Jim Chaney

Started by gijoejd, August 30, 2014, 09:13:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkfan

Quote from: Sooie71923 on August 31, 2014, 10:15:07 am
LOL

Force the run even though it was getting shutdown - check
Force the play action pass because the run was getting shutdown - check

By your logic we should force what is not working... Why? So you can come on hogville and inject genius ideas of how we should throw more? Lol. 

Yeah well how did the drop backs and rollouts work for you?

They just give up on what theyre supposedly good at and go to something that most everyone knows they arent good at? You really call that a game plan and good coaching?

This team is MUCH better off play action than they are just dropping back and letting it go.

hoglady

If you listened to Beliema after the game - he didn't appear to be pleased with the 2nd half game plan.
Said we had a plan that was working, for some reason we got away from it and that's something he'd need to address.
So my guess is Beliema and Chaney will be having a pow wow.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

bphi11ips

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on August 31, 2014, 10:21:42 am
those of you blaming Chaney are barking up the wrong tree....we had one TD pass dropped  that Ryan Mallett could not have thrown better, along with several key 3rd down passes dropped in the second half which would have kept drives going and AU's potent offense OFF THE FIELD...the problem is the defense, our MLB kept over running the zone option read as if he were going to out-run their speedy backs to the corner if they had chosen to run the ball outside...to beat the AU offense you must have two things, a big strong nose guard who can take up two offensive linemen, and secondly and above all, each defensive player must maintain their assignment integrity, and our MLB was over-running the motion almost every play allowing the cut back to daylight by their backs or the QB could keep it and run through the same huge hole left by our undisciplined play...until our defensive players learn that  most of the time they are not going to make some magnificent play on defense and just play your area and trust your teammates to do the same, we'll never beat the HUNH against a quality team

The key to stopping the zone read is to stop the offense from gaining a numbers mismatch when the player the QB is reading commits.  It's more complicated than the old read on the end out of the wishbone or veer, but it's the same principle.  Make one defender commit at the point of attack and gain a one man advantage for the offense. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Sooie71923 on August 31, 2014, 10:30:26 am
News flash.... Play action only works when the run game works!!!

The run was getting stuffed in the 2nd half!!! 

It's not rocket science. You people refuse to see that simple fact.
we have a bingo...instead of utilizing the play-action-pass, which waste a good half a second to a second, we need to screen, quick hitch, crossing patterns just behind their LB's who were overly aggressive....but above all, on 3rd down, our receivers must catch balls that are close to them...I am convinced that Brandon Allen can play in this league...until last night I was not...now that we have a QB, we can correct a few mistakes on offense and get this team going...what concerns me is the defensive assignment integrity...I'll say it again, if you vacate your position and you run a 4.6 forty and think you are going to out run RB's to the corner who run a 4.3 forty, you don't understand the laws of physics...our defense must learn to play their area and do so with controlled-aggression and defensive integrity...summation: you don't see a lion successfully make a kill of a spring-bok if she starts her run at him from a distance, the lion that makes the kill is the one closest to the deer because she stayed in her position waiting for the other lions to run the prey into her wheel house....I've been watching a lot of Discovery, so excuse me on the analogy, but that's how it's done on the plains of Africa, and the same could be said about the plains of the football field
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Carl Lazlo

Down 14-7 in the first quarter on the auburn 35 yard line facing a 3rd down and 6 Arkansas went in shotgun formation.  With the ball spotted on the right hash mark, there's a tightend along with a flanker to the short side and to the wide left side a slot receiver on the left hash with a split end wide.  The defense runs a form of a cover two zone man on the short side.  Basically outside lb covers tightend for first 5 yards then releases him to the walked up safety.  The corner is in man.  Both lbs show blitz with one dropping to cover the middle of the short side.  I think this makes Brandon think he has the slant wide open, typical bait play.  But, in actuality theres 3 defenders on the slant.

Now to the wide side the defense was in man.  With #90 DE coming hard off the blind side and a middle lb blitzing the proper CHECK should be a SCREEN to Alex Collins on the left side.

Bunch of plays leave me scratching my head. 

I saw another play where korliss hit the wrong crease.  He could have gained a lot more yards.

