Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chaney says

Started by Tick Hog, August 31, 2014, 10:14:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on September 01, 2014, 12:55:56 pm
I just remember Tenner fans being happy to get rid of Chaney.

Right. And fans are always the best and most level headed decides of blame when it comes to why the team isn't successful. Hogville is living proof.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on September 01, 2014, 08:10:28 am
Chaney is 2-23 in the SEC the past 3+ years. I rest my case

I had no idea it was that bad, mog

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Wildhog on September 01, 2014, 01:03:33 pm
I remember them losing their ish when we took Pittman.

Word.

I just can't put all the Tenner stuff on Chaney.  Monte's D in 09 was ok, but most D's would look decent with Eric Berry and Dan Williams.  Justin Wilcox was a disaster and Sunseri didn't do much better.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Kevin

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 01, 2014, 12:06:44 pm
I apologize as I thought the object of the game is to stop them and now I find out it is just slow them down. Got it. We should be trying to cause their TD play be 12 seconds instead of 10.

Now more seriously - you are the one using this simplistic examples. I never said laying off 10 yards was a good thing.  I just responded to your simplicity of the issue is all.

Remember the their first TD? CRS dialed up an aggressive play, but the safety failed to "slow down" the receiver who was bigger and faster.

Back to your point of playing up tight I am for that and am interested to here why CRS pulled them back. My guess is he needed the safeties down low for run support and our inexperienced DBs were not ready for solo work.

Would be interesting to hear some of the Hogvillians who have coached take on this.

Slow the receiver off the line, to give our line a chance.  Heck, have a cb get a holding plenty, from fight the wr. 

If your playing against more talented players, you better attack them.  You lay back and try to defend them, their talent will win.

Try to pressure them into mistakes, they are not going to make many on their own.

Again, how did that laying off work for South Carolina last Thursday.

Put the best, fastest players on the field, and attack. Don't coach scared. 

The defensive solution will come from some d3 or d2 coach, that has job security, and is not afraid.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on September 01, 2014, 01:09:59 pm
Two yards rushing in the second half with our OL and RB's?  Y'all can defend him all you want, but is beyond PATHETIC.

And I'm still in a pretty cheery mood about our team.  I just don't believe in Chaney.

Seems Asa of you've always got to have an assistant in your sights. First it was lunney, then ex pull KJ and now you move on to Chaney. First time we have a great offensive game, you'll move on to another coach that you have no faith in.

Laughing Hog

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on August 31, 2014, 11:01:23 pm
This, how many passes hit a guy in the hands or between the numbers yesterday and just got dropped?  The schemes were getting people open they just weren't making the plays.

A bunch, and at critical times. Isn't it Michael Smith's job to teach these guys guys how to catch a ball under pressure?
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Kevin on September 01, 2014, 02:43:20 pm
Slow the receiver off the line, to give our line a chance.  Heck, have a cb get a holding plenty, from fight the wr. 

If your playing against more talented players, you better attack them.  You lay back and try to defend them, their talent will win.

Try to pressure them into mistakes, they are not going to make many on their own.

Again, how did that laying off work for South Carolina last Thursday.

Put the best, fastest players on the field, and attack. Don't coach scared. 

The defensive solution will come from some d3 or d2 coach, that has job security, and is not afraid.

Ok Kevin I will try one more time for you. If the safeties are up on the line playing the run then who is behind the DB? Easy answer - no one. The DB slows the WR for one second then gets pushed out of the way as you said they are bigger and faster.

Now the WR is behind the DB and the QB simply slings it over the DBs head for a TD.

Or they may be given some charity if they followed your other strategy of holding. Heck Gus is not too proud to march his team into the endzone 10 penalized yards at a time.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Kevin

I did not say have the safeties at the line

Keep watching those defenses playing soft, and keep watching the offense put up video numbers.

Which pass is easier to complete a 5 yard slant or a 30 yard pass down the sideline?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Hollywood870

Quote from: JayBell on September 01, 2014, 12:18:58 pm
Does anyone ever look at it from Chaney's point of view?  Arkansas had roughly 7-10 drops of varying egregious degrees Saturday.  Do you understand how that affects a game plan?

Why is Chaney going to keep calling what should have been successful passing plays if the receivers can't finish it off?  The success of his passing game is built around trying to get tight ends open and running backs into space.  That's a tough ask again SEC defenses.
I didn't see 7 drops. Again Chaney is 2-23 as an SEC OC. People here will keep defending until he is fired. If you think Chaney's record speaks for itself you are part of Clay Travis' 4th dumbest fan base.

