Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

After re-watching the game, sleeping on it, and waiting a few days.

Started by ShadowTheHedgehog, September 01, 2014, 05:39:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowTheHedgehog

Here are my thoughts:

First of all, how much can we really compare the performances against Auburn by the 2014 Hogs and the 2013 Hogs? I think it is very hard to compare, mainly because there are so many variables to consider.

In 2013 Auburn was coming of a losing season, yes they had all the pieces in place to be a great team, but early in the season Auburn had not gelled as a team yet.

In 2013 Auburn played better and better as the season went on and they matured. We played them early in the process.

Home game VS away game.

Difference in weather conditions.

In 2013 Marshall was still new in their system, in 2014 he can run it in his sleep. (I still believe that Marshall was a key factor in last Saturday's loss. Several times in the second half our players had no idea who had the ball. I stated earlier that I think it is very hard to get the youngsters ready to play a guy like Marshall because we don't have anyone who can emulate what he does).

So what can we compare?

Many of our Points in 2013 were scored late in the game presumably not playing against Auburn's first stringers. In 2014 the Hogs first team went toe-to-toe with Auburn's first team for a whole half but then lost wind and fell flat in the second half. This has been attributed among other things to lack of depth, and inexperienced freshmen. It is what it is and the coaches are hitting the recruiting trails hard to remedy this problem. (Of course you could also point out that in 2013 BA was hurt, in 2014 he was healthy. Hence the comment about the many variables).

Something that we don't know yet but may find out is that the 2014 Auburn team may be a lot better than they were in 2013. It will be interesting to see how Bama, LSU etc. do against them this year.

What I did not like:

What I absolutely did not like was the offensive play-calling in the second half. The running attempts that we had were all through the middle against a fully stacked box. The Passing plays that we had were mainly 2 WRs sets where they always ended up being double covered. I also did not like the fact that Chaney blamed the second half problems on poor execution. That may be the case but a coach should always take the blame when things go wrong.

Other observations:

WRs: I think the WRs will get better, I also think we will add some Freshmen to the mix. Everyone in the state has been openly critical of the WRs since 2013. I think they were feeling a lot of pressure. On the big drop, it looked like Keon was already thinking about running for a TD before he even had the ball. I get it they wanted to do well, but they may have been trying too hard. They need to relax, make sure they catch the ball first, and then try to do the play.

Tackling: hmmm, I don't know what to say. If the team starts to try to strip the ball instead of doing solid tackling then the coaches should put a stop to it. Was this something that the players just started doing on their own or was this per design?

Elevator-gate: if the assistant coaches really were stuck in the elevator, then we have the right to be upset. We were rolling, we had the momentum, and the coaches are then prevented from being with the players at halftime.  If, on the other hand, the coaches were not stuck and simply did not want to walk down the stairs as some have suggested, then maybe it is time to put some of the coaches through Herb's program.

Go Hogs!!

Bahahaha11

I watched the first half twice. Can't yet yank up the guts to watch the second half yet.

HogGoneWild

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Bahahaha11 on September 01, 2014, 05:46:00 pm
I watched the first half twice. Can't yet yank up the guts to watch the second half yet.

Yeah was like a Stephen King movie, good to about halfway through and crappy ending.

la20688

hawg IQ

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 01, 2014, 05:49:46 pm
Yeah was like a Stephen King movie, good to about halfway through and crappy ending.
Auburn improved their game in second half, coaches gambled on defense, hogs could not exploit their secondary. I don't think Marshall was that big a factor, just made it easier to get a TD.

as far as Arkansas forgetting to run...who knows. See this is the thing with these coaches (BB and staff) they are there coaching their behinds off looking great and then its like somebody hits the "off" switch. There is nothing left to try on offense.. no screens, counters, draws, rollouts to RB. they start doing things hogs don't have... like a passing game ? we keep shooting blanks with a one dimensional qb,
  surely there's an old tape of a BP spread in VCR somewhere.

We want our players to play 4 quarters, well lets coach 4 quarters also.
go hogs go !

redeye

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 01, 2014, 05:39:06 pm
What I absolutely did not like was the offensive play-calling in the second half. The running attempts that we had were all through the middle against a fully stacked box. The Passing plays that we had were mainly 2 WRs sets where they always ended up being double covered. I also did not like the fact that Chaney blamed the second half problems on poor execution. That may be the case but a coach should always take the blame when things go wrong.

