Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chaney says

Started by Tick Hog, August 31, 2014, 10:14:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

two years, two different dc's saying the same thing.

line up properly, and make players. don't give up big plays.

i would rather have athletes on the field, who might miss, but can make the play when they don't miss.

tired of our defensive coordinators playing scared,

ATTACK SOME PEOPLE!!!
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 31, 2014, 10:19:22 pm
The most disappointing thing yesterday was the horrendous tackling effort.  The rest of it was lack of talent, and neither coordinator can do anything about that.

Except continue to recruit as good as possible!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

three hog night

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on August 31, 2014, 10:23:23 pm
I guess it's beat up coach Chaney day! If guys catch the ball we are not talking about play calling today. We have to capitalize on our chances to make plays in the passing games. We don't have a big time player at WR.

I agree.  We have some fans that suck.   We don't have the big WR's to play against the physical secondaries or speed to draw safety coverage.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

farmhawg

Quote from: Kevin on September 01, 2014, 08:52:32 am

i would rather have athletes on the field, who might miss, but can make the play when they don't miss.

ATTACK SOME PEOPLE!!!
We have a defensive minded head coach that is running the defensive system he wants.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Letsroll1200

Quote from: three hog night on September 01, 2014, 08:55:43 am
I agree.  We have some fans that suck.   We don't have the big WR's to play against the physical secondaries or speed to draw safety coverage.

Nobody at WR at Arkansas can start at Alabama, Ole Miss, LSU, Georgia etc.... I believe we have some running backs that can compete with any back in the SEC outside of Gurley. We want a passing game but when your best wide receiver is coming off of ACL from last season you are in trouble.

Kevin

Quote from: farmhawg on September 01, 2014, 09:06:49 am
We have a defensive minded head coach that is running the defensive system he wants.

heard off season how they were going to attack people.

stop the lies, if they are not going to
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

three hog night

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on September 01, 2014, 09:07:39 am
Nobody at WR at Arkansas can start at Alabama, Ole Miss, LSU, Georgia etc.... I believe we have some running backs that can compete with any back in the SEC outside of Gurley. We want a passing game but when your best wide receiver is coming off of ACL from last season you are in trouble.

Wilson looks pretty good.  The defense does not have to worry about any of our other WR's enough to use safety coverage help.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

three hog night

Quote from: Kevin on September 01, 2014, 09:10:20 am
heard off season how they were going to attack people.

stop the lies, if they are not going to

Let's wait to see how other teams attack AU.  I saw our corners stop pressing after a few plays because AU has some freakish WR's that are weight room junkies that can run like deer.  Our corners are too small to go against that, but TT has small WR's that our corners can press.

Kevin

Quote from: three hog night on September 01, 2014, 09:14:42 am
Let's wait to see how other teams attack AU.  I saw our corners stop pressing after a few plays because AU has some freakish WR's that are weight room junkies that can run like deer.  Our corners are too small to go against that, but TT has small WR's that our corners can press.

so the plan is let bigger, stronger, faster receivers, get a running start at you, then try & defend them.

farmhawg

For some reason that strikes me as funny. +1
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Arkfan

The most disappointing thing yesterday was the horrendous tackling effort.  The rest of it was lack of talent, and neither coordinator can do anything about that.

I think those two things contributed but they werent the only things that went wrong. Chaney seemed to call plays that were our weakness not our strength.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Kevin on September 01, 2014, 09:24:40 am
so the plan is let bigger, stronger, faster receivers, get a running start at you, then try & defend them.

Well using your logic then you are saying let bigger, stronger, faster receivers manhandle you at the LOS? Sounds like a talent issue which is why younger DBs are playing.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

GuvHog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on September 01, 2014, 05:56:31 am
So the defense gives up 600 yards and the only thing Hogville can talk about is the OC?

There will be some games where the Hogs will face offenses that will not be stopped and this was one of them. To win, the Hogs were going to have to outscore Auburn but the offense didn't get it done.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: GuvHog on September 01, 2014, 10:18:57 am
There will be some games where the Hogs will face offenses that will not be stopped and this was one of them. To win, the Hogs were going to have to outscore Auburn but the offense didn't get it done.

You mean we're going to have to outscore people to win games?  No...way.   :P

Or, we could just do what UCLA did and have our defense score 3 TD's.  Oh wait...maybe we should start by just defending ONE PASS!!!   :(
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 01, 2014, 10:21:03 am
You mean we're going to have to outscore people to win games?  No...way.   :P

Or, we could just do what UCLA did and have our defense score 3 TD's.  Oh wait...maybe we should start by just defending ONE PASS!!!   :(

I guess I am easier to please than you - I will take allowing the pass, but tackle the guy instead of whiffing for a long TD YAC.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 01, 2014, 10:46:51 am
I guess I am easier to please than you - I will take allowing the pass, but tackle the guy instead of whiffing for a long TD YAC.  ;D

Chitown...I refuse to re-watch the game, but I cannot recall a single ball that was delivered to an Auburn WR where we were anywhere close to being within arm's reach.  It is seriously one of the most befuddling things I've ever seen on the football field, and this will be the third year in a row we've watched it.  In truth, we watched it most of the BP years too. 

I would rather see us pick the 6 best athletes in the state next season, no matter what side of the ball they play on, and put them back there playing man with 2 deep safeties to help, and take our chances vs. this lame zone that we seem to employ year after year. 

Hoping the opposition doesn't catch the ball standing wide open right between the hashes on a basic 15 yard curl route is NOT a defensive strategy.  Well...it is I guess, but it's not a good one.  "Well, the sun didn't get in his eyes on that one," or "Man, the ball didn't slip out of the QB's hands when he threw it," does not seem like a very good defensive scheme to me.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 01, 2014, 10:53:27 am
Chitown...I refuse to re-watch the game, but I cannot recall a single ball that was delivered to an Auburn WR where we were anywhere close to being within arm's reach.  It is seriously one of the most befuddling things I've ever seen on the football field, and this will be the third year in a row we've watched it.  In truth, we watched it most of the BP years too. 

I would rather see us pick the 6 best athletes in the state next season, no matter what side of the ball they play on, and put them back there playing man with 2 deep safeties to help, and take our chances vs. this lame zone that we seem to employ year after year. 

Hoping the opposition doesn't catch the ball standing wide open right between the hashes on a basic 15 yard curl route is NOT a defensive strategy.  Well...it is I guess, but it's not a good one.  "Well, the sun didn't get in his eyes on that one," or "Man, the ball didn't slip out of the QB's hands when he threw it," does not seem like a very good defensive scheme to me.   

I understand your point and don't disagree. My clumisly stated point was we need to tackle first because if we cannot tackle then being closer to the ball means little. The play I was speaking was the first TD by them. The safety knew he was all alone due to a corner blitz yet he tucks his head and lunges - whiff was the sound of air the WR heard as the safety flew by him.  ;D

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 01, 2014, 10:46:51 am

Oh, and btw...as of right now, I certainly get what you're saying and it's hard to disagree.  I'd take something over nothing at this point, and then maybe we can build on that.  But watch the TAMU game.  They had a Fr. out there, number 29 I think he was, who was not fooling around.  If you did catch the ball, then he was going to do his part to sell out to dislodge it.  On more than one occasion, they caught the ball and our guys softly attempted to tackle them right around the hips, and bounced off like pinballs. 

I complain about it every year, and I guess it's because I played S and it's just bizarre to see how passive we seem to be on allowing WR's to catch the ball, and then try to gently wrestle them to the ground.  When I played...I was all of 160 lbs, and I was MAD AS HECK when someone caught the ball, and I was sure as heck going to try make them pay and jar the ball loose.  I just don't get it...

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: GuvHog on September 01, 2014, 10:18:57 am

If you are expecting the Hogs to go on the road to any team in the SEC not named Vandy or UK and score over 35 pts you are crazy.

The offense didn't the job done in the second half. The D didn't get it done in either half.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 01, 2014, 06:06:59 am
CBB is a pretty straight shooter and seems to accept the blame when it is his fault. Watch the presser and look at his face. He is not a happy camper with Chaney and he shouldn't be.

He's got a direct line to Chaney all game. If he didn't like the play calling, and there wasn't a good reason for it, why didn't hey say "he man, go back to running the same plays". He obviously didn't.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 01, 2014, 10:56:48 am
I understand your point and don't disagree. My clumisly stated point was we need to tackle first because if we cannot tackle then being closer to the ball means little. The play I was speaking was the first TD by them. The safety knew he was all alone due to a corner blitz yet he tucks his head and lunges - whiff was the sound of air the WR heard as the safety flew by him.  ;D

Haha...your post beat mine by seconds!  Yeah, I certainly understand what you're saying.  For me, it's far more of the issue that if we're closer, then we not only have a chance to make a play on the ball, but the defender doesn't have that split second to get his vision squared away, and make that first move to get YAC.  It should be "bam, bam" on those plays over the middle.  They have time to catch it, turn, survey the field, and then decide where to go with the football. 

I'm not talking about a man defense on the outside where someone gets fooled by a double move, falls down, or slips and someone is running wide open.  I'm talking about guys running down the field 15 yards, settling down dead between the hashes, turning around on a basic curl and the QB just throwing it right to him.  Then he catches it, and you see 4 defenders that were out there doing who knows what, converge to try to tackle him.  Why are they 3 yards away, just waiting for the WR to catch the ball?  I just can't fathom that, unless there's such a talent deficiency that the current strategy is simply to stay behind everyone, let them catch it no matter how deep they are, and then tackle them.  I can't see how it can be anything but that, and it's going to be a long season if that's what we're going to do. 

Kevin

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 01, 2014, 10:12:31 am
Well using your logic then you are saying let bigger, stronger, faster receivers manhandle you at the LOS? Sounds like a talent issue which is why younger DBs are playing.

Yes, at least that would slow them up some, and maybe our line could get some pressure.

It was 7 vs 7 in the first half

How did laying back work for the USC gamecocks

PorkRinds

Quote from: Kevin on September 01, 2014, 08:52:32 am

ATTACK SOME PEOPLE!!!

What's funny is that you really think it's that easy, and that you've got it figured out.

cosmodrum

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on September 01, 2014, 08:10:28 am
Chaney is 2-23 in the SEC the past 3+ years. I rest my case

He sucks. Gotta go.
Go away, batin'

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 01, 2014, 11:06:26 am
What's funny is that you really think it's that easy, and that you've got it figured out.

Pork...I'm not sure anyone is saying it's easy.  I know what I'm saying is, when you watch it on TV...they catch the ball and no Hog is in the picture.  When you watch it live, it's like a big game of damage control and you see our guys out there literally covering an area of the field like a pillar.  "This is my spot, and I'm covering these two yards."  It's as simple looking as a S on one hash, and a S on the other...and there's no way either of them will actually converge and cover the receiver who is RIGHT BETWEEN them standing there waiting on the ball until after the ball is caught.  I just don't get that...at all. 

Kevin

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 01, 2014, 11:06:26 am

I don't think it is easy.  Just tired of watching & hearing the same thing over again.  Not just our team.

Defensive coordinators need to start getting creative, the same old 4-2-5 defense is not stopping  these spread offenses

I would rather see our dc experiment and get beat, than doing the same thing over and over again. Because that is getting us beat

Biggus Piggus

You guys are way overthinking this. Arkansas traded punches with Auburn for an entire half, on the road, in the opener. This is good. Don't get pissy because Auburn owned the second half. Our team has part of the future in place. As more young players get ready, more of the future will click in. I was ecstatic about coming back from 14 down.

Also knew Marshall was coming, Auburn would get the football first in the third quarter, and we would be behind again.

Auburn showed us the same stacked fronts we shredded in the first half. Chaney lost courage after a couple of losses and quit trying to run. We lose if we cannot get the ball to our playmakers. I am certain Bielema has told Chaney that.
[CENSORED]!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 01, 2014, 11:53:27 am
You guys are way overthinking this. Arkansas traded punches with Auburn for an entire half, on the road, in the opener. This is good. Don't get pissy because Auburn owned the second half. Our team has part of the future in place. As more young players get ready, more of the future will click in. I was ecstatic about coming back from 14 down.

Also knew Marshall was coming, Auburn would get the football first in the third quarter, and we would be behind again.

Auburn showed us the same stacked fronts we shredded in the first half. Chaney lost courage after a couple of losses and quit trying to run. We lose if we cannot get the ball to our playmakers. I am certain Bielema has told Chaney that.

