Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mallet is a TEXAN

Started by Porked Tongue, August 31, 2014, 12:34:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

PonderinHog

Polecat

I live in Houston. This is welcome news for this Hog fan!
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

AloRaptor

Alright for Mallett!!! hope he got a good contract. :razorback:

AirForceHog

If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

The Hogfather

Porked Tongue

Lots of win and fail in this thread:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=564045.0

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 23, 2014, 10:27:51 pm
I'll admit to not reading all umpteen pages of this thread so forgive the possible overlap of information.

Mallet has had his hopes up to go to Houston this entire offseason.  This was before the Schaub trade to Oakland.

RM and his agent have actively pursued that location almost exclusively.

This info comes from RM's own mouth.

Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 09, 2014, 10:18:11 pm
Even if it isn't today or even before the draft ends, I still think this thing has legs.  Just too much noise.

I base part of this on the fact Mallet has told people he wants out of NE.  You know that talk has gotten back to the staff.  That staff and organization is loaded with Type A's.  Wouldn't doubt that it's for spite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP0MXJAQhmo

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Best place Mallet could have landed to have a shot at starting.  Great news

Porked Tongue

Mallet spent the entire spring telling anyone that had ears that this was his wish.  Glad for him it's happened.

New England is a weird, though successful, organization.

SouthSide Johnny

Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

bennyl08

What took the Texans so long? This was an obvious solution back before the draft even happened. Now they wait for Mallett to not have much time to learn the offense and develop timing with the players.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hogarusa

Well it was fun to speculate about the past 7 months.   Best of luck to Mallett in Houston.  I never thought anyone would be willing to trade for him.  I was incorrect.  Not the first time, won't be the last
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 31, 2014, 12:50:34 pm
What took the Texans so long? This was an obvious solution back before the draft even happened. Now they wait for Mallett to not have much time to learn the offense and develop timing with the players.

pretty sure New England wanted too much up until it was obvious Mallet was going to be 3rd string for NE.

rhog1

Mallett was traded for a 6th round pick. Seems like the Pats really wanted him gone. Great chance for Ryan to get a fresh start.

Uberanubis

true, but better late then never. and look at this way. if you are a Texans fan, you have to feel he might give you shot at a win when other wise it might be a loss with the current starter
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: ScottFaldon on August 31, 2014, 12:52:18 pm
Mirrors the coach in that regard.

Possibly but it works for them, one of the most successful franchises in the League, I remember the old Boston Patriot days..   
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

clutch

Quote from: ScottFaldon on August 31, 2014, 12:44:50 pm
Hmmm .

RT @RapSheet: Why did the #Texans have to trade for Ryan Mallett instead of claim him? The #Cowboys were in talks with #Patriots, too.

Houston saved Ryan's career. I like the cowboys, but mallett would be a dead man behind that line assuming he ever took over for Romo. Until they get some protection they have to have someone with the ability to escape like Romo.

Also the Bills were apparently in the talks too.

clutch

I'd guess that they knew NE was asking too much so they decided to wait it out and see if he gets cut or if they could get him for cheap at the end. Looks like they succeeded. Rumors were that NE originally wanted a 2nd rd pick so getting him for a 6th is probably worth the wait. He won't be able to start immediately, but it won't take him long to catch up.

Hogarusa

Quote from: ScottFaldon on August 31, 2014, 12:44:50 pm
Hmmm .

RT @RapSheet: Why did the #Texans have to trade for Ryan Mallett instead of claim him? The #Cowboys were in talks with #Patriots, too.

I don't really get this tweet, they had to trade for him instead of claim because the Pats didn't cut him. The Pats wanted something in return

HouSwine

Great news for Texans and RM!

