Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Josh Allen

Started by alwaysnextyear, September 03, 2014, 10:40:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

alwaysnextyear

Pretty sure he's already on campus.

FrozenHam

ANY, this would be exciting... Who is your source of this titillating news?

forrest city joe

luke hawg

On his twitter account someone ask him where he is and he replied Arkansas

forrest city joe

Quote from: luke hawg on September 03, 2014, 11:16:59 pm
On his twitter account someone ask him where he is and he replied Arkansas

I would be shocked if he already at Arkansas, and none of our recruiting reporters are reporting it.he must mean that he still plan's on coming to Arkansas in January.

SemperFi

Can you please remind me who Josh Allen is? Drawing a huge blank with his name. Thanks in advance.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

redeye

Quote from: SemperFi on September 04, 2014, 05:50:07 am
Can you please remind me who Josh Allen is? Drawing a huge blank with his name. Thanks in advance.

Highly recruited OG we were after last year, who chose UNC, but failed to qualify.  Someone else will have to fill in the details, but it appears that Arkansas is where he wants to go now.

http://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Allen-23234

Be sure to check out his full offer list.

Bubba's Bruisers

I guess Allen will count toward the 2015 class?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Tim Harris

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 04, 2014, 07:59:33 am
I guess Allen will count toward the 2015 class?

Yes we don't have any open spots so he would go on scholarship in January and count as an early enrollee for the 2015 class.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Tim Harris on September 04, 2014, 08:02:35 am
Yes we don't have any open spots so he would go on scholarship in January and count as an early enrollee for the 2015 class.

So effectively we are at 13 recruits with room for 12 more...?

Tim Harris

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 04, 2014, 09:05:30 am
So effectively we are at 13 recruits with room for 12 more...?

Some probably look at it that way but he is a recruitable athlete so until he officially commits and the staff accepts him I still say we are at 12.

The Recruiting Guy

ldfergu

So did he lose a year of eligibility? 3 or 4 yrs?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on September 04, 2014, 09:52:52 am
So did he lose a year of eligibility? 3 or 4 yrs?

He will have 4 years

onebadrubi

alwaysnextyear

Why not go to Hargrave? And why couldn't be have enrolled in the fall?

Tim Harris

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on September 04, 2014, 10:40:15 am
Why not go to Hargrave? And why couldn't be have enrolled in the fall?

He would have to pay out of state tuition for the semester.  We don't have any available scholarships since we signed a full class last year.

alwaysnextyear

We better turn over some rocks and find an OT who can potentially play next season. I scanned the roster and we've only got Skipper and Wallace. I'm betting Kraus is at OT come spring.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on September 04, 2014, 12:05:43 pm
We better turn over some rocks and find an OT who can potentially play next season. I scanned the roster and we've only got Skipper and Wallace. I'm betting Kraus is at OT come spring.

Yeah, OT is a major need in this class.  Pruitt not making it really hurt.  If you include Allen, then we have 3 OL commits for the current class...Johnson (OT), Rogers (C/OG) and Allen (OG).  We need another OT badly, and ironically, the only OL recruit we've really been talking about is Barnett...another OG.  Definitely want Barnett if we can get him, but we need OT's and defensive back 7 more.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 04, 2014, 12:17:04 pm
Yeah, OT is a major need in this class.  Pruitt not making it really hurt.  If you include Allen, then we have 3 OL commits for the current class...Johnson (OT), Rogers (C/OG) and Allen (OG).  We need another OT badly, and ironically, the only OL recruit we've really been talking about is Barnett...another OG.  Definitely want Barnett if we can get him, but we need OT's and defensive back 7 more.
Wonder if they'll slide Beck back outside. It's mostly a depth need but just one injury away from disaster. Scary because I think the team could be decent next year but can't lose anyone at DT, LB, S or OT. That's what two horrific classes in a row will do to you. We should have a solid crop of seniors next year but attrition wiped them out.

ldfergu

Was Jovan Pruitt OG or OT? And does anyone have an update on him? If he gets his act together in the classroom he'd be here next fall and count toward the 2014 class, right?

PorkRinds

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on September 04, 2014, 12:28:10 pm
Was Jovan Pruitt OG or OT? And does anyone have an update on him? If he gets his act together in the classroom he'd be here next fall and count toward the 2014 class, right?

No.  I think the rules are that you have to stay at JUCO for two years.  So he'd redshirt a year, play a year, and be here with 3 to play 3. 

ldfergu

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 04, 2014, 12:37:15 pm
No.  I think the rules are that you have to stay at JUCO for two years.  So he'd redshirt a year, play a year, and be here with 3 to play 3.

ohhhhh.. I didn't realize that's how it worked, thanks

ThisTeetsTaken

I'm feeling pretty confident about Will Gragg.  I was not confident at all two months ago but I think he's a Hog come February.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

hawgmasta

Granted we could use some more OTs we do have Jackson. I think he would've been much more highly recruited had he not chosen Arkansas so early. Starting with Skipper and Wallace sounds amazing but worrisome if one goes down.

mhuff

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 04, 2014, 12:37:15 pm

Unless a person went to JUCO because he or she lacked grades. I believe the athlete can leave whenever he or she wishes. So, I am saying it is possible to have four to play three. Anybody?

ricepig

Quote from: mhuff on September 04, 2014, 03:38:02 pm
Unless a person went to JUCO because he or she lacked grades. I believe the athlete can leave whenever he or she wishes. So, I am saying it is possible to have four to play three. Anybody?

