Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Worse than last year?

Started by GlassofSwine, September 01, 2014, 09:51:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GlassofSwine

September 01, 2014, 09:51:29 am Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:01:49 am by GlassofSwine
 I don't think so. Everyone looking at the scoreboard and the final score has a short memory of the game last year.

Last year, we were down 28-3 with 7:30 minutes left to play in the 3rd quarter. After it was 35-17 with 10 minutes left in the 4th, Auburn went to running the clock down. Running 10 plays in approx 4:30 minutes of possession. Not exactly, a fast pace. This of course was also a home game, a point that should not be lost on anyone.

Saturday we were down 7 points on the road until the interception with 2:39 left in the 3rd quarter. We obviously did not play well in the 2nd half. Offensively we struggled the entire 2nd half, not capitalizing on the fumble recovery was big and so was the interception.
  Other points, defensively Johnson torched us in the air and we gave up big plays but despite that still fought back to tie the game going into halftime. In the 2nd half Nick Marshall and Auburn only passed for 50 yards. I have to think that the change of pace Auburn did going from a pass first offense in the 1st half to a run first offense in the 2nd half was not easy to adjust to as a player.

I think this team still has a lot to show and I believe the season still holds some really good games for Arkansas.

Pig Worshipper

Agreed.
I can't remember the yardage, but roughly this same Auburn offense ran all over Alabama's vaunted defense last year. Yes, they torched our defense but people need to remember that, outside of Texas A&M, we won't face another offense quite as good. We have to watch out for Georgia's excellent running game as well, but, mostly things will get much better on defense as the year progresses.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on September 01, 2014, 10:01:55 am
Agreed.
I can't remember the yardage, but roughly this same Auburn offense ran all over Alabama's vaunted defense last year. Yes, they torched our defense but people need to remember that, outside of Texas A&M, we won't face another offense quite as good. We have to watch out for Georgia's excellent running game as well, but, mostly things will get much better on defense as the year progresses.

I don't think there is another offense on the schedule who can play two disparate styles as well as Auburn. That is really tough to defend.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: GlassofSwine on September 01, 2014, 10:05:08 am
  I don't think there is another offense on the schedule who can play two disparate styles as well as Auburn. That is really tough to defend.

Yes, it really worked to our disadvantage, after playing the pass-happy 2nd string quarterback offense to have to switch gears to Nick Marshall.
Grudgingly, you have to hand it to Gus and Auburn. They really knocked us for a loop.

farmhawg

No, but our game management is the same.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

jkstock04

Many on this board are convinced we almost had Auburn beat in 2013.

Personally I think everything considered (much like the OP says) we played them better this go around.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas will improve through the season as it is able to replace the pluggers in the lineup.
[CENSORED]!

b-ball coach

Nationally the perception is not good. I personally think we are improved.

[attachment deleted by admin]

HiggiePiggy

Defense still looks bad.  Receivers still look bad.  Game adjustments still look bad.  QB, OL, RBs look better.   

If we can find some real men at receiver, ones that aren't afraid of a ball we might get even better offensively. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

picksleaguehog

Quote from: b-ball coach on September 01, 2014, 10:19:12 am

This Arkansas team is likely as good as most of his Wisconsin teams.

The problem is - our next five games can't be:

Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue and Northwestern -

GlassofSwine

Quote from: b-ball coach on September 01, 2014, 10:19:12 am

Depends on who does the talking, we got some good props on the SEC Network despite the loss. Besides that national perception isn't very important, it has no bearing on how we play in games.

jlhogfan

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on September 01, 2014, 10:23:36 am
Defense still looks bad.  Receivers still look bad.  Game adjustments still look bad.  QB, OL, RBs look better.   

If we can find some real men at receiver, ones that aren't afraid of a ball we might get even better offensively. 

Why are most posters giving the OL/RB's a "pass" for the game?  Just because of the first half?  Everybody is bashing the defense, maybe rightfully so; we knew our secondary would struggle.  The offense is more concerning

GlassofSwine

Quote from: jlhogfan on September 01, 2014, 10:30:06 am
Why are most posters giving the OL/RB's a "pass" for the game?  Just because of the first half?  Everybody is bashing the defense, maybe rightfully so; we knew our secondary would struggle.  The offense is more concerning

The RB's did not play badly at all, we only rushed 5 times in 2nd half. The running game falling apart has a lot more to do with the play-calling than anything else.

jlhogfan

Quote from: GlassofSwine on September 01, 2014, 10:37:14 am
  The RB's did not play badly at all, we only rushed 5 times in 2nd half. The running game falling apart has a lot more to do with the play-calling than anything else.

