Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Texas Tech 42 UCA 35 final

Started by bigpigpimpin, August 30, 2014, 09:46:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: wupigsuey on August 31, 2014, 01:59:04 pm
Im hoping we can get better pressure with our front 4 than we did last night.
There we go again with the "hopin' and wishin'".
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

wupigsuey

Quote from: HoginMemphis on August 31, 2014, 02:00:31 pm
There we go again with the "hopin' and wishin'".

Well, I guess I could suit up if you want me to.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

scootriteby

Last year there was two teams in the Gulf South that would have given us all we could handle, UCA and the champions of the Gulf South, Henderson State. HSU had some really good players on their team.

Not sure that we could have beaten either of those teams. That might get me some smites, but just telling it like it is.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: scootriteby on August 31, 2014, 02:12:05 pm
Last year there was two teams in the Gulf South that would have given us all we could handle, UCA and the champions of the Gulf South, Henderson State. HSU had some really good players on their team.

Not sure that we could have beaten either of those teams. That might get me some smites, but just telling it like it is.

No, you are just stating your opinion, and it is a bad one.

Uberanubis

Quote from: GlassofSwine on August 31, 2014, 02:13:48 pm
  No, you are just stating your opinion, and it is a bad one.

yeah have to agree, uca was beat up last year injury wise. they were a pretty poor team. not sure what scoot is thinking using them as an example.

Quote from: scootriteby on August 31, 2014, 02:12:05 pm

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

scootriteby

Well, I did say I was not sure we could have beaten either of those teams.  Maybe I should have stressed IMO to those that can't comprehend...lol

scootriteby

Quote from: Uberanubis on August 31, 2014, 02:17:01 pm
yeah have to agree, uca was beat up last year injury wise. they were a pretty poor team. not sure what scoot is thinking using them as an example.
Guess I was thinking of another team with HSU in the Gulf South. Forgive me!

MSMHawg

Quote from: cosmodrum on August 30, 2014, 09:47:36 pm
I'm telling y'all, we are going to manhandle TTech.

Put your money where your mouth is

Uberanubis

Quote from: scootriteby on August 31, 2014, 02:19:15 pm
Guess I was thinking of another team with HSU in the Gulf South. Forgive me!

no worries, you are probably right about a second team. I just know that we would have handled uca last year. they were devastated by the injury bug on defense and offence. I think they did a marvelous job doing as well as they did.

now as long as they stay healthy they are looking like they may make the play offs again this year under a new head coach.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

scootriteby

Quote from: Uberanubis on August 31, 2014, 10:13:09 pm
no worries, you are probably right about a second team. I just know that we would have handled uca last year. they were devastated by the injury bug on defense and offence. I think they did a marvelous job doing as well as they did.

now as long as they stay healthy they are looking like they may make the play offs again this year under a new head coach.
I think it was Harding University, but they weren't on the same level as HSU. And it wasn't the Gulf South, it was Great American Conference...dumb of me.

urkillnmesmalls

HiM we can always count on you for some negativity, and especially for pouring salt in the wound.  Thanks bud...some things never change.  Having said that, I'll pile on.  Someone throw the flag for 15 yards!   

First off, I don't know how much of our issues in the secondary are scheme, how much is experience, and how much is talent.  What I do know is that I've never seen anything like it.  We literally wait for the guy to catch the ball, and then attempt to tackle him.  I don't understand how that will ever work unless the opposing QB throws it with the wrong arm because he feels sorry for us. 

While I want to believe we'll win, I cringe at the thought of our secondary trying to defend that many passes.  We just watched a game where I honestly don't recall one batted ball, or one pass we were even CLOSE to the receiver on. 

I've just seen no evidence that we can defend the pass....none.  I've said for years now that I don't understand why teams ever run the ball on us...there's no need.  Just throw it more than 10 years on every play, and you're bound to complete at least one of your three tries for first down   unless sweat gets in your receivers eyes and he can't see the ball, or a bee stings the QB's hand right as he throws the ball.  It doesn't appear that our secondary has any interest in actually playing the ball. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Augustus

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 01, 2014, 12:21:04 am
First off, I don't know how much of our issues in the secondary are scheme, how much is experience, and how much is talent.  What I do know is that I've never seen anything like it.  We literally wait for the guy to catch the ball, and then attempt to tackle him. I don't understand how that will ever work unless the opposing QB throws it with the wrong arm because he feels sorry for us.   

