Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

09/02/2006: Arkansas Loses 14 - 50 at Home.

Started by airforcehog42, September 01, 2014, 04:02:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

airforcehog42

I hardly ever post, however I just wanted to point one thing out to everyone who might be jumping ship for the season.  In 2006, we suffered a terrible defeat in our first game to the USC Trojans at home by a score of 14-50, and it put a pretty dark cloud on my hopes for the rest of the season! In the end, we ended up going 10-4!

Now, I know we had some special individuals on that team. However at that point, I'm pretty sure its safe to say we didn't know the full potential that would be revealed by many of those legendary Razorbacks. 

So I look forward to watching these young players take advantage of their opportunities, and hope to see some of them make their mark like the Hogs before them...

WPS

AirForceHog42

Dwight_K_Shrute

That team had a master motivator for a head coach. A charismatic leader who could pick his team up from the lowest of lows. The team also had an offensive guru the like a of which college football had not seen. They had Reggie Herring as DC ready to knock opponents in the mouth. And they had a group of young home grown players ready to blow up. To summarize Houston Nutt ain't walking through that door. Gus Malzahn ain't walking through that door. Pink Moo Moo ain't walking through that door
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: airforcehog42 on September 01, 2014, 04:02:26 pm
I hardly ever post, however I just wanted to point one thing out to everyone who might be jumping ship for the season.  In 2006, we suffered a terrible defeat in our first game to the USC Trojans at home by a score of 14-50, and it put a pretty dark cloud on my hopes for the rest of the season! In the end, we ended up going 10-4!

Now, I know we had some special individuals on that team. However at that point, I'm pretty sure its safe to say we didn't know the full potential that would be revealed by many of those legendary Razorbacks. 

So I look forward to watching these young players take advantage of their opportunities, and hope to see some of them make their mark like the Hogs before them...

WPS

AirForceHog42

I thought of this on Saturday too. Good thoughts.
[CENSORED]!

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 01, 2014, 04:13:02 pm
That team had a master motivator for a head coach. A charismatic leader who could pick his team up from the lowest of lows. The team also had an offensive guru the like a of which college football had not seen. They had Reggie Herring as DC ready to knock opponents in the mouth. And they had a group of young home grown players ready to blow up. To summarize Houston Nutt ain't walking through that door. Gus Malzahn ain't walking through that door. Pink Moo Moo ain't walking through that door
#5, #25, #22, #85 ain't walking through that same door
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Cartoon Man

PonderinHog

Quote from: Cartoon Man on September 01, 2014, 04:36:19 pm
We don't want Nutt walking thru the door.
It was hard enough getting him out that door.

Poker_hog

Everyone loves to leave out that our hiesman runner-up sat out the first game
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: airforcehog42 on September 01, 2014, 04:02:26 pm

WPS

AirForceHog42

Don't try to rationalize with losers.  If these losers want to bail on the Hogs, encourage them to do so.  When things go well they are the first to thump their chests over something somebody else accomplishes. When things get a little tough they whine like babies, sulk, and are quick to throw in the towel. 

These losers certainly aren't someone you want having you back because as soon as the fight starts all you see of them are a$$ holes and elbows running away. Let them go and wallow in their own pathetic lives.  The Arkansas Razorbacks don't need them. 

flippinhogmana

airforce, I will summarize the preponderance of the replies to your post which did nothing more than to put the disappointing loss in perspective (both then and now): "Gloom, despair and agony on me, deep dark depression, excessive misery, if it werent for bad luck we'd have no luck at all".

Isn't that what it sounded like to you?  Hillis, Monk, McFadden, Jones and several good offensive linemen were just pups then.  How many do we have that are just pups that will also rise to hollowed halls where their names are mentioned almost in whispers?  Shall it be Skipper, Kirkland, Collins, Henry, Derby and a host of others.

We will be 4-1 heading into Bama.  I think we can take Bama. 

Yes we were humbled, but this thing aint over not by a long shot.  Just as it wasn't in 2006.  I felt about the same the next couple of days after 2006 (I don't think Mac played that game and Felix sucked) by the way as most of these guys answering you do now.

Gloom, despair and agony of the hog faithful....for now anyway....but it will get better.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

HogGoneWild

Mitch Mustain and DMac ain't either

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 01, 2014, 04:41:28 pm
It was hard enough getting him out that door.
3 million in cold hard cash eased the pain on Hooten

Granny fan

Iwastherein1969

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HogGoneWild on September 01, 2014, 04:54:55 pm
By the way, all that BS analysis by you last week was so spot on right? End of the day, all that analyzing didn't mean nothing. Auburn was the better team and will continue to be the better team as long as Gus is our coach and Bret is your coach. I would probably start rooting for Arky St or something in protest until Jeff Long corrects his mistake of hiring Bret and brings the wonderful fans of the state of Arkansas a product worth investing in. No more of this 5 year rebuild non-sense. Be honest with yourself, that is a joke right?

