Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Tale of Two Halves

Started by Mike Irwin, August 31, 2014, 07:50:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

By halftime of Saturday's Arkansas-Auburn game the Razorbacks had stunned a sellout crowd of over 78 thousand at Jordan-Hare Stadium. The scoreboard read 21-21. Arkansas was on pace to record over 500 yards of total offense and while Auburn had shredded the Hogs' secondary the vaunted Tigers running game had been held to a mere 68 yards.

As the Razorbacks ran by their fans on the way to the halftime locker-room they had every reason to believe that their SEC and season opener would remain a battle in the second half.

They were wrong.
-----------------
To read the rest of this story and to view the video version click on the link below.
http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/a-tale-of-two-halves/13758/qqjxW_BiN0aLCWuXyl9AzA

seasonhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 31, 2014, 07:50:58 pm
By halftime of Saturday's Arkansas-Auburn game the Razorbacks had stunned a sellout crowd of over 78 thousand at Jordan-Hare Stadium. The scoreboard read 21-21. Arkansas was on pace to record over 500 yards of total offense and while Auburn had shredded the Hogs' secondary the vaunted Tigers running game had been held to a mere 68 yards.

As the Razorbacks ran by their fans on the way to the halftime locker-room they had every reason to believe that their SEC and season opener would remain a battle in the second half.

They were wrong.
-----------------
To read the rest of this story and to view the video version click on the link below.
http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/a-tale-of-two-halves/13758/qqjxW_BiN0aLCWuXyl9AzA

per your report..........this is about coaching,,,?

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: seasonhog on August 31, 2014, 08:07:17 pm

per your report..........this is about coaching,,,?

Let's be honest...it's always about coaching.  Otherwise, you or I would be the coach for a lot less money!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

razorbackkid

Thanks for the read Mike.

Auburn came out with much more energy on both sides of the ball in the second half.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

budcampbellfan

Quote from: razorbackkid on September 01, 2014, 01:36:47 pm

Auburn came out with much more energy on both sides of the ball in the second half.
. . . a continuing pattern for the 3rd year coming on.  That's coaching.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

DeltaBoy

Tigger2 made half time adjusted and we didn't.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HognotinMemphis

Ultimately, of course it is about coaching. At some point, you stop blaming everything and anything else (the players themselves, the state of HS football within the state where program is located, the previous head coach and/or coaching staff, competition within your conference, etc...) and focus on who you hired to get the program on sound footing and winning.

I may be less forgiving that the average Hogville poster but probably not less so that the average Razorback fan. When I say I am not sold on Bielema, I think a majority of Razorback fans agree. How can you be sold on him when he hasn't accomplished ANYTHING? Some improvement this year? Heck, I guess so, but how could there not be coming off last season? Hogs are still on a losing streak: 10 games and counting and 9 in the SEC. And the latter losing streak is likely to go on for most of this season if not all.

And salt in the wound sort of from Petrino being back home in Louisville where all is well while the U of A is suffering from his time here. Stinks.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hogfanfromlr

Way to be a terrible leader Chaney.  "It wasn't the calls it was the execution..."  Well, no it appeared to be the play calling so why won't he suck it up and take some of the blame?  Guess he likes that check too much and figures it's easier to lay all the blame some 18-22 kids who are out there playing hard.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: hogfanfromlr on September 02, 2014, 09:12:47 am
Way to be a terrible leader Chaney.  "It wasn't the calls it was the execution..."  Well, no it appeared to be the play calling so why won't he suck it up and take some of the blame?  Guess he likes that check too much and figures it's easier to lay all the blame some 18-22 kids who are out there playing hard.