Nice post.  And it's because it's true.  We traded punches in the first half, and for whatever reason their adjustments worked in the second half and we didn't have an answer. 

The glaring weakness remains our secondary.  I have no idea how we get better there quickly enough to compete with the SEC this season, but I genuinely hope I'm dead wrong and that was just a tall order to play Auburn's scheme and we were doing the best we could to try to limit them.  It obviously didn't work well, but as you suggested...a lot of that was probably fatigue and lack of depth.  That will improve over time, but we still have to have some studs come in here wanting to make a difference.   

Atlhogfan1

Our third qtr possesions:

3 straight passes( 2 short completions) and punt.

3 yard run, 17 yard pass, 1 yard run, 5 yard pass, -6 yard run, punt.

3 yard run, pick 6 int.

No gain run, false start, 15 yard pass, -3 yard pass, 6 yard run, end of qtr.

So we started off the third w/ AU scoring to go up 7.  We got the ball at the 25 after the kickoff and threw a short pass to Derby for no gain.  This may have been the play that started the chain reaction of play call decisions.  Just guessing.  2nd and 10 for this offense may should suggest run to get in 3rd and manageable but they were stacking against the run.  We go short pass to Arinze and get 2 yards.  Now 3rd and long dictates pass. 

Second possession we tried running.  3 yards, 1 yard, -6 yards.  Not having success.

Third possession, run first down for 3 yards.  Maybe next play should have been a run too especially based on the result. 

Next possession we try to start running again.  No gain.  Pass for a first down. Pass to back gets us -3 and a fumble. Then a 6 yard run. 

It is somewhat understandable what happened in the third.  A couple of play calls maybe should have been runs.

Is Brandon allowed to check to a throw?

In the 4th, it was comeback time. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ChitownHawg

September 01, 2014, 12:06:44 pm #79 Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 12:28:03 pm by ChitownHawg
Quote from: Kevin on September 01, 2014, 11:06:00 am
Yes, at least that would slow them up some, and maybe our line could get some pressure.

It was 7 vs 7 in the first half

How did laying back work for the USC gamecocks

I apologize as I thought the object of the game is to stop them and now I find out it is just slow them down. Got it. We should be trying to cause their TD play be 12 seconds instead of 10.

Now more seriously - you are the one using this simplistic examples. I never said laying off 10 yards was a good thing.  I just responded to your simplicity of the issue is all.

Remember the their first TD? CRS dialed up an aggressive play, but the safety failed to "slow down" the receiver who was bigger and faster.

Back to your point of playing up tight I am for that and am interested to here why CRS pulled them back. My guess is he needed the safeties down low for run support and our inexperienced DBs were not ready for solo work.

Would be interesting to hear some of the Hogvillians who have coached take on this.

lumphog

Quote from: three hog night on September 01, 2014, 09:14:42 am
Good post 3Hog

Pig In The City

I did expect to see more physical tackling considering all the hype about being a mentally tough team.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: lumphog on September 01, 2014, 12:09:06 pm
Good post 3Hog

Why was that a good post?  He's talking about Texas Tech.  Look at the rest of the SEC.  TAMU - Huge physical receivers.  Ole Miss - Huge, physical receivers.  South Carolina - Runts more like us, and it showed too, and we don't play them  :(.  Bama - Big, not huge, physical receivers, UGA same, Mizzou same, etc., etc.   

The point is...we're going to face that all year long, and this is about the SEC where we play.  We don't have those on offense, and we'll face them on defense all year.  That's not going away, and we need to either change some things up, or do a better job of recruiting that position.   

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Pig In The City on September 01, 2014, 12:09:51 pm
I did expect to see more physical tackling considering all the hype about being a mentally tough team.

It wasn't bad in the first half.  Second half...I think fatigue set in, and it's a taller order to bring down guys that are 30 lbs heavier and stronger.  Again, we aren't getting those elite athletes at this point, and we need these kids to develop and improve so it's more of an even playing field, we can win some games, and some of those elite kids will see us as a desirable place to play. 

It's going to be tough as fans again this year I think.  We'll need to find some ways to make some big plays, and get lucky a little.  I think we're closer...how much, who knows?  It was Auburn.   