Paul

Quote from: three hog night on September 01, 2014, 09:11:40 am
Wilson looks pretty good.  The defense does not have to worry about any of our other WR's enough to use safety coverage help.
.  May be time to get JoJo & Kendrick ready

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Kevin on September 01, 2014, 04:04:25 pm
I did not say have the safeties at the line

Keep watching those defenses playing soft, and keep watching the offense put up video numbers.

Which pass is easier to complete a 5 yard slant or a 30 yard pass down the sideline?

I know you didn't say that, but I think they were up on the line during the game. If they play back to support the DBs then Gus simply calls a read option. Fortunately for us not all the teams we play will have this luxury. I hope.  ;D

I think the only way to stop this circular issue is to match their WRs with big DBs. I said earlier Davenport has stated they are trying to recruit bigger DBs which then can play that aggressive on LOS we want to see.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

hawgbawb

September 01, 2014, 04:41:09 pm #111 Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 05:04:23 pm by hawgbawb
Our problem is lack of size/speed/playmakers at WR and in the secondary. The LB's also lack depth.

What we have is the aftereffects of several years of sub-SEC recruiting.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Kevin on September 01, 2014, 09:10:20 am
heard off season how they were going to attack people.

stop the lies, if they are not going to

You mean like the corner blitz by Carroll Washington that resulted in six points for Auburn?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 01, 2014, 04:42:40 pm
You mean like the corner blitz by Carroll Washington that resulted in six points for Auburn?

Yep when the safety whiffed that tackle I knew CRS would have a hard time being aggressive. During the Spring AA threw that pass right before the half for a TD. CBB asked CRS what happened. CRS' answer was the safety took the wrong angle.

Hard to be aggressive when some of your experienced players cannot tackle or see correct angles.

Kevin

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 01, 2014, 04:36:13 pm
I know you didn't say that, but I think they were up on the line during the game. If they play back to support the DBs then Gus simply calls a read option. Fortunately for us not all the teams we play will have this luxury. I hope.  ;D

I think the only way to stop this circular issue is to match their WRs with big DBs. I said earlier Davenport has stated they are trying to recruit bigger DBs which then can play that aggressive on LOS we want to see.

No question, recruit db's 6 foot or taller, 190 range. I would sacrifice speed for athleticism & strength

BallHog1

Quote from: steefhog on September 01, 2014, 06:38:20 am
You are exactly right. Chaney might SAY he didn't change the game plan, but he did.

Second half, Auburn defense was blitzing constantly, and putting at least two more guys in the gaps on every play. Plugging the trap play and daring us to throw.

So...we did. Start throwing on first down. And then almost every down.

And dropping passes. Catchable passes.

Someone in this thread said the announcers wondered why we went away from what worked. Well, I heard them plainly say more than once, our passing game was just being ignored by the defense.

Irony? If Chaney had come out and said, "Yeah, we had to go to the air, to get around the blitzes. But our guys can't catch a cold."..... The same people in this thread complaining about a change in game plan they didn't see....would instead be complaining that Chaney was throwing players under the bus.
THIS. He tried to take what the defense was giving but we couldn't take it. BB knows this and Chaney knows this. Most people who've ever been around the game know this.

dandd TD

I did watch game again. I did see where Auburn put everyone in the box, five yards off the Los. This is a great time to run a dump pass, slant, wheel, to back up the secondary. When we were passing EVERY play Auburn Did Not have 9 in box. We could have run the ball. Pass some, but don't completely abandon the run. I can assure you we won't pass every play against the Sec with the personnel we have right now.

MCheisman

This offense can get some Ws on the board. What will stop us is the lack of big hitters on the De. We have no one that can lay a lick. It's the worst I've ever seen in terms of being physical.

Biggus Piggus

The corner blitz by Washington? He stopped halfway, taking himself out of the play.
[CENSORED]!

Zcoach

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 31, 2014, 11:22:26 pm
Is it Chaney...or CBB?  How do we really know?  If the offense doesn't improve in the SEC this year, we'll see a new OC next season for sure.  Then we'll know how much of it is the OC or CBB.  Until then...who really knows?
In his last three seasons in the SEC he has only beaten a bad Kentucky team twice.  He has never had a winning season in the SEC.  I suppose he is never with a team with the right talent, at least not since Drew Breese in 2000.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on September 01, 2014, 01:03:33 pm
I remember them losing their ish when we took Pittman.

Are Pittman and Chaney a package deal?  Does anyone really know or is speculation?  If they are, can Bielema drive a wedge between them if Bielema has to make a change with the OC position?

