Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We played Auburn better last year.

Started by atekido, September 01, 2014, 12:01:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

atekido

So does that mean we are not much improved from last year or does that mean Auburn is just that much improved?

We did start out slow last year but got back in the game somewhat in the 2nd half but we had more first downs,  more yards,  more 3rd down conversions, and held auburn to a lot less total yards.  The only thing we did worse last year was we had 3 turnovers.

Poker_hog

I agree with this although we probably would have played better at home.  Fatigue is not as bad when 70k plus are cheering for you. 

Clearly au improved since they played us last year, I think we have too.  The gap is the same. 
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 01, 2014, 12:07:24 pm
I agree with this although we probably would have played better at home.  Fatigue is not as bad when 70k plus are cheering for you. 

Clearly au improved since they played us last year, I think we have too.  The gap is the same.

Right. An 18 pt. home loss vs a 24 point road loss is probably a wash.

Poker_hog

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on September 01, 2014, 12:14:26 pm
Right. An 18 pt. home loss vs a 24 point road loss is probably a wash.

That's generally true but this team is especially fragile between the ears.  Maybe things don't spiral out of control in the 2nd half if we were at home.

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 01, 2014, 12:33:19 pm
That's generally true but this team is especially fragile between the ears.  Maybe things don't spiral out of control in the 2nd half if we were at home.

Quite a rough assessment for having only seen one game so far, don't you think?

Let me remind you that Auburn was ranked #6, coming off a national champ game appearance, and we played them at their house..

HyperDrive

Quote from: atekido on September 01, 2014, 12:01:16 pm
So does that mean we are not much improved from last year or does that mean Auburn is just that much improved?

We did start out slow last year but got back in the game somewhat in the 2nd half but we had more first downs,  more yards,  more 3rd down conversions, and held auburn to a lot less total yards.  The only thing we did worse last year was we had 3 turnovers.

Auburn wasn't as good last year.

Poker_hog

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on September 01, 2014, 01:37:08 pm

Quite a rough assessment for having only seen one game so far, don't you think?

Let me remind you that Auburn was ranked #6, coming off a national champ game appearance, and we played them at their house..

No.  I think is a normal reaction to being on a 9 game losing streak.

GlassofSwine

We did not play Auburn better last year. We were down 28-3 midway through the 3rd quarter at home. This year we were down 28-21 at the same point. Simply comparing statistics and the final score does not tell the whole story.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: GlassofSwine on September 01, 2014, 02:01:42 pm
We did not play Auburn better last year. We were down 28-3 midway through the 3rd quarter at home. This year we were down 28-21 at the same point. Simply comparing statistics and the final score does not tell the whole story.

I agree with this.   We played much better this year than last year.  Defensively we are still very questionable.   Offensively we did pretty good except game adjusting for the second half. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

PonderinHog

popcornhog

Quote from: HyperDrive on September 01, 2014, 01:47:20 pm

Based on just one game, I agree.

A&M looks like the best team in the conference right now and Auburn doesn't look like they're too far behind. Maybe LSU at a distant 3rd.

Tennessee looked better than I expected.

It's hard to predict much off if one week though.

As far as we're concerned -- WR's and Defensuve secondary MUST improve but I still think we look good enough to win six games as compared to the rest of our schedule. But who knows, we haven't seen enough yet.

Nobody in their right mind expected to beat y'all at home anyway.
WPS

3kgthog

You can't say Auburn is the best right now considering they just played us. We'll be dead last in the SEC in defense. That's nothing to evaluate the Tigers on.

popcornhog

Quote from: 3kgthog on September 01, 2014, 02:31:55 pm
You can't say Auburn is the best right now considering they just played us. We'll be dead last in the SEC in defense. That's nothing to evaluate the Tigers on.

The inverse can be said too. One game in -- we'll know more as the season progresses. But for now -- AU looked like the 2nd best team in the sec this weekend.
WPS

Hogwild

Quote from: popcornhog on September 01, 2014, 02:17:18 pm
Based on just one game, I agree.

A&M looks like the best team in the conference right now and Auburn doesn't look like they're too far behind. Maybe LSU at a distant 3rd.

I take it you didn't see the UGA game.

peachy

I think Arkansas played much better this year.  It was tied 21-21 at halftime.  Last year Auburn had a 28-3 lead at one point.  Arkansas is much improved.  But like I said, this is probably the best offense Auburn has ever put together.  The fact that you guys held us to 38 offensive points in our home stadium says a lot about how far you've come.  I don't expect many teams to hold our offense that low. 

You guys are much better than I thought you would be.  It will take another year but BB has them on the right track.  You just don't have the schedule like some teams to show it.  I believe if you had Alabama's opening schedule you would be 3-0 heading into the Florida game.

popcornhog

Quote from: Hogwild on September 01, 2014, 03:05:20 pm
I take it you didn't see the UGA game.

