Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Importance of having a game changer at QB at Arkansas

Started by luke hawg, August 31, 2014, 11:05:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 01, 2014, 10:48:09 am
He doesn't need to make the check. The TE has the blitz. Missed block = pick six.  A 6'6", 250lb TE has got to at least slow down a blitzing d-back.

Exactly.  The play call was right. The protection was in the right place, but the TE got steamrolled. That people are trying to put that on BA shows either their agenda or their ignorance.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hoglady

Quote from: hogsanity on September 01, 2014, 11:06:09 am
Exactly.  The play call was right. The protection was in the right place, but the TE got steamrolled. That people are trying to put that on BA shows either their agenda or their ignorance.

Some just don't appear to like BA.
Wouldn't matter what the kid does - he's still going to get bashed.
I thought he was impressive on Saturday, but I've always believed he'd be a fine QB. Kid has been through heck and back - first with JLS and Paul Petrino / then the hurt shoulder last year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Madface Magician

CBB is going to keep saying at every presser he gives that BA "is improving, getting better, etc".....but he will never be the "playmaker, the game changing QB" the Hogs need to run this offense.  The Good News here is we will eventually get that guy!  I work HS football (official for 20 years) in Arkansas and I recall having a first round playoff game at Fayetteville HS when BA was a Sr.  For the type talent he was playing against, he looked good.  He's got good, but not "great" arm strength. Plus, he's facing much better DB's in SEC action than he is "during scout team" drills.  It's not a question of liking, or disliking this kid.  He's hanging in, but he's not the long term answer and CBB knows that.  Let it play out!  If we go 0-8 in SEC play again this year, ....then I think some serious, serious evaluations are in order  ;)

ChitownHawg

Quote from: luke hawg on August 31, 2014, 11:05:26 pm
I really like this offensive system but we would really benefit from more playmaking ability at QB. Me and my dad were talking how impressive our offense looked before Auburn stacked the box. It was laughable how close there safeties were creeping up to stop the run. The answer to all of this is a playmaker at QB. Allen is a good QB when put in appropriate situations but he isn't going to side step a defender roll out and make a DB choose between him and a TE running a comeback. He also isn't going to play action and rip a 50 yard bomb on a rope down the seam. At best he is going to play action and hit a 10 yard pass. Now, no doubt the passing woes were definitely on the receivers yesterday.
Possible outcomes when playing your entire defense 15 yards off the line of scrimmage against Arkansas with lots of run blitzes: 10 yard pass completion, pick 6, incompletion, sack, 5 yard run.

Now his throw to Hatcher was not on the seam, but it was the long beauty you talk about. Now if Hatcher catches that for a TD their defense would have played us a lot different because we burned them. BA has the arm, but he probably needs someone like JoJo to run that route.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

luke hawg

Quote from: luke hawg on August 31, 2014, 11:19:50 pm
I'm not calling for a QB change some of you have poor reading comprehension skills. There isn't a better option on the roster that knows the system. In the future, I think we will need a dynamic QB to keep defenses honest and reach our fool potential.

Ohhh the irony, I noticed this low hanging fruit a little late. I'm happy everyone is on there game.

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: hoglady on September 01, 2014, 01:06:36 am
I just don't know what some of you expect from BA.
Good Lord the pass dropped by Hatcher was a thing of beauty.
Allen played a very good game yesterday.
He, Derby and our backs were by far the bright spots.

Well said, hoglady!

Biggus Piggus

1. So much for the "hit zone" on QBs that the referees so proudly claimed they were going to enforce this season.

2. This offense is begging for a receiver who can get himself open. It does not appear to have any other methods for doing so.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogsanity on September 01, 2014, 11:06:09 am

He did not have to force that throw. He should have eaten the sack.
[CENSORED]!

SWarkansasman

Outstanding QBs make plays that wins games even when WRs don`t.  The threat of the running and passing QB creates easy completions.    I am not down on BA, he is fine , but he is not a Nick Marshall either.   To win the SEC , or go further we saw on Sat . the type QB it takes but the shirt was blue.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: SWarkansasman on September 01, 2014, 05:41:37 pm
Outstanding QBs make plays that wins games even when WRs don`t.  The threat of the running and passing QB creates easy completions.    I am not down on BA, he is fine , but he is not a Nick Marshall either.   To win the SEC , or go further we saw on Sat . the type QB it takes but the shirt was blue.

