Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BA is Good Enough

Started by WilsonHog, September 01, 2014, 11:03:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

What is considered a good quarterback rating?

JayBell

It's hilarious that people compare Allen to Wilson and Mallett and then ignore the difference in receivers.

Just think of it this way, if you think something Allen did could have been improved by having Adams, Wright, Childs and Hamilton on the field, then it's probably not something you should be blaming him for.

LAHogfan123

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 01, 2014, 12:09:16 pm
A 6-6 record will get Bielema SEC coach of the year honors?

Good lord, what are you people drinking

I said consideration, people, like Coaches, know that this year for Arkansas is still a total rebuilding process, that's why we're picked last.  Winning 6 games would be a huge accomplishment, no other Coach and staff could do better with what they have so far.  Every hog fan that knows football or has played should be able to look at this team and still see the huge holes on defense, back 7 still needs work badly, still need receivers, big time ones,  and depth most everywhere.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 01, 2014, 12:39:03 pm
You think BA is elite?  Like top ten in the nation?  Even his best supporters wouldn't say that.

NOBODY has tried to say he is top ten in the nation.  YOu seem to want to make your agenda driven assanine comments justified by that?! 

Just because Arkansas does not have a top 10 QB in the nation does not mean we have the worse guy! 

Some of you are so narrow minded and inept at viewing a complete picture/package it's unreal.  The kid threw some great passes, made some good reads, put the ball on receivers enough to have a 75% completion percentage. 

Anyone who puts ANY blame on Brandon Allen for saturdays game is just outright ignorant. 

blu

BA is good enough - he definitely played well enough for his team to have won Saturday.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

ChitownHawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 01, 2014, 12:50:00 pm
NOBODY has tried to say he is top ten in the nation.  YOu seem to want to make your agenda driven assanine comments justified by that?! 

Just because Arkansas does not have a top 10 QB in the nation does not mean we have the worse guy! 

Some of you are so narrow minded and inept at viewing a complete picture/package it's unreal.  The kid threw some great passes, made some good reads, put the ball on receivers enough to have a 75% completion percentage. 

Anyone who puts ANY blame on Brandon Allen for saturdays game is just outright ignorant.

+1. You are kind of like having a pitbull in the backyard.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Hogwild

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 01, 2014, 12:47:22 pm
What is considered a good quarterback rating?

I don't know how they score them now, but the ESPN box score QBR had both Auburn QBs over 90 and BA was at 42.2

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=400548398

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 01, 2014, 12:34:14 pm
Those pointing at Brandon Allen as "not good enough for us to win with" either don't know football or have an agenda.  He was a BRIGHT SPOT from Saturday.  He can only do so much.

He was the bright spot when he chucked the ball 40 yards in the air while being hit at a crucial point in the game?

He wont WIN you ball games, he might not always lose them for you, but he will never carry the team.

In order to compete, we need a game changer.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 01, 2014, 01:00:51 pm

+1. You are kind of like having a pitbull in the backyard.  ;D

I just can not fathom how, with all there is to pick apart, someone wants to pick apart Brandon Allen's performance against Auburn. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 01, 2014, 01:01:58 pm
He was the bright spot when he chucked the ball 40 yards in the air while being hit at a crucial point in the game?

He wont WIN you ball games, he might not always lose them for you, but he will never carry the team.

In order to compete, we need a game changer.

I'd HATE to have your life.  It's got to be miserable. 

The kid hit hatcher on a completely perfectly timed beautiful thrown ball as good as any QB could have in the last 10 years.  The ball was dropped.  The kid put the ball on wilsons numbers, henry's paws, and so many more.  Yet you want to drive home that he isn't good enough. 

