Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corners, Safeties, LBr's

Started by Piggfoot, September 02, 2014, 11:50:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

I see no commits in these areas of need. Who are we after? And of those are we close?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

SDZ_Hog

RazorBassin

Quote from: SDZ_Hog on September 02, 2014, 12:10:13 pm
This list can change of course but I think it's a good start

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/Offers

Looking through that list worries me a little with our recruiting on the defensive side of the ball.  I hope we start stacking up some decent commits soon.  I know it is a long way until NSD and I know this defensive staff has something to prove.  I hope it helps with the defensive recruiting.  Nothing to do but wait and see.

VBMark

Really, really concerned about the lack of DBs that are showing interest in us. We are already thin there.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

Pork Twain

I will admit that I am surprised we are not hitting it harder in the LB'r and DB area.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ricepig

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 02, 2014, 01:32:34 pm
I will admit that I am surprised we are not hitting it harder in the LB'r and DB area.

Hitting it, or getting results in those areas?

Music City Hog

It's always been our Achilles Heel. 

mhuff

Quote from: ricepig on September 02, 2014, 01:41:28 pm

+1

Back 7. LBers played pretty good this weekend.

ricepig

Quote from: mhuff on September 02, 2014, 01:48:00 pm
+1

Back 7. LBers played pretty good this weekend.

Yeah, I thought they held their own, not perfect, but doable.

tennhawg

What scares me is that we will only have 5 scholarship LBs next year. Even 3 deep , we would need 4 and I personally don't think that is enough. It doesn't look to me to be a very deep linebacker class either. I hope we land 2 Juco LBs who are ready to compete.

ldfergu

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 02, 2014, 01:32:34 pm

We only know what's being reported. I guarantee you the coaching staff is recruiting their arses off in the defensive back 7

jjdlc

Part of the issue is, that even with the high number of D1 players coming out of the state this year, it's mostly offensive players, so we are having to go outside the state to get them.  That means they aren't as likely to commit till later.

onebadrubi

Quote from: tennhawg on September 02, 2014, 03:02:10 pm
What scares me is that we will only have 5 scholarship LBs next year. Even 3 deep , we would need 4 and I personally don't think that is enough. It doesn't look to me to be a very deep linebacker class either. I hope we land 2 Juco LBs who are ready to compete.

Really only 5?  The three that came in this year, ellis, and williams?  That is not good. 

Qhog

Quote from: jjdlc on September 02, 2014, 03:22:48 pm
Part of the issue is, that even with the high number of D1 players coming out of the state this year, it's mostly offensive players, so we are having to go outside the state to get them.  That means they aren't as likely to commit till later.

It's so true.  The best players instate RARELY play defense it seems like to me, this year and most years.

LJHOG

Quote from: RazorBassin on September 02, 2014, 12:25:46 pm
Looking through that list worries me a little with our recruiting on the defensive side of the ball.  I hope we start stacking up some decent commits soon.  I know it is a long way until NSD and I know this defensive staff has something to prove.  I hope it helps with the defensive recruiting.  Nothing to do but wait and see.
Worried ain't the word for it.

WBC Hog

A big problem we have had is coaching stability. If we can keep our current assistants for at least 2 years straight (hopefully more) we will start to see that pay dividends. I absolutely hated to see Taver Johnson leave our program. He was recruiting the north and the Ohio area and was on some really big names. Literally the instant he left for another program, all of those recruits were uninterested.

I know some of y'all would rather have a player interested in playing for the UofA and not a certain coach but that's how it is these days.

If we can keep coach Jennings here for a few years, our secondary will be legit!

Muskliketusk

Were getting Sunderland and Haughton. Get ready fellers.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

VBMark

Quote from: Muskliketusk on September 02, 2014, 07:21:54 pm
Were getting Sunderland and Haughton. Get ready fellers.

Guess you know more than the "gurus" because they all say Sunderland is headed to either OU or Ohio State-btw, Chris Ash is his lead recruiter there. He has set a visit date for the Buckeyes. I don't think we are currently scheduled to get one.

http://247sports.com/Player/Will-Sunderland-35031

Haughton is at best a 25% chance today. Most "gurus" have him staying at home and going to Baylor. The best he has said is that the Hogs will likely get an OV.

http://247sports.com/Player/Kahlil-Haughton-34167
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

Pork Twain

Quote from: ricepig on September 02, 2014, 01:41:28 pm
Well since this is a thread discussing the targeting and recruiting of DB and LBer in the recruiting forum...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Pork Twain

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on September 02, 2014, 03:14:24 pm
We only know what's being reported. I guarantee you the coaching staff is recruiting their arses off in the defensive back 7
We can see who has been offered

joshUARK

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 05, 2014, 06:41:18 am
We can see who has been offered

If the kid hasn't told a reporter you can't.

HogPsych

You guys saw something different then I did, our back 7 was awful. Likely worst in  the SEC, except maybe Vandy. We desperately need help there.

mhuff

Hey Steef, use your influence and get us some LBers.  ;) ;D

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

31to6

Quote from: RazorBassin on September 02, 2014, 12:25:46 pm
The in-state class is mostly offense. That's mostly who we have committed.

We are going to have to get defense out of LA, MS, TX and FL.

By definition those will usually be much later commits.

NLRHog92

September 09, 2014, 04:53:38 pm #25 Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:03:03 am by NLRHog92
As much as we continue to need LBs, we didn't offer Tim Cook and he just committed to Louisville and Bobby P. Also, Hardwick from Northside has been adamant that he's ready to be a Hog and has been impressive thus far, but not sure if we're offering him or not. We've got to add some D to get back to winning in the SEC.

CDBHawg

Quote from: VBMark on September 02, 2014, 12:58:09 pm
Really, really concerned about the lack of DBs that are showing interest in us. We are already thin there.