I'm still not thinking Chaney is the complete problem. He's not BP, but no one is.  Chaney is a far upgrade from Paul Petrino or any of the nut regime and many others. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 01, 2014, 11:08:16 am
He sucks. Gotta go.

In the last game his offense only gave up 7 points. I wonder where all those other old barn points came from.................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Wildhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 02, 2014, 03:30:45 pm
In the last game his offense only gave up 7 points. I wonder where all those other old barn points came from.................

...?  You aren't going to stop AU's offense.  If Bama can't do it, we can't do it.  You can only hope to slow them down. 

Our defense did enough to keep us in the game.  We had back to back stops in the third quarter, and chances to stay in the game, but we punted both times.  That just can't happen.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Ramtough

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 01, 2014, 01:05:37 pm
I remember when we were winning and MMQB was kinda upbeat and fun.
I haven't been a member for long enough to remember when MMQB was fun. I guess I can say it has been interesting.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wildhog on September 02, 2014, 03:40:51 pm
...?  You aren't going to stop AU's offense.  If Bama can't do it, we can't do it.  You can only hope to slow them down. 

Our defense did enough to keep us in the game.  We had back to back stops in the third quarter, and chances to stay in the game, but we punted both times.  That just can't happen.

My point was he said Chaney had to go yet the biggest problems are not the offense.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Wildhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 02, 2014, 04:08:19 pm
My point was he said Chaney had to go yet the biggest problems are not the offense.

The biggest problems on defense are personnel.  That will improve.

Whether Chaney will improve or not is another issue, entirely.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Wildhog on September 02, 2014, 03:40:51 pm

This to a degree.  We saw it last year as well.  D would play OK to Good get some stops but the offense would lay multiple eggs.  I do not blame a D for eventually getting demoralized after they have done their job only to have the offense fall flat.  Also a team like Auburn is going to get their points regardless of the defense.  Every stop is a gift and opportunity for the offense.  They made the most of those opportunities until the last drive in the first half.  Offense went 3 and out and the D still held for one more stop to keep it tied at the half.

My vote is jury still out on the defense.  This was game one for RS and he has time to evaluate and improve, and there was some improvement there.

It is game 13 for Chaney and there are some patterns developing.  You see some things mentioned in the message board quotes that echo comments made here.  I know most blow off fan message board criticism as fans just being irrational fans.  But there are some legit concerns and modicums of truth out there.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

wachhog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on September 01, 2014, 05:56:31 am
So the defense gives up 600 yards and the only thing Hogville can talk about is the OC?
Wonder why?

Ramtough

Quote from: Wildhog on September 02, 2014, 04:09:57 pm
The biggest problems on defense are personnel.  That will improve.

Whether Chaney will improve or not is another issue, entirely.
It looked like when Chaney got outside of his scripted plays he struggled to make a play call. I saw the same thing last year as well.

razorbackkid

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 01, 2014, 06:44:57 pm
The corner blitz by Washington? He stopped halfway, taking himself out of the play.

Sure enough...I was like.....

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

JayBell

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 01, 2014, 04:42:40 pm

And if there were a called corner blitz, why stop midway? And if it was a called play, why wasn't the Safety rotated up closer to take away the gap of coverage that the WR found? That looked like a blown call on someones part, either the CB or the Safety. It appeared that what we saw and Auburn took advantage of, wasn't how it was supposed to be executed. But then, I am just posing questions and speculating since I wasn't in on the gameplan.
Go Hogs Go!

razorbackkid

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 02, 2014, 05:41:21 pm
And if there were a called corner blitz, why stop midway? And if it was a called play, why wasn't the Safety rotated up closer to take away the gap of coverage that the WR found? That looked like a blown call on someones part, either the CB or the Safety. It appeared that what we saw and Auburn took advantage of, wasn't how it was supposed to be executed. But then, I am just posing questions and speculating since I wasn't in on the gameplan.

Whatever the cause.....it wasn't part of any plan.  :)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on August 31, 2014, 10:26:38 pm
It's always hard to execute at the same level when you get tired. That was IMO the main issue no depth = tired first stringers and subs that are not yet at the same level.

With that said, EVERYONE knows we don't have the depth, maybe we should plan accordingly. Our system is very physically demanding.
but I thought we had bet best S&C coach in the world???
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

fakebobholt

Our OC is 1-16 in his last 2 years and 1 game. Lets say we win 2 SEC games this year. He will be a whopping 3-21 as OC.

PorkRinds

Quote from: fakebobholt on September 02, 2014, 05:56:09 pm
Our OC is 1-16 in his last 2 years and 1 game. Lets say we win 2 SEC games this year. He will be a whopping 3-21 as OC.