To be fair, Allen had a better passing day than Marshall did. Marshall didn't dispel any doubts about his arm. But his mere presence at QB makes their running game work. It didn't work at all without him.

Thus the quandary Malzahn will always have in college football. Can he find another Cam Newton? It is very hard to find a QB who can be a dangerous run threat and also be able to run the passing game.
[CENSORED]!

chog68

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 01, 2014, 07:13:45 am
Some fans click on the TV and zero in on the QB. They don't see much of anything else.

The vast majority of people posting here know that QB play is at the bottom of the list of issues from Saturday. They actually see football in more than one dimension.

The rest just clutter up this board and take the focus away from actual football.

Here's what I noticed.

Within a few steps off the snap of the ball Auburn's receivers were already open. Arkansas defensive ends didn't have time to get to Jeremy Johnson or even affect this throws.

Brandon Allen was always looking. Looking. Is somebody going to get open? If they do will they catch the ball?

Also when Arkansas climbed that hill from being down 21-7 to tie it up just before the half the players eased up. It was like they said, man that took some effort. Let's rest a while.

So they went to the locker-room and rested and they never played the same the rest of the game.

Jim Chaney said yesterday that schemes and adjustments didn't cause what happened in the second half. It was a lack of execution.

True enough, BA was not the problem Saturday. NOT true is schemes and adjustments were not the problem-those two elements were MOST of the problem.

Auburn adjusted, making the right adjustments-we made terrible(wrong) "adjustments". What I saw was panic when they closed up the middle from our RB. Bad patterns...too many throws toward the sideline(the extra defender that AU clearly didn't need). The middle was wide open a few yards past the LOS-we never went there.

Hopefully CBB will make his own "adjustments" during or after this season, otherwise his seat may warm quicker than most think.

Just my $.02 worth.....WPS

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: luke hawg on August 31, 2014, 11:05:26 pm

I really like this offensive system but we would really benefit from more playmaking ability at QB. Me and my dad were talking how impressive our offense looked before Auburn stacked the box. It was laughable how close there safeties were creeping up to stop the run. The answer to all of this is a playmaker at QB. Allen is a good QB when put in appropriate situations but he isn't going to side step a defender roll out and make a DB choose between him and a TE running a comeback. He also isn't going to play action and rip a 50 yard bomb on a rope down the seam. We will win a fair amount of games with BA but we need an All SEC caliber QB to win big.

Very puzzled with your post.  The QB play was good, Allen did a good job.  Receivers dropped about 5 passes, one was probably a touchdown.  The only interception was due to a missed block, not Allen's fault. The QB can throw it, but he can't run out there & catch it ....or get separation between the receiver & the DB.   QB was not our problem Saturday.

The defense gave up almost 600 yards, & missed no telling how many tackles.  You might want to take a closer look there,  on what we need to win big.....or at all... in the SEC.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: Wright43 on September 01, 2014, 04:01:43 am
This. Allen only made one really bad mistake. The receivers on the other hand....if we can't air it out, every team will stack the box against us-and I love AC, CM, and Jwill but the only RB I've seen have consistent success against a stacked box is DMac...

I definitely agree that we've got to develop these receivers. Where I don't agree,
is the assessment putting BA's "one mistake", on the level with a dropped pass.
That one mistake, annihilated any momentum we'd built up, possibly, (NOT probably)
resulted in a 14 point swing, and threw the entire team off the cliff. Simply eating the
ball and taking a loss, is a conscious decision. He wasn't the same after that interception,
and seemed scared to death thru my eyes. Not every QB can take a hit like TW did,
and still release the ball before being hit. Not many QBs can see over the top of the man
zeroing in on him, such as a tall quarterback like RM. BA isn't an answer to any
solution at Arkansas, other than being the most prepared of what can easily be
considered, one of the weakest group of QB recruits in the history of our program.

