Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mallet is a TEXAN

Started by Porked Tongue, August 31, 2014, 12:34:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HiggiePiggy

FIRST TAKE on espn is about to talk about mallett going to Houston. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

The Divine Swine

Quote from: seasonhog on September 01, 2014, 10:37:56 am

some people don't like Mallett........seem to be the same people who did not like BP.

I guess they don't like winners.

I loved BP until he put his own desires and above his family and the University and felt like $4million per year was not enough develop the character of our guys and positively represent the school that gave him his second chance. I have no use for BP now. great coach, but had to go due to his poor decision making
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Hogarusa

Backup QBs don't get mop up duty in the NFL for regular season games.  The purpose of preseason is to give your starters live reps and to get your roster to 53.  To suggest that Coach Belichic did anything to hurt Mallett is silly.  These aren't difficult concepts
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Hogarusa

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on September 01, 2014, 10:49:04 am
FIRST TAKE on espn is about to talk about mallett going to Houston. 

Surely nobody cares about what the fools of First Take have to say on any situation

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Hogarusa on September 01, 2014, 11:28:43 am
Surely nobody cares about what the fools of First Take have to say on any situation

They actually said some good things about it.  Didn't bash him at all. 

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: Fatty McGee on September 01, 2014, 10:26:49 am
Maybe. Let's say that at his cost and where he was in his contract he was less valuable than the guy they kept.

This is exactly right!  Garappolo didn't necessarily unseat Mallett as the backup based on his performance alone.  Rather, he was a better value to the Pats going forward.

Let's face it, if Brady goes down, the Pats aren't winning a Super Bowl with Mallett or Garappolo at the helm, so you go with the guy that you can get for less money for more years and free up that cash to be deployed toward another area of need to make you more competitive and keep you under the cap.

kclvr

Quote from: ScottFaldon on August 31, 2014, 12:48:58 pm
NE reportedly got a sixth round pick for Mallett.

Blue light special!!!

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on September 01, 2014, 01:42:09 pm

This is exactly right!  Garappolo didn't necessarily unseat Mallett as the backup based on his performance alone.  Rather, he was a better value to the Pats going forward.

Let's face it, if Brady goes down, the Pats aren't winning a Super Bowl with Mallett or Garappolo at the helm, so you go with the guy that you can get for less money for more years and free up that cash to be deployed toward another area of need to make you more competitive and keep you under the cap.

The Patriots aren't winning another Super Bowl with Brady at the helm either. Not that he's too old, the Pats don't have Super Bowl talent any longer, in my opinion.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on September 01, 2014, 01:55:38 pm
The Patriots aren't winning another Super Bowl with Brady at the helm either. Not that he's too old, the Pats don't have Super Bowl talent any longer, in my opinion.

If their defense is better they could be playing for one again real soon. 

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on September 01, 2014, 01:55:38 pm

You're entitled to your opinion....but I think you're dead wrong..

The Divine Swine

Quote from: Hogarusa on September 01, 2014, 11:14:37 am
Backup QBs don't get mop up duty in the NFL for regular season games.  The purpose of preseason is to give your starters live reps and to get your roster to 53.  To suggest that Coach Belichic did anything to hurt Mallett is silly.  These aren't difficult concepts

so with your logic the backups never get any snaps. I disagree with that logic. Regardless, if Belicheat wanteds more for Mallett he should have played him more over the years was my point.

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: The Divine Swine on September 01, 2014, 05:58:51 pm
so with your logic the backups never get any snaps. I disagree with that logic. Regardless, if Belicheat wanteds more for Mallett he should have played him more over the years was my point.

So, let me be clear here....Belichick should have played Mallett instead of Brady????

The Divine Swine

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on September 01, 2014, 06:37:08 pm

So, let me be clear here....Belichick should have played Mallett instead of Brady????

In mop up duty yes. dude, he had like four passes his whole time there. There was more opportunity than that if Brady was not so afraid of losing his job the way he ended Bledsoe's NE career. He should have been played in more preseason games also.

seasonhog

Quote from: The Divine Swine on September 01, 2014, 06:47:07 pm
In mop up duty yes. dude, he had like four passes his whole time there. There was more opportunity than that if Brady was not so afraid of losing his job the way he ended Bledsoe's NE career. He should have been played in more preseason games also.

You are quite correct............except this preseason, they knew Mallett was gone.......if the kid could handle the back-up.

BB was not going to trade Ryan till he had a back-up.....Houston was after Mallett over a yr ago & during this yr draft.

NE could have got more for Mallett if they would have traded him last yr, when more then one team was after him.

If the kid would not have had a good preseason.....Mallett would be in NE this season, just as BB told everyone that would listen.

