Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Chaney

Started by gijoejd, August 30, 2014, 09:13:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Quote from: steefhog on September 01, 2014, 06:42:35 am
It would be my guess, as soon as they're healthy, they're in the game plan every week. Gonna be surprised if the depth chart doesn't get shifted a little at receiver.

More excited than ever, with a commitment from KJ.

I think we held many freshmen out to not throw them under the bus at Auburn.  Too hostile environment against too god of an opponent for their first game.  I believe you will see a couple deeper OLine and WR rotations against Nichols st and the next 3 games. Come our next SEC game, I'm hoping a freshman or two are starting, that may be at WR or in the secondary, but I think I couple will be out there.

nchogg

In the first half BA made his progressions and did not hold the ball long. He made quick decisions. It looked like the offensive line broke down too many time in the second half and BA was pressured and did not have time to make his reads. The interception was not his fault, he took one hell of a hit. Marshall changed to Auburn offense. When he started playing both their defense and offense played with confidence. Yes I don't understand why we got away from our run game. So many posters complain that we run the ball too much and don't pass enough. Auburn ran the ball down our throat and was able to get their passing game going. We did not establish the run in the second half and tried to just throw the ball to get back in the game. I hope to see a different this saturday. We won't be playing the #6 team in the nation which will allow us to get some of the kinks worked out before we go back to the meat of our schedule. I feel the staff is just as unhappy as the fans are and will get things corrected. Go Hogs!

HogFanatic

I have been super critical of the guy for awhile now, but I don't think yesterday's loss had anything to do with offensive play calling.

Guys, Arkansas SHOULD have beaten Alabama yesterday, and that is saying a lot considering the way they junk punched us these last two years. Arkansas is on the right track right now.

1) Fumble at the damn goal line and give Alabama the ball at their 20.
2) A missed PAT.

If those two things hadn't happened, Arkansas would be the talk of the entire country right now for having beaten an Alabama team that was bent on redeeming their loss to Ole Miss. Arkansas would be ranked today.

Now I don't know if Chaney is the guy or not for the long haul, but yesterday is not on him. I could see that offensive plan coming a mile away, and for the most part it worked. Arkansas was NOT going to just run over Alabama. Alabama has more stars on their third string than we have on our first and they were ALL recruited to run smashmouth ball. Arkansas had to try and mix it up and they did it well enough to win that game yesterday.

I know it sucks to lose another game, but I really think it will be easier sailing for this team from here out.

Arkansas will beat Georgia this weekend in Little Rock.

Woo Pig.

Hogfan1660

One thing for sure is that our passing game is still the best kept secret. I wonder when we will finally get to see it in action?

HogFanatic

Quote from: Hogfan1660 on October 12, 2014, 08:58:41 am
One thing for sure is that our passing game is still the best kept secret. I wonder when we will finally get to see it in action?

Brandon Allen had a great game yesterday.

TheGreatHogsby

HogFanatic

Quote from: TheGreatHogsby on October 12, 2014, 09:04:04 am
  LOL Ashley.

What more could you expect from the guy with conditions the way they were yesterday. Both quarterbacks had balls sailing on them because of the H2O that was prevalent all over the place.
People couldn't hold on to the ball even if they had it in their damn hands (see the goal line fumble that was the difference in the game).

All things considered, 250 yards passing is pretty good.

Hogfan1660

That's what I keep hearing but I guess we have different opinions of a great game. Let's play a good 4th quarter and then reevaluate the greatness of our QB. Apparently 2 weeks of practicing the perfect 4th quarter didn't help much with the offense. The defense played lights out all game and deserve some great recognition.

HogFanatic

Quote from: Hogfan1660 on October 12, 2014, 09:08:51 am
That's what I keep hearing but I guess we have different opinions of a great game. Let's play a good 4th quarter and then reevaluate the greatness of our QB. Apparently 2 weeks of practicing the perfect 4th quarter didn't help much with the offense. The defense played lights out all game and deserve some great recognition.

I think some people have unrealistic expectations.
We don't have Tyler Wilson, Ryan Mallett, or Bobby Petrino anymore.

The days of 500 yard passing games are gone.

