Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Harris' Two Minute Drill about the loss to Auburn

Started by WizardofhOgZ, August 31, 2014, 12:15:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Torqued pork

August 31, 2014, 03:55:18 am #1 Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 04:24:38 am by Torqued pork
Two rushing yards for an entire half is beyond bad. It's downright scary for this team.

Steef

HognotinMemphis

"Give Arkansas credit. They are much improved over last year. They will win several ball games." — Malzahn

He is right...Nic St, NI (I hope), and UAB.

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hawg IQ

that's what happened last year. Arkansas looks good for a while in games and its like somebody hides the play book. 2 yards rushing, wow !?

Coach needs to collect all asst and check out why this keeps happened.

They were saying before season communication had to improve to get players in spots where they needed to be..??
Hey its not like most of thought we would get beat by auburn and all, but these nagging things like appearing be out coached, you have to keep asking why?

again is there just one approach to a game plan and when the other team jumps to 7-9 people in the box defensively, what then ? Is that not asked ahead of time.  You can't say well I didn't think they would do that?
go hogs go !

mhuff

Pig Worshipper

Good article. Thanks for posting. Yes, the second half performance by the Razorbacks was very disappointing but the coaches will have plenty to work on this next week. I wouldn't want to be in Nicholls State's shoes next Saturday.

redeye

Quote from: hawg IQ on August 31, 2014, 05:05:16 pm
that's what happened last year. Arkansas looks good for a while in games and its like somebody hides the play book. 2 yards rushing, wow !?

That's the thing that concerns me the most.  Maybe we just wore down yesterday, but whatever happened, it seems to be a reoccurring trend.  Last year, we often started out well and then struggled later in the game.  The difference between the 1st and 2nd half is often very dramatic.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: hawg IQ on August 31, 2014, 05:05:16 pm

They were saying before season communication had to improve to get players in spots where they needed to be..??
Hey its not like most of thought we would get beat by auburn and all, but these nagging things like appearing be out coached, you have to keep asking why?

again is there just one approach to a game plan and when the other team jumps to 7-9 people in the box defensively, what then ? Is that not asked ahead of time.  You can't say well I didn't think they would do that?

I would venture to say that when you can really only do one thing well (run), because you don't have the horses to do the other thing (pass), you're going to struggle in the second half of most games with teams of equal or greater talent.  They're going to adjust and push you into your weakness. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

hawgon

If you want to execute on Saturday in the passing game, you need to spend 75% of your practice time working on it. 

hawg IQ

Quote from: Fatty McGee on August 31, 2014, 06:17:33 pm
I would venture to say that when you can really only do one thing well (run), because you don't have the horses to do the other thing (pass), you're going to struggle in the second half of most games with teams of equal or greater talent.  They're going to adjust and push you into your weakness. 
I agree, in all likelihood that's probably what happened. But I did think about screens and rollouts, shoot maybe even a little wildcat ! Get them thinking about defending more than just gut hand offs
go hogs go !

redeye

August 31, 2014, 06:30:45 pm #11 Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 09:34:54 pm by redeye
Quote from: hawgon on August 31, 2014, 06:25:38 pm
If you want to execute on Saturday in the passing game, you need to spend 75% of your practice time working on it.

Is that what every other team does?

Point being that every team must have an effective passing game to some extent, but I doubt that every team spends 75% of practice time working on passing, unless they have a pass-first offense.  Our passing game hasn't been effective for some time.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hawg IQ on August 31, 2014, 06:30:26 pm

I agree, in all likelihood that's probably what happened. But I did think about screens and rollouts, shoot maybe even a little wildcat ! Get them thinking about defending more than just gut hand offs
Can't do what you do not practice.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

BallHog1

Quote from: Fatty McGee on August 31, 2014, 06:17:33 pm
Exactly. Surely we all noticed a lot more Aubie players crowded around the line in the second half. If we burn them with a few caught passes, that loosens back up. We didn't and it didn't.

BadHog

How can this OL break down that badly between the first and second half?
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: BadHog on August 31, 2014, 11:54:47 pm

10 men in the box???  6 to block 10 is pretty tough. 

It's just amazing to me that they could have all 11 guys 5 yards from the LOS, and we don't have a single kid on the team that can run past their corners and catch the ball.  I'm sorry...but it's really that simple.  We have GOT to get better at passing the ball or as much as it pains me to say it, this year could actually be worse than last year.   :(   At least last year, teams thought we might pass it effectively.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 01, 2014, 12:02:00 am
10 men in the box???  6 to block 10 is pretty tough. 

It's just amazing to me that they could have all 11 guys 5 yards from the LOS, and we don't have a single kid on the team that can run past their corners and catch the ball.  I'm sorry...but it's really that simple.  We have GOT to get better at passing the ball or as much as it pains me to say it, this year could actually be worse than last year.   :(   At least last year, teams thought we might pass it effectively.   
If you can see and can count, you saw in the 2nd half that Auburn had at least 8 guys in the box on every play and as you say, all 11 within 5 yards of LOS. I know the coaches saw that too...saw it immediately. So what did they do about it? Apparently nothing that worked given 2 yards of rushing yardage in 2nd half and about 60 yards of total offense in 2nd half.

Laughing Hog

Quote from: BadHog on August 31, 2014, 11:54:47 pm

That's a good question. Maybe they should have a 5 Hour Energy Drink to wash down those PB&J's with.........
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

DeltaBoy

WE gave up on running and the WR got a bad case of hands of stone.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgon on August 31, 2014, 06:25:38 pm

You need to have receivers that can get open and catch the ball.  Our receivers look like a truck has hit them if they just get bumped at the line. You can spend all practice, every practice throwing the ball, but if come game day your little 150lb wr cant get off the line, what good does it do?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Been10Hog

Unless I read report wrong it looked like we only attempted 6 runs in 2nd half. Four by AC for 4 yds, 2 by KM for 12 yds, JW had 0 carries and grand total of 2 yds was because of QB losses and I think AC had one big loss. 6 attempts? We should have kept pounding behind our huge line. If that's what our personality is going to be, we can't quit after we're stuffed 6 times.

DeltaBoy

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on September 02, 2014, 11:24:37 am
You need to have receivers that can get open and catch the ball.  Our receivers look like a truck has hit them if they just get bumped at the line. You can spend all practice, every practice throwing the ball, but if come game day your little 150lb wr cant get off the line, what good does it do?

Receiver should be one of the positions at which a young player, a freshman or a soph, can make an impact.  If we don't have any receivers who can separate or catch the ball it makes you wonder why we aren't recruiting and coaching them up better.

You don't have to be Lance Alworth or Jerry Rice...or even Jarius Wright or Joe Adams...to be effective.