Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winning vs elite offenses

Started by Poker_hog, September 01, 2014, 01:18:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Poker_hog

I think it was foolish to think our defense could stop or slow down au.  They had basically the same personnel that shredded much more talented teams than us last year.  They were gonna get their points.  Playing for field position vs these type teams is useless.  The numbers favor going for it on 4th down way more than you would think vs these type teams with great offenses and marginal defenses.  Even an onside kick ever now and then makes sense.  It takes elite defensive talent to stop these teams (au, A&M, Oregon).  I would like to see more aggressive game management vs these teams, knowing its gonna take 35 or more to win.  I love what CBB is doing with our lines, but I think he's gonna have to adapt some of his in game coaching philosophy's to win big here.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

FootballFanatic89

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 01, 2014, 01:18:02 pm
I think it was foolish to think our defense could stop or slow down au.  They had basically the same personnel that shredded much more talented teams than us last year.  They were gonna get their points.  Playing for field position vs these type teams is useless.  The numbers favor going for it on 4th down way more than you would think vs these type teams with great offenses and marginal defenses.  Even an onside kick ever now and then makes sense.  It takes elite defensive talent to stop these teams (au, A&M, Oregon).  I would like to see more aggressive game management vs these teams, knowing its gonna take 35 or more to win.  I love what CBB is doing with our lines, but I think he's gonna have to adapt some of his in game coaching philosophy's to win big here.

Just being devil's advocate here, but if you guys would've went for it on 4th down, a lot of people would've been unhappy if there wasn't a positive conversion ratio. Basically, your defense just needs to be held more accountable.

Poker_hog

Quote from: FootballFanatic89 on September 01, 2014, 01:20:33 pm
Just being devil's advocate here, but if you guys would've went for it on 4th down, a lot of people would've been unhappy if there wasn't a positive conversion ratio. Basically, your defense just needs to be held more accountable.

I think they were outmatched.  You can chew a 4.7/40 safety out all day but he's not gonna stay with a 4.4/40 wr.

The hawg offense was not outmatched. 
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt