Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

what happened yesterday

Started by HVHog, August 31, 2014, 08:54:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HVHog

I still cant figure out how a team with three of the best running backs and the largest OL in the country could rush for 155 yds in one half and 2 yds in the other half.  Something is very wrong with this picture when this is what we're hanging our hat on.  That is imposing our will on the other team.  We went from dominant to HS in 20 min.  What the heck happened?  Auburn is good but they're not that good and we showed we could play with them.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Hogeration

Does the "three headed monster" hurt us in the long run?  Good to keep fresh legs in the game but does it hurt when it comes to getting into a groove?

HVHog

I've waited to read all the comments and articles today before writing anything and this one is a head scratcher.  Multiple players said "we have to learn to play 4 qtrs. instead of 2"  Well duh!  You would think this was learned in PeeWee, not D1 football.  Our WR dropped a couple of balls, but so did auburns Wr's.  There is absolutely no excuse for our OL getting manhandled like we did yesterday in the second half.  None.  I don't know why we abandoned the run, and why didn't our coaching staff make adjustments to what they were doing defensively.  Very disappointing after seeing we could play with them in the first half.  I'm still scratching my head on this one.  This one is on the offensive coaches plain and simple.  Chaney, Chaney, and Chaney.

BobbyE72

Quote from: HVHog on August 31, 2014, 09:10:59 pm
I've waited to read all the comments and articles today before writing anything and this one is a head scratcher.  Multiple players said "we have to learn to play 4 qtrs. instead of 2"  Well duh!  You would think this was learned in PeeWee, not D1 football.  Our WR dropped a couple of balls, but so did auburns Wr's.  There is absolutely no excuse for our OL getting manhandled like we did yesterday in the second half.  None.  I don't know why we abandoned the run, and why didn't our coaching staff make adjustments to what they were doing defensively.  Very disappointing after seeing we could play with them in the first half.  I'm still scratching my head on this one.  This one is on the offensive coaches plain and simple.  Chaney, Chaney, and Chaney.

This is just dumb. Did you watch the game? Auburn was putting 8 and 9 guys in the box in the second half. The dared us to throw the ball and we couldn't get it done. It had very little to do with our offensive line and a whole lot to do with our inability to stretch the field vertically.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: BobbyE72 on August 31, 2014, 09:16:14 pm
This is just dumb. Did you watch the game? Auburn was putting 8 and 9 guys in the box in the second half. The dared us to throw the ball and we couldn't get it done. It had very little to do with our offensive line and a whole lot to do with our inability to stretch the field vertically.

It's disturbing that so many can't grasp this simple concept.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hogeration on August 31, 2014, 09:00:02 pm
Does the "three headed monster" hurt us in the long run?  Good to keep fresh legs in the game but does it hurt when it comes to getting into a groove?

I'm willing to risk it.  Now if we could only make a 3 headed monster at the WR position.

Acehawg

The days of big O-lines and running backs running roughshod over opponents without a passing game are over.  It ended around 1989.  Offensive balance is needed today.  Too bad the PTB's are living in the past, and we have to live with their decision for the next 4 or 5 years.  Oh by the way, Chaney is a joke and should have been fired last year.  His only successful year at Tenner was when superior talent overcame his dumbass play calling and coaching.

urkillnmesmalls

No need to call anyone dumb.  C'mon man, we can have a discussion without that can't we? I agree with what you're saying, but your delivery is abrasive for no reason.  LSU did exactly the same thing to UW last night, and they didn't have an answer either.  You can't run against that many people in the box.     

It was very apparent that Auburn went in at the half and came back out with the impetus to deny us from running the ball by completely selling out on the run. 

We need some guys to emerge as play makers at the WR position, because you're not going to run the ball in the SEC against 9 men in the box, and that's what we're going to continue to see until we prove we can pass the ball effectively.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

redeye

Even knowing that an adequate passing game is necessary, it was still a good question.  I think Bielema even made a statement reflecting that thought.

But for what it's worth, OL size is overrated and I don't believe our OL is even the biggest in the SEC; much less the nation.

alohawg

It's a game of chess- in the first half Arkansas countered them move for move- in the second half Arkansas, nothing, no counter moves, baffling. You cannot sellout to stop the run without exposing your pass defense and if the WR's can't catch send them deep anyway and lob it over the middle to your beast tight end or try a misdirection screen pass and for the love of God, audible once in a while.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: redeye on August 31, 2014, 09:44:23 pm
Even knowing that an adequate passing game is necessary, it was still a good question.  I think Bielema even made a statement reflecting that thought.

But for what it's worth, OL size is overrated and I don't believe our OL is even the biggest in the SEC; much less the nation.

Just keep in mind that they're still learning and developing.  We're still young there.  At least we have the size to compete as they develop and improve as a unit.  That's not the concern IMO.  It's just not a fair fight when we have 6 trying to block 9.  We need some difference makers at WR, and we need more variety of plays to get the ball to guys in space.  We're lacking there IMO.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: alohawg on August 31, 2014, 10:11:22 pm
It's a game of chess- in the first half Arkansas countered them move for move- in the second half Arkansas, nothing, no counter moves, baffling. You cannot sellout to stop the run without exposing your pass defense and if the WR's can't catch, and them deep anyway and lob it over the middle to your beast tight end or try a misdirection screen pass and for the love of God, audible once in a while.

Even Musberger pointed out how many guys Auburn had in the box, and all of the "green grass" behind them.  The problem is...we don't have the WR's that the other teams in the SEC West have to exploit it. 

Case and point...that JC transfer for Auburn that was the #1 JC WR in the nation.  We need a kid or two like that to come in and make a difference.     

lrcentral

If we recruit to be a run heavy team yet cant run the ball when other teams use a defensive alignment to to the run than we have problems. Funny how navy runs not matter what. Hell there is basically 11 in the box against them.

Arkansas is in major trouble if all it takes to stop them is 8 in the box. Recruit to run yet we can't run. Ouch. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: lrcentral on August 31, 2014, 10:27:17 pm
If we recruit to be a run heavy team yet cant run the ball when other teams use a defensive alignment to to the run than we have problems. Funny how navy runs not matter what. Hell there is basically 11 in the box against them.

Arkansas is in major trouble if all it takes to stop them is 8 in the box. Recruit to run yet we can't run. Ouch. 

I agree, except i dont think we are recruiting just to run. 

redeye

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 31, 2014, 10:12:03 pm
Just keep in mind that they're still learning and developing.  We're still young there.  At least we have the size to compete as they develop and improve as a unit.  That's not the concern IMO.  It's just not a fair fight when we have 6 trying to block 9.  We need some difference makers at WR, and we need more variety of plays to get the ball to guys in space.  We're lacking there IMO.   

While that's all true, I'm not sure it explains everything.

I used ESPN to look at the run/pass ratios for each half and it was somewhat surprising.  I used the Play-By-Play tab to sum them up and there were some inconsistencies, because ESPN often reports this information wrong.

1st Half

Run - 21
Pass - 14

2nd Half

Run - 5
Pass - 16

Source - http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=400548398&period=1

I realize we have to pass the ball, but I think we may be putting too much emphasis on doing that during the second half.  If were going to spend most of our practice time on the run game, then we should spend most of the game running the ball.  I'm not against throwing the ball, but if you're struggling to do it, then maybe you should stick with what works?  It's hard to wear teams down in the second half when you're throwing incompletions.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: lrcentral on August 31, 2014, 10:27:17 pm

Navy makes mistakes, because it's a high risk offense.  They have to execute flawlessly, and that rarely happens.  If they tried to run that in the SEC, they would need 5 QB's....and that's hoping that the ones that get injured heal up quickly. 

That's not the same as an I formation Pro set, but you know that.  We ran it fine when they were playing honest, but as I've said from the beginning....the SEC is expecting BB to play Bama style football, but we can't execute anywhere near Bama's level in the passing game, and there's no need for teams to play us honest yet.  Stop the run first...and then see what we can do.  Why wouldn't you do that to us?  Unfortunately, right now we don't get much separation, and drop passes when we do. 

buldozer

We may be young at WR, but it was our Senior WR that dropped the biggest pass of the game

hoglady

Coach B basically said the same thing HVHOG said after the game. His statement was basically we had a game plan that was working but we got away from it in the 2nd half and he wasn't sure why / that's something he'd have to address.
I assume an in depth conversation with Chaney.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: redeye on August 31, 2014, 10:32:44 pm
While that's all true, I'm not sure it explains everything.

I used ESPN to look at the run/pass ratios for each half and it was somewhat surprising.  I used the Play-By-Play tab to sum them up and there were some inconsistencies, because ESPN often reports this information wrong.

1st Half

Run - 21
Pass - 14

2nd Half

Run - 5
Pass - 16

Source - http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=400548398&period=1

I realize we have to pass the ball, but I think we may be putting too much emphasis on doing that during the second half.  If were going to spend most of our practice time on the run game, then we should spend most of the game running the ball.  I'm not against throwing the ball, but if you're struggling to do it, then maybe you should stick with what works?  It's hard to wear teams down in the second half when you're throwing incompletions.

Again, it's my opinion that if an SEC defense is willing to completely sell out for the run, and you can't hit some passes when they do, you're going to lose.  From the day CBB set foot on campus, I've always insisted that we'll have to pass to run.  I'm not wavering on that.  Where we're struggling is, we don't have an effective passing game.  Is that scheme and the routes we're running?  Is it talent?  Is it lack of emphasis?  I don't know...but I do know that if I were the opposing coach, I would absolutely line up and do everything in my power to stop our running attack and force us to prove we can beat them with the pass. 

There was no rocket science.  They came out after the half and did just that.  "Hey...here's our adjustment.  Their guys aren't getting behind us, and they drop every 3rd ball.  Let's stack the box, and force them to pass the ball. 

They did...and we couldn't.  I really thought it was that simple. 

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Hogeration on August 31, 2014, 09:00:02 pm

One thing to consider is that they are different types of backs so we can do different things by interchanging all three. If not we could use them like Bama and LSU has done in the past where they have one/two that are the main go-to guys and are used to wear down the D for then having another fresh RB that comes in and just shreds the tired D. 

Uberanubis

Quote from: alohawg on August 31, 2014, 10:11:22 pm
It's a game of chess- in the first half Arkansas countered them move for move- in the second half Arkansas, nothing, no counter moves, baffling. You cannot sellout to stop the run without exposing your pass defense and if the WR's can't catch send them deep anyway and lob it over the middle to your beast tight end or try a misdirection screen pass and for the love of God, audible once in a while.

I didn't watch the second half, did we even throw a screen?
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

lrcentral

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 31, 2014, 10:42:59 pm
Again, it's my opinion that if an SEC defense is willing to completely sell out for the run, and you can't hit some passes when they do, you're going to lose.  From the day CBB set foot on campus, I've always insisted that we'll have to pass to run.  I'm not wavering on that.  Where we're struggling is, we don't have an effective passing game.  Is that scheme and the routes we're running?  Is it talent?  Is it lack of emphasis?  I don't know...but I do know that if I were the opposing coach, I would absolutely line up and do everything in my power to stop our running attack and force us to prove we can beat them with the pass. 

There was no rocket science.  They came out after the half and did just that.  "Hey...here's our adjustment.  Their guys aren't getting behind us, and they drop every 3rd ball.  Let's stack the box, and force them to pass the ball. 

Slow receivers who can't catch is a great recipe for tons of losses.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hoglady on August 31, 2014, 10:42:28 pm

Coach B basically said the same thing HVHOG said after the game. His statement was basically we had a game plan that was working but we got away from it in the 2nd half and he wasn't sure why / that's something he'd have to address.
I assume an in depth conversation with Chaney.

