Started by hawgsak, September 01, 2014, 05:56:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgsak

Why was he not a factor Sat?

Hoggy Hogalot

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: hawgsak on September 01, 2014, 05:56:01 pm
Why was he not a factor Sat?

I seem to recall he dropped a pass in the 4th qtr.

jcharkansas

I was wondering the same thing, I didn't recall seeing him, at least I don't remember him being targeted at all.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on September 01, 2014, 06:01:15 pm
I seem to recall he dropped a pass in the 4th qtr.

Play by play from the boxscore.  Very catchable ball on the sideline.

1st and 10 at ARK 25   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Keon Hatcher       
2nd and 10 at ARK 25   Brandon Allen pass complete to Alex Collins for 5 yds to the Ark 30       
3rd and 5 at ARK 30   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Keon Hatcher       
   Timeout AUBURN, clock 02:25       
4th and 5 at ARK 30   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Drew Morgan

ra2ford

It appears AJ Derby was our primary receiver all day

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: ra2ford on September 01, 2014, 06:10:13 pm

Maybe it was because he was about the only one taking the time to catch the ball.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: ra2ford on September 01, 2014, 06:10:13 pm

Arkansas Receiving
   REC   YDS   AVG   TD   LG
Demetrius Wilson   4   55   13.8   0   26
AJ Derby   4   40   10.0   1   18
Cody Hollister   2   20   10.0   0   15
Keon Hatcher   1   17   17.0   0   17
Korliss Marshall   1   14   14.0   0   14
Hunter Henry   1   14   14.0   1   14
Jeremy Sprinkle   1   10   10.0   0   10
Alex Collins   1   5   5.0   0   5
Patrick Arinze   1   2   2.0   0   2
Jonathan Williams   2   -2   -1.0   0   1
Team   18   175   9.0   2   26

Hog N Bama

knoxvillehog

Morgan was the receiver in the 2Q that drew the defensive holding call. He played just wasn't targeted very often

Burt B.

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on September 01, 2014, 06:12:43 pm
Maybe it was because he was about the only one taking the time to catch the ball.

This

WayneHawg

Seems like a great practice player , but when a ball is thrown his way he seems to freeze up and drop it

Been10Hog

He dropped the only one thrown to him. Hit him in the hands! Perfect ball from BA like at least 2 others thrown to Hatcher, hit him in the hands, incomplete

murthage

4 Drops that I remember:

Hatcher 2, Morgan 1, and Hunter 1 (Tight fit, but in the gut).  1TD and 2 0r 3 First downs lost.

BA would have been 22/31 = 70.9 %   Not to shabby.  Just Sayin'

WBC Hog

Quote from: murthage on September 01, 2014, 09:15:51 pm
4 Drops that I remember:

Hatcher 2, Morgan 1, and Hunter 1 (Tight fit, but in the gut).  1TD and 2 0r 3 First downs lost.

First pass of the game to D Wilson was dropped. Almost turned out being a pick too

ricepig

Quote from: WBC Hog on September 01, 2014, 09:20:47 pm
First pass of the game to D Wilson was dropped. Almost turned out being a pick too

Derby dropped a short pass, too.

GTOWNHOG

There were few passes caught by anyone... 18 catches for 175 yards...  not a very stellar performance..
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

Paul

Wilson also dropped a crucial 3rd down pass on the right sideline to kill a drive.  Think it was in the 3rd qtr

dacskc

Not making excuses, but it was raining pretty hard at the point where he dropped the ball. Everyone was having a little trouble with the grip.

Are we being too hard on the receivers? (IDK, maybe not) Were the number of drops Saturday really unusual or does it just seem like it since we abandoned our gameplan? I can remember plenty of drops during RM's and TW's time as well. J/W if we're making too much of it because the current receivers aren't the playmakers Wright, Adams, and Childs were. I'm thinking the drops could've been magnified because of the situation. Hatcher didn't really get the chance to redeem himself. In years past, if J. Wright dropped a sure TD, you could bet that he'd get a couple more opportunities during the game. But, that situation never presented itself last Sat. I wonder what the percentage of dropped passes was compared to years past?