PonderinHog

Quote from: clutch on August 31, 2014, 01:01:16 pm
I'd guess that they knew NE was asking too much so they decided to wait it out and see if he gets cut or if they could get him for cheap at the end. Looks like they succeeded. Rumors were that NE originally wanted a 2nd rd pick so getting him for a 6th is probably worth the wait. He won't be able to start immediately, but it won't take him long to catch up.
Maybe the transition won't take too long, since RM and O'Brien have a history.

clutch

Quote from: Hogarusa on August 31, 2014, 01:01:34 pm
I don't really get this tweet, they had to trade for him instead of claim because the Pats didn't cut him. The Pats wanted something in return

Probably referring to why the Pats decided to keep him instead of cut him. There were teams interested so they didn't cut. Think most assumed that he was on his way to getting cut and the texans could snatch him up for nothing.

Quote from: Hogarusa on August 31, 2014, 01:01:34 pm
NE was going to cut him if they couldn't trade him.

Porked Tongue

I believe that from the moment RM become more aggressive to leave NE that it angered the Pats.  They are very authoritative and have a history of dropping or trading key players that shock their fans and own players.  They just did it this week with another player that actually angered Brady.

I just think it was obvious with the way they played RM in the preseason that they didn't WANT it to work.  They didn't want him to get better.  But that created a conundrum in that it was decreasing his trade value.  Ultimately, they didn't care and parted ways.

Eventually, this organization will fall on hard time.  My guess is it's not too far away.

seasonhog

Quote from: clutch on August 31, 2014, 01:01:16 pm

The reason why Houston did not wait is the Bills & Cowboys were after Mallett also.

Coach BB was telling the truth all the time, they were not going to let Ryan go until they had someone to take his place.

Boston RedHogs

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!!

I'm happy for Mallett and that's where I was hoping he would land.  Mallett and Bill O'Brien are a good match

Porked Tongue

Ryan Fitzpatrick has to be a little bit uncomfortable.  Imagine the awkwardness of having someone come in at this stage.

Hogarusa

I would be more concerned if I were Case Keenum.  Someone is getting dropped.  Ryan at least gets $4 million guaranteed and $1.25 million signing bonus

alohawg

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 31, 2014, 01:17:19 pm
Ryan Fitzpatrick has to be a little bit uncomfortable.  Imagine the awkwardness of having someone come in at this stage.

Poor lil' rich guy, bless his heart.....
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

seasonhog

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 31, 2014, 01:10:49 pm
I believe that from the moment RM become more aggressive to leave NE that it angered the Pats.  They are very authoritative and have a history of dropping or trading key players that shock their fans and own players.  They just did it this week with another player that actually angered Brady.

I just think it was obvious with the way they played RM in the preseason that they didn't WANT it to work.  They didn't want him to get better.  But that created a conundrum in that it was decreasing his trade value.  Ultimately, they didn't care and parted ways.

Eventually, this organization will fall on hard time.  My guess is it's not too far away.

They do have a eye for QB's ..........when mallett was drafted they had him as the first qb on the board.

This new qb has done a decent job when other teams did not have him on their radar.

One has to wonder how smart some of these NFL teams are.

PonderinHog

Quote from: seasonhog on August 31, 2014, 01:22:15 pm

They do have a eye for QB's ..........when mallett was drafted they had him as the first qb on the board.

This new qb has done a decent job when other teams did not have him on their radar.

Didn't you call this move several months ago?

EastexHawg

Ryan will end up being a much better NFL QB than the guy with the long name that the Patriots decided to keep as their backup.

Hogarusa

Quote from: seasonhog on August 31, 2014, 01:22:15 pm

The Pats drafted Ryan in the 3rd round and traded him for a 6th round pick.  I don't think the Pats really come off as winners in this deal.

seasonhog

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 31, 2014, 01:24:43 pm
Didn't you call this move several months ago?

I believe Houston & other teams wanting Mallett all the time. the reason they did not have him early is NE was not going to trade him until,

Yes, they got him for a 6 th pick but the play of the new qb let it happen now.

hogblade

Ryan got outplayed in NE by the guy with the long name, and the Patriots have control of Jimmy for a few years. This is Mallett's last year.

