Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

General Observations...

Started by ArkansasI, August 31, 2014, 10:59:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkansasI

I think we're physical, but lack depth. I don't think the guys were the least bit intimidated.

With the exception of two critical drops (I know this seems to contradict the last sentence), the receivers did a decent job. We lack speed and physicality at this position. Either the barners have an excellent secondary, or we have some work left to be done. In all fairness, may be a little of both.

Gus's offense does a great job of exploiting opposing defenses when he has better athletes. When his team is better, he beats you by a bunch. Kinda reminds me of Nolan's basketball teams. I mention this because I believe the Hogs are closer than many of us perceive. A decent two deep is crucial to playing Gus - and we're still a bit short in some areas.

I still get a little frustrated with some of our coaching decisions. Possessions are precious. In the first half we had 3rd and 6 on Auburn's 38. I considered us in 4 down territory - especially when we've shown no ability to stop them.  At that point in the game, there was no reason to believe we couldn't get something done on the ground - we had moved the chains well to get where they were.

Of course, in the coaches defense Auburn had put us in 3rd and 6... and My logic flies a little in the face of the fact we made it to half tied. But it would have been nice to have played to a lead - we had them on their heels in the first half and didn't take advantage of it.

Kudos to the punt team... They covered fairly well. I just didn't see the benefit of pinning Auburn inside their 10. The net 25 yards was not inspiring. We were a 3 touchdown dog on the road with a great deal to gain and little to lose. I would like to have seen more urgency, but the fact that we played conventional football may be a decent message from the staff to our players.

Overall, Auburn plays like a team with athletes recruited during a national championship. The Hogs are having to build more deliberately.  And that pisses me off.

We are getting better. I ain't skeered.

1960'sHogFan

incHOGnito

Quote from: ArkansasI on August 31, 2014, 10:59:14 am
I think we're physical, but lack depth. I don't think the guys were the least bit intimidated.

With the exception of two critical drops (I know this seems to contradict the last sentence), the receivers did a decent job. We lack speed and physicality at this position. Either the barners have an excellent secondary, or we have some work left to be done. In all fairness, may be a little of both.

Gus's offense does a great job of exploiting opposing defenses when he has better athletes. When his team is better, he beats you by a bunch. Kinda reminds me of Nolan's basketball teams. I mention this because I believe the Hogs are closer than many of us perceive. A decent two deep is crucial to playing Gus - and we're still a bit short in some areas.

I still get a little frustrated with some of our coaching decisions. Possessions are precious. In the first half we had 3rd and 6 on Auburn's 38. I considered us in 4 down territory - especially when we've shown no ability to stop them.  At that point in the game, there was no reason to believe we couldn't get something done on the ground - we had moved the chains well to get where they were.

Of course, in the coaches defense Auburn had put us in 3rd and 6... and My logic flies a little in the face of the fact we made it to half tied. But it would have been nice to have played to a lead - we had them on their heels in the first half and didn't take advantage of it.

Kudos to the punt team... They covered fairly well. I just didn't see the benefit of pinning Auburn inside their 10. The net 25 yards was not inspiring. We were a 3 touchdown dog on the road with a great deal to gain and little to lose. I would like to have seen more urgency, but the fact that we played conventional football may be a decent message from the staff to our players.

Overall, Auburn plays like a team with athletes recruited during a national championship. The Hogs are having to build more deliberately.  And that pisses me off.

My response to the punting issue you raise is that when you start playing like that things can snowball in a hurry. When playing the national runner up on the road in the first game of the season, coming off a 3-9 year, you play fundamental football, hope for a few to bounce your way and limit silly decisions and mistakes. We obviously have a talented punter that we can use as a weapon against most. Maybe it didn't workout yesterday but it will pay dividends at some point.

ldfergu

Quote from: ArkansasI on August 31, 2014, 10:59:14 am

Good post.  I agree with everything you said