"Execution" equates to correctable mistakes.  His WRs were playing like crap.  And Chaney doesn't appear to be the kind of coach how makes up stuff for the sake of fans like you.  If the play call leads to a TD or a catchable first down, the play-caller has done his job.

seasonhog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 02, 2014, 09:12:42 am
Ultimately, of course it is about coaching. At some point, you stop blaming everything and anything else (the players themselves, the state of HS football within the state where program is located, the previous head coach and/or coaching staff, competition within your conference, etc...) and focus on who you hired to get the program on sound footing and winning.

I may be less forgiving that the average Hogville poster but probably not less so that the average Razorback fan. When I say I am not sold on Bielema, I think a majority of Razorback fans agree. How can you be sold on him when he hasn't accomplished ANYTHING? Some improvement this year? Heck, I guess so, but how could there not be coming off last season? Hogs are still on a losing streak: 10 games and counting and 9 in the SEC. And the latter losing streak is likely to go on for most of this season if not all.

And salt in the wound sort of from Petrino being back home in Louisville where all is well while the U of A is suffering from his time here. Stinks.

Good post, HM

I am glad we were not playing Louisville last night.

of course it's about coaching...................& the season fans know it.

Sivad

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on August 31, 2014, 08:37:18 pm
Let's be honest...it's always about coaching. 
And talent; and depth.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Sivad on September 02, 2014, 10:07:18 am
And talent; and depth.
And talent and depth are both ultimately the responsibility of the coach to make happen through recruiting.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

lefty08

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 03, 2014, 06:33:37 am
And talent and depth are both ultimately the responsibility of the coach to make happen through recruiting.

Building depth takes more than 1 and a half classes. Open your eyes man, this staff is recruiting at a level we havent seen in decades. In the grand scheme the 2nd half at AU means absolutely nothing. Hell, the 1st half really doesnt either other than the fact we know our starters are much more capable than last year. Yet guys like you continue to open the microwave waiting on a dream season. Its a necessary and painful process, some are too weakminded to handle it, so they tap out
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: lefty08 on September 03, 2014, 06:46:25 am
Building depth takes more than 1 and a half classes. Open your eyes man, this staff is recruiting at a level we havent seen in decades. In the grand scheme the 2nd half at AU means absolutely nothing. Hell, the 1st half really doesnt either other than the fact we know our starters are much more capable than last year. Yet guys like you continue to open the microwave waiting on a dream season. Its a necessary and painful process, some are too weakminded to handle it, so they tap out
Hmmm...interesting. I feel like I have heard this before. Yes, I have. In fact, I heard this from many Hog fans in '83-84, and '90-'91, again in '93-'94, again in '00 through about '05, and now. I'm glad to be hearing this again to avoid the "tapping out" as you call it.

farmhawg

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 03, 2014, 06:49:56 am
Hmmm...interesting. I feel like I have heard this before. Yes, I have. In fact, I heard this from many Hog fans in '83-84, and '90-'91, again in '93-'94, again in '00 through about '05, and now. I'm glad to be hearing this again to avoid the "tapping out" as you call it.
The old motho fans came out quickly.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

jimmur74

14 straight SEC games

Ex-Trumpet

Nobody should be sold on Bielema at this point--positively or negatively; there simply hasn't been enough body of work--especially with his own tools. 

That said, there have been many signs that should make us optimistic for the future.  Whether that optimism will ultimately come to fruition remains to be seen.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Mike Irwin

The stories I post at the top of MMQB are based on the answers to questions asked of players & coaches. There is no speculation on my part.

However I will speculate in this thread that the players & coaches did have answer as to what happened in the second half. They simply chose not to reveal it because it would sound like an excuse.

The O-line ran out of gas, Smothers and Cook in particular. Chaney has said if he had it to do over again he would have substituted more freely.

This week's game will provide an opportunity for the coaches to play a number of rookies that will be a part of this season. As I stated in another thread it's easy to point out in hindsight that some of those players should have been put on the field to deal with the combination of heat, humidity and lack of a breeze on the field. This was Auburn, not Nichols St. I can't fault them for wanting to wait a week to play some of those young men.