He can't come out and say it, because there's no answer for the fact that Auburn has more talent and more depth.  It showed up in the second half.  For a few drives there in the first half, it looked like maybe we could play the part of bully and wear them down, and impose our will in the second half.  But then reality set in when they stacked the box, and we were forced to do what we don't do well...pass the ball. 

Maybe some people are right...and we should have stuck with the run even if we were only getting 2 yards, with the hope that we would break a few.  But...had we done that, some of the very same fans would be here on this board saying it was HDN II.  They were a better team, and we got spanked in the second half.  There were some encouraging things going on, but we still don't have all of of the puzzle pieces. 

The question is...will we ever get them under CBB, or any coach for that matter?  We'll know in a few years, because the "wait til next year" won't last after year 4. 

Pigdiana Jones

I never understood why they don't run reverses or counters and such. This has been a problem going back to last year. They run the middle and get stuffed. They run to one side and the whole defense goes that way and they get stuffed. Try running a damn counter when they all go that way. I guaradamntee you it will work if they would just do it.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

redeye

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 31, 2014, 10:42:59 pm

And I completely agree with all that.  But when the run/pass ratio turns upside down in the second half, I have to question if we threw too many passes.  I can understand throwing the ball more when they stack the line, but at a 1-3 run/pass ratio?

redeye

Quote from: Pigdiana Jones on August 31, 2014, 10:55:45 pm
I never understood why they don't run reverses or counters and such. This has been a problem going back to last year. They run the middle and get stuffed. They run to one side and the whole defense goes that way and they get stuffed. Try running a damn counter when they all go that way. I guaradamntee you it will work if they would just do it.

Speaking of last year, I think we do these things in the first half, but not in the second.  It always as if we have a playbook for the 1st, but not the 2nd half, when it seems we'd be trying to pound our opponent's defense senseless.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: lrcentral on August 31, 2014, 10:48:17 pm
Slow receivers who can't catch is a great recipe for tons of losses.

As fans, we have to hope the kids we have on campus will gain confidence, learn what they need to do to improve, and step up their game.  Beyond that, CBB has to convince some stud WR's that they can come in and make a difference, and that we ARE going to throw the ball. 

I'm a CBB fan.  I think he's doing it the right way, and I like the fact that we don't read about our players screwing up weekly off the field.  That having been said, he's not going to be here long if all he can do is recruit great RB's and try to run them against SEC defenses with stacked boxes.   

alohawg

Quote from: Uberanubis on August 31, 2014, 10:47:42 pm

I honestly can't recall one, ?
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

TNRazorbacker

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: redeye on August 31, 2014, 10:57:05 pm
And I completely agree with all that.  But when the run/pass ratio turns upside down in the second half, I have to question if we threw too many passes.  I can understand throwing the ball more when they stack the line, but at a 1-3 run/pass ratio?

Well...we got behind.  When we failed to gain anything on the few running plays we attempted, and Auburn scored on every change of possession, it became a game of "throw it to try to get back into the game."   

What I saw was...they adjusted at half, and stuffed our run.  Had we been able to pass the ball effectively and keep them honest, then maybe the run game opens up some.

Our kids showed heart and fight in the first half, and I just don't think we have the depth and talent to do it for a whole game yet against a team that's the caliber of Auburn.  I think the big question now is...what other team on the SEC schedule can we play toe to toe with for two halves?  We have a tough row to hoe until we get some more development and depth.  I just hope we get a few difference makers and CBB makes it long enough to see it come to fruition, because I think we may see a lot of repeats of what we saw on Saturday this year.  We will compete...but not quite well enough.   :(

redeye

Quote from: Nashtiger on August 31, 2014, 10:59:16 pm
Its really pretty simple - you ran a trap play out of a formation you had not used to date that caught us totally unprepared, until we adjusted

Our Rivals site just put up a short excellent piece where former All SEC safety and longtime NFL LB Will Herring breaks down film from the first half and the second half.

It was a "3x1 bunch" formation where the Fullback/Hback lines up behind the line tight off the tackle, the TE is split out a couple more feet, and the flanker a few steps off him.