I agree that any dropped pass is too many, but I would like to say that D. Wilson (for example...may have been others too) did catch a couple balls that were not well-thrown, and that he had to adjust to. One in particular, I remember he was looking over his right shoulder and had to turn his back on, then turned to the opposite shoulder to make the catch. I'm not ready to proclaim them awful just yet. (maybe after a couple more games, but not just yet, lol)

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Paul on September 01, 2014, 09:59:29 pm
Wilson also dropped a crucial 3rd down pass on the right sideline to kill a drive.  Think it was in the 3rd qtr

it was.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on September 01, 2014, 10:02:19 pm
it was.

I believe wilson dropped 2 that were by all means catchable.

jackflash

To stop the 8 or 9 in the box. The WR are going to have to start making plays. I think for the next couple of games you are going to see the Freshman WR given more chances.

hogsanity

Derby has the size and strength to get off the line and get open.  Most of our receivers look like they have been run over by a truck if they barely get bumped.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

JIHawg

The wingrights have to get separations and catch the ball.  If they had zero drops, we win the game.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Paul on September 01, 2014, 09:59:29 pm

While we're reliving the pain...I recall 3 drops that would have been first downs. (Not counting the big potential TD bomb to Hatcher.) One of those was in the first half, and granted, one of those was late and in the rain.

We overlook the smaller ones, but getting a new set of downs...there's no telling how those drives would have turned out.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

jgphillips3

While we are in non-conference, those freshman wide receivers need to see the field a LOT.  They are our best hope for playmakers late in the season.  I understand not throwing them to the wolves on the road against the defending SEC champs, but the next three games are time to get them up to speed.

hogginbama

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on September 01, 2014, 06:14:27 pm

Arkansas Receiving
   REC   YDS   AVG   TD   LG
Demetrius Wilson   4   55   13.8   0   26
AJ Derby   4   40   10.0   1   18
Cody Hollister   2   20   10.0   0   15
Keon Hatcher   1   17   17.0   0   17
Korliss Marshall   1   14   14.0   0   14
Hunter Henry   1   14   14.0   1   14
Jeremy Sprinkle   1   10   10.0   0   10
Alex Collins   1   5   5.0   0   5
Patrick Arinze   1   2   2.0   0   2
Jonathan Williams   2   -2   -1.0   0   1
Team   18   175   9.0   2   26

Now why you gotta bring facts to the conversation? You know we don't care about facts, we only wanna make random assumptions.....lol.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: dacskc on September 01, 2014, 10:00:51 pm
Not making excuses, but it was raining pretty hard at the point where he dropped the ball. Everyone was having a little trouble with the grip.

Are we being too hard on the receivers? (IDK, maybe not) Were the number of drops Saturday really unusual or does it just seem like it since we abandoned our gameplan? I can remember plenty of drops during RM's and TW's time as well. J/W if we're making too much of it because the current receivers aren't the playmakers Wright, Adams, and Childs were. I'm thinking the drops could've been magnified because of the situation. Hatcher didn't really get the chance to redeem himself. In years past, if J. Wright dropped a sure TD, you could bet that he'd get a couple more opportunities during the game. But, that situation never presented itself last Sat. I wonder what the percentage of dropped passes was compared to years past?

I agree that any dropped pass is too many, but I would like to say that D. Wilson (for example...may have been others too) did catch a couple balls that were not well-thrown, and that he had to adjust to. One in particular, I remember he was looking over his right shoulder and had to turn his back on, then turned to the opposite shoulder to make the catch. I'm not ready to proclaim them awful just yet. (maybe after a couple more games, but not just yet, lol)

For having returned from injury and having not seen game action as a result, I thought Wilson did pretty well.  The one for a first down was a little behind him but catchable. 

We had some awful games with drops with that great group of wide receivers.  2009 Ole Miss embarrassment may have been the worst.  Lots of examples of drops from them along with alligator arms a few times and getting pushed around by Bama.  It happens. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 02, 2014, 12:29:04 am
While we're reliving the pain...I recall 3 drops that would have been first downs. (Not counting the big potential TD bomb to Hatcher.) One of those was in the first half, and granted, one of those was late and in the rain.