What the hell? I picked us to lose this game. And your willingness to write off the whole program is rash and overly emotional. Go get a tampon.
[CENSORED]!

pfrg999

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on September 01, 2014, 04:46:45 pm
Don't try to rationalize with losers.  If these losers want to bail on the Hogs, encourage them to do so.  When things go well they are the first to thump their chests over something somebody else accomplishes. When things get a little tough they whine like babies, sulk, and are quick to throw in the towel. 

These losers certainly aren't someone you want having you back because as soon as the fight starts all you see of them are a$$ holes and elbows running away. Let them go and wallow in their own pathetic lives.  The Arkansas Razorbacks don't need them. 

This is what is wrong with this board... Look how he denigrates those who think different... Even if wrong are the "losers" and "pathertic" ?  No reason to discuss...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Biggus Piggus

That team struggled to score for much of that season. The offense did not begin to round into shape until the second half of the season. But let's not relive all of that. Wasn't the OP's point whatsoever.
[CENSORED]!

jgphillips3

It would be wonderful if that could happen, but that team had serious NFL talent and an offensive mastermind about to take flight.  I still believe we make a minor bowl but there is no way this team can even come close to replicating that season.  However, they can pick themselves up by their boot straps, get to a bowl and start building to a bright future.

VT HOG

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 01, 2014, 04:43:16 pm

No... Dmac played in that game.

Torqued pork

I don't think Auburn could touch that USC team.

Pig Worshipper

Nicely done.

The OP makes an excellent point. One game does not make or break a season (unless it's against the Texas Longhorns).

menehune

Quote from: HogGoneWild on September 01, 2014, 04:54:55 pm
By the way, all that BS analysis by you last week was so spot on right? End of the day, all that analyzing didn't mean nothing. Auburn was the better team and will continue to be the better team as long as Gus is our coach and Bret is your coach. I would probably start rooting for Arky St or something in protest until Jeff Long corrects his mistake of hiring Bret and brings the wonderful fans of the state of Arkansas a product worth investing in. No more of this 5 year rebuild non-sense. Be honest with yourself, that is a joke right?

HogGoneWild - at least change your name to something either Gus or Auburn related - you have put in writing who is the coach of your team...and that team isn't Arkansas! 

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 01, 2014, 04:43:16 pm

Nice revisionist history.  So while you are trying to out clever everyone get your facts straight.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=262450008
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

texas tush hog

redeye

2006 started bad because Nutt was severely outcoached.  If Bielema had that team, we'd have beaten Auburn yesterday.

I don't see any similarities, but that's because losing to a great Auburn team on the road isn't the same as getting blown out at home with a great team.

Ramtough

Quote from: Cartoon Man on September 01, 2014, 04:36:19 pm
We don't want Nutt walking thru the door.
Never thought I'd say it but he's better than what we have boys and that's just a fact!!

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

CallThemHawgs!

Sadly, you are correct.

There were some major differences between this team and that team. None of which bode well for this years team.

PorkerOinker

Quote from: Ramtough on September 01, 2014, 10:12:44 pm
Never thought I'd say it but he's better than what we have boys and that's just a fact!!

You would only be willing to post something that dumb under a fake name.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

DeltaBoy

We caught USC when they were at the TOP of the PAC -10 and we were still mid level.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

alwaysnextyear

You think we ran Malzahn's offense? Wow. Dude had zero input. And Herring was awful. He's lucky our pass rush was elite that year. Nothing really to beat your chest about losing 4 games including two at home. And let's not forget Bielema whipped us in the bowl with an outmanned team.

hawgsalot

Ok how about 2010 when we were soooooo gooood....  Very similar to this game except our fans believed this was to get us in the national championship game.

(3) Arkansas 17
(10-2, 6-2 SEC)

(1) LSU 41
(12-0, 8-0 SEC)
Coverage: CBS
2:30 PM ET, November 25, 2011
Tiger Stadium (LA), Baton Rouge, LA
           1    2   3       4      T
#3   ARK   0   14   3   0   17
#1   LSU   0   21   3   17   41
Top Performers
Passing: J. Jefferson (LSU) - 208 YDS, 1 TD, 1 INT
Rushing: K. Hilliard (LSU) - 19 CAR, 102 YDS, 1 TD
Receiving: R. Randle (LSU) - 9 REC, 134 YDS

ARK   LSU
1st Downs   11   26
Total Yards   254   494
Passing   207   208
Rushing   47   286
Possession   22:51   37:09

I'm certain you doom and gloom guys were banging the fire petrino drum right?