Hogarusa

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 01, 2014, 07:48:01 pm
How many backup QB do you see getting significant reps in the NFL even in blowouts? I've seen Manning in the game with three minutes left and his team up 28. It's not Brady, it's the nature of the league.

Exactly, there is no mop up duty in the NFL. 

Boston RedHogs

snoot hoggy hog

I don't know if anyone has noticed but Boston media sure is doing a lot to convince the public that the Patriots took the "cut bait" approach to Mallett. How cool would it be if Mallett becomes the starter and lead the Texans to a playoff victory of the Pats?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on September 02, 2014, 03:10:09 pm
I don't know if anyone has noticed but Boston media sure is doing a lot to convince the public that the Patriots took the "cut bait" approach to Mallett. How cool would it be if Mallett becomes the starter and lead the Texans to a playoff victory of the Pats?

Would be cool, but I don't see Houston going to the playoffs unless they get in as the wild card, which is possible.

clutch

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on September 02, 2014, 07:50:42 pm
Would be cool, but I don't see Houston going to the playoffs unless they get in as the wild card, which is possible.

I saw the division rankings today. They were picked 4th in their division, behind Jacksonville! That's insane. You would think any QB could lead that roster to at least a 2nd place finish in that division. Last year proved that they can't though. On paper, that team is pretty good.

I don't think it will take too much to bring that good out though. If Mallett or Fitzpatrick can just be decent they should do well. They need Foster to be healthy and Be the real Arian Foster again. With Foster, Johnson and Hopkins they have 3 very good weapons on offense. If Graham lives up to his potential that also adds in a pretty good TE. Their Defensive has some pretty good talent too. Watt, Clowney, and Cushing. I like swearinger too. The players are in place to succeed there.

Hogarusa

I don't really see the Texans going from 2-14 to the playoffs.  8-8 would be a heck of a turnaround.  They are in a crap division and those first 5 games (Washington, Raiders, Giants, Bills, Cowboys) are winnable games but playoffs?  Playoffs!? 

Finishing behind Jacksonville isn't all that insane considering they did it last year

earshot

Quote from: Hogarusa on September 03, 2014, 09:06:15 am
I don't really see the Texans going from 2-14 to the playoffs.

They were 12-4 the year before.

JIHawg

For you that follow the Texans what are Mallets chances of starting and when?

oldman1015

I don't really see the Texans going from 2-14 to the playoffs.  8-8 would be a heck of a turnaround.  They are in a crap division and those first 5 games (Washington, Raiders, Giants, Bills, Cowboys) are winnable games but playoffs?  Playoffs!? 

Finishing behind Jacksonville isn't all that insane considering they did it last year
if arian foster is playing they are a little better.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

TexHog188

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Hogarusa

I just read that article and came here to post.  That is quite a glowing review, should please everyone who reads

PonderinHog

Heck of an article.  Who is Brett Kollmann?

Dwight_K_Shrute

3 Things.

1.  I hope Mallett gets a chance to play, prove himself and improve.  The only way to get better is to play.
2.  I hope fans will just wish him well.  No yeah buts or those just waiting for Mallett to struggle in a game so they can say see I told you he would never make it as a pro.
3.  This paragraph could refer to the current Hog QB.

"Receivers dropping passes was an all too common site for the Patriots this preseason. Mallett made every read correctly and routinely put his team mates in the best possible positions to succeed.  Yet time and time again, he was let down by butterfingered pass catchers."
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

DLUXHOG

I've said the same things all along....  good article to read....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

jmpjr

"The American Republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -Alexis De Tocqueville<br /><br />"The greatest advances of civilization, whether in architecture or painting, in science and literature, in industry or agriculture, have never come from centralized government." -Milton Friedman

dacskc

Wow, What a difference it makes to read the original. The Yahoo version was fine, but would've been more informative had they used the GIFs. I'm betting RM takes over from Fitzpatrick sooner than most think.

hoglady

Great article.
Thanks for posting.
I'm so sick of reading the negative stuff - this was a nice read.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Brer Hog

If you like your news straight from the source read Texans Quotes Sept 3rd.  www.houstontexans.com. Lots of Mallet talk

Randy Johnson

People close to Ryan tell me he is on cloud nine. He always hoped he would be a Texan.  Ryan is going to finally get his chance. Will he sink or swim?

clutch

They completely sucked last year, but weren't they one of the preseason favorites to make a run at the SB? They were 12-4 the year before. That tells me the players are there. Something just went terribly wrong last year. A lot of it had to do with the guy they thought was their QB throwing pick 6's more often than TDs early in the season. Not having Foster hurt too past the first week of november hurt a lot too.