Jek Tono Porkins

BA had a good game but I just wonder about his demeanor in the 4th quarter. That didn't look like a qb that was confident. But yes, playcalling was not a problem yesterday. Playcalling is overrated.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

tophawg19

BA didn't have a good game . he constantly over threw and under threw our WRS  . 20 of 41 is not acceptable . especially with open wr's . if he puts more air under some of his mid range balls and just throws the deep balls farther , this game wasn't close . he allowed bamas secondary to recover and make plays
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hogfan1660

We don't need 500 yards passing and I'm big fan of the style of football that we are running. Everyone is complaining about the lack of execution on drives that matter especially the 2 minute Drill. It doesn't matter if you throw for 500 yards but it does matter when you need to make some critical completions to win the game. That's what I'm concerned about.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on October 12, 2014, 09:01:59 am

He had some great moments.  He also had some shaky moments.  Overall he played well enough to beat Alabama, and that's impressive by itself.

I liked the way Chaney involved the FB in play action yesterday.  That's a staple of the style of offense Bielema says he wants to run, and it caught Alabama flat footed.

Talk about a game of inches.  If Kody Walker holds onto the ball for a few more inches, we probably win.  If Johnathan Allen doesn't get a fingernail on the extra point attempt, we probably go to overtime.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

TheGreatHogsby

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on October 12, 2014, 09:06:52 am
What more could you expect from the guy with conditions the way they were yesterday. Both quarterbacks had balls sailing on them because of the H2O that was prevalent all over the place.
People couldn't hold on to the ball even if they had it in their damn hands (see the goal line fumble that was the difference in the game).

All things considered, 250 yards passing is pretty good.
How about that pick He threw in that 4th Q? I am just not a fan of BA.

rude1

When we need a drive to win, we come up short. When we need a first down to keep the ball to win, we come up short. That is when you want your OC to be at his best, when it's winning time, thus far Chaney and the offense has failed repeatedly at those opportunities.

HogFanatic

Quote from: TheGreatHogsby on October 12, 2014, 09:17:29 am

You and my dad both.

It's ok. You can never please everybody.

ballz2thewall

i thought cheney/BA did fine yesterday.  my comment to allen is that he's not a general, rallying the team.  its not just in the 4th quarter but all game. 
The rest of the frog.

HogFanatic

Guys, it was freakin' Alabama! One of the best teams in the country. Not only this year, but over the last decade.

You MUST capitalize on ANY mistake that Alabama makes.
You CANNOT FUMBLE the ball at the goal line and expect to win.
When you play a team that is LOADED with 5* talent, they are GOING to make a play eventually.
We left at least 11 points on the field yesterday, and in the end they made a play and picked Allen. What is that, his second all year long?

ricepig

Quote from: TheGreatHogsby on October 12, 2014, 09:17:29 am

Great scramble and read, and just a tad under thrown and nice play by the safety. People were complaining he doesn't put enough air under his longer throws, he simply said after the game he didn't put enough on it, happens. The QB play didn't beat us, mistakes and execution did.

TheGreatHogsby

Quote from: ricepig on October 12, 2014, 09:22:59 am
Great scramble and read, and just a tad under thrown and nice play by the safety. People were complaining he doesn't put enough air under his longer throws, he simply said after the game he didn't put enough on it, happens. The QB play didn't beat us, mistakes and execution did.
It's BA,Offense. They lost us the game. Defense played great last night.

bpoecell

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on October 12, 2014, 09:22:22 am
Guys, it was freakin' Alabama! One of the best teams in the country. Not only this year, but over the last decade.

You MUST capitalize on ANY mistake that Alabama makes.
You CANNOT FUMBLE the ball at the goal line and expect to win.
When you play a team that is LOADED with 5* talent, they are GOING to make a play eventually.
We left at least 11 points on the field yesterday, and in the end they made a play and picked Allen. What is that, his second all year long?

All of this. Miss beat them because they capitalized on their special teams turnovers. We lost because we didn't.

ricepig

Quote from: TheGreatHogsby on October 12, 2014, 09:25:52 am
It's BA,Offense. They lost us the game. Defense played great last night.

Did he fumble, did he snap it too high, did he drive his extra point too low? I'll agree the defense played great, but QB play wasn't the reason for the loss.

farmhawg

What were you watching? The kid loves this program but he is not the answer.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on October 12, 2014, 09:19:18 am
You and my dad both.

It's ok. You can never please everybody.

I usually agree with you Schaeffer, you know that.

However I think the play calling was mediocre at best, and Brandon was OK.

He does not have the arm strength, leadership, or football IQ to take this team to the next level IMO.

The completed passes usually involved BA locking on to one man, like usual, and throwing it no matter what. His arm strength is mediocre, certainly not sniffing the league. And I just dont see that "We are gonna win, lets do this" mentality. Just dont see it.

