Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chaney says

Started by Tick Hog, August 31, 2014, 10:14:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tick Hog

That he had a choice coming out of half to give them a different look or keep running what was working. He said he decided to keep running the same plays that they ran in the first half and they didn't work because of execution.

Smith kept saying we played with great effort which means we weren't good enough. He looked and sounded different in this interview. Welcome to the SEC

Personally I disagree with both of them. I think tackling is all want to and attitude we had neither and missed way too many. I'm not talking about not catching up to someone either I'm talking about having your hands on a body and letting go or EFFORT.

Chaney is just plain FOS

Bubba's Bruisers

The most disappointing thing yesterday was the horrendous tackling effort.  The rest of it was lack of talent, and neither coordinator can do anything about that.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Tick Hog on August 31, 2014, 10:14:55 pm
That he had a choice coming out of half to give them a different look or keep running what was working. He said he decided to keep running the same plays that they ran in the first half and they didn't work because of execution.

Smith kept saying we played with great effort which means we weren't good enough. He looked and sounded different in this interview. Welcome to the SEC

Personally I disagree with both of them. I think tackling is all want to and attitude we had neither and missed way too many. I'm not talking about not catching up to someone either I'm talking about having your hands on a body and letting go or EFFORT.

Chaney is just plain FOS

Too early to make a call on Smith.  I still do not understand why we are nowhere near the WR's when they catch the ball, but I've watched it for years now under multiple coordinators.  It's a mystery. 

I have no idea if it's Chaney or CBB on offense.  I do feel confident in saying that it's going to look similar as long as CBB is the head coach regardless of who the OC is, because it's his philosophy to the core.  And I'll say it again...put two stud WR's out there yesterday, and we probably look like a much more effective team.  I still contend that we need to "modern it up" a bit, and find creative ways to get the ball to guys in space.  Beyond that...I still think we're a few weapons away from being able to truly keep teams off balance with the passing game. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Letsroll1200

Chaney is just plain FOS

I guess it's beat up coach Chaney day! If guys catch the ball we are not talking about play calling today. We have to capitalize on our chances to make plays in the passing games. We don't have a big time player at WR. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 31, 2014, 10:19:22 pm
The most disappointing thing yesterday was the horrendous tackling effort.  The rest of it was lack of talent, and neither coordinator can do anything about that.

It was bad...but it still has a "men among boys" look out there when anyone behind our front four is making a tackle.  They were doing OK, but it got worse as the game progressed, and I think a big part of that was fatigue.  We're small, and lack depth.  That's a bad combination when you're playing a team with perennial top 10 recruiting classes, and even better than that as of late. 

I don't know the answers.  I do know that we have a long way to go on defense still. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Chaney is just plain FOS

It's always hard to execute at the same level when you get tired. That was IMO the main issue no depth = tired first stringers and subs that are not yet at the same level.

With that said, EVERYONE knows we don't have the depth, maybe we should plan accordingly. Our system is very physically demanding.

Tick Hog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 31, 2014, 10:22:18 pm
Too early to make a call on Smith.  I still do not understand why we are nowhere near the WR's when they catch the ball, but I've watched it for years now under multiple coordinators.  It's a mystery. 

I have no idea if it's Chaney or CBB on offense.  I do feel confident in saying that it's going to look similar as long as CBB is the head coach regardless of who the OC is, because it's his philosophy to the core.  And I'll say it again...put two stud WR's out there yesterday, and we probably look like a much more effective team.  I still contend that we need to "modern it up" a bit, and find creative ways to get the ball to guys in space.  Beyond that...I still think we're a few weapons away from being able to truly keep teams off balance with the passing game. 
I totally agree with you teams just don't respect our WR core enough to back them up. Why should they the only ones who can catch are slow. Yea I actually like Smith I just think we have sunbelt talent trying to compete in the SEC. I can't remember the last time we had a decent defense I guess under Reggie.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on August 31, 2014, 10:23:23 pm
I guess it's beat up coach Chaney day! If guys catch the ball we are not talking about play calling today. We have to capitalize on our chances to make plays in the passing games. We don't have a big time player at WR.

I agree completely.  Hatcher had a TD drop, but then he made a really nice play to elude a defender on the sideline on another play.  They show glimpses. 

I agree 100% that CBB's style is play action and stretching the field to give balance, but we don't have a field stretcher.  Maybe someone will emerge.  For now...i think we need to focus on some shorter routes where maybe our quickness can be an advantage, but I'm not sure Chaney really has that creative element.   

1960'sHogFan

Maybe Marshall in the slot to stretch the field among other things?

jgphillips3

Quote from: 1960'sHogFan on August 31, 2014, 10:35:14 pm

I would love to see a two back set with Marshall motioning out of the backfield into the slot.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: 1960'sHogFan on August 31, 2014, 10:35:14 pm

Marshall is (unfortunately for us) a master at running their system. I think it was hard to simulate what he does and get our new guys ready. In the first half we saw a more "traditional" look and we did well. In the Second half, tired, with the depth issues and Marshall running the read, it  was just to much. There were several plays where the D had no idea who had the ball.

UPDATE: And that is what I get for watching TV and posting LOL, I thought you were talking about The barn QB :)

1960'sHogFan

Good analysis,  but I was referring to Arkansas using Marshall in the slot. It would give opponents a lot to think about.

clutch

Can Marshall catch? Don't remember seeing him catch any passes last season so I have no idea.

TNRazorbacker

This, how many passes hit a guy in the hands or between the numbers yesterday and just got dropped?  The schemes were getting people open they just weren't making the plays.

1960'sHogFan

I would think so, but catching a football is a skill that can be learned.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: 1960'sHogFan on August 31, 2014, 10:48:32 pm
Good analysis,  but I was referring to Arkansas using Marshall in the slot. It would give opponents a lot to think about.

I realized that after the post :) was watching a movie.

clutch

Quote from: 1960'sHogFan on August 31, 2014, 11:02:20 pm
I would think so, but catching a football is a skill that can be learned.

I sure hope so, because our wrs need to learn it

redswarmrising

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 31, 2014, 10:19:22 pm

the tackling was bad because players were too focused on trying to strip the ball instead of tackling.i don't understand why they were doing that but that's what i saw

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: redswarmrising on August 31, 2014, 11:06:08 pm
the tackling was bad because players were too focused on trying to strip the ball instead of tackling.i don't understand why they were doing that but that's what i saw

That happened a few times after we were behind, but I didn't think that was the prevailing issue.  I know CBB said that, but it was more than that.  We were tired, a step slow, and only able to get an arm out there instead of actually getting into position to make the tackle.  I think a lot of it was fatigue, and remember...it's football, and after you've been run over a few times, it's human nature to maybe not be so willing to be committed.  I think there was some of that going on too, because we were out sized pretty badly. 

ShadowTheHedgehog

CBB said the same thing after the game.

lefty08

They did start doing that after the delay, when u r down 17 with 9 mins left.u need tos
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Ramtough

Hey Chaney!!!  Tic toc tic toc tic toc..

dandd TD

Watch the game again. We did not run the trap but twice the second half. We abandoned the run. Period. Why? Who the hell knows. We did this last year as well and you people said the hogs can't finish the game. Not when our play caller is calling TWO seperate games. When you are a running team with the three backs we have, the trap play shouldn't be the only damn running play we have. Jwill should get 4 yards on a power or blast or stretch play. We do have a oline that is freaking huge. RUN THE BALL!!!! Keep it simple stupid!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Ramtough on August 31, 2014, 11:16:02 pm
Hey Chaney!!!  Tic toc tic toc tic toc..

