Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UCA

Started by soooieman, September 01, 2014, 10:44:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

soooieman

Question... Nobody follows this team as good as you. What does this year look like as far as chances for Omaha? And with recruiting how does the future look? I'm out of state and don't hear much.

ucahogfan

Well, I think this team stands a great chance at getting to Omaha in 2015.  We were left off both the 8 for Omaha lists by PG and BA just after Vandy won the title.  And by left off the list, I mean that we weren't included in their top 25 list while a team like Tennessee was on both if I remember correctly.  This program has earned more respect and deserved to be included in that list.

Outside of that, the 2015 team should have all of the pieces that a team that makes it to Omaha should have.  We return 5 players who started at least 50 games last year in Tyler Spoon, Andrew Benintendi, Joe Serrano, Bobby Wernes, and Michael Bernal and 3 more guys who should start in Brett McAfee, Blake Baxendale, and Clark Eagan.  The lineup in 2015 should be much, much better than the lineup in 2014 and I think all 9 regulars should hit at least .250 including 6 regulars who could hit over .300.  We bring in a few stud freshmen who should start immediately in Luke Bonfield, Blake Wiggins, and Nathan Rodriguez as well as a solid JUCO 2B in Rick Nomura who hit about .320 in a strong summer league in California against a lot of D-1 pitching.  My lineup looks like this right now:

C - Nathan Rodriguez
1B - Clark Eagan
2B - Rick Nomura
SS - Brett McAfee
3B - Blake Wiggins
LF - Joe Serrano
CF - Andrew Benintendi
RF - Luke Bonfield
DH - Blake Baxendale

Our pitching should be excellent under Dave Jorn in 2015.  We return our ace in Trey Killian who played for Team USA this summer and our closer in Jacob Stone who was just filthy last year.  We return some good arms in RS Senior Jackson Lowery and Sophomores RHP Dominic Taccolini, RHP James Teague, and RHP Zach Jackson.  Depth on the mound is a concern, but we bring in some stud freshmen.  RHP Keaton McKinney was a 2nd-3rd round talent who had a very high number and made it to campus because of it.  RHP Jonah Patten is another top 10 round talent who made it to campus and should see some innings next year.  A huge concern for this team is LHP pitching.  With the news that Chris Falwell isn't returning, the Hogs do not have a single inning thrown by a LHP at the D-1 level.  We have a couple of promising freshmen in Ryan Fant and Kyle Pate who have both hit 94 at some point.  They will need to step up to give us that LHP pitching option.

As far as recruiting, I don't think there is anything to worry about.  The 2014 class is ranked #2 in the country by PG behind LSU.  The 2015 class won't be ranked that high by the services, but by all indications, is a very strong class as well.  We have several LHPs committed which is a big need and most of them have hit 90+ this summer.  The 2016 class is expected to be just as strong as the 2014 class when they sign, but it is just a matter of getting them to campus.  Tony Vitello is an excellent recruiter and having the new indoor facility as a selling point doesn't hurt recruiting either.

soooieman

Quote from: ucahogfan on September 02, 2014, 08:08:49 pm
Well, I think this team stands a great chance at getting to Omaha in 2015.  We were left off both the 8 for Omaha lists by PG and BA just after Vandy won the title.  And by left off the list, I mean that we weren't included in their top 25 list while a team like Tennessee was on both if I remember correctly.  This program has earned more respect and deserved to be included in that list.

Outside of that, the 2015 team should have all of the pieces that a team that makes it to Omaha should have.  We return 5 players who started at least 50 games last year in Tyler Spoon, Andrew Benintendi, Joe Serrano, Bobby Wernes, and Michael Bernal and 3 more guys who should start in Brett McAfee, Blake Baxendale, and Clark Eagan.  The lineup in 2015 should be much, much better than the lineup in 2014 and I think all 9 regulars should hit at least .250 including 6 regulars who could hit over .300.  We bring in a few stud freshmen who should start immediately in Luke Bonfield, Blake Wiggins, and Nathan Rodriguez as well as a solid JUCO 2B in Rick Nomura who hit about .320 in a strong summer league in California against a lot of D-1 pitching.  My lineup looks like this right now:

C - Nathan Rodriguez
1B - Clark Eagan
2B - Rick Nomura
SS - Brett McAfee
3B - Blake Wiggins
LF - Joe Serrano
CF - Andrew Benintendi
RF - Luke Bonfield
DH - Blake Baxendale

Our pitching should be excellent under Dave Jorn in 2015.  We return our ace in Trey Killian who played for Team USA this summer and our closer in Jacob Stone who was just filthy last year.  We return some good arms in RS Senior Jackson Lowery and Sophomores RHP Dominic Taccolini, RHP James Teague, and RHP Zach Jackson.  Depth on the mound is a concern, but we bring in some stud freshmen.  RHP Keaton McKinney was a 2nd-3rd round talent who had a very high number and made it to campus because of it.  RHP Jonah Patten is another top 10 round talent who made it to campus and should see some innings next year.  A huge concern for this team is LHP pitching.  With the news that Chris Falwell isn't returning, the Hogs do not have a single inning thrown by a LHP at the D-1 level.  We have a couple of promising freshmen in Ryan Fant and Kyle Pate who have both hit 94 at some point.  They will need to step up to give us that LHP pitching option.

As far as recruiting, I don't think there is anything to worry about.  The 2014 class is ranked #2 in the country by PG behind LSU.  The 2015 class won't be ranked that high by the services, but by all indications, is a very strong class as well.  We have several LHPs committed which is a big need and most of them have hit 90+ this summer.  The 2016 class is expected to be just as strong as the 2014 class when they sign, but it is just a matter of getting them to campus.  Tony Vitello is an excellent recruiter and having the new indoor facility as a selling point doesn't hurt recruiting either.
Thank you! I can't wait. We need some good news on the hill and this will work. Thanks again UCA!

Knot2brite

Anymore conversation about Spoon going to second?
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Scott7703

Might not be a bad move for Tyler.

Kevin

young arms are going to have to come through.

should have better depth & competition for playing time.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Super Hog

Thanks, as always, UCA! Great stuff!

lancer

No mention of Grieshaber or Benninghoff?

dotnet

Quote from: lancer on September 03, 2014, 09:59:25 am

Yeah, UCA.. whats up with this?

ucahogfan

Quote from: lancer on September 03, 2014, 09:59:25 am
Well, I was more just mentioning the returners and the three freshmen I think will be in the lineup at some point.

I'm really high on both of them.  I would probably have Grieshaber in my starting lineup at SS if McAfee had been healthy in the spring.  Grieshaber might be the most athletic player DVH has signed and might have the highest ceiling out of any incoming signee.  I'm really excited to see what he does as a Razorback.

Benninghoff is just like Grieshaber because he is coming in at a position that has a player that could have been drafted return, but it is both Serrano and Spoon as I see Benninghoff as a corner OF.  He also comes in with Bonfield who might be the best pure hitting freshmen at any college this fall.  Benninghoff has good speed, and might have the strongest OF arm on the team.  His arm is definitely a weapon.  He also projects well at the plate.

While we are mentioning talented freshmen who might struggle to find ABs in what I see as a vastly improved offense, I think Chad Spanberger needs to be mentioned as well.  He brings some pop from the LH side of the plate, and could play C, 1B, or DH.  He will struggle to see playing time with Rodriguez, Eagan, and Bax in front of him, but I think he should see some ABs in the pre-con schedule and during the midweek.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Knot2brite on September 02, 2014, 10:26:22 pm
Anymore conversation about Spoon going to second?
I don't know if there is serious discussion about this by the coaching staff, but I see it as the best way to get Spoon's bat in the lineup because we are returning all 3 OF starters and bring in Luke Bonfield and Jack Benninghoff as well as having Clark Eagan who can play out there.  We will have a loaded OF in 2015.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on September 03, 2014, 08:10:16 am
young arms are going to have to come through.
For sure.  Hopefully these freshmen have a little of that 2010 class in them as Astin, Moore, Suggs, Sanburn, and Stanek all stepped up big in their freshman year.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ucahogfan on September 03, 2014, 08:51:59 pm
For sure.  Hopefully these freshmen have a little of that 2010 class in them as Astin, Moore, Suggs, Sanburn, and Stanek all stepped up big in their freshman year.
May be one of the reasons their here.