I think it's just more of a matter that they're wide open, when catching the ball.

I've praised Bielema & Staff for eliminating penalties during their tenure... but, the flip side of that is... it's hard to get called for Pass Interference if our guys aren't anywhere near the receiver when the ball gets to him.

The Secondary and open space tackling has GOT to improve. I completely agree.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Augustus on September 01, 2014, 12:42:18 am
I think it's just more of a matter that they're wide open, when catching the ball.

I've praised Bielema & Staff for eliminating penalties during their tenure... but, the flip side of that is... it's hard to get called for Pass Interference if our guys aren't anywhere near the receiver when the ball gets to him.

The Secondary and open space tackling has GOT to improve. I completely agree.

Maybe I didn't say that very well, but the fact is...our guys are out there playing a zone, but I would liken it to teaching 5 year old's how to field ground balls in baseball.  They get their glove down and do fine when you first teach them, but  you're rolling it right to them.  It blows their mind when they learn that the ball doesn't actually get hit right to them very often, and they have to move their feet to get in front of it.  They just stand there and watch it go to the outfield. 

At times, it looks like our guys are standing out there....stationary, and they don't even think to actually cover the receiver when he's in their zone.  It's just unreal that they can throw the ball between the hashes like that, and guys are just standing there wide open waiting on the ball to arrive.  That simply should not happen...ever.  It's like our guys are columns out there, and all the QB has to do is throw between them.  Seriously...that's exactly what it looks like.  I don't know what sort of scheme that is, but it's hard to imagine one that's more passive or worse. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

gchamblee

Quote from: HoginMemphis on August 31, 2014, 01:18:30 pm
UCA's defense is better than the Hogs'.

You have no credibility when it comes to the subject of football. You should stick to the threads that discuss uniform colors and stadium designs.

cosmodrum

Quote from: MSMHawg on August 31, 2014, 06:57:52 pm
Put your money where your mouth is

Pull your head out of where your ass is, Dale fan.
Go away, batin'

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 01, 2014, 12:21:04 am
HiM we can always count on you for some negativity, and especially for pouring salt in the wound.  Thanks bud...some things never change.  Having said that, I'll pile on.  Someone throw the flag for 15 yards!   

First off, I don't know how much of our issues in the secondary are scheme, how much is experience, and how much is talent.  What I do know is that I've never seen anything like it.  We literally wait for the guy to catch the ball, and then attempt to tackle him.  I don't understand how that will ever work unless the opposing QB throws it with the wrong arm because he feels sorry for us. 

While I want to believe we'll win, I cringe at the thought of our secondary trying to defend that many passes.  We just watched a game where I honestly don't recall one batted ball, or one pass we were even CLOSE to the receiver on. 

I've just seen no evidence that we can defend the pass....none.  I've said for years now that I don't understand why teams ever run the ball on us...there's no need.  Just throw it more than 10 years on every play, and you're bound to complete at least one of your three tries for first down   unless sweat gets in your receivers eyes and he can't see the ball, or a bee stings the QB's hand right as he throws the ball.  It doesn't appear that our secondary has any interest in actually playing the ball.
Upon further review, the player flagged for late hit/piling on was ruled to have actually missed the pile so flag is picked up. No foul.

Very good post, Ur. When there is no pass rush, tends to make your DB's look even worse than they really are. How many times did we sack the Auburn QB? How many times was he even hurried? I recall MANY plays where he literally stood in place like a statue for 4 or 5 seconds, then threw the ball to wide open receiver. Hence Auburn's 73% pass completion: 16 of 22 for 2 TD's and no INT's. If you cannot get pressure, your DB's will be made to look very bad every time.

As for not running the ball at all when playing Arkansas, I said that literally 9 or 10 times during the game to my wife. I saw no reason for Auburn to ever run the ball. They were passing at will. But still, they had about 300 yards rushing, same as passing yardage.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: gchamblee on September 01, 2014, 03:04:57 am
You have no credibility when it comes to the subject of football. You should stick to the threads that discuss uniform colors and stadium designs.
Sometimes, you have to understand the context. Photographers usually are not so great at that. You should stick to photography rather than critiquing posters on an anonymous internet bb when posting on a subject you do not know anything about.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 01, 2014, 11:11:23 am
Upon further review, the player flagged for late hit/piling on was ruled to have actually missed the pile so flag is picked up. No foul.