Is it Chaney...or CBB?  How do we really know?  If the offense doesn't improve in the SEC this year, we'll see a new OC next season for sure.  Then we'll know how much of it is the OC or CBB.  Until then...who really knows? 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: dandd TD on August 31, 2014, 11:20:45 pm
Watch the game again. We did not run the trap but twice the second half. We abandoned the run. Period. Why? Who the hell knows. We did this last year as well and you people said the hogs can't finish the game. Not when our play caller is calling TWO seperate games. When you are a running team with the three backs we have, the trap play shouldn't be the only damn running play we have. Jwill should get 4 yards on a power or blast or stretch play. We do have a oline that is freaking huge. RUN THE BALL!!!! Keep it simple stupid!

6 people cannot block 9 in the SEC without some threat to go over the top.  When you re-watched the game, did you see those plays where Auburn did not have a single player more than 5 yards off the LOS?  That's selling out...and you're NOT going to run on that in the SEC.  Maybe in an inferior conference, but not in the SEC.   

If we bunched up like that...just to contrast, their big physical WR's would just toss our guys aside at the LOS, and coast down the field for an easy toss and catch TD.  We simply do not have that dimension right now.   

Ramtough

It's a combination of the 2 things IMO. I don't see any way Chaney survives if we are under 500 this year. We saw signs of poor and questionable play calls last year and it continues.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HyperDrive on August 31, 2014, 10:38:53 pm
You guys tried the trap play two or three times in the 2nd half and we had adjusted to it.  It wasn't working anymore.

Half time adjustment when your coaches met?

ChitownHawg

Chaney is just plain FOS

His boss disagrees with him.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

HOGINTENNESSEE

So the defense gives up 600 yards and the only thing Hogville can talk about is the OC?

ChitownHawg

While I agree with you that if we catch the ball it would have made a difference. Where I have an issue is has already been pointed out. He called the trap play once in the second half.

Take the game last year. Gus kept running the same play over and over and over and over... Why? It was working and until you can consistently stop it - you stay with your success plays. Chaney didn't do that which is an issue. From the sound of CBB's voice and the look on his face Chaney best stop changing the game plan WITHOUT  a valid reason.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 31, 2014, 10:25:36 pm
It was bad...but it still has a "men among boys" look out there when anyone behind our front four is making a tackle.  They were doing OK, but it got worse as the game progressed, and I think a big part of that was fatigue.  We're small, and lack depth.  That's a bad combination when you're playing a team with perennial top 10 recruiting classes, and even better than that as of late. 

I don't know the answers.  I do know that we have a long way to go on defense still.

Also going 3 and out didn't do our defense any favors.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 31, 2014, 11:22:26 pm
Is it Chaney...or CBB?  How do we really know?  If the offense doesn't improve in the SEC this year, we'll see a new OC next season for sure.  Then we'll know how much of it is the OC or CBB.  Until then...who really knows?

CBB is a pretty straight shooter and seems to accept the blame when it is his fault. Watch the presser and look at his face. He is not a happy camper with Chaney and he shouldn't be.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 31, 2014, 11:25:43 pm
6 people cannot block 9 in the SEC without some threat to go over the top.  When you re-watched the game, did you see those plays where Auburn did not have a single player more than 5 yards off the LOS?  That's selling out...and you're NOT going to run on that in the SEC.  Maybe in an inferior conference, but not in the SEC.   

If we bunched up like that...just to contrast, their big physical WR's would just toss our guys aside at the LOS, and coast down the field for an easy toss and catch TD.  We simply do not have that dimension right now.   

While I agree with you on the run issue - I ask then what about the passing? When BA went back to pass look how long he had to throw it. The routes were slow developing routes. Then the defense adjusted and began to rush the passer. The obvious thing would be some quick pass routes, but Chaney kept calling slow developing routes which only compounds the issues of a heavy rush.

It is simple. Call a run. Stop it then a pass. Begin to pass rush, then go back to the run or a quick pass play.

You don't abandon the run and go to a full dose of slow developing pass plays where the defensive line can pin their ears back. Chaney made it easy for their defense.

older boar

So the defense gives up 600 yards and the only thing Hogville can talk about is the OC?

