Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Improvements from game 1 to game 2

Started by BigSexyHog, September 01, 2014, 03:08:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSexyHog

Let's see them and how the next few games go.  I was really disappointed in the effort and play in the 2nd half.   Including the coaches.  Well mostly the coaches. We need to start believing we can win and learn how to win.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Biggus Piggus

What happened in the second half was

Auburn put their running QB, Nick Marshall, in the game. He executed far better in the running game than passer Jeremy Johnson could. They drove on our defense and scored. The Hogs went three and out. Auburn did the worst possible thing - fumbled on first down at midfield.

Arkansas drove right into scoring position. It came down to third and 4 to go at the Auburn 28. The Hogs had Alex Collins in the game. Collins had been magic. The call was a power sweep to the short side. Auburn overwhelmed the blocking and caught Collins for a big loss. Our coaches were unwilling to go for a 51-yard field goal.

Sam Irwin-Hill punted the Tigers back to their 11. Within a few plays, Auburn had reached midfield. Nick Marshall was swarmed by the aggressive Hogs, taking a loss. A substitution infraction made it third and 15. Tevin Beanum almost got to Marshall, who threw off the mark. Punt. A second stop. Maybe this was going to be a tight one.

On second down and 7, Robinson Therezie came right up the middle untouched and collided with Brandon Allen, who was trying to hurry the throw. A wounded duck came out, and Jermaine Whitehead took it back for a touchdown.

After the pick six, Arkansas was not the same on offense or defense. Allen's rash decision undid a lot of good things that had happened. Late into the third quarter, this was still anyone's ballgame.

Allen overcame a penalty and made a good pass to Cody Hollister for a first down. A screen pass gained nothing, soon leading to third and long. Pass protection was poor, and Allen's throw to Jared Cornelius was under duress and off target. Another punt.

Auburn marched downfield from its own 10 powered solely by the running game. Two pass attempts by Marshall failed, the second being a sack on third down. Auburn settled for a field goal right before play was suspended.

The Hogs, upon their return, opened with a successful screen pass to Korliss Marshall. After QB sneaking to a first down, the last three plays of the possession were passes. One connected, for short yardage. Third down brought a LB blitz sack and a punt. No effort to run with the football, no sustained drive.

Auburn ran the ball eight straight plays, gained 85 yards and a touchdown.

Arkansas threw four passes, one connected for short yardage, and gave up the football on downs. Auburn assumed the victory formation.
[CENSORED]!

Iwastherein1969

I lived in Thibodaux, LA for 2 years of my life....Nicholls State was about a mile away from my girlfriend's house and everything about the campus is nothing, or should I say was nothing short of pathetic...we should be able to name the score on these chumps....if we struggle in the least against this crew, it will be a long year....SAU could run these guys out of Mule Rider Stadium
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

greasy_corner

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 01, 2014, 05:03:29 pm
I lived in Thibodaux, LA for 2 years of my life....Nicholls State was about a mile away from my girlfriend's house and everything about the campus is nothing, or should I say was nothing short of pathetic...we should be able to name the score on these chumps....if we struggle in the least against this crew, it will be a long year....SAU could run these guys out of Mule Rider Stadium

I heard of a man that grew up about forty-five minutes southeast of Thibodaux, Louisiana. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: greasy_corner on September 01, 2014, 05:15:03 pm
I heard of a man that grew up about forty-five minutes southeast of Thibodaux, Louisiana. 

Was he named for a man of the cloth?
[CENSORED]!

texas tush hog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 01, 2014, 04:56:24 pm

Auburn put their running QB, Nick Marshall, in the game. He executed far better in the running game than passer Jeremy Johnson could. They drove on our defense and scored. The Hogs went three and out. Auburn did the worst possible thing - fumbled on first down at midfield.

Arkansas drove right into scoring position. It came down to third and 4 to go at the Auburn 28. The Hogs had Alex Collins in the game. Collins had been magic. The call was a power sweep to the short side. Auburn overwhelmed the blocking and caught Collins for a big loss. Our coaches were unwilling to go for a 51-yard field goal.

Sam Irwin-Hill punted the Tigers back to their 11. Within a few plays, Auburn had reached midfield. Nick Marshall was swarmed by the aggressive Hogs, taking a loss. A substitution infraction made it third and 15. Tevin Beanum almost got to Marshall, who threw off the mark. Punt. A second stop. Maybe this was going to be a tight one.

On second down and 7, Robinson Therezie came right up the middle untouched and collided with Brandon Allen, who was trying to hurry the throw. A wounded duck came out, and Jermaine Whitehead took it back for a touchdown.

After the pick six, Arkansas was not the same on offense or defense. Allen's rash decision undid a lot of good things that had happened. Late into the third quarter, this was still anyone's ballgame.

Allen overcame a penalty and made a good pass to Cody Hollister for a first down. A screen pass gained nothing, soon leading to third and long. Pass protection was poor, and Allen's throw to Jared Cornelius was under duress and off target. Another punt.

Auburn marched downfield from its own 10 powered solely by the running game. Two pass attempts by Marshall failed, the second being a sack on third down. Auburn settled for a field goal right before play was suspended.