We should all be looking forward to the QB competition in the spring. And if there is a new OC, that would be a bonus.

atekido

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on October 12, 2014, 08:54:48 am
I have been super critical of the guy for awhile now, but I don't think yesterday's loss had anything to do with offensive play calling.

Guys, Arkansas SHOULD have beaten Alabama yesterday, and that is saying a lot considering the way they junk punched us these last two years. Arkansas is on the right track right now.

2) A missed PAT.

If those two things hadn't happened, Arkansas would be the talk of the entire country right now for having beaten an Alabama team that was bent on redeeming their loss to Ole Miss. Arkansas would be ranked today.

Now I don't know if Chaney is the guy or not for the long haul, but yesterday is not on him. I could see that offensive plan coming a mile away, and for the most part it worked. Arkansas was NOT going to just run over Alabama. Alabama has more stars on their third string than we have on our first and they were ALL recruited to run smashmouth ball. Arkansas had to try and mix it up and they did it well enough to win that game yesterday.

I know it sucks to lose another game, but I really think it will be easier sailing for this team from here out.

Woo Pig.

We could not move the ball in the 4th and got competently shutdown on our last two drives. 

Harleigh Hog

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on October 12, 2014, 09:55:19 am
I usually agree with you Schaeffer, you know that.

However I think the play calling was mediocre at best, and Brandon was OK.

He does not have the arm strength, leadership, or football IQ to take this team to the next level IMO.

The completed passes usually involved BA locking on to one man, like usual, and throwing it no matter what. His arm strength is mediocre, certainly not sniffing the league. And I just dont see that "We are gonna win, lets do this" mentality. Just dont see it.

We should all be looking forward to the QB competition in the spring. And if there is a new OC, that would be a bonus.

Amen, hallelujah!

BA is like a fat girl with a really pretty face and great personality. So close yet so far...

I really like the kid and I think that no one wants to shed this recent curse no more than he does. He was brought in under horrible circumstances and I just don't think he has the mojo to climb out of the hole.

fakebobholt

We had 3 possesions in the last 10 minutes or so and we ran it 1 or two times. Thats on the OC

Pigstie

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 12, 2014, 09:16:23 am
He had some great moments.  He also had some shaky moments.  Overall he played well enough to beat Alabama, and that's impressive by itself.

I liked the way Chaney involved the FB in play action yesterday.  That's a staple of the style of offense Bielema says he wants to run, and it caught Alabama flat footed.

Talk about a game of inches.  If Kody Walker holds onto the ball for a few more inches, we probably win.  If Johnathan Allen doesn't get a fingernail on the extra point attempt, we probably go to overtime.
If he would have played well enough to beat bama, we would have beat bama.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

bville_hog

Chaney doesn't get it done in the 4th quarter REPEATEDLY! And worse of all it seems he never learns from his mistakes!

shotgun7

IMHO its not that Chaney is a bad play caller, he is usually pretty decent through the first half. But its late in the game, its like he falls apart and tries to turn our offense into an air raid system on a whim. We don't have the players for that, and its not gonna work!

Dirty

Some of you have no idea what you are watching.  The reason we didn't run that much in the game is because Alabama's front seven is real good. 

If we run too much, we need to pass more.  If we pass too much, we need to run more.  Make up your minds. 

farmhawg

We need to move the ball and score points no matter how we do it. We are incapable of scoring or moving the ball in the 4th.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Dirty on October 12, 2014, 10:22:15 am
Some of you have no idea what you are watching.  The reason we didn't run that much in the game is because Alabama's front seven is real good. 

If we run too much, we need to pass more.  If we pass too much, we need to run more.  Make up your minds. 

Front 7 is "real good" and we have the ball with 5 minutes in the 4th, 2nd and 3 on our own 20. What do we do?

Run our 230lb RB behind our huge O-line and hope we get 3 yards? Or pass 10+ yards down the field both times against a great secondary with terrible WRs?

Well, our brilliant OC tried the passing route, and we punted.

Definition of idiot, in my opinion.

fakebobholt

Quote from: Dirty on October 12, 2014, 10:22:15 am

this is what I said about the auburn 2nd half but I was jumped on by those saying we abandoned the run. If we have the largest line in orginized football and cant run it late in games, were screwed

Jborohog09

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on October 12, 2014, 10:28:54 am
Front 7 is "real good" and we have the ball with 5 minutes in the 4th, 2nd and 3 on our own 20. What do we do?

Run our 230lb RB behind our huge O-line and hope we get 3 yards? Or pass 10+ yards down the field both times against a great secondary with terrible WRs?

Well, our brilliant OC tried the passing route, and we punted.