The defense has to find playmakers.  From the dl to the back 7.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 31, 2014, 10:36:11 am
The key to stopping the zone read is to stop the offense from gaining a numbers mismatch when the player the QB is reading commits.  It's more complicated than the old read on the end out of the wishbone or veer, but it's the same principle.  Make one defender commit at the point of attack and gain a one man advantage for the offense.
agreed, but their QB's were sitting there, laying in wait for our MLB to take the bait on the direction of the offensive flow (ie, which way the OL went)....dare I say we took the bait more times than not leaving gaping holes found by RB's who simply cut it back against the grain...now I'm only speaking of how to give the defense it's best shot at slowing down an offense like AU's...against other type of offenses, all this goes out the window
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

gijoejd

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on August 31, 2014, 10:43:36 am
we have a bingo...instead of utilizing the play-action-pass, which waste a good half a second to a second, we need to screen, quick hitch, crossing patterns just behind their LB's who were overly aggressive....but above all, on 3rd down, our receivers must catch balls that are close to them...I am convinced that Brandon Allen can play in this league...until last night I was not...now that we have a QB, we can correct a few mistakes on offense and get this team going...what concerns me is the defensive assignment integrity...I'll say it again, if you vacate your position and you run a 4.6 forty and think you are going to out run RB's to the corner who run a 4.3 forty, you don't understand the laws of physics...our defense must learn to play their area and do so with controlled-aggression and defensive integrity...summation: you don't see a lion successfully make a kill of a spring-bok if she starts her run at him from a distance, the lion that makes the kill is the one closest to the deer because she stayed in her position waiting for the other lions to run the prey into her wheel house....I've been watching a lot of Discovery, so excuse me on the analogy, but that's how it's done on the plains of Africa, and the same could be said about the plains of the football field

Hey...I like the analogy.  +1 good post. 

wupigsuey

Quote from: hoglady on August 31, 2014, 10:29:26 am
If you listened to Beliema after the game - he didn't appear to be pleased with the 2nd half game plan.
Said we had a plan that was working, for some reason we got away from it and that's something he'd need to address.

Yep. I heard that too.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on August 31, 2014, 10:50:27 am
agreed, but their QB's were sitting there, laying in wait for our MLB to take the bait on the direction of the offensive flow (ie, which way the OL went)....dare I say we took the bait more times than not leaving gaping holes found by RB's who simply cut it back against the grain...now I'm only speaking of how to give the defense it's best shot at slowing down an offense like AU's...against other type of offenses, all this goes out the window

You and I agree.  We're old enough to have seen this before.  There's nothing new under the sun, only old themes " reimagined".
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hoglady on August 31, 2014, 10:29:26 am

First person I have heard come away with the same interpretation as I had. Chaney seems headed for the principal's office.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

je100

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 31, 2014, 04:38:05 pm
First person I have heard come away with the same interpretation as I had. Chaney seems headed for the principal's office.  ;D

Not exactly sure what everyone wanted Chaney to do except begin throwing the ball more - in particular with a Arkansas defense hemorrhaging points on seemingly every Auburn possession.  Surely, most everyone believes that if given a choice, Chaney would have preferred to stick to the running game?

hawgon

I said six months ago that Chaney would be gone after this year and I stand by it.  He simply is too predictable.

chitwnhog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 31, 2014, 10:12:51 am
If they were more innovative (his WR route schemes/route trees), then it would be easier to get open, and our WRs wouldn't have to be trying to make a catch under heavy duress.  Some of those drops last season, and already starting to happen this season is because of the WRs having to try to make a tough catch.

In the SEC, with DBs who in many cases will be playing on Sundays in the NFL, the window of getting a ball to the WR is a tight/short window.  There has to be innovation to help the QB and WRs.

Chaney's "Route Trees" come from the NFL. Geeze...

cosmodrum

Chaney could've ran off tackle.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: hawgon on August 31, 2014, 04:52:35 pm
I said six months ago that Chaney would be gone after this year and I stand by it.  He simply is too predictable.

Yeah, I'm not impressed.
Go away, batin'

gijoejd

I've cooled down from my OP last night after many...many beers.  Now today, after thinking about the game and who/where we were playing vs where we were last year...

We are definitely much improved.  We were in the game for the first 2 qrtrs, but lets admit it...we were hoping for an AU mistake to be able to take the lead.  We can't match what they are able to do on offense and they pulled away when our depth couldn't match.  Also....let admit...we wanna beat Gus so we can call him High School again.  Our time will come.   