Please tell me what Mallett, Manziel, Winston, Shaw, Andrew Luck, Robert griffin, Mariotti, etc could have done?  A QB can not win a game without wide receivers to catch when he puts it on the spot.  It's that plane and simple.  Did allen throw a pick six?  Yes!  But if you blame him all for that you are ignorant.  The play was exactly what it was, there was no read or progression in that play after the ball is snapped.  Once the D lined up that play was a good, maybe even a check with that receiver on a go route, Allen was going to play action to get the safety to hold, putting the WR a step or two ahead, allen was to turn and chunk.  He turned and had a DE under his Arm.  Blame the TE and LT for not chipping more of that rusher. 

COME ON GUYS, GET REAL! 

blu

"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

ChitownHawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 01, 2014, 01:02:53 pm
I just can not fathom how, with all there is to pick apart, someone wants to pick apart Brandon Allen's performance against Auburn.

They have hated him from the beginning. But deep down the root cause of their hate is CBP is gone. BA is the step child left behind that reminds them there was another man here before them.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 01, 2014, 01:03:16 pm
I'll put you in the don't know football group.

Put me in the, I have watched Brandon Allen for years now from HS on up and I dont think he is a great QB group.

He is in place until we can find someone better, and if that is hard to do then we are screwed anyway.

The Hogfather

The play where Allen threw the pick 6 (I hate to even put any of the blame on him) was actually drawn up perfectly and there was a WR open.  I think maybe Henry's foot got stepped on by one of our offensive linemen, causing him to fall backwards and allowed their LB a free shot on Allen right as he was letting the ball go.  Anyone blaming Allen for the pick 6 os a blathering idiot.  Period.

CallThemHawgs!

I saw him staring down receivers, there were no check downs, its the same stuff.

In all honesty, it might be on Chaney. Who knows. I dont have the time or interest in dissecting it. And it does not deserve to be dissected.

Hopefully we win a few games this year, who knows.

Oh and to those of you who suggest it would be no different with Manziel, RG3, etc. Lol, get real. Those guys make plays, and carry their team. They find a way to win. End of story.

Something I have never seen BA even begin to contemplate.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 01, 2014, 01:15:57 pm
The play where Allen threw the pick 6 (I hate to even put any of the blame on him) was actually drawn up perfectly and there was a WR open.  I think maybe Henry's foot got stepped on by one of our offensive linemen, causing him to fall backwards and allowed their LB a free shot on Allen right as he was letting the ball go.  Anyone blaming Allen for the pick 6 os a blathering idiot.  Period.

So you dont just take the sack, or try and elude the pressure? You just chuck it up with a dude 3 inches from your facemask?

Ok, call me a blathering idiot.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 01, 2014, 01:19:18 pm
I already put you in the don't know football group and you can't get out until you prove otherwise.  Did you watch him in high school not throw an interception in his entire senior regular season?  Have you ever heard of another time when that has happened?  Please provide examples.

Sure, I imagine it has happened. Quite impressive none the less. So he can throw deep balls to tall receivers against little white kids in AR 7a ball.

Great, he sure did learn how to throw picks fast once he moved up to real competition.

onebadrubi

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 01, 2014, 01:16:54 pm
I saw him staring down receivers, there were no check downs, its the same stuff.

In all honesty, it might be on Chaney. Who knows. I dont have the time or interest in dissecting it. And it does not deserve to be dissected.

Hopefully we win a few games this year, who knows.

Oh and to those of you who suggest it would be no different with Manziel, RG3, etc. Lol, get real. Those guys make plays, and carry their team. They find a way to win. End of story.

Something I have never seen BA even begin to contemplate.

I noted multiple times he would look a safety off.  I remember watching him eyeballing the boundry or field side, then immediately look the other and throw, examply Wilson's back shoulder pass.  So you are wrong and your agenda will not let you admit it.  He did a very good job of NOT staring down receivers. 

Also, Manziel needed the big WR to move the ball more than people realize, actually they are realizing it now. 

Again, the fact you blame that pick six play on Brandon proves you are Football Illiterate.  The only thing Brandon could have done different on that play was check out of it before the snap. 