DeltaBoy

Thanks Mike and I expect to see a better performance this week.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

razorsharptusk

Rush Yards first half:  151  (Things were going great.  We had rhythm and balance and were scoring)

Rush Yards second half: 2  (abandoned the run, no balance, not an elite passing team) 

We abandoned the run, plain and simple.  I never seen them try to speed sweep Marshall around the corner, as they did in the Miss. St. game last year when he made his debut.  The guy is a game changer with killer speed.  We have bruisers for running backs and the second biggest O line in the SEC, and all we can produce is 2 yards rushing in the entire second half?  No excuse for it at all.  Auburn was playing in the same conditions we were.  They stepped up and responded. 

Coach B. admitted we got away from what was working in the first half.  He stated it would be looked at.  It's pretty obvious by Ark. fans as well as the Auburn fans I've talked to that we stopped doing what was working. I think Cheney got down by a couple scores and tried to play "gunslinger" to keep up and it failed.

Could it be that Coach B and Coach Cheney have two different ideas as to how this offense is going to function?
GO HOGS!!

hoghearted

We 'abandoned the run' when they stacked the line. What worked in the first half, wasn't working in the second.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Sir Oinksalot

Hey, I'm giving this guy five years but ---

...BB seems to have a history of fourth quarter empty tanks, this isn't the first time....I've said all along he is a bit timid
about working his team as much as he works himself and has talked a lot about his players with sickle cell and
the HUNH could cause some of his bigger players distress and that kid who died, then, he won't
substitute on a hot day with no breeze !?!?  It makes little or no sense to SO.....

They sat under those cool "foggers" ,  they had a long halftime and then an hour and a half rest after the third...
He believes they are fresher at the end of the season if he doesn't work them too hard, I disagree...
they are not in good enough a condition to play four quarters...but it's, jmo...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

DeltaBoy

If conditioning is an issue send them to our Strength and Conditioning Coach for some help.

GolfnHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 03, 2014, 06:33:37 am

and it certainly appears that the coach is serious about his responsibilities. He's recruiting and adding depth. In looking at the talent that they are recruiting it is by far more impressive than what we've seen in decades.

It's amazing how the same people say it takes 3 years for a coach to get his system implemented are the very folks screaming that progress isn't satisfactory after 2 years when the talent that was left was, at best, marginal for the system being implemented.

Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

PorkRinds

Quote from: razorsharptusk on September 03, 2014, 08:09:56 am
Rush Yards first half:  151  (Things were going great.  We had rhythm and balance and were scoring)

Rush Yards second half: 2  (abandoned the run, no balance, not an elite passing team) 

We abandoned the run, plain and simple.  I never seen them try to speed sweep Marshall around the corner, as they did in the Miss. St. game last year when he made his debut.  The guy is a game changer with killer speed.  We have bruisers for running backs and the second biggest O line in the SEC, and all we can produce is 2 yards rushing in the entire second half?  No excuse for it at all.  Auburn was playing in the same conditions we were.  They stepped up and responded. 

Coach B. admitted we got away from what was working in the first half.  He stated it would be looked at.  It's pretty obvious by Ark. fans as well as the Auburn fans I've talked to that we stopped doing what was working. I think Cheney got down by a couple scores and tried to play "gunslinger" to keep up and it failed.

Could it be that Coach B and Coach Cheney have two different ideas as to how this offense is going to function?

You think we're supposed to ground and pound when we're down two scores and can't stop their offense?  Glad you're not our OC.

3kgthog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 03, 2014, 08:35:18 am
If conditioning is an issue send them to our Strength and Conditioning Coach for some help.

They had all spring and summer for that. What was Herbert having them do, just strength exercises?

PonderinHog

Quote from: 3kgthog on September 03, 2014, 09:00:56 am
They had all spring and summer for that. What was Herbert having them do, just strength exercises?
They couldn't all fit in the sauna together, so their timing was off as a unit.