I do believe CBB will have a talk with Chaney as he said he would in the presser.  BA looks 10x better that I expected.  I thought we would see some improvement but to see him hold his own against #6 Auburn in their house...on the opening night...cant ask for much more.  Learning experiences.  Teaching lessons.  Growth. 

It's not how we fall, but how we get back up.  We will continue to improve as the season goes on 1 game at a time. 

OTTER

Quote from: gijoejd on August 31, 2014, 05:42:49 pm
I've cooled down from my OP last night after many...many beers.  Now today, after thinking about the game and who/where we were playing vs where we were last year...

We are definitely much improved.  We were in the game for the first 2 qrtrs, but lets admit it...we were hoping for an AU mistake to be able to take the lead.  We can't match what they are able to do on offense and they pulled away when our depth couldn't match.  Also....let admit...we wanna beat Gus so we can call him High School again.  Our time will come.   

I do believe CBB will have a talk with Chaney as he said he would in the presser.  BA looks 10x better that I expected.  I thought we would see some improvement but to see him hold his own against #6 Auburn in their house...on the opening night...cant ask for much more.  Learning experiences.  Teaching lessons.  Growth. 

It's not how we fall, but how we get back up.  We will continue to improve as the season goes on 1 game at a time. 
Are you foolin' round with us?  :-\ ;) +1
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: je100 on August 31, 2014, 04:49:51 pm
Not exactly sure what everyone wanted Chaney to do except begin throwing the ball more - in particular with a Arkansas defense hemorrhaging points on seemingly every Auburn possession.  Surely, most everyone believes that if given a choice, Chaney would have preferred to stick to the running game?

Hoglady and I are talking about what CBB said and how he looked when he said it. Doesn't much matter what we think about Chaney, but what his boss thinks is important.  8)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Yep I remember you making that statement. You called that brotha!  ;D

hawgon

Are we improved?  Who can say really?  We played Auburn tough last year as well and they nearly won an NC.

To me right now we look like a team with the same problems we had last year.  We can't score and we can't stop others from scoring.  Until we figure a way to get some offensive production when the other team is crowding the box, we're not going to beat anybody unless we completely out man them.

Bebop

I don't know what to think. The first half showed us real promise and the second half looked like we regressed. I don't know what the deal was. I do think Chaney should some of the blame as well as the praise for the playcalling. I will say the WR's didn't make things easier.

If Chaney doesn't better adjustments on the offensive side of the ball, he will probably be gone.

gijoejd

Quote from: hawgon on August 31, 2014, 06:11:50 pm
Are we improved?  Who can say really?  We played Auburn tough last year as well and they nearly won an NC.

To me right now we look like a team with the same problems we had last year.  We can't score and we can't stop others from scoring.  Until we figure a way to get some offensive production when the other team is crowding the box, we're not going to beat anybody unless we completely out man them.

We lost by 18 last season, at home, and later in the year.  You can easily argue that we played AU as tough this year as we did last. 

gijoejd

Quote from: Bebop on August 31, 2014, 06:15:08 pm
I don't know what to think. The first half showed us real promise and the second half looked like we regressed. I don't know what the deal was. I do think Chaney should some of the blame as well as the praise for the playcalling. I will say the WR's didn't make things easier.

If Chaney doesn't better adjustments on the offensive side of the ball, he will probably be gone.

Our receivers, TE included, dropped a wet football many times. 

Lets hope the football is dry for the rest of the season. 

deserthoag

I believe Chaney will get the passing problem straighten out this year. If he doesn't, he better get his real estate agent ready.

Letsroll1200

I don't think Chaney was the problem. BA played a improved but overall average game. We are one or two big time wideouts and another TE away from making a move on offense. Our offensive line will get better and Hunter has to improve his blocking. He was blown up on that interception play. We need to keep this system and staff together.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on August 31, 2014, 06:26:54 pm
I don't think Chaney was the problem. BA played a improved but overall average game. We are one or two big time wideouts and another TE away from making a move on offense. Our offensive line will get better and Hunter has to improve his blocking. He was blown up on that interception play. We need to keep this system and staff together.

I agree with you but I wonder how successful we'll be recruiting really great wide receivers to an offense that relies so heavily on the rushing attack. We may just have to hope for a great in-state recruit who's always wanted to be a Razorback.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on August 31, 2014, 06:39:32 pm
I agree with you but I wonder how successful we'll be recruiting really great wide receivers to an offense that relies so heavily on the rushing attack. We may just have to hope for a great in-state recruit who's always wanted to be a Razorback.