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 01, 2014, 01:27:00 pm
I noted multiple times he would look a safety off.  I remember watching him eyeballing the boundry or field side, then immediately look the other and throw, examply Wilson's back shoulder pass.  So you are wrong and your agenda will not let you admit it.  He did a very good job of NOT staring down receivers. 

Also, Manziel needed the big WR to move the ball more than people realize, actually they are realizing it now. 

Again, the fact you blame that pick six play on Brandon proves you are Football Illiterate.  The only thing Brandon could have done different on that play was check out of it before the snap. 

Or, not throw it because there was a guy about to destroy him? How many times does the chuck it up while getting hit thing work out? >4%

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 01, 2014, 01:26:10 pm
You, sir, are a blathering idiot.

You are looking in the wrong place to try and find weaknesses.  QB is not a weakness of this team.

You are correct. What was his QB rating on Sat? Just out of curiosity.

He is a field general that BA, always on top of the game. Looks like Manning out there.

Fayettechill14

A Jarius Wright would be much more effective in he slot IF we already had a Monk at split end. So I'd take a monk now and gamble on Hatcher, JoJo, or Cornelius to develop into that slot man.

onebadrubi

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 01, 2014, 01:29:41 pm
Or, not throw it because there was a guy about to destroy him? How many times does the chuck it up while getting hit thing work out? >4%

You are correct. What was his QB rating on Sat? Just out of curiosity.

We've mentioned it multiple times!!!!  His receivers dropped over 5 balls that were in the middle of their hands.  You add in the late drive, pouring rain drops, then he is all of a sudden over 75% and over 250 yards.  Talk about game changer.  When your QB is drilling WR in the hands and they can't catch, your QB can't receive that blame

elksnort

I will admit that I was wrong. I was looking at BA as being the key to the season. As it appeared Saturday, he's doing his job pretty well. Like some others are saying, if we have some better receiver talent on the team, then play them. Enough of the "experience" card. Just tell Jo Jo or whomever, "Hey, go run an out and up, or go run a fly" etc.

Before I start, I would have fired Petrino too.  That said, I remember when his big 4 WRs from the first draft were dropping passes left and right.  Mostly because they were young, inexperienced and not ready for prime time.  Some because Mallett was knocking their pads off with bullets from 15 yards away.

It takes time and multiple efforts to get WRs catching and running after the catch.  Petrino was able to teach that somehow.  If a WR dropped a wide open 20 yard gain on first down, he would likely find himself trying again on the very next play except from the other side of the field.  Those WRs were thrown too fast and often and they learned to do their job.  Our current offense doesn't do that.  We also found a way to vastly limit the pick 6 as both Mallett and Wilson had very decent pick to completion ratios.  This offense doesn't do that.  It seems like when we do suffer an interception, its in a great position to be taken back all the way.  I would guess it is a big lift for a WR to screw up and then on the very next play, actually make the play and move the chains.  We are able to do that with our RBs, but not our WRs.  I doubt that Petrino had an O-line as good as our current one during his 4 years here yet he was able to install a very good offense behind what he had.  Its a difference of scheme for the most part.

Is BA good enough?  I really don't know.  One game does not make a season or a hero.  Time will tell.  I don't believe he'll get those dozens of reps daily to train the passing game to b just as effective as the running game.  And we won't be playing Auburn every game all season long.

razorbackfanatic

I was surprised at Demetrius Wilson's speed. Go back and watch his burst off the line. He has legit break away speed. We need to run a few more go routes and some fades to the bigger guys like 6'4" 205 Cody Hollister and even line Henry, Derby and Sprinkle out wide and run some fade with them. Just a few 50/50 balls a few times a game, that will help keep the defense honest and not on top of the line of scrimmage. I also wrote a week or two ago that id like to see Eric Hawkins with his elite speed play some and help stretch the defense and bring Korliss Marshall from the slot in motion on the jet sweep and fake it to him right and have Hawkins or Wilson stretch the field left and have all kinds of miss matches with HH and AD in the middle of Hawkins isn't open deep. Gotta give the defense a little bit more wrinkles to worry about.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 01, 2014, 01:30:58 pm
A Jarius Wright would be much more effective in he slot IF we already had a Monk at split end. So I'd take a monk now and gamble on Hatcher, JoJo, or Cornelius to develop into that slot man.
No offense but Childs, please.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 01, 2014, 01:31:52 pm
We've mentioned it multiple times!!!!  His receivers dropped over 5 balls that were in the middle of their hands.  You add in the late drive, pouring rain drops, then he is all of a sudden over 75% and over 250 yards.  Talk about game changer.  When your QB is drilling WR in the hands and they can't catch, your QB can't receive that blame