Very good post, Ur. When there is no pass rush, tends to make your DB's look even worse than they really are. How many times did we sack the Auburn QB? How many times was he even hurried? I recall MANY plays where he literally stood in place like a statue for 4 or 5 seconds, then threw the ball to wide open receiver. Hence Auburn's 73% pass completion: 16 of 22 for 2 TD's and no INT's. If you cannot get pressure, your DB's will be made to look very bad every time.

As for not running the ball at all when playing Arkansas, I said that literally 9 or 10 times during the game to my wife. I saw no reason for Auburn to ever run the ball. They were passing at will. But still, they had about 300 yards rushing, same as passing yardage.

I agree, and I think a lot of that stems from us playing scared on defense.  In their defense, against Auburn it's tough to commit to that, because they run so many different plays from the same formation.  For us to give up a player on a blitz is probably asking a lot due to the assignments that have to be carried out.  However, it's exactly what Auburn did to us, and it was the death blow to our chances when BA was hit and intercepted.  They can afford to take some chances, because we don't have the weapons at WR to threaten much. 

I think we're better.  But...we're better with the players we have who have improved.  They'll improve more next year, and we'll get more depth as we go along.  However, the truth is, we need that ALONG WITH some kids who can come in and make a difference.  See Treadwell at Ole Miss, or that Fr. at TAMU who just took over in the secondary last Thursday vs. SC. 

I truly believe BB is getting us where we need to be in the trenches.  We need a better supporting cast, and I think we'll be a lot better than some people want to acknowledge.  We just have some missing puzzle pieces, which has historically almost always been the case at Arkansas.  Great offense...no defense.  Good on both sides...terrible special teams.  It's hard to explain, but it's my hope that CBB is building it the right way, and we get those difference makers to go with our improved trench play and turn the corner.  I see signs of hope, and now we just have to land a few of those top athletes and stun some people. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 01, 2014, 11:19:10 am
I agree, and I think a lot of that stems from us playing scared on defense.  In their defense, against Auburn it's tough to commit to that, because they run so many different plays from the same formation.  For us to give up a player on a blitz is probably asking a lot due to the assignments that have to be carried out.  However, it's exactly what Auburn did to us, and it was the death blow to our chances when BA was hit and intercepted.  They can afford to take some chances, because we don't have the weapons at WR to threaten much. 

I think we're better.  But...we're better with the players we have who have improved.  They'll improve more next year, and we'll get more depth as we go along.  However, the truth is, we need that ALONG WITH some kids who can come in and make a difference.  See Treadwell at Ole Miss, or that Fr. at TAMU who just took over in the secondary last Thursday vs. SC. 

I truly believe BB is getting us where we need to be in the trenches.  We need a better supporting cast, and I think we'll be a lot better than some people want to acknowledge.  We just have some missing puzzle pieces, which has historically almost always been the case at Arkansas.  Great offense...no defense.  Good on both sides...terrible special teams.  It's hard to explain, but it's my hope that CBB is building it the right way, and we get those difference makers to go with our improved trench play and turn the corner.  I see signs of hope, and now we just have to land a few of those top athletes and stun some people.
Another good post. As you probably realize, every other program in the SEC is improving also. That is my issue with fans who say they see incremental improvement from players from last season. So that is basically a wash. What Hogs need, as you point out, is recruits we take away from other programs who are difference makers. That is a double gain in a sense: we get the player and obviously that player is not playing for any of the other SEC teams where he can hurt us when we play them.

Furthermore, while it can be said that the OL is improving, it can also be said that rest of the team is standing in place. I saw nothing on defense yesterday, or on special teams, that made me think there is improvement in those areas.

I call a spade a spade when I recognize it and emotion typical doesn't factor in for me. Point is, I do not see the Razorbacks being a favorite in any remaining SEC game. Will they upset one of the remaining 7 SEC teams on the schedule? If they can, do you agree they would stand a better chance of upsetting a team they play in Fayetteville or LR? If so, which team will that be: Ala, Ga, LSU or Ole Miss?