PonderinHog

Hoggish1

Our QB play was the best it's been in three seasons.  Were you watching Arkansas v. Auburn?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on September 03, 2014, 09:25:05 am
I definitely agree that we've got to develop these receivers. Where I don't agree,
is the assessment putting BA's "one mistake", on the level with a dropped pass.
That one mistake, annihilated any momentum we'd built up, possibly, (NOT probably)
resulted in a 14 point swing, and threw the entire team off the cliff. Simply eating the
ball and taking a loss, is a conscious decision. He wasn't the same after that interception,
and seemed scared to death thru my eyes. Not every QB can take a hit like TW did,
and still release the ball before being hit. Not many QBs can see over the top of the man
zeroing in on him, such as a tall quarterback like RM. BA isn't an answer to any
solution at Arkansas, other than being the most prepared of what can easily be
considered, one of the weakest group of QB recruits in the history of our program.
Brandon Allen was looking downfield to an open receiver. He delivered the ball and was hit during his release. Some of you people act like he's got two sets of eyes. One to look for receivers, another to watch for blitzing defenders.

There are NFL hall of fame quarterbacks who were hit many times in their careers like that with similar results.

"Scared to death through your eyes?" Some of the posts in this thread scare me.

HF#1

Get some talent on the outside and I think BA could be a game changer.  He can't do it by himself. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogsanity

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 03, 2014, 11:28:48 am
Brandon Allen was looking downfield to an open receiver. He delivered the ball and was hit during his release. Some of you people act like he's got two sets of eyes. One to look for receivers, another to watch for blitzing defenders.

There are NFL hall of fame quarterbacks who were hit many times in their careers like that with similar results.

"Scared to death through your eyes?" Some of the posts in this thread scare me.

These are mainly the same guys that pined away form Mitchell last year, and want to see either Duwop or JP in there now because they think it would turn the Hogs into some read option hurry up spread team. That's what they want.  They just don't want "traditional" football because it taxes their attention spans ( that are shorter than a 3 yr olds ).

That's why I said that anyone criticizing BA for his play Saturday should be banned because they obviously do not want whats best for the program, but rather for themselves.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Newhopehog

bphi11ips

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 01, 2014, 05:33:49 pm
He did not have to force that throw. He should have eaten the sack.

It's this simple.  Brandon Allen's progress was encouraging, but he misjudged Therezie's speed.  Henry was steamrolled by other linemen, not by Therezie.  Contrary to what lefty says, Allen looked straight at Therezie.  He saw him coming and said so after the game.  He made a bad decision in the heat of a big road game.  He could see Hatcher break free.  He pressed a little.  He did the same thing last year on pick sixes trying to force the ball into coverage.  It's a problem he needs to fix.  He knows it.  The coaches know it.  Even those of you who are willing to engage in all sorts gymnastics to defend him know it.

For Brandon Allen Saturday, it was two steps forward and one step back.  He'll do for the next couple of years.  Next time he'll eat that play.

The hit was borderline.  Maybe we get that call at home vs. Ole Miss.  Not on the road vs. Auburn.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 04, 2014, 07:55:56 am
It's this simple.  Brandon Allen's progress was encouraging, but he misjudged Therezie's speed.  Henry was steamrolled by other linemen, not by Therezie.  Contrary to what lefty says, Allen looked straight at Therezie.  He saw him coming and said so after the game.  He made a bad decision in the heat of a big road game.  He could see Hatcher break free.  He pressed a little.  He did the same thing last year on pick sixes trying to force the ball into coverage.  It's a problem he needs to fix.  He knows it.  The coaches know it.  Even those of you who are willing to engage in all sorts gymnastics to defend him know it.

For Brandon Allen Saturday, it was two steps forward and one step back.  He'll do for the next couple of years.  Next time he'll eat that play.

The hit was borderline.  Maybe we get that call at home vs. Ole Miss.  Not on the road vs. Auburn.
Brandon Allen and the coaches have said a lot of things over the past few days. They don't want to create the impression they're making excuses.

Nonetheless how is he supposed to "see Hatcher break free" and see the sack coming at the same time? Does he have an extra set of eyes in his chin?

It is hilarious to read this stuff. He should have done this. He should have done that.

The kid played well. He's not even close to the reason why they lost. But by all means continue to use all sorts of gymnastics to blame him.