GolfnHog

Quote from: hawgon on September 03, 2014, 08:21:13 am
They demand and expect perfection from the themselves, their staffs, and their players.

I believe in Petrino's case that statement has some fallacies.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

PorkRinds

Quote from: hawgon on September 03, 2014, 09:03:57 am
Now wait, you guys have been telling us all year for the last two years that the secret of success and the best defense against a team like Auburn was to ground and pound, eat up the clock, and keep the ball away from their offense.  Now you're telling me that we might have to score points too?

When you're behind two scores and time is running out, you have to score and keep time on the clock. And I love how you're applying thoughts and quotes to me that I've never actually said.   

PorkRinds

Quote from: hawgon on September 03, 2014, 09:10:04 am
Inadvertently, you've hit upon why ground and pound will never work at Arkansas.  We can't stop the teams like Auburn and we never will be able to.  If Alabama can't with all the talent on defense they have, then we have no hope.  We're going to have to outscore them and you can't do that when it takes you ten plays and nine minutes to grind out a score.

Cool.  Now you can move on to Louisville as your new team, since it's pointless to even watch our team play. 

PonderinHog

Inadvertently, you've hit upon why ground and pound will never work at Arkansas.  We can't stop the teams like Auburn and we never will be able to.  If Alabama can't with all the talent on defense they have, then we have no hope.  We're going to have to outscore them and you can't do that when it takes you ten plays and nine minutes to grind out a score.
We stopped Auburn  at least five times Saturday.  Granted, we would have to have played a near perfect game offensively to beat them, but we did stop them several times.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hawgon on September 03, 2014, 09:16:14 am
But not enough, and once they got their starting QB in, that was all she wrote.
The pick six late in the third quarter sealed our fate - again.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hawgon on September 03, 2014, 09:24:08 am
Offensively prolific teams can survive setbacks like that.  Ours can't.  We have to be practically perfect because our style dictates that we won't get as many chances as another team might.
I guess we'll have to agree to agree this time.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hawgon on September 03, 2014, 09:29:00 am
And I think that knowledge is part of the reason for our collapses as soon as anything bad happens.  Our team knows what it is being built to do and can do.  The players know that two touchdowns behind in the second half might as well be four.  They know all that.  So, when something bad happens, they lose their composure.

And the weight of no SEC wins is going to get worse and worse on this staff and team until they break through.  Expect nervous coaching and nervous execution in tight games as it gets to be a bigger and bigger deal.
Like Coach McKay said about his team's execution on offense and defense after a loss, "I think that's a great idea."

ifghog

Quote from: seasonhog on September 02, 2014, 09:58:20 am

Good post, HM

I am glad we were not playing Louisville last night.

of course it's about coaching...................& the season fans know it.
On this team....unless you are blind..it is about a lack of depth. Our 1's are close to Auburn's 1's. Our 2's are no where near there's. That was the difference.

code red

Quote from: razorbackkid on September 01, 2014, 01:36:47 pm

Esp...after we threw 3 times and out in the opening drive....I don't get it.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

razorsharptusk

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 03, 2014, 08:54:43 am
You think we're supposed to ground and pound when we're down two scores and can't stop their offense?  Glad you're not our OC.

After failing while throwing the football, i.e. dropped passes, missed receivers etc.. I'm saying try something other than up the middle with the speed we have in the back field.  Failed pass attempt, failed pass attempt, failed pass attempt, run up the middle...rinse and repeat.  We suck at passing right now.  Run the football.  Auburn was playing in the box in the first half as well.  Didn't matter. 

Why is it that because I am simply calling it as I see it, all of a sudden I'm not the Hog fan you are?  That's where you're wrong.
GO HOGS!!

seasonhog

'BINGO'

we have a winner..........+1

Our coaches did not know that Gus would hurry up the game & wear us out.......

This post is right on the money.

Again........how much are we paying these coaches........"we should have sub more"