Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Safety play

Started by collegestationhog, August 31, 2014, 06:19:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

collegestationhog

I noticed our corners didn't play as bad as I originally thought.  Most of the big pass plays Auburn had came against our safeties.  Turner and Gaines got abused yesterday. Is Auburn That good or are our safeties that Bad.

TNRazorbacker

Auburn is good but we made them look superhuman.  Mostly because we are atrociously bad. This isn't a difficult assessment considering its been the same story for the past several seasons.  Auburn averaged 20 yards a completion. Many of the passes were caught wide open over the center of the field, nobody within 10 yards.

bennyl08

We need Coley inserted into the lineup. Turner looked a lot better than I remember him last year, but Gaines stood out on some bad plays.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ap89

tigers hit a lot over the middle on 3rd down. and hogs were 20% on third down. to me the biggest difference in the game. and our lousy tackling

Letsroll1200

I believe our safety play and our linebacker play is below winning SEC standard. We have to recruit out of it to be able to compete in the SEC. I don't know what happen with Peters but losing him hurt us.

tophawg19

4 of the top 13 in tackles are hogs .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

sowmonella

26 had a rough game yesterday.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

pigskenG

I thought the DB's looked just like last year. New coaches and still look the same. So I'm guessing it's not coaching, we seriously need to recruit some fast, hard hitting, man to man cover DB's, We need some help at DB and LB. I hope we don't go through this year making the other teams QB look like a Heisman candidate. The LB's played well for a while but no depth, started getting blocked out of the play. Offense . . I like the OL and TE's. We need to throw to the TE's more. Why not try Sprinkle as a WR ? The OL is only going to get better. B Allen reminds me of Casey Dick. No zip on the ball and no passes across the middle. Our WR's have to find a way to get open, catch the ball, and block when needed, that's what WR's do.  I watched part of the Wisc - LSU game. Wisc looked a lot sharper than us. Our time will come, I was hoping it would be this year.

Quickdraw

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on August 31, 2014, 10:12:09 pm
I believe our safety play and our linebacker play is below winning SEC standard. We have to recruit out of it to be able to compete in the SEC. I don't know what happen with Peters but losing him hurt us.

I agree! Steve Spurrier made a statement about Arkansas when they hired CBB. He said the only way Brett gets out of this mess he inherited is to recruit his way out of it. And we see it on the field. CBB says he has a plan and if your paying attention you see in work. Year #4 will be a good year for the hogs, just have to be patient.

hoghiker

Coates was covered a few times yesterday. He just went for the ball and got it. Bigger stronger faster.

The Hogfather

Quote from: hoghiker on September 01, 2014, 09:55:50 am
Coates was covered a few times yesterday. He just went for the ball and got it. Bigger stronger faster.

It was Williams.  Coates had 1 catch.  We did a really good job on Coates.

hhicNaychaBoi

Did we have a safety on the field Saturday? Auburn torched the middle of the field at will. Had a ken Hamlin or Kennoy Kennedy been back there it would have been some head ringing going on! Did the safeties make any tackles or deflect any passes? Their play has got to improve, maybe thats the reason the corners continue to play off the los so much. You can't press when you know you don't have immediate help.

LJHOG

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 31, 2014, 10:13:21 pm
which means the defense can't get off the field.  how many 3rd and long situtations did Auburn covert.  I quit counting at 4 and was unable to watch the 2nd half.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 01, 2014, 10:14:55 am

This is something people aren't mentioning.  We shut down their number 1 receiver.  Just at the cost of opening up their number 1 recruited receiver, who by the way made some good catches and plays of his own. 

The best secondary's will have problems covering Coates, Williams, and that other guy that caught that bad throw, all IF Marshall can throw.  He's not a very good passing QB.

hoghiker

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 01, 2014, 10:14:55 am
mmmh. I stand corrected. Whoever it was. They caught the ball.

jackflash

We are going to have to get faster at the Safety position.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: hhicNaychaBoi on September 01, 2014, 10:23:32 am
Did we have a safety on the field Saturday? Auburn torched the middle of the field at will. Had a ken Hamlin or Kennoy Kennedy been back there it would have been some head ringing going on! Did the safeties make any tackles or deflect any passes? Their play has got to improve, maybe thats the reason the corners continue to play off the los so much. You can't press when you know you don't have immediate help.

Add in Steve Atwater

Cure

Quote from: jackflash on September 01, 2014, 12:59:07 pm
We are going to have to get faster at the Safety position.
You mean safeties that PLAY faster.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

reddogjcss

Don't for get that Auburns receivers will be playing in the NFL! We played a very good team

The Hogfather

I saw all I needed to when Gaines slowed up before hitting their WR on their 1st TD.  Had he run through the receiver, we're talking about, at worst, a medium gain.  Instead, he gave the receiver time to catch the ball, come down, then break the attempted tackle (which was extremely weak).  Good safeties don't do that.  Good safeties are headhunters.

hawginbigd1

+10000000

Pathetic safety and LB play is our problem, we are the college version of the cowboys! We suck at those 2 areas and they are just as important as the CB in pass coverage! The CB play is not great but it is light years ahead of the other 2!