Rey Pygsterio

That team went 7-1 in the SEC and almost beat Florida in the championship game.

Are you friggin' kidding me with this post?
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

lahawg1

Yeah well, he could snatch defeat quicker from the jaws of victory faster than anyone I've ever seen too....

airforcehog42

Well, that escalated quickly...  The point of the post was that this was only the first game of the season, and to not be too quick to jump off a cliff because we lost.  We all know that a team (any team) you see in november is never the same team you saw in september. Sure you could say that this team is no "2006", but you can only say that because hindsight is 20/20, so just keep that in perspective

WPS

Airforcehog42

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hawgsalot on September 02, 2014, 09:29:24 am
Ok how about 2010 when we were soooooo gooood....  Very similar to this game except our fans believed this was to get us in the national championship game.

(3) Arkansas 17
(10-2, 6-2 SEC)

(1) LSU 41
(12-0, 8-0 SEC)
Coverage: CBS
2:30 PM ET, November 25, 2011
Tiger Stadium (LA), Baton Rouge, LA
           1    2   3       4      T
#3   ARK   0   14   3   0   17
#1   LSU   0   21   3   17   41
Top Performers
Passing: J. Jefferson (LSU) - 208 YDS, 1 TD, 1 INT
Rushing: K. Hilliard (LSU) - 19 CAR, 102 YDS, 1 TD
Receiving: R. Randle (LSU) - 9 REC, 134 YDS

ARK   LSU
1st Downs   11   26
Total Yards   254   494
Passing   207   208
Rushing   47   286
Possession   22:51   37:09

I'm certain you doom and gloom guys were banging the fire petrino drum right?

Let's get some facts straight first.  If you are talking 2010 as you first state we beat LSU that year and went to Sugar.

Your game results are 2011.  We would have been 10-1 before the game and LSU 11-0.  A win in that game theoretically may have put us in the NC picture but there would have been a 3 way tie for the SEC W with Bama, Ark, and LSU all at 7-1.  Not sure how the tie breaker scenarios would  have played out since Bama beat us, LSU beat Bama and we beat LSU.

Then there is also context.  By that time we had already won 10 out of 11 games so even losing this one left us with a win % of 83% for the season.  We had also beaten the defending national champs.  Right now our win % is 0% so two very different situations and times.

aar0n

And that's why our current coach beat us at that time like a redheaded stepchild?

Atlhogfan1

Not comparable.  Our 2006 defense was in a different class from our defense this season.  1st R draft pick at DE and 2nd R pick at CB.  A playmaker at safety who could cover a lot of ground.  Veteran DT's.  It wasn't a great defense but it was one who could hold its own most games.

The 06 USC game was also influenced by DMac's self induced offseason injury and Felix not getting contact in August.  Fumbles set the tone for that beatdown. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hoghevn

THANK GOD THOSE PEOPLE AREN'T WALKING THRU THE DOOR....... AGAIN!!
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

Calling All Hogs

I think playing a tough opponent the first game forces a team to grow up quicker and allows for extra time to fix weaknesses exposed early on. It is better than just playing cupcake row at the beginning of a season.  Playing Auburn early will pay dividends later on.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on September 02, 2014, 02:38:40 pm
I think playing a tough opponent the first game forces a team to grow up quicker and allows for extra time to fix weaknesses exposed early on. It is better than just playing cupcake row at the beginning of a season.  Playing Auburn early will pay dividends later on.
That is certainly my hope.

Fatty McGee

Never more cheering in a loss that bad as when Mustain came on the field in that game.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

hawgsalot

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 02, 2014, 01:52:37 pm
Let's get some facts straight first.  If you are talking 2010 as you first state we beat LSU that year and went to Sugar.

Your game results are 2011.  We would have been 10-1 before the game and LSU 11-0.  A win in that game theoretically may have put us in the NC picture but there would have been a 3 way tie for the SEC W with Bama, Ark, and LSU all at 7-1.  Not sure how the tie breaker scenarios would  have played out since Bama beat us, LSU beat Bama and we beat LSU.

Then there is also context.  By that time we had already won 10 out of 11 games so even losing this one left us with a win % of 83% for the season.  We had also beaten the defending national champs.  Right now our win % is 0% so two very different situations and times.

Your exactly right it was 2011 and a much much much more disappointing defeat.  We had an offensive genius coach that was suppose to be able to score on anyone. We were suppose to be number 3 in the country and able to play with anyone home or on the road.  Today, we're building and suppose to struggle against a top 5 team on the road and still played every bit as good as the 2011 team.

razorbackkid

I really fear for humanity sometimes.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.