PonderinHog

A horse can look down and forward at the same time.  Why can't our quarterback?   >:(

bphi11ips

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 04, 2014, 08:05:30 am
Brandon Allen and the coaches have said a lot of things over the past few days. They don't want to create the impression they're making excuses.

Nonetheless how is he supposed to "see Hatcher break free" and see the sack coming at the same time? Does he have an extra set of eyes in his chin?

It is hilarious to read this stuff. He should have done this. He should have done that.

The kid played well. He's not even close to the reason why they lost. But by all means continue to use all sorts of gymnastics to blame him.

Watch the replay.  Therezie is directly in Allen's line of sight to Hatcher.  I have the play cued up now.  Keep up the excuses. 

Show me where I said Allen is the reason we lost.  Read the whole post.  He played well.  He is who we thought he is - a pretty good redshirt junior QB.  One who has to stop making poor decisions at critical times.

three hog night

Ia gree.  Good gosh that was just one bad play, and it was not all on BA.  Therize was free to explode on him with more quickness from being loose.  He should not have been loose to the degree. 

Are these posters going to blame the game on this one play?  How about the depth and fatigue?  How about the lack of WR's performance?  How about the fact that AU got the ball first in the 2nd half and scored first to go up 28-21....then they get this INT for a TD to make it a quick 35-21?  Being down 2 scores to an offense like AU puts your offense on a different scoring mentality.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

hogsanity

They will continue to blame him because he is not the type of Qb they want.  They think guys like Bryce Petty and Nick Marshall are the be all end all.  Or that guys like Winston grow on trees. Funny thing is, had Gus not been desperate to find a Qb to run the ball and hand off the Tre Mason, Nick Marshall would never have played Qb in college ANYWHERE.  He is a terrible passer.  He is basically Matt Jones, only I don't think NM throws as well as Jones did.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 04, 2014, 08:10:04 am

Watch the replay.  Therezie is directly in Allen's line of sight to Hatcher.  I have the play cued up now.  Keep up the excuses.
What, did they have a Go Pro camera hooked up to his eyes? The fact is you weren't him and you don't know what he could see.

He may have seen the initial blitz coming but there's no way he could have judged in real time just how close he was to being hit and look at a receiver at the same time. The human eye doesn't work that way.

As I said before I've seen a lot of outstanding NFL QBs get hit just like that. You are nitpicking.

There weren't more than two or three players on the team who had a better game than he did but yeah, let's continue to focus on the QB.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 04, 2014, 08:22:02 am
Brandon Mitchel

BWAAAAHHHH!  You think BM was a game changer?  He was a such a game changer that THREE head coaches had other Qb's above him on the depth chart. 

Hawgzinbowlz

We have a QB that played a solid game for us on Saturday and we have posters complaining that he didn't play like an all pro NFL QB on his best game of the year.

Now a good, solid game isn't enough...it's easy for some to keep moving the goalposts.

" GO HOGS "

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogsanity on September 04, 2014, 08:28:56 am
BWAAAAHHHH!  You think BM was a game changer?  He was a such a game changer that THREE head coaches had other Qb's above him on the depth chart. 

He could run the football .

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 04, 2014, 08:35:44 am
He could run the football .

And there you have proven exactly what I have been saying.  BM could run the football ( which I never really saw when he did get to play, but I'll play along ) and that makes him a game changer.

What some of you have done is shifted from wanting a sling it around QB, to a run around like Fran Tarkenton QB.  As I pointed out earlier this week, those run around guys don't look so good, unless they have receivers that can get open, and catch the ball after the Qb buys time.

three hog night

Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

three hog night

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on September 04, 2014, 08:29:36 am
We have a QB that played a solid game for us on Saturday and we have posters complaining that he didn't play like an all pro NFL QB on his best game of the year.

Now a good, solid game isn't enough...it's easy for some to keep moving the goalposts.

" GO HOGS "

We have too many Gus lovers on this board...it needs an enema

bphi11ips

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 04, 2014, 08:18:37 am

As I said before I've seen a lot of outstanding NFL QBs get hit just like that. You are nitpicking.

And I have said the same since Saturday. Those guys do just what BA will do.  They go into the film room, figure out what they could have done differently, and move on.