Medic821

R. Gaines didn't have a good IMO.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 31, 2014, 10:13:21 pm

Means we have no depth.

PonderinHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 01, 2014, 07:51:12 pm
I saw all I needed to when Gaines slowed up before hitting their WR on their 1st TD.  Had he run through the receiver, we're talking about, at worst, a medium gain.  Instead, he gave the receiver time to catch the ball, come down, then break the attempted tackle (which was extremely weak).  Good safeties don't do that.  Good safeties are headhunters.
Maybe he didn't want to knock himself out of the game again.

daprospecta

I saw this as well.  The Ken Hamlin's/Tony Bua's aren't a dime a dozen but hard hitting is a lifestyle as in they do it every play.  I can't tell you how many times butu would get yelled at practice for putting teammates on their ass. He only knew one speed and play style.   We have some players on this team that will bring the hat.  Spaights(spelled it right?) was hitting hard all game and while our secondary was beat often, I saw players swarming to the football. 

The Hogfather

September 02, 2014, 08:24:38 am #25 Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:41:23 am by The Hogfather
I keep hearing over and over that Coley lights people up when he gets the chance.  I would love to see him out there.  I will live with some mistakes from guys like him because I know they have the speed and ability to make up for them.  That speed and ability also gives him the chance to make game changing plays, whether it is a big hit that jars a ball loose, a big hit that makes the receivers think again about coming over the middle to catch a ball, an interception, etc.

dmaxfan

I'd personally like to see them put Koliss Marshall back on defense. It's beyond idiotic to take personnel from an anemic defense and put them into an area we already have stacked with talent. 
No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.

HawgTide

I was expecting a bit hit there, instead he slowed down and whiffed. We need to start playing the younger safeties more.

azhog10

Quote from: collegestationhog on August 31, 2014, 06:19:28 pm
I noticed our corners didn't play as bad as I originally thought.  Most of the big pass plays Auburn had came against our safeties.  Turner and Gaines got abused yesterday. Is Auburn That good or are our safeties that Bad.
If we are going to single people out lets be better at it. If you go back and look Collins got picked on and burned more than Turner. The players that killed us on D was Gaines the most. His lack of tackling and coverage skills were absolutely horrendous. Collins got beats moded a few times and Washington had one pretty bad miss tackle. Besides that we were okay. We didn't handle the WR screens well at all IMO and we still played too far back. We had a designed CB blitz and Gaines was late coverting the WR and they got a TD off of it. If you are going to be aggressive then your back end guys have to be solid. Ours aren't which really hurts things.

I was also unimpressed by our DLine. I'm sure that part of what we were doing was playing soft to limit Marshalls running ability. However we weren't good at stopping the run at all. Our DE's still struggled to turn anyone up the middle. Seemed Marshall and the RB's were getting to the outside all day. Flowers may need a game or two to get back into shape. He looked very out of shape Saturday. Didn't look at all like a 1st Team SEC guy and nowhere close to a 1st round draft pick.

azhog10

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on September 01, 2014, 09:46:01 pm
+10000000

Pathetic safety and LB play is our problem, we are the college version of the cowboys! We suck at those 2 areas and they are just as important as the CB in pass coverage! The CB play is not great but it is light years ahead of the other 2!
LB's weren't good. But I will say, I saw on a lot of plays our LB's sitting on the outside and pretty much conceding the middle. I am not sure if that was by design and a Safety was supposed to fill the middle, or if we got mixed up between our LB's. But that really hurt us a few times on those option plays when no one was there to step up and take on the RB or QB.

Pigdiana Jones

OP, you say the safeties didn't play as bad as you originally thought, but most of the big pass plays happened against them. Which is it? They aren't bad, or they are bad?
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

HF#1

I say throw the young guys out there and see what happens.  We still have the worst in the country.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hog Fan...DOH!

We don't have a Ken Hamlin or Kenoy Kennedy or even a Randy Kelly on this team.  Let's stop begging for one.  He's not there. 

Tevin Mitchell will add some better depth, and maybe improved play, at CB.  I hope. 

I don't know enough about football to figure out why the middle of the field was wide open for AU receivers.  Other than that we weren't expecting their back-up QB to be that good- or at least thought they would run a lot more rather than pass it 20 times in the first half- so our LBs were playing up, and our safeties are slow. 

Our D had too much to think about when Marshall came in, our O couldn't execute to buy time, and that was the ball game.

Oh, and credit to Auburn for being really good.

The Hogfather

Quote from: dmaxfan on September 02, 2014, 09:37:47 am
I'd personally like to see them put Koliss Marshall back on defense. It's beyond idiotic to take personnel from an anemic defense and put them into an area we already have stacked with talent. 

I'm with you. 

Hoggish1

I believe our safety play and our linebacker play is below winning SEC standard.