The Center and Strongside guard ignore the NT and fire off onto the LBs. The NT is allowed to rush in, where he is chipped from the side by the HBack coming over. The RB takes the handoff and runs off the Hback's outside hip into a huge hole .

It was a very simple concept that worked beautifully. Scouting was good knowing our DLs tendencies. We helped turn a couple of them into huge plays when our LBs ran themselves out of help range and our FS shied from contact.

We told the DTs to slow their rush and limit their upfield penetration to a just a couple of feet behind the line to create an obstacle in the running lane, forcing the RB to swerve, and giving the other DLs time to get off their blocks and make a play. Simple as that, it was totally shut down for a loss every time it was run after that. Apparently, you had no Plan B and couldn't run on a stacked box.

Nice explanation.

It seems we didn't have a plan B, but I'm not sure we even tried running against the stacked box.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: redeye on August 31, 2014, 11:10:03 pm
Nice explanation.

It seems we didn't have a plan B, but I'm not sure we even tried running against the stacked box.

We did...and got nothing.  Then a few 3 and outs later, and Auburn was up 14...then we were playing catch up, which we aren't built to do.  We did it pretty well in the first half when we were fresh, but late in the game is going to be tough with our depth concerns.  I bet we see improvement as the year goes on and the younger guys learn. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Nashtiger on August 31, 2014, 10:59:16 pm
Its really pretty simple - you ran a trap play out of a formation you had not used to date that caught us totally unprepared, until we adjusted

Our Rivals site just put up a short excellent piece where former All SEC safety and longtime NFL LB Will Herring breaks down film from the first half and the second half.

It was a "3x1 bunch" formation where the Fullback/Hback lines up behind the line tight off the tackle, the TE is split out a couple more feet, and the flanker a few steps off him.

The Center and Strongside guard ignore the NT and fire off onto the LBs. The NT is allowed to rush in, where he is chipped from the side by the HBack coming over. The RB takes the handoff and runs off the Hback's outside hip into a huge hole .

It was a very simple concept that worked beautifully. Scouting was good knowing our DLs tendencies. We helped turn a couple of them into huge plays when our LBs ran themselves out of help range and our FS shied from contact.

We told the DTs to slow their rush and limit their upfield penetration to a just a couple of feet behind the line to create an obstacle in the running lane, forcing the RB to swerve, and giving the other DLs time to get off their blocks and make a play. Simple as that, it was totally shut down for a loss every time it was run after that. Apparently, you had no Plan B and couldn't run on a stacked box.

Oh we had a plan B.  It was the throw on your secondary that's nothing special, which you're going to find out fairly soon.  The issue is, we couldn't catch the ball and we don't have any big athletic WR's like every other SEC team does.  Which will contribute to your issue.   ;)   

Nashtiger

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 31, 2014, 11:18:42 pm
Oh we had a plan B.  It was the throw on your secondary that's nothing special, which you're going to find out fairly soon.  The issue is, we couldn't catch the ball and we don't have any big athletic WR's like every other SEC team does.  Which will contribute to your issue.   ;)

WASU carved us up with short passes 52 weeks ago, but we limited the big plays. Our back 7 will be much better than last year's, which is a relief. We really could have made something of ourselves with fewer issues on D last year.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Nashtiger on August 31, 2014, 11:22:54 pm
WASU carved us up with short passes 52 weeks ago, but we limited the big plays. Our back 7 will be much better than last year's, which is a relief. We really could have made something of ourselves with fewer issues on D last year.

Yeah, runner up by 13 seconds is terrible.   ::)   I won't mention the two incredibly lucky plays that got you there, because I'm sure you're keenly aware of them. 