The hit was not from the blindside. Period.  Brandon Allen said he saw Therezie.  There's a lot going on in that play if you break it down.  Therezie was crowding the gap showing blitz.  Auburn had a one man advantage at the point of attack.  The call apparently was the fly to Hatcher.  It's not clear whether the pass was to have been off of play action.  Marshall looks like he was expecting a fake, but Allen turns first to his right while Marshall stays to his rear left, hesitates and looks a bit confused.  Marshall, who could have picked up Therezie, then runs a short middle screen through the A-gap and picks up the LB, who is no where near the action.  Meanwhile, Allen takes a 5 step drop while Henry tries to control two men, including Therezie.  There's a lot wrong there if the play was set up for the throw to Hatcher.  The timing was off.  Allen's drop wasn't deep enough.  Hunter was beat by the double team at the point of attack, and Allen misjudged the time he had to throw the ball.  Pretty simple.  Not all Allen's fault, but the play was a game changer.  Two minutes and fifty five seconds were left in the third quarter, and the score was 28-21 when the pick occurred.  The team went flat for the rest of the game.  Was that all BA's fault?  No.  Stuff happens.  Then you watch film and learn from it. 

What would Orville have said about the play and it's impact on the game?  He might have said, like Biggus, that the game wasn't a tale of two halves.  It was a game Arkansas had a chance to win with 3 minutes left in the third quarter.  Then he might have reminded us of the first and fifth of Robert Neyland's seven maxims:

1.  The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

5.  Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE.

Then he probably would have defined "oskie" for us:

When a interception takes place, the player who intercepted the ball screams "oskie" to make his teammates aware that an interception has taken place. As a result, the team turns around and blocks for the player who intercepted the ball.

Orville's point would by now be obvious: Pick sixes can cost you the game.  Avoid them at all costs. 

Orville may have also reminded us of BA's 2 and 3/4 pick sixes last year, and he might have further reminded us that, while everyone remembers 3-17 for 29 yards, it was Casey's Dick's pick six that was the difference in Arkansas's 31-26 loss to LSU in 2006. 

In other words, Orville knew and appreciated fundamental football.  He would love Bret Bielema.  Orville would have immediately seen the pick six Saturday for what it was and would have told us why it was a mistake a fourth year QB must avoid.  Then he would have raved about how well Brandon threw the ball all day and how his receivers have to hang on to TDs. 

I'm not blaming Allen for the loss or focusing just on the QB.  The offense wasn't an issue until the second half, when Auburn's plan was clearly to make Allen and his receivers beat them.  The defense was, and will continue to be, the reason why this team will struggle to reach 6 wins.  It is a personnel issue more than anything else.

My question is this - what is wrong with pointing out the obvious?  The pick sixes have to go. 

Mike Irwin

If you had made that post in the first place I would not have have taken issue with you. But your other posts in this thread took a decidedly different tone.

I am beyond tired of the attacks on Brandon Allen on this board. It seems like the worst thing that can happen to an Arkansas kid is to become a QB for the Razorbacks.

Way too many Arkansas fans seem to get their jollies by kicking one of their own around. The Hogs would be better off with a QB from Utah or Kansas or Alabama. Anywhere but Arkansas.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogsanity on September 04, 2014, 08:40:28 am
And there you have proven exactly what I have been saying.  BM could run the football ( which I never really saw when he did get to play, but I'll play along ) and that makes him a game changer.

What some of you have done is shifted from wanting a sling it around QB, to a run around like Fran Tarkenton QB.  As I pointed out earlier this week, those run around guys don't look so good, unless they have receivers that can get open, and catch the ball after the Qb buys time.
Quote from: three hog night on September 04, 2014, 08:44:17 am
Credibility alert

I don't want BA running that is how he got hurt last year. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 04, 2014, 09:53:19 am

I am beyond tired of the attacks on Brandon Allen on this board. It seems like the worst thing that can happen to an Arkansas kid is to become a QB for the Razorbacks.

There is a way to stop the attacks, the ban hammer.

As for Qb's from AR, they would not be attacked if they were running the read option.  All many Hog fans can see is the freak show at Auburn, and they just can't see any other offense.  Had they paid attention last weekend, they would have seen teams win good games using the I, the spread, hunh, option, and proabably 3 or 4 other offensive "systems". 

three hog night

If you had made that post in the first place I would not have have taken issue with you. But your other posts in this thread took a decidedly different tone.