This has to improve.  IIRC, we only had 6 rushing attempts the entire 2nd half.  When teams stack the box, you can't just give up on running.  And whether we're running or passing, I just don't think playcalling is up to par in the 2nd half.

hogsanity

I like how some of you rematch games like you're some coordinator breaking down tape. I watched it live. Higs are lacking in the back 7 & the wrs still have trouble getting open & catching the ball. No depth either. Where other teams have juniors &  seniors in key spots the hogs are counting on freshmen & sophomores.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

sechog

Quote from: Bahahaha11 on September 01, 2014, 05:46:00 pm

I've re watched the second half. It was ok until 3:00 left in the 3rd qtr. BA interception.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: hawg IQ on September 01, 2014, 06:03:32 pm
Auburn improved their game in second half, coaches gambled on defense, hogs could not exploit their secondary. I don't think Marshall was that big a factor, just made it easier to get a TD.

as far as Arkansas forgetting to run...who knows. See this is the thing with these coaches (BB and staff) they are there coaching their behinds off looking great and then its like somebody hits the "off" switch. There is nothing left to try on offense.. no screens, counters, draws, rollouts to RB. they start doing things hogs don't have... like a passing game ? we keep shooting blanks with a one dimensional qb,
  surely there's an old tape of a BP spread in VCR somewhere.

We want our players to play 4 quarters, well lets coach 4 quarters also.

I saw DLs and LBs following the wrong players on several occasions when Marshall was in the game. Those plays where he reads the D and at the last second either runs with it or hands it off was confusing our D. I did not see the same in the first half. That is what I was referring to.

I agree that when they stacked the box we should had spread it out a bit more. Maybe we just don't have the players to do so. They were stacking 7 in the box, then using 2 Corners 1-1 on our WRs. The safeties would then just wait and either help with the run D (giving them 9 on run D) or dash out and help the Corners (double team our WRs) on the short passes to the side. Runs through the middle and short passes to the sideline were basically the only types of plays we attempted in the second half (with a toss play mixed in once in a while). Something else we may try if we don't have the personnel to spread the field when they stack up the box, may be to have some crosses across the middle. some runs to the sidelines (that are not just a toss), and maybe even using TEs as our WRs on the 2 WRs sets where we know they will be double teamed. Maybe a big TE type as WR could get us 5-6 yards per try. And make them back up a bit.

hawg IQ

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 01, 2014, 07:28:21 pm
I saw DLs and LBs following the wrong players on several occasions when Marshall was in the game. Those plays where he reads the D and at the last second either runs with it or hands it off was confusing our D. I did not see the same in the first half. That is what I was referring to.

I agree that when they stacked the box we should had spread it out a bit more. Maybe we just don't have the players to do so. They were stacking 7 in the box, then using 2 Corners 1-1 on our WRs. The safeties would then just wait and either help with the run D (giving them 9 on run D) or dash out and help the Corners (double team our WRs) on the short passes to the side. Runs through the middle and short passes to the sideline were basically the only types of plays we attempted in the second half (with a toss play mixed in once in a while). Something else we may try if we don't have the personnel to spread the field when they stack up the box, may be to have some crosses across the middle. some runs to the sidelines (that are not just a toss), and maybe even using TEs as our WRs on the 2 WRs sets where we know they will be double teamed. Maybe a big TE type as WR could get us 5-6 yards per try. And make them back up a bit.
see that's the trouble with BA, he's a hand off quarterback or an in the pocket passer. When we can't use the width of the field with motion or option pitches, the offense loses its ability to be effective when the other team stacks 9 in a box.
  With motion and option come mis-direction plays which kills with strong fast backs like we have.  Also passing lanes become more available.. That is the beauty in an auburn type of attack, it create one on one match ups instead of 9 on one match ups.
You can have a drop back passer with a Mallett or Wilson because of running a spread offense.
go hogs go !

texas tush hog

Quote from: sechog on September 01, 2014, 07:23:55 pm
I've re watched the second half. It was ok until 3:00 left in the 3rd qtr. BA interception.

Hit while throwing by Therizie and threw a dying quail that did not have a chance at a wide open receiver. If Therizie is blocked it could have been six for us instead of six for them. Turned the whole game around. Big Mo changed sides.