We overlook the smaller ones, but getting a new set of downs...there's no telling how those drives would have turned out.

Not to mention keeping our defense off the field.

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 01, 2014, 10:04:15 pm
I believe wilson dropped 2 that were by all means catchable.
He also made some of the more difficult catches in the middle of the field if i remember correctly.

SquidBilly

I'm not sure what it was Paul Petrino did when he was coaching WRs but we need to figure it out.  He seemed to be able to get the receivers ready and we didn't have a lot of drops.

HogPound

I don't know about you guys but I was impressed with derby's catching ability and size.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hogsanity on September 01, 2014, 10:59:16 pm
Derby has the size and strength to get off the line and get open.  Most of our receivers look like they have been run over by a truck if they barely get bumped.
This is a much bigger problem than dropping passes. Compared to Auburn's receivers Arkansas' looked like small school high school players.

lefty08

Quote from: Bret Squealema on September 02, 2014, 05:24:33 am
I'm not sure what it was Paul Petrino did when he was coaching WRs but we need to figure it out.  He seemed to be able to get the receivers ready and we didn't have a lot of drops.

The guys he coached were off the charts talented....
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

three hog night

4 Drops that I remember:

This game could have been different if half of those were caught.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

JayBell

Quote from: murthage on September 01, 2014, 09:15:51 pm4 Drops that I remember:

Quote from: WBC Hog on September 01, 2014, 09:20:47 pm
Quote from: ricepig on September 01, 2014, 09:23:56 pm
Derby dropped a short pass, too.

That's at least 6, and yet there are some who are still claiming that Arkansas receivers dropped just two passes Saturday.  I thought there was at least 7, but you start splitting hairs between what is considered a drop and what isn't.

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 02, 2014, 05:57:24 amThis is a much bigger problem than dropping passes. Compared to Auburn's receivers Arkansas' looked like small school high school players.

Which is a big factor in the receivers' lack of ability to get separation from SEC athletes.  They were terrible at it last year.  The new guys look to be better at it.

Wilson looks like he could be the No. 1 guy.  Cornelius didn't catch a pass, but he's the one that next looked the part the most.  We'll see how Jojo and Edwards do, but Bielema seems to favor giving older guys the benefit of the doubt for the first several games.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 02, 2014, 05:57:24 am
This is a much bigger problem than dropping passes. Compared to Auburn's receivers Arkansas' looked like small school high school players.

And maybe being undersized contributes to some anxiety which leads to a drop. That and when the wheels fall off nothing works well.

That being said:  the Keon Hatcher TD drop in the first half was totally inexcusable. Keon is a big dude and experienced.  He's supposed to be "our guy" who hung out with the QBs all summer.  I guess that worked to get him open, but it didn't help him catch. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Bret Squealema on September 02, 2014, 05:24:33 am

Helps when you are coaching Joe Adams, Jarius Wright, Greg Childs, & Cobi Hamilton. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

It is yet another example of what the real issue is, and that is player talent. Right now, the other SEC teams Db's are better than our Wr's.  They are more physical, they are faster, and they have more experience. On the flip side, most teams Wr's are better than our db's for the same reasons, bigger, faster stronger. 

hogfan870

Quote from: BigSexyHog on September 02, 2014, 09:52:02 am
Jesus guys drops happen every game.  You guys act like you never dropped anything before.  Stop being such sissies.   Act like anyone who drops a ball should be castrated or something.