You guys have it rolling right now.  No argument.  Perennial top recruiting classes, and kids that want to come play in Malzahn's system.  Also, apparently they can do just about whatever they want off the field, and still play on Saturdays, which will appeal to some kids.   :P 

If your defense is indeed better, than you really didn't show it against us.  We have what is probably the worst passing attack in the conference, and we managed to get some guys open...we just couldn't execute.  You could have easily hung 60 on us, and had Marshall started...it probably would have gotten ugly faster, because having that added dimension really challenges our still young defense.  We have a long way to go to compete with Auburn...and that's reality.       

Rzbakfromwaybak

We certainly do have a problem with our receiving corp.....dropped passes, etc. It cost us dearly yesterday.  Many of our receivers are young, but we still need to improve in this area quickly.  We have some talent at WR, but not enough experience.  We need these young guys to get in there & learn fast, & show it on the field.

That was not our biggest problem about what happened yesterday.  It was our defense.
Auburn ran up almost 600 yards on our defense.  We didn't stop them often enough, which should be clear after giving up that total yardage figure.  Somehow, we need to improve our pass coverage, & tackling.  We are not going to win many games against decent/good teams, until this is fixed.  We saw the same thing last year.

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

redeye

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 31, 2014, 11:15:26 pm
We did...and got nothing.  Then a few 3 and outs later, and Auburn was up 14...then we were playing catch up, which we aren't built to do.  We did it pretty well in the first half when we were fresh, but late in the game is going to be tough with our depth concerns.  I bet we see improvement as the year goes on and the younger guys learn.

According to the ESPN link I mentioned earlier, we ran the ball 6 times in the 2nd half (not including a scramble by BA).  We suffered one loss and I don't think 6 attempts, over half a game, is enough to say that we tried.

Had we continued running the ball, Auburn would have further concentrated on stopping the run and that would have opened up the pass.  I'm sure that seems backwards, but that's what running teams do, and even though Auburn was stacking the box, you can't tell me that they were not expecting us to pass.  They were daring us to pass and hoping we'd accept that challenge.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on August 31, 2014, 11:39:59 pm
We certainly do have a problem with our receiving corp.....dropped passes, etc. It cost us dearly yesterday.  Many of our receivers are young, but we still need to improve in this area quickly.  We have some talent at WR, but not enough experience.  We need these young guys to get in there & learn fast, & show it on the field.

That was not our biggest problem about what happened yesterday.  It was our defense.
Auburn ran up almost 600 yards on our defense.  We didn't stop them often enough, which should be clear after giving up that total yardage figure.  Somehow, we need to improve our pass coverage, & tackling.  We are not going to win many games against decent/good teams, until this is fixed.  We saw the same thing last year.

I can buy that it's youth and inexperience for awhile longer.  But...after having seen it dating all the way back to JLS's season, I think it's reasonable to assume that we're going to have to see some improved recruiting on the defensive side of the ball to get where we want to go.  That probably only changes when we start winning, which unfortunately means that we're going to have to do it through development and experience.  It's a chicken or the egg scenario. 

redeye

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on August 31, 2014, 11:39:59 pm

Sustained drives help the defense, so the offense didn't do them much help, either.   Our defense isn't great, but Auburn's very good offensively, so I don't think their performance was that surprising.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: redeye on August 31, 2014, 11:42:09 pm
According to the ESPN link I mentioned earlier, we ran the ball 6 times in the 2nd half (not including a scramble by BA).  We suffered one loss and I don't think 6 attempts, over half a game, is enough to say that we tried.

Had we continued running the ball, Auburn would have further concentrated on stopping the run and that would have opened up the pass.  I'm sure that seems backwards, but that's what running teams do, and even though Auburn was stacking the box, you can't tell me that they were not expecting us to pass.  They were daring us to pass and hoping we'd accept that challenge.

Oh, they knew we were going to pass.  And we did.  But...their corners were good enough to hang with our WR's, which made it ineffective.  When we did get open...dropped passes, or BA threw too far to the boundary where we didn't have a chance to make the catch.

Run effectively, pass opens up.  Pass effectively...run opens up.  Passing plays a part in both scenarios, which is why we were so lethal under CBP in 2010 when KD was running effectively, and RM could stretch the field to our WR's.

