Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cooley and Dean?????

Started by ArkansasBread3, August 31, 2014, 02:58:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkansasBread3

Did they play at all??? If so how did they play? I know Dean did punt return and did pretty good. The only non starter I saw play in the secondary was Toliver who I thought played pretty good and Liddell.

HogPsych

Coley played on special teams, he got hurt in 2nd quarter. Dean only returned punts from what I could see from where I was sitting.

Hoggish1

Quote from: ArkansasBread3 on August 31, 2014, 02:58:14 pm
I know Dean did punt return and did pretty good.

Dean gave me a da  ja vu of Reggie Fish.  Inside the five raise your hand for a fair catch to slow the coverage and LET IT GO...

Rzbakfromwaybak

September 01, 2014, 12:28:54 am #3 Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:49:14 am by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: Hoggish1 on August 31, 2014, 04:30:33 pm

Dean gave me a da  ja vu of Reggie Fish.  Inside the five raise your hand for a fair catch to slow the coverage and LET IT GO...

Yeah, I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw our punt returner was going to try & field the ball that close to our goal line.

Just a mental error.  I am sure he is coached to stand around the 10-15 yd. line.  If he has to move backward to get the ball, signal fair catch, let it go & get out of the area.... so the ball doesn't accidently touch you.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

WBC Hog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on August 31, 2014, 04:30:33 pm

First game of the year, with a capacity crowd, to go with a booming punt that had him moving back a solid 15 yards led to him losing where he was on the field. Oh and not to mention, 11 guys running full speed at you trying to knock your head off.

311Hog

Auburn sure picked on Gaines alot poor kid i feel bad for him.

jgphillips3

Quote from: WBC Hog on September 01, 2014, 12:35:46 am
First game of the year, with a capacity crowd, to go with a booming punt that had him moving back a solid 15 yards led to him losing where he was on the field. Oh and not to mention, 11 guys running full speed at you trying to knock your head off.

Fish was old enough to know better.  Dean isn't yet.  You stated the reasons I have no problem with that in game one.  If he's still doing it mid-season, that's different.

Pig Worshipper

JayBell

Between last year with the linebackers and this year with the secondary, the coaching staff seems to be frustratingly slow at pulling the trigger on older players early in the season.

It was very obvious at the start of last season that Austin Jones and Daunte Carr was so out of their depth, but the coaches stuck with them basically through the first three and a half games to give them a chance.  Peters may be gone now, but he and others were so much better at that position.

We're seeing the same thing now.  Washington was unbelievably bad on Saturday, IMO.  Auburn picked on him and Gaines for a reason.  They're just not that good in coverage.  Neither is Turner.  How do we move a converted cornerback to linebacker but leave Turner in coverage?

For the secondary to improve, the best players have to be on the field.  No matter how much the coaches praise Washington, he's not an SEC cornerback.  Mitchel, Dean and Collins are all better options.  That's why I wanted all offseason for a (healthy) Will Hines to move to safety to help in coverage.  Turner would be so much better off as a weakside linebacker that helps in coverage.  Guys like Coley, Dean and Collins need to start getting their chances, no matter how long the guys ahead of them have been on campus.

Lake City Hog

ARKANSAS DEFENSE

DE-JaMichael Winston OR Deatrich Wise, Brandon Lewis

NT-Taiwan Johnson, Bijhon Jackson

DT-Darius Philon, DeMarcus Hodge

DE-Trey Flowers, Tevin Beanum

SLB-Braylon Mitchell, Daunte Carr

MLB-Brooks Ellis, Josh Williams

WLB- Martrell Spaight, Dwayne Eugene

CB-Jared Collins, Henre Tolliver

CB-Carroll Washington, D.J. Dean OR Tevin Mitchel

SS-Rohan Gaines, De'Andre Coley

FS-Alan Turner, Sleepy McKinney OR Josh Liddell

With Collins listed as the starter, Dean as #2 and Coley as #2 it does appear that we are playing the young guys. We simply cannot continue to play Freshmen every year. We have to have some experience out there, especially in the secondary.

I firmly believe that we would have been better off with Mitchel and Hines on the field. Yes, I know Mitchel was out due to injury.