Auburn sure didn't drop many.  Really I only remember one that Coates dropped in the end zone that would have been a great catch. 

azhog10

Except when he himself dropped a ball. It seems as though almost every receiver targeted had a dropped ball. Derby dropped one that would have made it 3rd and short, instead 3rd and long. Wilson dropped one for a first down. Hatcher dropped one for a TD and Drew Morgan dropped one for a 1st down. I'm sure I'm missing one.
did Henry also drop one?

murthage

Although my count was off, according to some.  These were the critical ones that I remembered.  The point of my post was not to bad mouth our receivers, but more to compliment BA for his improvement from last year, when he was not healthy.  Also, BB said in one of his interviews that he is not worried about the receivers.... hope he is right, because it appears BA will get the ball to them.  The interception was an anomaly.  Should not happen very often with our offensive line.

azhog10

Disagree. Size really didn't factor into it at all. One of our best receivers in recent years was not big by any means. Our receivers were able to get open, they just weren't able to catch the ball. Almost 3/4 of the dropped passes came with little to light coverage. Has nothing to do with how big we weren't. These receivers can play in the SEC, if they can learn to catch the ball. Derby is as big of a TE as you are going to see and even he dropped one.

Been10Hog

Quote from: hogfan870 on September 02, 2014, 09:58:03 am
Auburn sure didn't drop many.  Really I only remember one that Coates dropped in the end zone that would have been a great catch.
This! Our receivers don't need or deserve excuses! Catch the ball. I don't remember aTm receivers making critical drops and they threw it 60 times. We gotta catch it!!!

azhog10

Quote from: murthage on September 02, 2014, 10:16:40 am
Although my count was off, according to some.  These were the critical ones that I remembered.  The point of my post was not to bad mouth our receivers, but more to compliment BA for his improvement from last year, when he was not healthy.  Also, BB said in one of his interviews that he is not worried about the receivers.... hope he is right, because it appears BA will get the ball to them.  The interception was an anomaly.  Should not happen very often with our offensive line.
Honestly all in all we played well. For instance what's the one spot on the OLine we were worried about coming in? The Center position. Guess where the blitz came that popped BA? Right between the C and G. On defense it seemed like Gaines was getting picked on time and time again. Our LB's had glimpses at times, and then reminded us of what we used to see last season. They aren't quite consistent enough to be a big time SEC LB corp. Then you have our receivers who we knew were going to be a big question mark. I thought Hollister did okay, but I believe he dropped one as well, Derby was good but had a drop, Henry had a drop, Wilson, Hatcher, and even Morgan had a drop. Thats pretty much our main 4-5 receivers Smith said we had that all had a drop.

So take out our WR's, LBs, one safety, and the C position and we had a pretty good game. With those deficiencies we were able to stay with Auburn for a half till our coaches got stuck in an elevator.......Still can't beleive Auburn can't figure out it's clock and then our elevator happened to break.....

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on September 02, 2014, 09:40:34 am
Helps when you are coaching Joe Adams, Jarius Wright, Greg Childs, & Cobi Hamilton.

Childs early in his career had some drops and Adam's was notorious for drops... remember the Ohio State game?

immahog

hatcher walks into the endzone if he catches that deep ball
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

thirrdegreetusker

4 Drops that I remember:

My thoughts exactly. BA only had a couple of throws all day that were uncatchable (by our guys). He could have been 26 for 31 without a single "sportscenter top 10" catch.

Been10Hog

Drops are not acceptable with our offense! Run ,run, run, first down. Run, run, play action drop, punt.

First down deep ball catches defense off guard, drop, 2nd long.

Can't do that! We have to catch the ball even if there is zero YAC.

onebadrubi

Quote from: JayBell on September 02, 2014, 09:30:02 am
That's at least 6, and yet there are some who are still claiming that Arkansas receivers dropped just two passes Saturday.  I thought there was at least 7, but you start splitting hairs between what is considered a drop and what isn't.

Which is a big factor in the receivers' lack of ability to get separation from SEC athletes.  They were terrible at it last year.  The new guys look to be better at it.

Wilson looks like he could be the No. 1 guy.  Cornelius didn't catch a pass, but he's the one that next looked the part the most.  We'll see how Jojo and Edwards do, but Bielema seems to favor giving older guys the benefit of the doubt for the first several games.

Worse part, people are clamoring Allen drunk it up, yet he went 18/31 with some desperation passes at the end and 6 drops and still hit 175 yards, 1 drop alone would of put him at 230 yards (hatcher first half).