If on the SEC road, which team to upset? A&M, Miss St or Mizzu? I know A&M game is at a neutral site but it's about 90 min from College Station and much further than that from Fayetteville.

All 7 opponents are going to improve over course of the season. Unless injuries decimate one of the remaining 7, it's going to be tough to win just 1 or 2 of them.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 01, 2014, 11:42:02 am
Another good post. As you probably realize, every other program in the SEC is improving also. That is my issue with fans who say they see incremental improvement from players from last season. So that is basically a wash. What Hogs need, as you point out, is recruits we take away from other programs who are difference makers. That is a double gain in a sense: we get the player and obviously that player is not playing for any of the other SEC teams where he can hurt us when we play them.

Furthermore, while it can be said that the OL is improving, it can also be said that rest of the team is standing in place. I saw nothing on defense yesterday, or on special teams, that made me think there is improvement in those areas.

I call a spade a spade when I recognize it and emotion typical doesn't factor in for me. Point is, I do not see the Razorbacks being a favorite in any remaining SEC game. Will they upset one of the remaining 7 SEC teams on the schedule? If they can, do you agree they would stand a better chance of upsetting a team they play in Fayetteville or LR? If so, which team will that be: Ala, Ga, LSU or Ole Miss?

If on the SEC road, which team to upset? A&M, Miss St or Mizzu? I know A&M game is at a neutral site but it's about 90 min from College Station and much further than that from Fayetteville.

All 7 opponents are going to improve over course of the season. Unless injuries decimate one of the remaining 7, it's going to be tough to win just 1 or 2 of them.

I agree, but I'm still looking out into the next two years.  I'm not all gloom and doom, because that's unpleasant and there's no more reason to think we won't improve and have some guys emerge, than there is to believe we'll stay stagnant.  We played Auburn, and I'm not discounting that.  We had no chance for some of our young guys to adjust to game speed, gain confidence, or feel comfortable. 

I think we'll play better.  Will we beat some SEC teams?  I don't know, because it's still early and we really don't know how good Auburn is.  However, I'm petrified of TAMU, because they have big physical receivers, and their new QB appears to be able to get the ball to them with no problem.  I thought UGA's defense was going to be horrible, but somehow they managed to lose everyone in the secondary in the off-season and still beat Clemson.  I still think we'll have a shot against them at WMS. 

I could easily give an opinion on each SEC team we will play, but it's still early.  I feel very safe in saying this.  To beat any of them, our secondary play has to improve DRAMATICALLY, and we will have to use our big O-line to impose their will and run the ball with some effective passing sprinkled in for balance.  If we can't do those two things...it may be a repeat of 2013, even though I shudder to think about it, and I HATE IT for our kids out there wearing the uniform. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 01, 2014, 11:50:12 am
I agree, but I'm still looking out into the next two years.  I'm not all gloom and doom, because that's unpleasant and there's no more reason to think we won't improve and have some guys emerge, than there is to believe we'll stay stagnant.  We played Auburn, and I'm not discounting that.  We had no chance for some of our young guys to adjust to game speed, gain confidence, or feel comfortable. 

I think we'll play better.  Will we beat some SEC teams?  I don't know, because it's still early and we really don't know how good Auburn is.  However, I'm petrified of TAMU, because they have big physical receivers, and their new QB appears to be able to get the ball to them with no problem.  I thought UGA's defense was going to be horrible, but somehow they managed to lose everyone in the secondary in the off-season and still beat Clemson.  I still think we'll have a shot against them at WMS. 

I could easily give an opinion on each SEC team we will play, but it's still early.  I feel very safe in saying this.  To beat any of them, our secondary play has to improve DRAMATICALLY, and we will have to use our big O-line to impose their will and run the ball with some effective passing sprinkled in for balance.  If we can't do those two things...it may be a repeat of 2013, even though I shudder to think about it, and I HATE IT for our kids out there wearing the uniform.
Ok. Points taken. I will make this last point here: If the Hogs do go 0-8 again this year, or even if they win 1 or 2 to go 1-7 or 2-6, I believe it likely that any of those results is going to be a huge negative for recruiting, even in-state. Hogs absolutely have to win 3+ SEC games this year or this program is going to be 5 years away from even having a chance to be competitive in the SEC.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: BorderPatrol on August 31, 2014, 08:34:38 am
Whoa, that Central Alaska team really played them tough.