I love Ryan Mallett but he could never show the magic there during his opportunities. His accuracy hurt him everytime. I hope he gets his shot in Houston and thrives though!

seasonhog

Quote from: Hogarusa on August 31, 2014, 01:27:41 pm
The Pats drafted Ryan in the 3rd round and traded him for a 6th round pick.  I don't think the Pats really come off as winners in this deal.

A 6th is better then nothing.......Mallett would have been the starter for NE if Brady had been hurt the last 3 yrs, or if it was a differing time in history.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Hogarusa on August 31, 2014, 01:27:41 pm

They got a competent backup QB cheap for 3 years and picked up a draft pick when he was about to get expensive.  Not a bad return on their investment. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

seasonhog

Quote from: hogblade on August 31, 2014, 01:32:10 pm
Ryan got outplayed in NE by the guy with the long name, and the Patriots have control of Jimmy for a few years. This is Mallett's last year.

I love Ryan Mallett but he could never show the magic there during his opportunities. His accuracy hurt him everytime. I hope he gets his shot in Houston and thrives though!

Ryan did not get outplayed.......the reason the new guy got more playing time was to see if he could handle the backup role since this was Ryan last yr.

The Hogfather

Completely agree with all of this.  Brady will get hurt and they will have Garoppolo to fall back on.  He is not the answer. 

I really think their run is about to come to an end.

I LOVE this move for Mallett and Houston.  Hope they start him right away (or very shortly).

Pig Worshipper

It will be great if Mallet can get off the bench and onto the field. He really needs that week in week out, on field battle-testing to take his game to where it can be. He has all the tools but I think he tends to press a bit. If he's able to take the reins at Houston and is given the time to develop, he could become very good.

Fatty McGee

I think it has far less to do with anger and more to do with money.  RM was about to come off his rookie contract.  The fact is if a Brady level QB goes down, the majority of the time the team is going to tank.  Cassell and Aaron Rodgers being the exception, of course.   

So, if the Pats had a rookie that they believed was in the same backup quality as Mallett, and they (nor anyone else) saw Mallett as a potential starter which they could trade for a serious haul, then they had to focus on the cheaper player. 

That's just good sense with a hard salary cap.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

threeNout

Note to Texan equipment manager:

double order receiver gloves,  extra padding.

dacskc

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 31, 2014, 01:03:39 pm
Maybe the transition won't take too long, since RM and O'Brien have a history.

That's what I'm hoping. Hopefully, it's just a matter of him learning different terminology. Sure wish there were a couple of preseason games left for him to work out the kinks. Either way, it's great news during a week of otherwise bad news for former Hogs.

threeNout

So what does Houston's WR corp look like?  have they got any good deep threats?

I hope they utilise RM's vertical game.

Danny J

Quote from: seasonhog on August 31, 2014, 01:48:42 pm

Ryan did not get outplayed.......the reason the new guy got more playing time was to see if he could handle the backup role since this was Ryan last yr.
Yep....

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

Quote from: Hogarusa on August 31, 2014, 01:20:43 pm
I would be more concerned if I were Case Keenum.  Someone is getting dropped.  Ryan at least gets $4 million guaranteed and $1.25 million signing bonus

Reportedly, Keenum WAS cut to make room, according to NBC.
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

Squealers

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on August 31, 2014, 12:51:40 pm
pretty sure New England wanted too much up until it was obvious Mallet was going to be 3rd string for NE.
THIS ^^^^^^^ They were waiting the outcome of the B/U QB Battle.
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

seasonhog

Quote from: threeNout on August 31, 2014, 02:06:59 pm
So what does Houston's WR corp look like?  have they got any good deep threats?

I hope they utilise RM's vertical game.

Yes, they have Johnson the one that wanting to be traded, if  they did not get a good qb to throw him the ball.

This team is only lacking a qb...........they could be very good.......let us hope Ryan is that qb......only Mallett can screw this up.

Squealers

Quote from: hogblade on August 31, 2014, 01:32:10 pm

I do too.  I purchased a game used Mallett auto Hog's Helmet for a gizzilion dollars and I hope he's in the HOF one day ;)
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.