Way too many Arkansas fans seem to get their jollies by kicking one of their own around. The Hogs would be better off with a QB from Utah or Kansas or Alabama. Anywhere but Arkansas.

The Moderators need to give some posters a vacation.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hogsanity on September 04, 2014, 10:02:44 am
There is a way to stop the attacks, the ban hammer.

As for Qb's from AR, they would not be attacked if they were running the read option.  All many Hog fans can see is the freak show at Auburn, and they just can't see any other offense.  Had they paid attention last weekend, they would have seen teams win good games using the I, the spread, hunh, option, and proabably 3 or 4 other offensive "systems".
Maybe but as far back as Mustain Arkansas QB's have been getting trashed on this board. Mallett escaped I think because he went to Texas High and a lot of fans thought he was from Texas.

Tyler Wilson still gets hammered here.

Is Ty Storey next?

hogsanity

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 04, 2014, 10:07:45 am
Maybe but as far back as Mustain Arkansas QB's have been getting trashed on this board. Mallett escaped I think because he went to Texas High and a lot of fans thought he was from Texas.

Tyler Wilson still gets hammered here.

Is Ty Storey next?

Goes back farther than that.  Even though message boards did not exist, Lunney took his share pf criticism too.  He wasn't flashy, and the offense the Hogs ran with him was "boring".

RM escaped because they were throwing the ball ALOT.

And, those in their desire to see the new fangled stuff that Auburn ran with Cam Newton truly thought Brandon Mitchell was a better choice at Qb that Wilson was.

razorsharptusk

I'm not calling for a QB change some of you have poor reading comprehension skills. There isn't a better option on the roster that knows the system. In the future, I think we will need a dynamic QB to keep defenses honest and reach our fool potential.

I agree.  A mobile qb adds another position the defense has to account for.
GO HOGS!!

whiskeyNwater2.0

Since Arkansas has joined the SEC we have only won 8 or more games when we have had a dynamic playmaker at QB. Look at the year we had Casey Dick at QB when we won 10 games. That team doesn't win 7 games if DMAC doesn't line up at QB half the snaps in the Wildcat formation. This is not an opinion. It is fact. Arkansas has never been talented enough throughout the roster to be able to win without our QB being a playmaker. Brandon Allen is not a playmaker. He is a solid backup QB on a good SEC team.

Atlhogfan1

September 04, 2014, 12:54:37 pm #94 Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 01:05:11 pm by Atlhogfan1
We had two TE's on the side with Therezie.  We had 7 blockers for the 6 defenders AU had on the line of scrimmage since Derby and Henry stayed in. 

At the snap, each olinemen took the defender to the right.  We double teamed on the left side where Therezie was with our G and T.  This left Henry and Derby with a defender each.  Henry took a step forward as if he were trying to block both.  Derby stepped down and picked up the outside rusher.  Therezie headed immediately through the gap on the right of Henry.  The step forward and then the effort to pick up Therezie wasn't going to work as he had given up position to have leverage.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

lumphog

Agree , can't wait to see what Rafe can do better play makers. Ty is going to be great, but I think Rafe is going to be a play maker.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 01, 2014, 07:13:45 am
Jim Chaney said yesterday that schemes and adjustments didn't cause what happened in the second half. It was a lack of execution.

You mean the guy that calls the plays thinks his play calling was fine but the players didn't get it done?

Floored.
Go away, batin'

lumphog

Amen +1

hogsanity

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 04, 2014, 01:04:46 pm
You mean the guy that calls the plays thinks his play calling was fine but the players didn't get it done?

Floored.

Well, we all saw one one play in particular everything was set up perfect, and the blocker picking up the rush was in the perfect place, and just got steamrolled.

cosmodrum

Quote from: hogsanity on September 04, 2014, 01:07:02 pm
Well, we all saw one one play in particular everything was set up perfect, and the blocker picking up the rush was in the perfect place, and just got steamrolled.

I'm not saying execution wasn't the problem. We have to get better. Just not shocked to see Chaney defend his game plan.
Go away, batin'