Thin?

Next year we'll have Hines, Collins, Dean, McKinney, Tolliver, Gaines, Floyd, Ramirez, Coley, Liddell, and whomever we sign this year. The numbers are there.

LB is where we are thin.

PorkRinds

Quote from: NLRHog92 on September 09, 2014, 04:53:38 pm
As much as we continue to need LBs, we didn't offer Tim Cook and he just committed to Louisville and Bobby P. Also, Hardwick from Southside has been adamant that he's ready to be a Hog and has been impressive thus far, but not sure if we're offering him or not. We've got to add some D to get back to winning in the SEC.

Hardwick is from NHS.

NLRHog92

1highhog

We will get our LB's, a lot of these players we're getting even though they play on the offensive side of the ball, some will move over to the Defense, especially some of the ones from the Florida area, that are so athletic they can play multiple positions.  With Coach Shannon being over the LB corp, I'm sure he'll get what he wants there at that position of need.

ARtillahog

Quote from: NLRHog92 on September 09, 2014, 04:53:38 pm
As much as we continue to need LBs, we didn't offer Tim Cook and he just committed to Louisville and Bobby P. Also, Hardwick from Northside has been adamant that he's ready to be a Hog and has been impressive thus far, but not sure if we're offering him or not. We've got to add some D to get back to winning in the SEC.

Hardwick's issue is grades, but all reports seem to say he is on the right path.  I forgot which reporter said this, but it was along the lines of them thinking Hardwick was a little slow for being ranked so high.  He lacked some quickness they thought he needed to be an elite/SEC LB.

I hope it pans out for him tho, seems to have the measurables and is a tackling machine.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ARtillahog on September 10, 2014, 11:25:16 am
Hardwick's issue is grades, but all reports seem to say he is on the right path.  I forgot which reporter said this, but it was along the lines of them thinking Hardwick was a little slow for being ranked so high.  He lacked some quickness they thought he needed to be an elite/SEC LB.

I hope it pans out for him tho, seems to have the measurables and is a tackling machine.

A high school junior built like a grown man who tackles everything in sight.  But he runs a 4.5 instead of a 4.45, or some such thing.  That would say all you need to know about the modern recruiting machine.

Wildhog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on September 10, 2014, 04:58:10 pm
A high school junior built like a grown man who tackles everything in sight.  But he runs a 4.5 instead of a 4.45, or some such thing.  That would say all you need to know about the modern recruiting machine.

If he ran a legit 4.5 he'd have an offer.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HoggusMaximus

If Pittman can recruit big time caliber Oline to Arkansas there is no reason we shouldn't be able to recruit defense.

Melorock089

Quote from: WBC Hog on September 02, 2014, 06:39:37 pm
A big problem we have had is coaching stability. If we can keep our current assistants for at least 2 years straight (hopefully more) we will start to see that pay dividends. I absolutely hated to see Taver Johnson leave our program. He was recruiting the north and the Ohio area and was on some really big names. Literally the instant he left for another program, all of those recruits were uninterested.

I know some of y'all would rather have a player interested in playing for the UofA and not a certain coach but that's how it is these days.

If we can keep coach Jennings here for a few years, our secondary will be legit!

I liked Taver, but I think we got an upgrade with Jennings imo.

WBC Hog

Quote from: Melorock089 on September 10, 2014, 10:46:08 pm
I liked Taver, but I think we got an upgrade with Jennings imo.

I'd agree with that statement.

hogfan15

I think these two guys are huge targets for the class that can really help the areas of need.  Am I wrong?

LB Derrick Graham - (Hardee - Wauchula, FL)
http://247sports.com/Player/Derrick-Graham-46317
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/jun/08/derrick-graham-visit-update/
Offers form Florida, Mississippi State, and Nebraska, among others.

S Antonyo Sotolongo - (Gulliver Prep - Miami, FL)
http://247sports.com/Player/Antonyo-Sotolongo-27963
20+ offers including Wisconsin, West Virginia, Duke, Maryland, Pitt, and Purdue.  Sounds like Arkansas and Duke are his leaders.

They both have mutual interest and are recruited by many other major programs.  Is there any information on future visits from these guys?

BigBen

I think we might see Deon Stewert get moved to the secondary once he gets on campus. He's a good athlete but we are already have a lot if bodies there and I don't think he's on the level of KJ JoJo and Jared. I could be way off but when I look at his film I see him redshirting and switching to either CB/S and being a pretty solid player.

Wildhog

Quote from: BigBen on September 11, 2014, 01:47:39 pm
I think we might see Deon Stewert get moved to the secondary once he gets on campus. He's a good athlete but we are already have a lot if bodies there and I don't think he's on the level of KJ JoJo and Jared. I could be way off but when I look at his film I see him redshirting and switching to either CB/S and being a pretty solid player.

Does he play any D right now?

I think we'll sign Stewart, Hill and Pettway, and they'll be like our Jarius, Joe, and Greg.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on September 11, 2014, 02:13:58 pm

I think we'll sign Stewart, Hill and Pettway, and they'll be like our Jarius, Joe, and Greg.

Yep.  That Lunney guy is impressive!  ;D

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 11, 2014, 02:26:07 pm
Yep.  That Lunney guy is impressive!  ;D

Ol' Barry Lundy.  He's turned it around.  Looked grim for a while.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on September 11, 2014, 02:27:49 pm
Ol' Barry Lundy.  He's turned it around.  Looked grim for a while.

Yep, them Lundy's got it going on.   Too bad he missed out on that head coaching gig. ;D

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on September 11, 2014, 02:13:58 pm

Pretty sure he plays DB for Highland, they are 4A so their studs play O + D.