Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fall ball start date

Started by hawgcraZ, September 02, 2014, 04:33:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgcraZ

Anybody got a date for the scrimmages starting?

Dr. Starcs

Sueie

Saturday before the Nichols State football game and another one on Sunday.

PorkRyan

Anyone know what time the scrimmage starts tomorrow?

hawgcraZ

Whoever goes, grab a roster and post a copy!

Bas3ball13

ricepig

@beall_sid:These new baseballs are flying like crazy. Watching BP at @RazorbackBSB practice is like a HR derby. This will change the game completely.

bulldog04

Quote from: ricepig on September 05, 2014, 04:20:37 pm
@beall_sid:These new baseballs are flying like crazy. Watching BP at @RazorbackBSB practice is like a HR derby. This will change the game completely.
The warm weather helps too

hawgcraZ

13 cuts to make to get to 35 based on the roster released.  Going to be a competitive fall.

Scott7703

A couple names I haven't heard of on that list.

ucahogfan

Freshman Chad Spanberger was the home run champion of day one as he sent 7 over the wall.  Will be interesting to see where he fits in on this team since he is a C/1B/DH much like Baxendale.

I think this team will have much more pop at the plate with players getting older, a lot of good freshmen who have pop, and the new balls.

It is interesting to hear that Spoon will only be an OF in the fall.  Hopefully Eagan comes back healthy and ready for the spring.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/sep/05/hogs-open-practice-some-pop/

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on September 05, 2014, 03:49:04 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/sep/05/5-things-watch-arkansas-opens-fall-baseball-practi/
A few things stick out to me:

-  Although Baxendale wants to play 1B, the fact that DVH let him move over there tells me that Nathan Rodriguez will probably be our opening day catcher.

-  I had wondered who would coach the catchers because we hired Kowalchuk to replace Flanders.  Good to hear that Wise will coach them.

-  This freshmen class should be legit both on the mound and at the plate.  Surprised that Pate wasn't mentioned with the LHPs.

-  Good to see the velo that Teague was throwing this summer.  He was mainly 90-92 during his freshman year, but if he can work 92-94 and hitting 95-96, he would be a filthy Sunday starter after Killian and Jackson.  Will be more talented than the weekend rotation we ran out last year.

Waldron_Hog

Our lack of lhp worries me some. Maybe one of the frosh will step up.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Like what DVH says about Spanberger "It doesn't matter which way the wind is blowing when he hits it."

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Did they get the scrimmage in outdoors?

dotnet

If Teague is really throwing 95 and he has a legit third pitch... I don't think he'll be pitching on Sundays.

Arkansas has only had one player in DVH tenure with that profile

RoughRider Fan

I agree with you Dotnet. Mid 90's would be nice, but I will have to see it for myself.  Some organizations tend to exaggerate velocity and PG is among them.  Teague might be hitting 90, but with his frame, I think 95-96 is stretching it a bit. Nonetheless, I believe he will be an important part of the pitching staff this year.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on September 07, 2014, 06:55:50 am
If Teague is really throwing 95 and he has a legit third pitch... I don't think he'll be pitching on Sundays.

Arkansas has only had one player in DVH tenure with that profile
Who would that be?  I was thinking Stanek, but he was mainly mid 90s heater/slider.  And Jackson has the same exact type of stuff with 3 swing and miss pitches and is slated to be the Saturday guy.  Killian will be the Friday guy because he is the staff ace.

Quote from: RoughRider Fan on September 07, 2014, 08:01:14 am
I agree with you Dotnet. Mid 90's would be nice, but I will have to see it for myself.  Some organizations tend to exaggerate velocity and PG is among them.  Teague might be hitting 90, but with his frame, I think 95-96 is stretching it a bit. Nonetheless, I believe he will be an important part of the pitching staff this year.
Sure, Teague is only 5-10, but he has a lot of velo in the tank.  He might not have the 6-2+ frame which scouts love out of a RHP, but Teague has an impressive set of pitches.  The number of Ks he racked up this summer tell me that the reports are probably true.  I see mid 90s as working 90-94 and hitting 95-96 every so often.  He came on strong at the end of last year.  We have a 3 headed monster in our sophomore class in Jackson, Teague, and Big Taco.

60Hog

Heard that Rucker is not on the roster but is at Arkansas State.  Anyone know if this is true?

Sueie

If he went to Arkansas State wouldn't he have to sit out a year? Therefore he would not be on the roster.

60Hog

I didn't say he was on the roster, just at Arkansas State. 

dbbb

You can be on the 35 man roster and not be eligible to play. Jacob Morris did it with Arkansas in the Spring of 2010.