Over 5 balls? So was it 5, or 18?

So as it stands in the record books he was 18-31 for 175 with 2 tds and 1 int

Nice job, not awful, not good

Like I came into this thread saying, he is not good enough to get this team to an elite level.

Although we do have many other things to worry about along with this. QB is one part of the puzzle.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 01, 2014, 01:34:14 pm
No offense but Childs, please.

Yeah, Greg Childs at split end is a great example. A dangerous perimeter receiver helped Wright work the middle of the field.

Cresthog

We have what we have.

D2 talent running routes for us and an offensive coordinator/QB coach that continues to prove he needs to find another job.

Also appears we have another clueless DC. What is it now? 8 in 4 years? College defense isn't rocket science. Shocking how much we pay these idiots and how little preparation they show with weeks and weeks to plan.

Every one of our coaches has that "derp derp derp" look to them. Its so tiresome I can barely follow the team anymore. Bring on basketball season where at least the millionares are competent.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 01, 2014, 12:23:14 pm
Until we improve on the edges, if I was a DC I wouldn't care if Ryan Mallett was the quarterback.

Other than the drive where he hit Derby with the TD, and that was a masterful drive, he still has his mind made up before the ball is snapped....

PRJ

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on September 01, 2014, 01:41:31 pm
Other than the drive where he hit Derby with the TD, and that was a masterful drive, he still has his mind made up before the ball is snapped....

PRJ

Thank you, I saw it multiple times Saturday. There was one guy, and only one guy that ball was going to.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Cresthog on September 01, 2014, 01:41:14 pm
We have what we have.

D2 talent running routes for us and an offensive coordinator/QB coach that continues to prove he needs to find another job.

Also appears we have another clueless DC. What is it now? 8 in 4 years? College defense isn't rocket science. Shocking how much we pay these idiots and how little preparation they show with weeks and weeks to plan.

Every one of our coaches has that "derp derp derp" look to them. Its so tiresome I can barely follow the team anymore. Bring on basketball season where at least the millionares are competent.

Crest, you and I find ourselves at odds on a regular basis. However, this time I could not agree with you more.

Kevin

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 01, 2014, 11:59:31 am
I'm with Dwight.  Play the young, talented players.  I'm over the "experience" card.  I want talent playing.  It literally can't be worse at some positions (safety and wideout).

Count me in with this also
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Kevin

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on September 01, 2014, 01:41:31 pm

PRJ

Do you think he is told to do this.  One look, then get rid of it?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

GuvHog

To be truthful, I only saw 1 pass Brandon Threw that was bad. He look comfortable, Poised, Confident, and in control. He'll be fine.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Fatty McGee

What we need this year is Matt Jones.  His scrambles singlehandedly extended Nutt's pedestrian offense and tenure here by 4 years, just think what he could do for Bielema!
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Dirty

Quote from: Pig In The City on September 01, 2014, 12:26:55 pm
Enough about two dropped passes! If you can't overcome two dropped passes in an entire football game, something is wrong. We are still very young and learning on the fly. Because we are young and thin in depth , it makes it more critical for our offense to find a method to win. We just ain't there yet folks but we didn't expect them to be either... at least realistically.

What if one dropped pass is in the end zone with no time left on the clock?  Would it matter then?

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 01, 2014, 01:26:10 pm
You, sir, are a blathering idiot.