We passed more than we ran yesterday.

Hogfan1660

Anyone ever heard of KJ Hill???? I would call him a pretty good receiver!

texas tush hog

I remember the expert fans at Rocky Top calling for Randy Sanders head when Cutcliffe left for Mississippi. Same things people are saying about Chaney. Well, they got their way after the 2005 season and he was fired. Rich Brooks did not let the grass grow under his feet and promptly hired him to coach quarterbacks,recruiting co-ordinator, and eventually offensive co-ordinator. He helped them to bowl games in his first four seasons there, their first since 1999. He helped develop Andre woodson into an All-American, but once again after the 2012 season he was fired again. Well Jimbo Fischer did not let these fans influence him and hired Sanders to coach Jameis Winston into winning the Heisman as a freshman and helping lead the Seminoles to the BCS title. Back in 2000 to 2005 the experts in the Neyland stands were singing the same tune our experts are piping now about Chaney. I say leave that decision to Brett Bielema and get off Chaney's back. If he fails Bielema fails. 

je100

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 31, 2014, 06:08:00 pm
Hoglady and I are talking about what CBB said and how he looked when he said it. Doesn't much matter what we think about Chaney, but what his boss thinks is important.  8)

True.  I hope his boss was watching the same game I was.  The few runs we did have on the second and third drives in the third quarter were very inefficient, to say the least.  Just not sure we had much of an answer at that point, but to throw the ball.

hawgon

Quote from: texas tush hog on August 31, 2014, 06:50:15 pm
I remember the expert fans at Rocky Top calling for Randy Sanders head when Cutcliffe left for Mississippi. Same things people are saying about Chaney. Well, they got their way after the 2005 season and he was fired. Rich Brooks did not let the grass grow under his feet and promptly hired him to coach quarterbacks,recruiting co-ordinator, and eventually offensive co-ordinator. He helped them to bowl games in his first four seasons there, their first since 1999. He helped develop Andre woodson into an All-American, but once again after the 2012 season he was fired again. Well Jimbo Fischer did not let these fans influence him and hired Sanders to coach Jameis Winston into winning the Heisman as a freshman and helping lead the Seminoles to the BCS title. Back in 2000 to 2005 the experts in the Neyland stands were singing the same tune our experts are piping now about Chaney. I say leave that decision to Brett Bielema and get off Chaney's back. If he fails Bielema fails.

I'm not calling for anyone's head.  I'm merely telling you what will happen.  It will be a self preservation measure for BB by the time this season is over.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hawgon on August 31, 2014, 07:16:07 pm
I'm not calling for anyone's head.  I'm merely telling you what will happen.  It will be a self preservation measure for BB by the time this season is over.

I disagree. I don't think he will want new coordinators every year. I think he will stick it out at least another season with Chaney unless the wheels absolutely fall off. If QB is the problem, he may hire a QB coach. If WR continue to be the problem, he will find a new WR coach. I think Chaney stays.

hawgon

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 31, 2014, 07:22:56 pm
I disagree. I don't think he will want new coordinators every year. I think he will stick it out at least another season with Chaney unless the wheels absolutely fall off. If QB is the problem, he may hire a QB coach. If WR continue to be the problem, he will find a new WR coach. I think Chaney stays.

If we win 0 or just one conference game this year, what BB wants becomes less and less relevant.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hawgon on August 31, 2014, 07:26:38 pm
If we win 0 or just one conference game this year, what BB wants becomes less and less relevant.

Disagree. I don't think he will be pressured to make a move he doesn't want to make from Long. And what the fans think means jack. If he thinks Chaney is the problem, sure, he will fire him. If he doesn't, he won't.

hawgon

All I will say is that this is nothing new.  The Tennessee boards had almost the same  complaints with a lot of WTH about play calling. 

Fatty McGee

Quote from: hawgon on August 31, 2014, 07:35:44 pm
All I will say is that this is nothing new.  The Tennessee boards had almost the same  complaints with a lot of WTH about play calling. 

Telling me that more uninformed people have taken a position doesn't exactly add to its correctness.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

mhuff

I have not read the rest of this thread, but it seems that Auburn adjusted at half time to stop our run ,and we did not adjust. It seems like we would have busted their chops at the outset of the third quarter had we thrown on first down. Three series in a row we either lost yardage or gained minimal yardage on first down. They were expecting us to run. If we had thrown on the first series of the new half , they would not have been so certain what we were going to do. Just a thought.

jgphillips3

I'm reserving judgment on Chaney until this year is over.  We were limited last year and a lot of what made us look terrible the 2nd half Saturday was a massive fail by the receivers.  If they do their job, things look a lot better.  The play calling was only mildly suspect compared to execution.  After this seasons over, I'll have a much better read on what he is all about.

