Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 MLB Draft Date Set

Started by ucahogfan, September 03, 2014, 09:03:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

Obviously, it will probably be spread out over three days again, but the first date will be Monday, June 8.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mlb-announces-2015-draft-date/

Sueie

I am hearing that they are going to cut the rounds to about 25 in the next year or possibly the next draft.

40 rounds is STUPID when you are drafting players like Manziel.  Most scouts will tel you that the guys picked that low do not even get an offer so WHY even draft them.

dotnet

A lot of reasons. You draft them for a back up plan (ie. Marshall almost signed).  You draft them to get a month to talk to them and learn more for the future. You draft them because you need org guys to catch on your practice fields and in complex games.  You draft them for marketing purposes. 

You don't have to make a selection, and some teams don't.  If the team didn't want to draft the player than they don't have to. 

And I dont' think they can reduce the number of rounds in the draft without it being part of the collective bargaining agreement.

Big Nasty 34

I know the cardinals have a few contributors that were late round selections. I think the Manziel pick by the Padres is absurd. A team as bad as that needs all the diamonds in the rough they can find.

futurehogdad

Quote from: Sueie on September 04, 2014, 03:46:40 pm
I am hearing that they are going to cut the rounds to about 25 in the next year or possibly the next draft.

40 rounds is STUPID when you are drafting players like Manziel.  Most scouts will tel you that the guys picked that low do not even get an offer so WHY even draft them.

If a club skips a round in the draft they can no longer draft anyone.  They are finished with that years draft.

Bad News Boar

Now that we know the date, are their any kids on the roster that are now forced to  stay a 3rd year, a la Stanek, because of where their birthday falls?
Some of the greatest poetry is revealing to the reader the beauty in something that was so simple you had taken it for granted.