You are looking in the wrong place to try and find weaknesses.  QB is not a weakness of this team.

Wrong Answer Again Hogfather, No One Posting On Here are Idiots. While I Agree That QB Position is Not the Issue. The Razorback WRs and Razorback DBs were Very Much the Issue. But Fans Have Issues They See and Hogville is an Appropriate Place for Fans to Complain About These Issues.

lefty08

Quote from: Pig In The City on September 01, 2014, 12:05:07 pm
My only issue with BA is his inability to create plays when he needs to do so. When our starter gets outplayed by their second string QB, we have a problem.  Thing is he does not have to do much but move the chains on 3rd and 5-8. That percentage is critical this year for success. Let's face it , our defense is paper thin. If we win many games it will be only because of our offense.

You are correct, and it has nothing to do with our own starting QB
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

bphi11ips

Brandon is okay as long as he doesn't have to carry the load.  If he can set his feet he can get the ball to receivers with a little separation.  That's what play action is for.

Auburn made one defensive adjustment in the second half - they made Arkansas beat them through the air.  Arkansas's inability to do that isn't all Brandon's fault.  He doesn't have the thoroughbreds, nor did he have the scheme ready, to do it. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: HogGoneWild on September 01, 2014, 11:19:26 am
He's good enough to lead this team to a 6-6 record

Were you thinking that when he threw up a lame duck, knowing he was
about to get hit? He may be the best we've got, but one thing he certainly
damn well ain't mister.....is GOOD enough.

Phil D

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on September 01, 2014, 03:13:54 pm
Were you thinking that when he threw up a lame duck, knowing he was
about to get hit? He may be the best we've got, but one thing he certainly
damn well ain't mister.....is GOOD enough.
he didn't put up a lame duck he was hit as the ball was released, not the same thing.
GO HOGS!!!!!!

The Hogfather

Quote from: Phil D on September 01, 2014, 03:15:19 pm
he didn't put up a lame duck he was hit as the ball was released, not the same thing.

Unbelievable, isn't it?

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: Kevin on September 01, 2014, 02:19:49 pm

If he is being told that, we have a coaching problem.

PRJ

Kevin

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on September 01, 2014, 03:27:27 pm
If he is being told that, we have a coaching problem.

PRJ

That seems to be the case to me. 

Lake City Hog

Now we are back to the old D2 talent level excuse!

LAHogfan123

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 01, 2014, 01:02:53 pm

Those who want toick apart the game BA had are the ones who have and agenda and will never be satisfied with Allen, or CBB.  They want them to fail, the sooner, the better.  I can't abide these types is so-called fans, you don't like it here, move along.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Kevin on September 01, 2014, 02:19:49 pm

Nope that wasn't happening. If it were then several of his scrambles would not have happened. The couple of times he chucked the ball into the stands was when he was buying time with his feet, but the WRs were not open.

Sometimes the best throw at that moment is in the stands.

Kevin

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 01, 2014, 03:52:10 pm
Nope that wasn't happening. If it were then several of his scrambles would not have happened. The couple of times he chucked the ball into the stands was when he was buying time with his feet, but the WRs were not open.

Sometimes the best throw at that moment is in the stands.

Hopefully, jojo & Cornelius will be in the game plan going forward.   Need speed on the field.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Kevin on September 01, 2014, 03:55:32 pm
Hopefully, jojo & Cornelius will be in the game plan going forward.   Need speed on the field.

Now I am with ya. You see we chat long enough and we find common ground. I do think they will play this Saturday and for once I would like to see us have a freshman phenom.  :D

Kevin

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 01, 2014, 04:01:48 pm
Now I am with ya. You see we chat long enough and we find common ground. I do think they will play this Saturday and for once I would like to see us have a freshman phenom.  :D

I don't have a problem if we find nothing in common, as long as, we discuss things, and not get into a pissing contest. 

Just because I disagree with you on defense, does not mean I disrespect your opinion.

But, I am glad we see eye to eye on this