Kevin

I just think our offense needs some motion in it.  Plus, put your best on the field. Don't be afraid to put two tailbacks in.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Lake City Hog

Everybody wants to talk about Chaney and dropped balls, shouldn't you be talking about the receivers coach? THAT guys hasn't impressed me one single bit! A BB coached team isn't going to get the truly great receivers very often so we MUST get everything possible from the guys that we do get. And, the simple truth is, we aren't.

My only real complaint with Chaney is that we fail miserably at using the middle of the field. Throwing over the middle will FORCE the Linebackers to hold their depth and keep the safeties to stay back at least for another second or two. We throw way too many sideline routes.

Jek Tono Porkins

How many of you actually know what plays were called?

The plays aren't called "Hit #85 on a sideline route" or "Throw it to #2 on a fade" or "throw it to #4 on a post."

BA has to go through a progression. There's also this little thing called defensive backs that also cover our receivers, so not every route is going to be open.

I swear, I don't know where this idea comes from that Chaney can just call whatever plsu he wants and BA will hit the receiver and the receiver will not be covered and catch the ball perfectly.

The playcall is one part of the puzzle and playcalling is overrated. Every playcall is a good one if the offense executes. The only bad playcalls are the ones where the offense doesn't execute.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Hogsnort

September 01, 2014, 12:15:54 am #141 Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 12:37:33 am by Hogsnort
Did Damon Mitchell or JoJo Robinson get to play yesterday? Does anyone know how many different WRs got playing time?...just curious.

Letsroll1200

We will throw the ball. A great running game is a elite wide out dream. Ask Julio Jones! We need a elite talent at wideout and another elite TE to team with Henry.

shotgun7

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 31, 2014, 10:47:37 pm
How many of you actually know what plays were called?

The plays aren't called "Hit #85 on a sideline route" or "Throw it to #2 on a fade" or "throw it to #4 on a post."

BA has to go through a progression. There's also this little thing called defensive backs that also cover our receivers, so not every route is going to be open.

I swear, I don't know where this idea comes from that Chaney can just call whatever plsu he wants and BA will hit the receiver and the receiver will not be covered and catch the ball perfectly.

The playcall is one part of the puzzle and playcalling is overrated. Every playcall is a good one if the offense executes. The only bad playcalls are the ones where the offense doesn't execute.

I think this is a pretty fair statement... Had we executed, (caught the ball) it would have been a totally different second half. Hard to do much when you go 3 and out though.

hawgbawb

Better talent at WR and in our secondary will solve a lot of our problems.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

hoglady

I have a question.
How much of our practice time is spent on passing vs. running plays?
Mallett always said the he and the receivers spent hours upon hours practicing with each other on their own. I wonder if BA and these receivers practice like that.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 31, 2014, 10:47:37 pm

Every playcall is a good one if the offense executes. The only bad playcalls are the ones where the offense doesn't execute.

Very good point. The offensive play has to be executed and it becomes a big play if the defense doesn't. Case in point was Auburn's first TD. The safety knows the corner has vacated for the corner blitz. The safety knows he is alone and must execute the tackle. Wiff on the tackle and the WR sprints down the side line for a TD.

The play caller looks like a genius, but the bad defense was what really made the play look great.

ChitownHawg

You mean like KJ Hill? Or how about an out of stater like Jo Jo? We have the receivers.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hogsnort on September 01, 2014, 12:15:54 am
Did Damon Mitchell or JoJo Robinson get to play yesterday? Does anyone know how many different WRs got playing time?...just curious.

I believe JoJo got banged up and missed some key practices. Same with Mitchell as he was playing scout team QB all week.

I believe they should be more in the game plan this week.

Steef

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on September 01, 2014, 05:53:37 am
I believe JoJo got banged up and missed some key practices. Same with Mitchell as he was playing scout team QB all week.

I believe they should be more in the game plan this week.

It would be my guess, as soon as they're healthy, they're in the game plan every week. Gonna be surprised if the depth chart doesn't get shifted a little at receiver.

More excited than ever, with a commitment from KJ.