The Hogs, upon their return, opened with a successful screen pass to Korliss Marshall. After QB sneaking to a first down, the last three plays of the possession were passes. One connected, for short yardage. Third down brought a LB blitz sack and a punt. No effort to run with the football, no sustained drive.

Arkansas threw four passes, one connected for short yardage, and gave up the football on downs. Auburn assumed the victory formation.

Biggus, anybody who would argue with your synopsis has apparently never played the game, much less coached it. Great post.

HiggiePiggy

Really won't be a lot of improvements to be seen in the next opponent other than can receivers catch a ball.  We won't know if our defense has improved much until the Texas Tech game. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Calling All Hogs

First games of the season are not really good predictors of how a season will go. There is a lot of instability that first game which dramatically improves by even game two. This is why teams historically play rent-a-win teams game one. Truth is that aTm probably isn't a world class beater and South Carolina probably is not doomed to be a bottom feeder this season. Arkansas is probably not as bad as they looked second half and Auburn is not ready to compete in the NFL. Even Vegas can't predict much when it comes to game ones. I went with the odds favorites in the HV Pick Ems and only got 6 games right.

lefty08

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on September 01, 2014, 08:59:51 pm
Really won't be a lot of improvements to be seen in the next opponent other than can receivers catch a ball.  We won't know if our defense has improved much until the Texas Tech game.

Wait a second......if we can point.out negatives as theyre fact against a top 5 offense, then we surely.can find positives against a bad offense. Its only fair right? Either way its too early for freak out mode. Had we played nicholls st first and dominated them, these same.idiots would be saying its just nichols st. Its a pathetic time to be on hogville, and thats saying something
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 01, 2014, 05:03:29 pm

I think that the only way we don't see a blowout is if we use a lot of the plays to give the new guys some experience, and let them execute in a game situation, in order to re-evaluate where they are at and start to get some of them ready to play along the stretch.

Quickdraw

This is a good opportunity for the wide receivers to practice catching the football with their hands and not there bodies. And for our defense "especially" Defensive backs to practice tackling instead of trying to strip the ball.

hogmolar

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on September 01, 2014, 09:09:02 pm
First games of the season are not really good predictors of how a season will go. There is a lot of instability that first game which dramatically improves by even game two. This is why teams historically play rent-a-win teams game one. Truth is that aTm probably isn't a world class beater and South Carolina probably is not doomed to be a bottom feeder this season. Arkansas is probably not as bad as they looked second half and Auburn is not ready to compete in the NFL. Even Vegas can't predict much when it comes to game ones. I went with the odds favorites in the HV Pick Ems and only got 6 games right.
Example Razorbacks 2013

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 01, 2014, 05:15:34 pm

I believe so.  His dad had a pretty wife named Hannah.

Tejano Jawg

One improvement, for us, from game 1 to game 2—our opponent.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: lefty08 on September 01, 2014, 09:12:00 pm
Wait a second......if we can point.out negatives as theyre fact against a top 5 offense, then we surely.can find positives against a bad offense. Its only fair right? Either way its too early for freak out mode. Had we played nicholls st first and dominated them, these same.idiots would be saying its just nichols st. Its a pathetic time to be on hogville, and thats saying something

That's the thing. It is just Nichols state.  You can't sit there and say we should see a ton of improvement.   This is a team that sucks.  They were 4-8 in division 2 football last year.   The only thing we will find out about our team is if our receivers can catch a ball.   We won't find out much defensively unless state can throw all over on us.  If that happens then we know that are defense is extremely bad. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

WayneHawg

What we need is to win the next three games , next wk should be a given, TT will give some confidence to the team as well as NIU becauce these are not push overs. Now if we lose either it could snowball in the other direction.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 01, 2014, 05:15:34 pm

Yep he Amos Moses . he could eat up his weight in grocery's.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PonderinHog

Quote from: MJ2 on September 02, 2014, 07:42:35 am
We've lost 10 in a row - nothing is certain.

We're at an all time low.
The streak ends at 10.

smb

I was at the game and this is what i came away with. 1st we are not in the great shape physically as we were led to beleive. Example 1st half yes but 2 yards rushing in second half. We still are not able to tackle very well. Example missed tackle led to touchdown we need to make tackle first. We still make crucial mistakes. Examples Brandon Allen dives 2 yards short for a first down, receiver has sure TD and drops pass, a missed block with an open receiver leads to an interception. But most important to me is when defense gets you a turn over we got to take advantage. I'm sure folks have some more but that is what I observed.
GeorgiaHOG

Biggus Piggus

I was glad Brandon Allen rolled short of the first down that you're talking about. To get the first down, he would have had to take two big shots. I am glad he did not. Would have been foolish. He went down at the point where they couldn't hit him without drawing a penalty. Auburn's defenders were smartly inside the first down marker.
[CENSORED]!

RazorWhacker

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 02, 2014, 08:12:05 am
Yep he Amos Moses . he could eat up his weight in grocery's.

I think I know him. A gator took his arm off clean up to the elbow.

razorbackkid

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 01, 2014, 04:56:24 pm

You failed to address the improvement from game 1 to game 2 part of the topic.....:)

I think we'll see better receiver play.....but, then again, it is Nichols State....so who knows.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.