Agree totally. They will probably cut that in half next week and the only difference will be the opposing team talent and execution level. The SEC is built on talent and speed. You can not compete in this league on a consistent basis without both in all segments of the game. We have to get better personnel wise on the defensive side and at WR. Personally, I'm getting too old to "wait until next year" after the first game of the season.

hawgXi

September 01, 2014, 06:33:11 am #34 Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:10:11 am by hawgXi
Quote from: Ramtough on August 31, 2014, 11:29:34 pm
It's a combination of the 2 things IMO. I don't see any way Chaney survives if we are under 500 this year. We saw signs of poor and questionable play calls last year and it continues.

you may be right.

some times egotistical OC will see that something is working and then go to their "oh you liked that - just wait & see what else I got" mentality.

imo paul petrino was particularly guilty of this.

and chaney seems to be pretty full of himself too.

as far as the players being "tired" excuse that's being floated:  they were flapping their wings on tackles in the first quarter so I'm not buying in to this.

coach Herbert was leading this team up cleveland street hill all summer.  also making trips up to the top of mt sequoia.

no, they were not gassed in the first half.

Steef

You are exactly right. Chaney might SAY he didn't change the game plan, but he did.

Second half, Auburn defense was blitzing constantly, and putting at least two more guys in the gaps on every play. Plugging the trap play and daring us to throw.

So...we did. Start throwing on first down. And then almost every down.

And dropping passes. Catchable passes.

Someone in this thread said the announcers wondered why we went away from what worked. Well, I heard them plainly say more than once, our passing game was just being ignored by the defense.

Irony? If Chaney had come out and said, "Yeah, we had to go to the air, to get around the blitzes. But our guys can't catch a cold."..... The same people in this thread complaining about a change in game plan they didn't see....would instead be complaining that Chaney was throwing players under the bus.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 31, 2014, 11:25:43 pm

This.  Chaney WAS doing the same thing:  Run until they bunch up at the line of scrimmage then throw over.  But for that to work WRs have to catch the ball.

EFBAB

ChitownHawg

Quote from: older boar on September 01, 2014, 06:32:03 am

The only shot at an upset was with our offense. I felt going into the game it would be hard for our defense to rise to the occasion as CRS was calling his first SEC game, and against a very good play caller.

The offense is in its second year and was playing toe to toe.

I guess my take is the offense is close enough to being SEC ready that it warrants complaining about when the OC abandons the game plan so quickly. The defense has a ways to go, so harder to complain about. Other than the tackling issue as that is fundamental. I think CRS has some teaching moments. He can now say nice going with trying to strip the ball but the first guy needs to tackle and the second guy to strip.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 01, 2014, 07:25:02 am
So, we blame another coordinator?  I guess that's all you can do when the guy hiring them has a lifetime contract.

We must be going with the Mack Brown approach.  Always the coordinator, never the coach.

If we have to switch coordinators - it does reflect on the head coach. While I give him credit for forcing the issue with Ash CBB does take a "hit" for that coordinator's performance.

CBB is taking a "hit" with Chaney's coaching / play calling. Adversity happens - how a head coach responds to this adversity is what matters. CBB is facing some adversity in getting Chaney to follow a game plan that he can live with.

In Remember the Titans there is a great scene where the DC says I will run a great scheme. The HC says within my philosophy as I have never read an assistant's name in the paper after a loss. In the end it all falls at the head coach's feet.

The Texas AD has to take blame for letting Mack continue to fail. I think the NC complicated it a bit though.

MiHogsMi

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 31, 2014, 11:22:26 pm

I think I know.

Let's go with that logic.....

Was it Ash or CBB last season?  We now have a new defensive coordinator and Auburn put up 600 yards on us EASILY.

With that said, by your example.....it seems like it's CBB....
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MiHogsMi on September 01, 2014, 07:44:35 am
I think I know.

Let's go with that logic.....

Was it Ash or CBB last season?  We now have a new defensive coordinator and Auburn put up 600 yards on us EASILY.

With that said, by your example.....it seems like it's CBB....