Must have been a good game. Too bad we don't get the Big12 network. I would have liked to have seen some of that game

bp

Yeah man. Central Alaska's team is made out of polar bears, Bruce lee movies and big wangs.
This is my non-signature signature.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 01, 2014, 11:57:58 am
Ok. Points taken. I will make this last point here: If the Hogs do go 0-8 again this year, or even if they win 1 or 2 to go 1-7 or 2-6, I believe it likely that any of those results is going to be a huge negative for recruiting, even in-state. Hogs absolutely have to win 3+ SEC games this year or this program is going to be 5 years away from even having a chance to be competitive in the SEC.

I agree that it won't help.  But, I still think we have players that represent our program well, and a staff that is going about building the right way.  Again, I still believe it's possible to recruit in the 20 range, and rely on kids who will stay and develop, to offset some of the elite talent that some of the other teams have MUCH better access to. 

Arkansas has always been cyclical in football.  We have a good crop of upperclassmen who have developed and learned, and sprinkle in some elite talent at the skill positions that typically comes from IN STATE..and we have a good season or two.  But with either aspect absent, we toil in obscurity.  I have NO REASON to think that's going to change, other than I believe the foundation is being laid in the trenches to a level that will at least set the table for us to make some pretty big strides in the coming years. 

I believe that, because I want to believe it.  I have no idea if it will pan out that way, but we've lost PLENTY of games to Alabama over the years simply because we got manhandles on both sides of the ball.  If we can just get past that hurdle and be on an even playing field, then it's a matter of the next DMAC, Matt Jones, Joe Adams, Atwater, Hamlin, etc. to complete the puzzle.  I believe it to be a solid approach.  We're going to see, because I don't think CBB is going to waiver.  He doesn't strike me as someone who isn't stubborn.   

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 01, 2014, 12:22:35 pm
I agree that it won't help.  But, I still think we have players that represent our program well, and a staff that is going about building the right way.  Again, I still believe it's possible to recruit in the 20 range, and rely on kids who will stay and develop, to offset some of the elite talent that some of the other teams have MUCH better access to. 

Arkansas has always been cyclical in football.  We have a good crop of upperclassmen who have developed and learned, and sprinkle in some elite talent at the skill positions that typically comes from IN STATE..and we have a good season or two.  But with either aspect absent, we toil in obscurity.  I have NO REASON to think that's going to change, other than I believe the foundation is being laid in the trenches to a level that will at least set the table for us to make some pretty big strides in the coming years. 

I believe that, because I want to believe it.  I have no idea if it will pan out that way, but we've lost PLENTY of games to Alabama over the years simply because we got manhandles on both sides of the ball.  If we can just get past that hurdle and be on an even playing field, then it's a matter of the next DMAC, Matt Jones, Joe Adams, Atwater, Hamlin, etc. to complete the puzzle.  I believe it to be a solid approach.  We're going to see, because I don't think CBB is going to waiver.  He doesn't strike me as someone who isn't stubborn.   

I've been a fan of getting Atwater to attend one our camps every year. He could bring some insight on how to play Safety/Linebacker. (Yes I realize he was a safety, but played the position more akin to a linebacker)
This is my non-signature signature.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Quote from: Augustus on August 31, 2014, 01:55:24 pm
Does anybody have a link for the Texas Tech board?  I'd like to mosey on over and check out what they're saying

Probably the most active Texas Tech message board.  There is a long thread already there about the Arkansas game.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=188&f=1650 

Muskliketusk

That's a real laugher. Them boys are clueless. Number one your in the Big XII so you ain't nothing. Hogs are gonna run at will over that weak D and leave em crying. We handled Barns passing QB just fine it's when they brought Johnny pot smoker in that they got us a lil winded. Hope their fans feelings ain't hurt when our boys ain't intimidated by that tiny little half full stadium.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Danny J on August 31, 2014, 01:27:21 pm
I watched the game last night and their secondary is much better than ours and no....I am not kidding.
No they aren't, they were just playing against Texas tech. We played auburn, so yeah, our secondary got scorched. Not a chance UCA has a better secondary than ours.