Hey...Auburn is a great team.  But after seeing TAMU, MSU, and the others in action, I'm not sure who we point to as our break out SEC win without a better ability to pass the ball.  Maybe I'll be proven wrong...would LOVE to be, but I've yet to see a team that can run against a 9 or 10 man box in the SEC.

If we lined up like that to stop Marshall, don't you agree that they would just TORCH us over the top?  The fact that we weren't able to do that tells you that our passing attack is just not there. 

I'm stacking the box all day long against us until there's proof that it won't work.  It would be like fighting Mike Tyson and NOT trying to keep your right hand up to stop the devastating left hook...why wouldn't you do that?       

redeye

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 31, 2014, 11:53:14 pm
Oh, they knew we were going to pass.  And we did.  But...their corners were good enough to hang with our WR's, which made it ineffective.  When we did get open...dropped passes, or BA threw too far to the boundary where we didn't have a chance to make the catch.

Run effectively, pass opens up.  Pass effectively...run opens up.  Passing plays a part in both scenarios, which is why we were so lethal under CBP in 2010 when KD was running effectively, and RM could stretch the field to our WR's.

Hey...Auburn is a great team.  But after seeing TAMU, MSU, and the others in action, I'm not sure who we point to as our break out SEC win without a better ability to pass the ball.  Maybe I'll be proven wrong...would LOVE to be, but I've yet to see a team that can run against a 9 or 10 man box in the SEC.

If we lined up like that to stop Marshall, don't you agree that they would just TORCH us over the top?  The fact that we weren't able to do that tells you that our passing attack is just not there. 

I'm stacking the box all day long against us until there's proof that it won't work.  It would be like fighting Mike Tyson and NOT trying to keep your right hand up to stop the devastating left hook...why wouldn't you do that?       

I can't disagree with any of that. 

Foshodo

Man those three years we could pass and catch were fun...

kodiakisland

Quote from: Uberanubis on August 31, 2014, 10:47:42 pm

Since their safeties where playing 8 yds deep, it wouldn't have mattered.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: Pigdiana Jones on August 31, 2014, 10:55:45 pm

We did run wide a couple of times.  Their linebackers were fast enough to run us down.  Need receivers to catch the ball a few times to loosen up the defense and back them up a bit.  Then you can run, inside or out.

EFBAB

secfan30

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 31, 2014, 10:30:38 pm
I agree, except i dont think we are recruiting just to run. 

Hill? Gragg?

Dirty

Quote from: HVHog on August 31, 2014, 08:54:08 pm
I still cant figure out how a team with three of the best running backs and the largest OL in the country could rush for 155 yds in one half and 2 yds in the other half.  Something is very wrong with this picture when this is what we're hanging our hat on.  That is imposing our will on the other team.  We went from dominant to HS in 20 min.  What the heck happened?  Auburn is good but they're not that good and we showed we could play with them.

It's not hard! Stack the box and make you throw.  Enuff said!

Mike Irwin

It's the elephant in the room that few seem to notice.

Pig Worshipper

Everyone who watched the Houston Nutt years at Arkansas knows you have to have at least a semblance of a credible passing attack in order to have success in the SEC. Our coaching staff knows this but none of them can go out and play receiver. If our guys don't measure up the coaches need to make darn sure while recruiting that help is on the way.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: redeye on August 31, 2014, 11:42:09 pm

We passed 17 times in the first half and 17 in the second half, excluding the sack/INT. In other words, no more effort to do so in the second half than the first, despite the fact that Auburn was crowding the LOS in the second half. I saw that we ran the ball 25 times in the first half, 8 times in the second half.

I wonder why Chaney didn't go to play action, quick-hitting passes either outside or behind the LB's on slants (to hot receivers) to back them off? I know we had some drops by receivers, but had we just hit on some of those for 8 yards a crack, they would have backed off that LOS. But I saw little of this attempted. I know Chaney has forgotten more football than many of us have ever known, but it seems to me that we had opportunities that we didn't focus on.
Go Hogs Go!