Pig In The City

We currently do not have the ability to stretch the field with our passing game. Whose fault that is I don't know. I can't tell if BA can't see the open play or there isn't one. Anyone have any ideas after watching tape of the game?

I am concerned that these glaring issues from last year have not been corrected. C'mon man! This is toss and catch. Work it out.

JayBell

Over the last handful of years, every defensive coordinator seems to never be able to come to grips with the lack of talent Arkansas has at linebacker and safety.  They keep trying to run traditional schemes and ride the defensive line.

The linebackers look vastly improved, but Coleman is very obviously not a linebacker.  The safeties are decent at tackling, but are terrible in coverage.  There's a reason Ash finally caved and went to running a 4-2-5 late in the season.

Smith has a learning curve with the talent at his disposal.  If they can get the right players on the field, then they may become a decent defense by season's end.  Any hopes of a truly good defense are still at least a season away.

JayBell

Does anyone ever look at it from Chaney's point of view?  Arkansas had roughly 7-10 drops of varying egregious degrees Saturday.  Do you understand how that affects a game plan?

Why is Chaney going to keep calling what should have been successful passing plays if the receivers can't finish it off?  The success of his passing game is built around trying to get tight ends open and running backs into space.  That's a tough ask again SEC defenses.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 01, 2014, 12:13:04 pm
Why was that a good post?  He's talking about Texas Tech.  Look at the rest of the SEC.  TAMU - Huge physical receivers.  Ole Miss - Huge, physical receivers.  South Carolina - Runts more like us, and it showed too, and we don't play them  :(.  Bama - Big, not huge, physical receivers, UGA same, Mizzou same, etc., etc.   

The point is...we're going to face that all year long, and this is about the SEC where we play.  We don't have those on offense, and we'll face them on defense all year.  That's not going away, and we need to either change some things up, or do a better job of recruiting that position.   

I think I have Davenport say they are recruiting bigger DBs and safeties. Or at least taller - 6' plus.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: JayBell on September 01, 2014, 12:18:58 pm
Does anyone ever look at it from Chaney's point of view?  Arkansas had roughly 7-10 drops of varying egregious degrees Saturday.  Do you understand how that affects a game plan?

Why is Chaney going to keep calling what should have been successful passing plays if the receivers can't finish it off?  The success of his passing game is built around trying to get tight ends open and running backs into space.  That's a tough ask again SEC defenses.

Your first question is hard to answer, because despite all of the drops starting in the first half, we only ran the ball 5 times in the second half.  So...I guess the plan was...to catch the ball better, because we certainly didn't abandon it and start running. 

We need some quick curls, slants, and other ways to get positive yardage.  Those routes require timing, and practice, and I'm not sure how much time we're devoting to that.  No way to know...closed practices.  It just seems that our routes are too deep, too slow to develop, and it's just not keeping the defense honest.   

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 01, 2014, 12:29:41 pm
I think I have Davenport say they are recruiting bigger DBs and safeties. Or at least taller - 6' plus.

I hope we find them.   :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 01, 2014, 12:30:40 pm
Your first question is hard to answer, because despite all of the drops starting in the first half, we only ran the ball 5 times in the second half. So...I guess the plan was...to catch the ball better, because we certainly didn't abandon it and start running. 

We need some quick curls, slants, and other ways to get positive yardage.  Those routes require timing, and practice, and I'm not sure how much time we're devoting to that.  No way to know...closed practices.  It just seems that our routes are too deep, too slow to develop, and it's just not keeping the defense honest.

True. Someone posted that in the Demgaz Chaney is quoted as saying he stuck to the game plan. The run game was stuffed. Or something along those lines.

Well you have two run plays get stufffed, so you abandon that for the pass? If that was his logic then wouldn't he go back to the run when we started dropping passes?

CURRENTLY - the odds of our RBs breaking one off is higher than our odds of a WR doing so.

Now this is predicated on someone else's interpretation of an article that I have not read. But Chaney should have a good reason for abandoning the game plan that was working. Especially when his adjustment was not. And that includes dropped passes as that should tell him his receivers are not ready.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 01, 2014, 12:38:41 pm
True. Someone posted that in the Demgaz Chaney is quoted as saying he stuck to the game plan. The run game was stuffed. Or something along those lines.