Correct, I got caught up in the total yardage stat; didn't really look at the individual stats.  RB's played well.

hawg IQ

That's the big mystery, why 5 rushing plays. Even down 14, you mount a drive with what you do best.  Another issue was why no field goal attempt from 32  yard line ?
go hogs go !

HiggiePiggy

Exactly and that is why I have game management/adjustments up there as bad.  We didn't even give it a chance in the second half. 

elviscat

JL, hired the wrong coach. If only Gus had been the hired we would be winning games and have a great coach in charge.

Fatty McGee

Or, possibly, the defense of the #6 team in the nation. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hawg IQ on September 01, 2014, 10:43:14 am
That's the big mystery, why 5 rushing plays. Even down 14, you mount a drive with what you do best.  Another issue was why no field goal attempt from 32  yard line ?

I agree with the field-goal attempt or trying to go for it on 4th in that situation. The punt was executed well but after the forced fumble scoring some points could have built some momentum. 

Dirty

Quote from: Fatty McGee on September 01, 2014, 10:48:28 am

Get over it!

picksleaguehog

Quote from: elviscat on September 01, 2014, 10:46:00 am
JL, hired the wrong coach. If only Gus had been the hired we would be winning games and have a great coach in charge.
[/quote

A Freaking Men

I'll still root for the hogs - but it didn't take a brain surgeon to see what Auburn saw.

I wonder what school can claim to have such brilliant AD's they can claim they:

passed on Jimmy Johnson to hire Ken Hatfield
passed on Gus Malzahn to hire Brett the Indiana-Minnesota-Illionois killer Bielema

If there is another fan based more tortured by incompetent AD decisions I would like to know

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Fatty McGee on September 01, 2014, 10:48:28 am

I might agree if we hadn't opened gaping holes in the 1st half. Yes, they made adjustments to the trap play but still we have more than one running play in the arsenal. They still had the same players on the field.
  I'm not mad that we tried to pass the ball the way they stacked the box either. I believe we were 8-15 with 1 INT in the 2nd half, or something close to that. The problem is most of those passes were for 3 or 4 yards. If we want them to stop stacking the box we need to be hitting the 10+ yard passes.

TDHawgs

Quote from: picksleaguehog on September 01, 2014, 10:49:47 am

A Freaking Men

I'll still root for the hogs - but it didn't take a brain surgeon to see what Auburn saw.

passed on Gus Malzahn to hire Brett the Indiana-Minnesota-Illionois killer Bielema

If there is another fan based more tortured by incompetent AD decisions I would like to know

Don't forget that Bear Bryant wanted to coach Arkansas but was never offered.

GlassofSwine

Gus has nothing to do with this Arkansas Razorback team. Holding a grudge because he isn't coach is about the biggest waste of energy on the planet. You guys need to stop daydreaming about Jimmy Johnson, Gus Malhzahn and Jon Gruden and come back to reality.

secfan30

Quote from: TDHawgs on September 01, 2014, 10:56:35 am
A Freaking Men

Don't forget that Bear Bryant wanted to coach Arkansas but was never offered.

Thought he took the job or it was his to turn down then Japan bombed Pearl Harbor.

hogsanity

Very few underclassmen doing much. When most of the load has to be carried by Sophomores it is going to be ugly sometimes.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

3kgthog

Having watched all of our remaining SEC opponents, there's over a 50% chance we'll go winless in the SEC again. That would be met unfavorably at any other school, but the BB homers here will say it just takes patience.

If it takes over 2 years to win a conference game, how many will it take him to win 2 SEC games? The best teams in the league are only getting better and their coaches aren't going anywhere soon unless a sudden death strikes them down.

This system and this coach do not provide us a tactical edge to help minimize talent gaps. We will never recruit at the level of Bama, LSU, A&M, AU, and probably even Ole Miss. We don't pay enough and we also don't have the wins to do so. We might be able to just keep up and stay within 3 scores of the West's best, but is just keeping up what we're paying this staff so much money for? I don't think so.

Hogdomer

Quote from: GlassofSwine on September 01, 2014, 09:51:29 am
I don't think so. Everyone looking at the scoreboard and the final score has a short memory of the game last year.