You lost the bet about Kj. Be a man. Leave like you said you would.

fakebobholt

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 02, 2014, 06:23:14 pm
You lost the bet about Kj. Be a man. Leave like you said you would.

I guess ron white pegged you. You cant fix stupid. Get back to work, I need ketchupnwith my fries. When did signing day move to August. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: fakebobholt on September 02, 2014, 07:22:45 pm

I guess ron white pegged you. You cant fix stupid. Get back to work, I need ketchupnwith my fries. When did signing day move to August. 

Last warning and don't try to act as if you don't know what I am saying. Back off on the name calling or you will be serving fries from a different board for a period of time.
Go Hogs Go!

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Chaney will be back in the NFL after this season.  He's chasing NFL retirement $.  I just hope he doesn't convince Pittman to give it a shot too.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

PorkRinds

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 02, 2014, 07:29:51 pm
Last warning and don't try to act as if you don't know what I am saying. Back off on the name calling or you will be serving fries from a different board for a period of time.

Just so you know I posted that before I promised to drop it.  I'm a man of my word, so I'm leaving it alone.

PonderinHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 02, 2014, 08:20:59 pm
Just so you know I posted that before I promised to drop it.  I'm a man of my word, so I'm leaving it alone.
You could always put him on permanent ignorant.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on September 02, 2014, 08:19:02 pm
Chaney will be back in the NFL after this season.  He's chasing NFL retirement $.  I just hope he doesn't convince Pittman to give it a shot too.
Every single one of you posting in this thread with advice on what should have been done is forgetting one simple fact. Unlike you Arkansas coaches were making decisions in real time BEFORE each snap.

I could be the best play caller on college football if I knew in advance that a play was going to work or fail. I could be the best coach in college football if I knew in advance a decision I was about to make was the right one or the wrong one.

Second guessing coaches after the game is over is about as hard as saying one plus one is two. You know the outcome. They didn't.

Also some of you need to understand that some of those passes in the 2nd half were checkoff's by Brandon Allen because he could see that the running play that was called from the booth was about to be blown up.

Chaney's not going anywhere.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 02, 2014, 11:16:54 pm
Every single one of you posting in this thread with advice on what should have been done is forgetting one simple fact. Unlike you Arkansas coaches were making decisions in real time BEFORE each snap.

I could be the best play caller on college football if I knew in advance that a play was going to work or fail. I could be the best coach in college football if I knew in advance a decision I was about to make was the right one or the wrong one.

Second guessing coaches after the game is over is about as hard as saying one plus one is two. You know the outcome. They didn't.

Also some of you need to understand that some of those passes in the 2nd half were checkoff's by Brandon Allen because he could see that the running play that was called from the booth was about to be blown up.

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

PorkRinds

I love when mike schools people.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Yep and successful coaches make better decisions in real time than unsuccessful coaches.  One of the many factors between losing and winning.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

razorsharptusk

The opponents are doing what many said they would do to stop Arkansas.  Load the box and force us to throw.  We are exposed yet again as a team that can't throw the ball. Could be a long year.  You may run all over these smaller schools, but you have to find balance to beat an SEC team.
GO HOGS!!

PonderinHog

The throws were there.  Gotta catch it, though.  Some more options/routes would help, IMO.

Inhogswetrust

Second guessing coaches after the game is over is about as hard as saying one plus one is two. You know the outcome.

Mike I honestly believe some posters on here would come up with a different answer!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 03, 2014, 11:36:20 am
Mike I honestly believe some posters on here would come up with a different answer!
Give me another chaaaaaaaaaaaance!!!

mhuff

Quote from: steefhog on September 01, 2014, 06:38:20 am
You are exactly right. Chaney might SAY he didn't change the game plan, but he did.

Second half, Auburn defense was blitzing constantly, and putting at least two more guys in the gaps on every play. Plugging the trap play and daring us to throw.

So...we did. Start throwing on first down. And then almost every down.

And dropping passes. Catchable passes.

Someone in this thread said the announcers wondered why we went away from what worked. Well, I heard them plainly say more than once, our passing game was just being ignored by the defense.

Irony? If Chaney had come out and said, "Yeah, we had to go to the air, to get around the blitzes. But our guys can't catch a cold."..... The same people in this thread complaining about a change in game plan they didn't see....would instead be complaining that Chaney was throwing players under the bus.

I always respect your FB knowledge, but I believe if they have 6 people on the line, you gotta bust their chops throwing to open up the run. I remember one year Jimmy Johnson beat our brains out in L.R. When I thought he would run, he passed. When I though he would pass, he ran. Seemed to work pretty well. They beat us about 56-7. They also had over 150 yards in penalties.