I would not disagree about safety play (thus far), but our linebacker play is improved.

HF#1

I went back 4 years to look at our recruiting at this position..   It's quite pathetic...

Daunte Carr
Darrell Smith
Rohan Gaines - Listed as Ath..  Petrino's favorite

Brett Weir

Defante Lowe

Alex Brignoni (no longer playing)
De-Andre Coley
TQ Coleman

K. Hackett
J. Liddell

We have recruited no talent in recent memory at this position.  This folks, is our last line of defense against the big play. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

The Hogfather

Quote from: HF#1 on September 02, 2014, 11:14:33 am
I went back 4 years to look at our recruiting at this position..   It's quite pathetic...

Daunte Carr
Darrell Smith

Brett Weir

Defante Lowe

De-Andre Coley
TQ Coleman

K. Hackett
J. Liddell

We have recruited no talent in recent memory at this position.  This folks, is our last line of defense against the big play. 

Wow....

Cure

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on September 02, 2014, 10:45:54 am
We don't have a Ken Hamlin or Kenoy Kennedy or even a Randy Kelly on this team.  Let's stop begging for one.  He's not there. 
They do, they're both freshmen and hit harder than our current starters.
Team Economics

PonderinHog

Quote from: Cure on September 02, 2014, 11:18:36 am
They do, they're both freshmen and hit harder than our current starters.
When will we get to see them?

jm

Both. Auburn is good and we are that bad. I can't even reember the last time we  successfully defended a pass with tight coverage. It's been like this for atleast 5 years in my opinion.

HF#1

And we currently have 0 committed at that position for 2015.  I hope that changes.

Cure

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 02, 2014, 11:20:33 am
When will we get to see them?
You'll see more of them this week I'm sure, no choice at this point. Safety play sunk the ship last weekend.

I haven't seen a team pick on a pair of safeties in the SEC like that in a long while.
Team Economics

dmaxfan

Daunte Carr
Darrell Smith

Brett Weir

Defante Lowe

De-Andre Coley
TQ Coleman

K. Hackett
J. Liddell

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 02, 2014, 11:15:35 am
Wow....
+1
No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.

Razordiddy

September 02, 2014, 08:32:26 pm #43 Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:45:29 pm by Razordiddy

Daunte Carr
Darrell Smith

Brett Weir

Defante Lowe

De-Andre Coley
TQ Coleman

K. Hackett
J. Liddell

You left a few safety commits off your list:

Eric Bennett
Alan Turner

Kelvin Fisher Jr.
Jashaud Sims
Davyon McKinney

Santos Ramirez

Your point still stands, however.

HF#1

Quote from: Razordiddy on September 02, 2014, 08:32:26 pm
You left a few safety commits off your list:

Eric Bennett
Alan Turner

Kelvin Fisher Jr.
Jashaud Sims
Davyon McKinney

Santos Ramirez

Your point still stands, however.

They must have been listed as Athletes. 

three hog night

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 02, 2014, 08:24:38 am
I keep hearing over and over that Coley lights people up when he gets the chance.  I would love to see him out there.  I will live with some mistakes from guys like him because I know they have the speed and ability to make up for them.  That speed and ability also gives him the chance to make game changing plays, whether it is a big hit that jarrs a ball loose, a big hit that makes the receivers think again about coming over the middle to catch a ball, an interception, etc.

Coley and Liddell have to play a lot these next 3 games.  We have fatigue issues that are killing us as much as talent.  Gaines and Turner have their issues but it gets worse when fatigue sets in.   We need a rotation badly before TT and A&M.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

onebadrubi

Quote from: three hog night on September 03, 2014, 06:50:21 am
Coley and Liddell have to play a lot these next 3 games.  We have fatigue issues that are killing us as much as talent.  Gaines and Turner have their issues but it gets worse when fatigue sets in.   We need a rotation badly before TT and A&M.

Friendly wager as I agree, I think the depth we are wanting comes right in the middle of that time period.  Regardless of safeties, after watching A&M and USC, our game with them will be won or lost on offense for us.  We will have to keep their D on the field for long scoring drives and their O in the sidelines.  A&M is going to score on us, that's all their is to it. 

immahog

our safties are that bad they would not start for another sec team (both 2 star players out of high school )
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Josh Goforth

Quote from: hhicNaychaBoi on September 01, 2014, 10:23:32 am
They cant press because they get manhandled by Sammie Coates, and D Williams and cant run with Louis. The Safetys were too deep because they had to cover the deep outside vertical routes. Put in a bind with the outside threat and a skinny post in the middle. A DC has two options drop linebackers deeper to take away between the hashes and keep the 2 deep safetys (and not be able to rush more than 4 and slower in run fit) or play a single deep safety (which Arkansas did rotate to some) and leave the corners 1 on 1 on the outside.

jbu5

What about J. Liddell? In a scrimmage, he made a couple of good breaks on the ball that he almost turned into interceptions. Would like to see him on the field against Nicholls.