Well you have two run plays get stufffed, so you abandon that for the pass? If that was his logic then wouldn't he go back to the run when we started dropping passes?

CURRENTLY - the odds of our RBs breaking one off is higher than our odds of a WR doing so.

Now this is predicated on someone else's interpretation of an article that I have not read. But Chaney should have a good reason for abandoning the game plan that was working. Especially when his adjustment was not. And that includes dropped passes as that should tell him his receivers are not ready.

I think most fans would agree that if the opposition can get away with stacking 9 in the box, and we can't find ways to pass effectively against it, we're in trouble.  Let's face it...the road map is out there, and I have every reason to believe that we'll see it all year until we prove we can counteract it. 

online-with-swine

What defense did we run in years past when we actually had some success?  Wasn't it a 4 2 5 or something of the sort.  We couldn't get the size to run a 4-3 so we ended up with more speed on the field to "fly" to the ball.  Unfortunately, we don't have size nor speed in our back 7 to make either work right now.  We will have to recruit our way into a better defense.

Wildhog

I just remember Tenner fans being happy to get rid of Chaney.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: online-with-swine on September 01, 2014, 12:50:38 pm
What defense did we run in years past when we actually had some success?  Wasn't it a 4 2 5 or something of the sort.  We couldn't get the size to run a 4-3 so we ended up with more speed on the field to "fly" to the ball.  Unfortunately, we don't have size nor speed in our back 7 to make either work right now.  We will have to recruit our way into a better defense.

I think it's reasonable to assume they'll improve some, and with some development of the 2nd and 3rds, we'll do better on depth concerns.  We'll be better at the end of the year than we are now, but I agree...we need to improve recruiting in the secondary. 

It was one game, against a very tough team to defend...one of the toughest, I would argue.  They had the offense to beat everyone last season, and it was THEIR defense that was their liability, so we're not alone in that regard.

I see improvement.  How much..who knows, but if we improve moderately, I think we'll have some chances against some teams we won't be expected to compete with this season.  We're still a season away from really threatening anyone IMO, but that's OK... 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Wildhog on September 01, 2014, 12:55:56 pm

Well, they also threw a fit when Kiffin left, and look at his saga now.  He's at Bama, and they looked far from invincible against WVA.  That dude has risen so far above his level of competence that his picture should be in the dictionary next to the word. 

Fort Dweller

I remember Tenner fans being happy to get rid of Dooley.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Wildhog

Quote from: Fort Dweller on September 01, 2014, 01:02:12 pm
I remember Tenner fans being happy to get rid of Dooley.

I remember them losing their ish when we took Pittman.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PonderinHog

I remember when we were winning and MMQB was kinda upbeat and fun.

ChitownHawg

I did a search and here is one sampling. I chose the Tigerdropping's site as oppose to their site to get a more balanced view. I am sure their site is like ours in that the extremes can sometimes take over a thread.

Now the quote I provided was from a Tenner who approached the subject objectively and pointed out some concerns we are having. I have bolded a few.

I would say he's solid.

He is pretty creative and multiple. Tons of different looks and willing to evolve.

He gives up on the run game a little too easily imo and is not too good at adjusting in game.

Year by year at Tennessee:
Year 1: Was Offensive Coordinator in name only. Kiffin called plays and coached QBs.

Year 2: Pretty mediocre offense. Mostly pro style stuff, but the offense really looked good when the frosh (Bray, Hunter, Da'Rick) got in the mix at the end of the year. Again, mostly pro style looks.

Year 3: Disaster. Bray and Hunter got hurt and Chaney did not know what to do. Got little to no production out of the offense outside of Da'Rick. Began evolving into a pistol/spread

Year 4: More of a spread pass heavy offense. Put up great numbers, but I would say there are 8 sure fire NFL players on this offense so his job was not too hard. Easily his best year in terms of getting the ball in the right guys hands. Bray did not develop as well as most hoped. Play calling was pretty good for the most part though.

The players seem to like him as well, very easy to root for.

Genuinely hope he does well wherever he ends up.

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/38293728/Question-for-Tennessee-fans---Jim-Chaney.aspx