Correct, Josh Williams qualified out of high school but didn't like his offers, went to JUCO and now has 4 years to play 3.

Uncommon

Pretty sure he will have the eligibility of a true freshman (5 years to play 4) since he isn't going to a JUCO.  It reminds me of the Demetrius Dean situation back in 2012.  He had the eligibility of a true freshman when he signed with the 2012 class after not qualifying for the 2011 class because he didn't go to JUCO.

mhuff

Quote from: Uncommon on September 04, 2014, 03:49:36 pm
Pretty sure he will have the eligibility of a true freshman (5 years to play 4) since he isn't going to a JUCO.  It reminds me of the Demetrius Dean situation back in 2012.  He had the eligibility of a true freshman when he signed with the 2012 class after not qualifying for the 2011 class because he didn't go to JUCO.

I would say you are definitely correct. I was responding to PorkRinds and his comments about HAVING to stay at a JUCO for 2 years if a player went that route.

redeye

Quote from: Tim Harris on September 04, 2014, 11:02:25 am
He would have to pay out of state tuition for the semester.  We don't have any available scholarships since we signed a full class last year.

And since we've had so little attrition.

Doesn't seem like we've had many problems finding available scholarships in the past.  This is the sort of problem you don't mind having at all.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 04, 2014, 01:05:41 pm
I'm feeling pretty confident about Will Gragg.  I was not confident at all two months ago but I think he's a Hog come February.

I like that he's delaying his Texas visit until after he announces his decision.

PorkRinds

Quote from: mhuff on September 04, 2014, 04:04:25 pm
I would say you are definitely correct. I was responding to PorkRinds and his comments about HAVING to stay at a JUCO for 2 years if a player went that route.

And I was talking specifically about Pruitt, who didn't qualify. In his situation, they are required to stay two, right? 

Oklahawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 04, 2014, 04:15:09 pm
And I was talking specifically about Pruitt, who didn't qualify. In his situation, they are required to stay two, right? 

Sorta.

They need to graduate from JUCO, I think. If they get that done in a year and a summer? Bring 'em to UA.

In the most technical sense, Pruitt could be back at UA next fall:
12 hours this past summer
18 hours this fall
18 hours this spring
12 hours this coming summer.

You can get out of some JUCOs with 60 hours. The rules may be more in-depth than that, though.

BTW, 18 hours is a bundle.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

titanhawg

Since Allen was a 2014 who signed an LOI, is there any way we could add him in January and count him towards the 85...but not have to count him against the 25 for 2015?

ricepig

Quote from: titanhawg on September 04, 2014, 05:44:20 pm
Since Allen was a 2014 who signed an LOI, is there any way we could add him in January and count him towards the 85...but not have to count him against the 25 for 2015?

Don't think so, it would be like Josh Williams, he was a 2013, but counts against the 2014.

SemperFi

Quote from: redeye on September 04, 2014, 06:12:34 am
Highly recruited OG we were after last year, who chose UNC, but failed to qualify.  Someone else will have to fill in the details, but it appears that Arkansas is where he wants to go now.

Thanks for the link. You're absolutely right about the schools that had offered. He literally could have gone anywhere. In PWJ's word, this is a HUGE get, HUGE!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

HOGINTENNESSEE

September 04, 2014, 08:47:09 pm #35 Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:04:20 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: titanhawg on September 04, 2014, 05:44:20 pm

My understanding is they have to be on campus for 2 years as a walk on and then recieve a Scholly to not count against a the 25 slots and only the 85.

ricepig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on September 04, 2014, 08:47:09 pm
My understanding is a they have to be on campus for 2 years as a walk on and then recieve a Scholly to not count against a the 25 slots only the 85.

Correct

PorkSoda

Quote from: redeye on September 04, 2014, 06:12:34 am

phew my first thought was "not another allen brother"
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on September 04, 2014, 08:47:09 pm
My understanding is they have to be on campus for 2 years as a walk on and then recieve a Scholly to not count against a the 25 slots and only the 85.
I thought the point of a greyshirt was they walked on for one year then got a scholly the next.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 04, 2014, 09:41:19 pm
I thought the point of a greyshirt was they walked on for one year then got a scholly the next.

It is. But the gray shirts still count against the next year's 25.

Styflin

We can't use Pruitt's spot?

ricepig

Because once you have someone sign a LOI and they don't make it to campus, you lose that spot.

mhuff

Quote from: ricepig on September 05, 2014, 11:38:51 am
Because once you have someone sign a LOI and they don't make it to campus, you lose that spot.

Lot of people don't realize this.

FrozenHam