Last year, we were down 28-3 with 7:30 minutes left to play in the 3rd quarter. After it was 35-17 with 10 minutes left in the 4th, Auburn went to running the clock down. Running 10 plays in approx 4:30 minutes of possession. Not exactly, a fast pace. This of course was also a home game, a point that should not be lost on anyone.

Saturday we were down 7 points on the road until the interception with 2:39 left in the 3rd quarter. We obviously did not play well in the 2nd half. Offensively we struggled the entire 2nd half, not capitalizing on the fumble recovery was big and so was the interception.
  Other points, defensively Johnson torched us in the air and we gave up big plays but despite that still fought back to tie the game going into halftime. In the 2nd half Nick Marshall and Auburn only passed for 50 yards. I have to think that the change of pace Auburn did going from a pass first offense in the 1st half to a run first offense in the 2nd half was not easy to adjust to as a player.

I think this team still has a lot to show and I believe the season still holds some really good games for Arkansas.

We were never down 28-3 last year. 

GlassofSwine

Quote from: 3kgthog on September 01, 2014, 11:29:52 am
Having watched all of our remaining SEC opponents, there's over a 50% chance we'll go winless in the SEC again. That would be met unfavorably at any other school, but the BB homers here will say it just takes patience.

If it takes over 2 years to win a conference game, how many will it take him to win 2 SEC games? The best teams in the league are only getting better and their coaches aren't going anywhere soon unless a sudden death strikes them down.

This system and this coach do not provide us a tactical edge to help minimize talent gaps. We will never recruit at the level of Bama, LSU, A&M, AU, and probably even Ole Miss. We don't pay enough and we also don't have the wins to do so. We might be able to just keep up and stay within 3 scores of the West's best, but is just keeping up what we're paying this staff so much money for? I don't think so.

Are they? Did you watch LSU struggle with a mediocre Wisconsin team. A Wisconsin team that had a starting safety from last year playing QB?

OR Bama which was given all they wanted by West Virgina? A West Virgina team that won 4 games last year.

HiggiePiggy

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Hogdomer on September 01, 2014, 11:48:17 am

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=333060008

Why don't you check out that boxscore on the right hand side with 6:39 left in the 3rd quarter.

FootballFanatic89

Quote from: GlassofSwine on September 01, 2014, 11:55:46 am

Are they? Did you watch LSU struggle with a mediocre Wisconsin team. A Wisconsin team that had a starting safety from last year playing QB?

OR Bama which was given all they wanted by West Virgina? A West Virgina team that won 4 games last year.

To be fair, Wisconsin is not mediocre. They just aren't. They had a good game plan, but LSU talent just overwhelmed. LSU is also starting a new qb and a bunch of new receivers. They have a lot of new faces.

Bama also is starting a new qb and it is no secret that HUNH is a thorn in Saban's rear end. I believe WVU will be going bowling this year. Trickett second year in the system and last year they were fairly young.

HawgFan70

Quote from: GlassofSwine on September 01, 2014, 11:55:46 am

You are shocked the HUNH gave Alabama trouble? When Alabama struggles it is usually against the HUNH that is why we go out and hire a ground and pound 1980's offense guy. LSU is young and have new starters all over the field yet the coaching staff made the adjustments needed to win
being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

GlassofSwine

Quote from: FootballFanatic89 on September 01, 2014, 12:00:58 pm
To be fair, Wisconsin is not mediocre. They just aren't. They had a good game plan, but LSU talent just overwhelmed. LSU is also starting a new qb and a bunch of new receivers. They have a lot of new faces.

Bama also is starting a new qb and it is no secret that HUNH is a thorn in Saban's rear end. I believe WVU will be going bowling this year. Trickett second year in the system and last year they were fairly young.

Wisconsin is mediocre, they will be probably Top 10 team come the end of the year and have a real shot to be 11-1 going into the Big10 championship. The only team on their schedule ranked in the Top 30 to start their season was LSU. Wisconsin lost it's Top 4 LB's and 4 of it's Top Dlineman and still beat up LSU until 2 of their starters on the Dline were injured. That LSU offense playing against a inexperienced defense looked bad.
  As for Wisconsin's QB he was 8-24 for 50 yards with 2 Int's. Despite being completely one dimensional they were leading well into the 4th quarter.  I know people will say but they were playing LSU. If you watched the game you saw a QB who couldn't make the throws.

HiggiePiggy

Isn't Nebraska ranked in the top 30?   Even then their schedule overall is a joke when you compare it to the other big conferences. 