Apples and oranges. We played Auburn later in the year thereby giving Ash time to adjust to SEC play calling. This was game one for CRS. Also it was season two for Gus' offense.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 31, 2014, 10:30:54 pm
I agree completely.  Hatcher had a TD drop, but then he made a really nice play to elude a defender on the sideline on another play.  They show glimpses. 

I agree 100% that CBB's style is play action and stretching the field to give balance, but we don't have a field stretcher.  Maybe someone will emerge.  For now...i think we need to focus on some shorter routes where maybe our quickness can be an advantage, but I'm not sure Chaney really has that creative element.   
Replay of that dropped pass looks like Hatcher took his eyes off the ball just before securing the ball and looked at the defender.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 01, 2014, 07:46:57 am
Apples and oranges. We played Auburn later in the year thereby giving Ash time to adjust to SEC play calling. This was game one for CRS. Also it was season two for Gus' offense.

Man you gotta give up.  These guys like Al and mi, look at all their post.  They don't miss a chance to take a shot at CBB.  They will turn anything into his fault. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 01, 2014, 07:54:45 am
Or you could say that CRS had months to prepare instead of a week and plenty of tape on what Auburn did last season. 

Plus, CBB brought Schiano in.  I guess we know why he isn't coaching right now.

You are correct he had months to prepare. However, the flaw in your argument is that YOU injected last year's game into the conversation. Don't blame anyone but yourself for injecting a flawed comparison.

Now let me me counter your "Schiano" counter. How many times has Schiano coached against Gus? I look forward to your counter to my counter that was countering your counter that was countering the OP's post.  ;)

ChitownHawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 01, 2014, 07:54:30 am
Man you gotta give up.  These guys like Al and mi, look at all their post.  They don't miss a chance to take a shot at CBB.  They will turn anything into his fault.

Actually it is all in how you approach their posts. Come at them with humor and a solid argument. Then you can watch them twist themselves like a pretzel trying to make a point.  ;D

For Al in particular he usually does have a valid bigger picture argument - it is his examples that shows his agenda.

Speedracer

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 01, 2014, 07:46:57 am

Time to adjust to SEC play calling? That's what film is for.  Does he need time to adjust to Big12 play calling when they play Texas Tech?
Like smites bother me.

Bebop

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 01, 2014, 07:20:55 am
The only shot at an upset was with our offense. I felt going into the game it would be hard for our defense to rise to the occasion as CRS was calling his first SEC game, and against a very good play caller.

The offense is in its second year and was playing toe to toe.

I guess my take is the offense is close enough to being SEC ready that it warrants complaining about when the OC abandons the game plan so quickly. The defense has a ways to go, so harder to complain about. Other than the tackling issue as that is fundamental. I think CRS has some teaching moments. He can now say nice going with trying to strip the ball but the first guy needs to tackle and the second guy to strip.

To add to what you are saying about saying more about the offense than defense, it's harder for the defense to rest/compete when the offense is constantly having 3 and outs. Add that to the fact that we lack depth in certain spots in our defense and we have a bad mixture of things.Also, the offense has more talent than the defense or, at the very least, they have better depth.

So yeah, the offense should get less of a pass than the defense, especially if they are supposed to be the stronger side of the ball.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Speedracer on September 01, 2014, 08:10:13 am
Time to adjust to SEC play calling? That's what film is for.  Does he need time to adjust to Big12 play calling when they play Texas Tech?

So what you are saying is for CRS to watch the game film? Does Gus always call his plays the same no matter what? No. Therefore the game film can only help with the pre-game plan.

Once you are in the gam then the in game adjustments have a lot to do with how well you know your players and how well they know your schemes. To that point Gus has several years on CRS as Gus was OC and now HC for his players. Big advantage.

Inhogswetrust

Chaney is just plain FOS

Chaney is a VERY well respected offensive coach and has been for years. I doubt you have that reputation.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dirty

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 01, 2014, 08:50:58 am
Chaney is a VERY well respected offensive coach and has been for years. I doubt you have that reputation.

+1