Very good point - Completely forgot about them rocking Clemson (I didn't watch much of it). I like them to win the East.

Just based on this weekend:

1) A&M
2) AU/UGA
4) LSU
WPS

tampahog

They also beat us by 22 in 2010 which is the only bcs team we have ever fielded.  I think both teams are better this year than last.  We will win some sec games this year.  We are improved this year but again, CBBs approach is to start mostly upperclassmen who have multiple years in the system and strength program. 

hawgon

I don't know that we can say much one way or another about improvement.  We're going to see how it plays out.  We seem to have the same problems we had last year while doing the things we already did well, a little better.

rude1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on September 01, 2014, 02:01:42 pm
Auburn did not bench their starting QB for a half last year either. So maybe just comparing scores at a point in each game isn't a good barometer either on what actually happened.

Muskliketusk

Bull corn, jack. We was right in it to the half. They just had a few more horses. They'll get there's at JRRS next year when we ain't paying for Bobby and smilies mistakes. WPS  :razorback:
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: rude1 on September 01, 2014, 04:12:46 pm
Auburn did not bench their starting QB for a half last year either. So maybe just comparing scores at a point in each game isn't a good barometer either on what actually happened.

Johnson would start for most of the SEC teams in the conference. Gus ran two different strategies. With Johnson having the better arm he tested are back 7 and won. Once we got slightly better at defending that, in comes Marshall at the half running the read option. 
  Last year, Arkansas made the game seem respectable late after falling way behind. Yesterday Arkansas fell behind late after competing well for 65% of the game. I'll take being competitive over scoring some garbage points any-day of the week.

hawgbawb

Whatever happens in the 4th quarter with one team up by two possessions-plus is discounted.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

Biggus Piggus

No. We did not play Auburn better last year. We fell behind big before halfway getting our darn together. For half of this game, the Hogs ran through nine-man fronts like they were air. It was good.

Our run defense was more effective last season, with a bigger and more experienced defensive line. The pass defense was about the same.
[CENSORED]!

hogfan14

Auburn ran about 3 plays against us last year. This year they opened it up a lot more. Plus they added another 1st round pick at WR. Cant really compare the two.

bphi11ips

Arkansas is a much better team this year. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

GTOWNHOG

Do you think that playing Auburn on AUGUST 30, Game ONE, AWAY,  SEC Conference game,  had anything to do with it??  We had played EIGHT games including conference games against A&M, South Carolina, Florida, and Alabama BEFORE we played Auburn last year.  Not a valid comparision at all.... :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

footballfan2

I disagree. For the first half this game was much more competitive than last year. Couple that with Auburn was so vanilla last year. Had Auburn ran their whole offense last year, that score could've gone over 50 real quick.  Auburn's offense is much more dynamic with their passing game this year.

RazorBassin

To anyone saying that the reason it was close in the first half was because of their 2nd string QB playing is just outright wrong.  I hate to say it, but their 2nd string QB is going to be better than Marshall and may already be.  He will be hard to scheme for in the future for sure.

DeltaBoy

We played them heads up for a half this year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Deep Shoat

Hey guys, all I looked at is the score, ignoring the first half and the fact that we were on the road, and the fact that Arkansas was never actually in the game last year, and I don't understand how we are better considering we played them better last year.

Can you help me?
All Gas, No Brakes!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on September 02, 2014, 08:32:42 am
Hey guys, all I looked at is the score, ignoring the first half and the fact that we were on the road, and the fact that Arkansas was never actually in the game last year, and I don't understand how we are better considering we played them better last year.

Can you help me?
It's gonna be tough...   ;)

Deep Shoat

Quote from: popcornhog on September 01, 2014, 03:51:28 pm
Very good point - Completely forgot about them rocking Clemson (I didn't watch much of it). I like them to win the East.

Just based on this weekend:

1) A&M
2) AU/UGA
4) LSU
TAMU isn't #1.  They gave up 28 easy points to a bad offense right down the middle.  They have the same issues we do, defensively.  I doubt they win more than 8 games.
All Gas, No Brakes!

MCheisman

Auburn is way better. Not a fair comparison at all.

The_Iceman

One thing that was clear to me this weekend:

SEC >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Every other conference.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HyperDrive on September 01, 2014, 01:47:20 pm

I agree with this.. I work with a myriad of SEC fans. After the "10 in a row" jokes they all said we looked way better this year and to a man they said it looked like we wore out. I believe depth is still an issue and will become less of one in the near future if we continue to recruit like we have been..
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 01, 2014, 12:07:24 pm

Funny...immediately after the game there were several posts here on Hogville saying that Auburn not as good as last year. They had not had time to think about how the game with them went last season. As I've said each time another fan says we will improve, so will all the other SEC teams, at least the top half dozen or so. I think we can see that Auburn is every bit as good as last year, and likely better. Heck, they have 2 QB's who are a level or two better that our starter.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.