FootballFanatic89

Quote from: GlassofSwine on September 01, 2014, 01:37:20 pm
  Wisconsin is mediocre, they will be probably Top 10 team come the end of the year and have a real shot to be 11-1 going into the Big10 championship. The only team on their schedule ranked in the Top 30 to start their season was LSU. Wisconsin lost it's Top 4 LB's and 4 of it's Top Dlineman and still beat up LSU until 2 of their starters on the Dline were injured. That LSU offense playing against a inexperienced defense looked bad.
  As for Wisconsin's QB he was 8-24 for 50 yards with 2 Int's. Despite being completely one dimensional they were leading well into the 4th quarter.  I know people will say but they were playing LSU. If you watched the game you saw a QB who couldn't make the throws.

I disagree but there is no point in expounding. To each their own.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: HawgFan70 on September 01, 2014, 12:26:34 pm

You are shocked the HUNH gave Alabama trouble? When Alabama struggles it is usually against the HUNH that is why we go out and hire a ground and pound 1980's offense guy. LSU is young and have new starters all over the field yet the coaching staff made the adjustments needed to win

I never said I was "Shocked". I did watch some of the game though. Alabama had no pass rush and they were getting flat out beat in the defensive backfield. Now to take it further. Alabama's run defense was stout holding them to 28 yards on 24 carries. Knowing that West Virgina couldn't beat them with the run they still couldn't stop them from passing for 365 yards.
  Now the argument is that Alabama is improving? Blake Sims was in no way better than A.J. Mcarron and thier pass defense gave up 365 yards. Now tell me how  they are better than last year?

GlassofSwine

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on September 01, 2014, 01:40:31 pm
Isn't Nebraska ranked in the top 30?   Even then their schedule overall is a joke when you compare it to the other big conferences.

They might be by the time they play them. Another way to look at it is by SOS Wisconsin is 87th out of 128 schools going into the season.

HiggiePiggy

Yeah their conference is a joke and their schedule is even worse.  They don't face any of the top teams in the big 10. 

I mean seriously.  What the heck kind of schedule is this for a team that is suppose to be in a big time conference? 

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-14/big-ten/2014-wisconsin-badgers-football-schedule.php

Arkie4life

Could it just be that Auburn is even better this year than last? Just imagine, if Gus takes the barn back to the big game at the end!?!? MMQB will make for some good drama & entertainment.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on September 01, 2014, 10:09:23 am
Yes, it really worked to our disadvantage, after playing the pass-happy 2nd string quarterback offense to have to switch gears to Nick Marshall.
Grudgingly, you have to hand it to Gus and Auburn. They really knocked us for a loop.

And they are good at messing around with stuff like clocks and elevators...

The Boar War

Quote from: Arkie4life on September 01, 2014, 02:16:46 pm
Could it just be that Auburn is even better this year than last? Just imagine, if Gus takes the barn back to the big game at the end!?!? MMQB will make for some good drama & entertainment.

Why wait till January?  This place will be full drama tonight around 7.  Could meltdown around 11.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: The Boar War on September 01, 2014, 04:19:34 pm
Why wait till January?  This place will be full drama tonight around 7.  Could meltdown around 11.

This is true, I expect Petrino and Lousiville to tear Miami apart tonight. That will bring out the Petrino crowd in full force to go along with the Gus crowd.

Danny J

Quote from: The Boar War on September 01, 2014, 04:19:34 pm
Yep....a highlight packed game of passing the ball around the yard and beatdown on Miami will really liven things up.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: GlassofSwine on September 01, 2014, 04:23:32 pm
  This is true, I expect Petrino and Lousiville to tear Miami apart tonight. That will bring out the Petrino crowd in full force to go along with the Gus crowd.

Actually I doubt that.  Usually the people against Petrino are the ones that start threads about him.  I'm sure at some point someone that hates Petrino will start a thread because they like drama. 

budcampbellfan

I suspect JL got some bad advice on Gus.  Long is not familiar with Arkansas, has no connections.  Power struggles rule and Gus is feared by the insecure.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hogdomer on September 01, 2014, 11:48:17 am

ROFL. Please. Read more. Post less.
[CENSORED]!

The Boar War

Quote from: budcampbellfan on September 01, 2014, 04:44:23 pm
I suspect JL got some bad advice on Gus. 

You mean like the Governor saying "Hands off.  He's staying at ASU."

Was that one or two coaches ago?

Biggus Piggus

When was Long supposed to hire Malzahn? Spring 2012? Or when the choice was us or Auburn? Sheesh.
[CENSORED]!