Definition of idiot, in my opinion.

To be fair, on the second down play Derby was open on a crossing route, Allen just missed him. 

The_Iceman

2009: Mallett 12-35, 160 yds, 1 TD, 1 int

2010: Mallett 25-38, 357 yds, 1 TD, 1 Int

2011: Wilson 22-35, 185 yds, 2 TDs, 1 Int

2014:  Allen 21-40, 246 yds, 1 TD, 1 Int

Pig In The City

I would not say a great game but he is getting better and doing some good things.

The_Iceman

Quote from: fakebobholt on October 12, 2014, 10:31:25 am
this is what I said about the auburn 2nd half but I was jumped on by those saying we abandoned the run. If we have the largest line in orginized football and cant run it late in games, were screwed

When you have no threat at WR, teams can just man up on the outside and load the box. That's hard to run on no matter who you are.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Jborohog09 on October 12, 2014, 10:31:38 am
To be fair, on the second down play Derby was open on a crossing route, Allen just missed him. 

As an OC, you have to take into account the fact that again, you do not have Drew Brees in the backfield.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 12, 2014, 10:33:18 am
2009: Mallett 12-35, 160 yds, 1 TD, 1 int

2010: Mallett 25-38, 357 yds, 1 TD, 1 Int

2011: Wilson 22-35, 185 yds, 2 TDs, 1 Int

2014:  Allen 21-40, 246 yds, 1 TD, 1 Int

Ok thats not even a remotely fair comparison.

Anyone who thinks that defense we saw last night could even stay on the field with those previous Bama Ds is smoking crack.

Jerrajo

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 12, 2014, 09:15:24 am
BA didn't have a good game . he constantly over threw and under threw our WRS  . 20 of 41 is not acceptable . especially with open wr's . if he puts more air under some of his mid range balls and just throws the deep balls farther , this game wasn't close . he allowed bamas secondary to recover and make plays

Yeap either we need a QB or a guy who can coach them. Maybe both.

Jborohog09

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on October 12, 2014, 10:36:15 am
As an OC, you have to take into account the fact that again, you do not have Drew Brees in the backfield.

And you don't have to be Drew Brees to hit a shallow cross.  I will say I don't understand why they didn't run any draw plays in the second half, particularly when Alabama was only rushing their front four.

dandd TD

When we over throw that many receivers, throw behind that many receivers, that isn't good! We depend too much on passing when we cannot.

Jerrajo

Quote from: shotgun7 on October 12, 2014, 10:17:57 am
IMHO its not that Chaney is a bad play caller, he is usually pretty decent through the first half. But its late in the game, its like he falls apart and tries to turn our offense into an air raid system on a whim. We don't have the players for that, and its not gonna work!

Well thats exactly what makes him a bad play caller. If he falls apart late in the game then he's NOT a good play caller .. Right ?

Having said that I agree with your assessment.. He does tend to panic and turn us into an air raid team. Run that damn ball from the shotgun with the four wide. Surprise everyone. The threat of it will at least keep the defense honest. We might even break a big play.

Sorry but I see Chaney as a problem.

Jerrajo

Quote from: Jborohog09 on October 12, 2014, 10:42:03 am
And you don't have to be Drew Brees to hit a shallow cross.  I will say I don't understand why they didn't run any draw plays in the second half, particularly when Alabama was only rushing their front four.

Thank you.

MrKlem10

Conservative play calling to limit the decisions of a qb who has the tendency to panic...

Sounds like a train wreck.

Jerrajo

Quote from: MrKlem10 on October 12, 2014, 11:09:11 am
Conservative play calling to limit the decisions of a qb who has the tendency to panic...

Sounds like a train wreck.

If the problem is BA and NOT Chaney then its time to start getting RP some reps.

three hog night

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on October 12, 2014, 08:54:48 am

2) A missed PAT.

Woo Pig.

I agree completely.

52-0
52-0
14-13

The young guys are going to be real solid by the end of the season.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

three hog night

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 12, 2014, 10:35:36 am
When you have no threat at WR, teams can just man up on the outside and load the box. That's hard to run on no matter who you are.

You obviously know football schemes and may have played a little.   Many of the unreasonable posters have very little football knowledge.   Some of the most angry ones bet on the hogs and lost money...stupid.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on October 12, 2014, 10:37:26 am
Ok thats not even a remotely fair comparison.

Anyone who thinks that defense we saw last night could even stay on the field with those previous Bama Ds is smoking crack.

This Bama team was giving up 64 yards rushing coming into last night. Defense isn't Bama's problem this year