play Memphis in basketball, you must play us home-home in football...just that simple.

We're playing Mississippi in basketball (starting next season), and they're playing us in football (starting this season)

I believe we play 4 basketball contests for 2 football contests during that same period...all home-home

Yep, pretty much sums it up. Arkansas Basketball gains far more than Memphis would in a home & home. Something else, like football, has to be added so as to entice Memphis.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 05, 2014, 04:30:16 pm
Yep, pretty much sums it up. Arkansas Basketball gains far more than Memphis would in a home & home. Something else, like football, has to be added so as to entice Memphis.

Indeed Advocate Indeed

PonderinHog

Landers Center is Southaven only holds 8400.  Not big enough?  Isn't that a typical Ole Miss crowd, if that much?

UofMemphis

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 05, 2014, 05:56:39 pm
Landers Center is Southaven only holds 8400.  Not big enough?  Isn't that a typical Ole Miss crowd, if that much?

Yep, you guys could host at The Landers Center in Southaven MS.

rusvegashog

If we won't play ASU in football why should we ever expect Memphis to play us in basketball. I'm for both games being played.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 05, 2014, 05:56:39 pm

This^^^....or this

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: rusvegashog on September 05, 2014, 08:48:29 pm
If we won't play ASU in football why should we ever expect Memphis to play us in basketball. I'm for both games being played.

Duly noted.

rusvegashog

UofMemphis

If you want "memphis exposure" just schedule an easy OOC win like UA-PB or UALR at the Landers Center and pack it out with 8,000 UA fans...that's your best bet.

rusvegashog

Quote from: UofMemphis on September 06, 2014, 02:12:56 am
If you want "memphis exposure" just schedule an easy OOC win like UA-PB or UALR at the Landers Center and pack it out with 8,000 UA fans...that's your best bet.
Although I'm all for playing UALR or any in state school for that matter, I'm not sure you're not trying to be a big d@#che nozzle.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: rusvegashog on September 06, 2014, 01:14:47 am
Let's make sure and have Sarah get Jeff Long that information.

I'm sure it would be given all the consideration the idea deserves.

popcornhog

Quote from: UofMemphis on September 05, 2014, 03:32:44 pm

I don't think we'd consider a home and home with Memphis in football. Primarily because we already have to play "home games" in Little Rock and in Dallas every other year.

If we did away with the Little Rock games maybe, but it would be hard to justify.
WPS

Birminghog

Quote from: UofMemphis on September 05, 2014, 01:37:52 pm

I'm okay with that, but straight up. No cushy payday.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 04, 2014, 10:58:40 am
Memphis Tigers won't allow it.

yep, that is right. The contract that Tiger High signed with the city or whoever gives Tiger High say so as to what games can be played there and the Tigers are so scared to let anyone come play even though it would be a boon for the city and would sell hotel rooms and food/beverages. 

MEM Tigers are the big fish in a little pond in Memphis and are too insecure to allow it AND they wont play us or really any SEC team except maybe Ole Mrs and maybe Tenn and that is only to get those teams to play their sorry football program.

VBMark

Quote from: Birminghog on September 06, 2014, 04:08:41 pm
I'm okay with that, but straight up. No cushy payday.

Me too. Playing Memphis in football would count as a road game, but likely to be more of a home game for Arkansas football. More exposure for us for football and basketball and it sure would tick off Tennessee and Ole Miss, because then kids in North MS and East TN would know they would get "home" to see folks frequently.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the SEC might not allow a two game OOC series in the same season of basketball.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

Brass Knob

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on September 06, 2014, 07:48:02 pm
yep, that is right. The contract that Tiger High signed with the city or whoever gives Tiger High say so as to what games can be played there and the Tigers are so scared to let anyone come play even though it would be a boon for the city and would sell hotel rooms and food/beverages. 

MEM Tigers are the big fish in a little pond in Memphis and are too insecure to allow it AND they wont play us or really any SEC team except maybe Ole Mrs and maybe Tenn and that is only to get those teams to play their sorry football program.

Ya, how times has this occurred on the home court of any other college team in the country. I am sure Arkansas would be fine with two NCAA D1 college teams playing a regular season game in Bud Walton...

UofMemphis

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on September 06, 2014, 07:48:02 pm

Why exactly should we allow UA to play at our home arena?

How many times have we hosted home games at Bud Walton? lol

hawkhawg

Quote from: UofMemphis on September 07, 2014, 04:06:01 pm

Ole Miss has played home games against the hogs on your home court when your home court was the pyramid. So it is not unprecedented.

Buck Brewer

Quote from: UofMemphis on September 07, 2014, 04:06:01 pm

Who Cares.

I don't get the this ginned up controversy in the first place.

Nolan went in and landed Huery and Day without playing a single game in Memphis. Didn't need to, don't now. The landscape of basketball has changed with devolution of AAU. The only reason we started playing each other was the friendly relationship between Larry and Nolan. This even evolved into the Black Coaches Association event at he Pyramid. Cal hated the real chance of his getting his ass beat by Nolan, a very good friend of Chaney and we all know what Chaney thought of the Turd. Our cancelation of a football game which was to be in Fayetteville, allowed Cal, along with some swat back of regional power nonsense to get out of what had become a nice little rivalry.

So, what this boils down to is that Arkansas fans would like to see some non conference games that are more compelling due to it's regional flavor. You have a coach that's highly underachieved given the ranked talent that he has recruited in Boy Wonder Pastner using some lame ass excuse that it gives folks recruiting advantages in Memphis while it's all really about Memphis seeking payoffs via football games to help subsidize the toilet bowl that is the football program and the AD will gladly overrule Boy Wonder when those gridiron games happen cause he has bills to be paid and SEC games at the Liberty Bowl means ticket sales beyond the half full house Memphis usually dreams of.

Memphis doesn't need to play us and we don't need them. We aren't willing to be blackmailed to provide the MAJORITY of fans at each school a compelling game to watch. But , you have a few dozen fan board boys like U of M here whining about games owed and other nonsense.

If I was a taxpayer of Memphis, I'd be peeved. Especially if I didn't give two squirts about the Tigers. The management team should have never prohibited possible revenue generators. That's what happened when the management team of the Forum was headed by Bartow. What was Memphis going to do? Build an on campus arena or stay at the Pyramid? That's rich.

Buck Brewer

Quote from: hawkhawg on September 07, 2014, 05:18:19 pm
Ole Miss has played home games against the hogs on your home court when your home court was the pyramid. So it is not unprecedented.

Every single home to the Tigers in basketball and football was built with other, bigger things in mind (Crump, Liberty Bowl, Coliseum, Pyramid, Forum) . You have to forgive the die hards' inferiority complex knowing half the town roots for SEC teams first. It must be sobering and sickening that needing SEC teams and their thousands of local fans to schedule football games against the Tigers in the Liberty Bowl for the hope of a full house and not having to basically give away tickets at Kroger's for 30,000.