Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Chaney

Started by gijoejd, August 30, 2014, 09:13:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gijoejd

August 30, 2014, 09:13:22 pm Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 08:19:12 am by gijoejd
Is Chaney our guy?  2 yrds rushing in the 2nd half while tied to #6 AU. I just don't understand that. Is he responsible for our big offensive recruits like Collins and Hill?

I'm a Beilimer and believe he is a great HC...but we fired Robinson for our bad D.  Do we have the right guy?

Posting from mobile...

onebadrubi

If the story is true that he was not allowed down to the players during half time that has some to do with it. 

Also, we lost any and all push in the O line. 

pigsooietim

gijoejd

So he wasn't allowed down during the half time/delay...

Who called the offensive plays in the 2nd qrtr?

rzrbackramsfan

Auburn shut down the run in the second.  We were often in bad situations to run.  Also they were loading the box ready for the run.  Unfortunately, they challenged the pass, we couldn't answer, and it took away the run.

wupigsuey

Ive tried to stay optimistic but Willy Robinson shut down a Chaney offense. Todays performance doesn't make me feel better about that.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Arkansas Fan

I know being in rebuilding mode, not having good QB play, lack of talent, depth, experience play a part in it, but I don't like Chaney. Some of the play calls I just don't get.

I don't think Chaney is our guy.

Fayettechill14

Saw flashes of greatness in the first half. Allen looks like a quality SEC quarterback. I'm willing to ride it out until Chaney has more weapons. It's hard to be patient, but progress is there.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: gijoejd on August 30, 2014, 09:13:22 pm
Is Chaney our guy?  2 yrds rushing in the 2nd half while tide to #6 AU. I just don't understand that. Is he responsible for our big offensive recruits like Collins and Hill?

I'm a Beilimer and believe he is a great HC...but we fired Robinson for our bad D.  Do we have the right guy?

Posting from mobile...
So you're mad that he didn't try to run when Auburn was stacking guys in the box?

Think about that for a second...

It's pretty obvious; Chaney was calling passes to get Auburn to respect the pass so we could get back to running.

Problem was, our receivers weren't cooperating.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

3kgthog

Let's put it this way, there aren't many d-coordinators in the SEC that you'd feel confident about Chaney facing in a playcalling duel featuring equal talent.

We were spoiled by a guy that understood how to maximize talent. We are seeing the opposite now.

dandd TD

Chaney, or whoever is the play caller, is not getting it done. It is time for a change. Second half play calling was very inadequate. If this lands at chaney's feet, he must go. We can't grow with that crap.

elksnort

When we play teams who have David's bags I receivers can beat them they won't stop us

WashUhog6

I was disappointed in the lack of counter adjustments made in the second half. There have been flashes of greatness, but in 13 games at Arkansas, we've done nothing but sputter in the fourth quarter. And his offenses weren't that productive at Tennessee, either.

It would help if our receivers were more reliable as well. There are improvements that must be made by both the players and staff if we want to go bowling this year.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: 3kgthog on August 30, 2014, 09:26:49 pm
Let's put it this way, there aren't many d-coordinators in the SEC that you'd feel confident about Chaney facing in a playcalling duel featuring equal talent.

We were spoiled by a guy that understood how to maximize talent. We are seeing the opposite now.

And you know this, how? When has he had "equal talent"?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 30, 2014, 09:25:10 pm
So you're mad that he didn't try to run when Auburn was stacking guys in the box?

Think about that for a second...

It's pretty obvious; Chaney was calling passes to get Auburn to respect the pass so we could get back to running.

Problem was, our receivers weren't cooperating.

A screen is essentially a run but to relieve middle pressure, which is what we did.  Guys, we got beat in the trench in the 2nd half.  It's no secret Bielema is going line up and run 100 yards per half.  If that can't happen he's going to be in trouble.  Now, like I said its no secret, when it came down to it we got beat in the trenches and no one else could step up.  We aren't built for the WR to step up and save us like you all are asking. 

KJ, pettway, jojo, and co will be however.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: wupigsuey on August 30, 2014, 09:22:44 pm
Ive tried to stay optimistic but Willy Robinson shut down a Chaney offense. Todays performance doesn't make me feel better about that.

Tennessee had 376 yds that game.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

onebadrubi

Quote from: 3kgthog on August 30, 2014, 09:26:49 pm

Wait a second, when did anyone accuse him of having equal talent? 

Styflin

I think it's fairly clear that Chaney isn't our guy. I mean look at our offense. It's in shambles. There is always an excuse. Dropped passes, Allen is hurt, we are young, no depth and on and on. Chaney is the man in charge of our offense. It has been bad since he got here.

I was willing to give him last year and was looking forward to this year. We looked bad as an offensive unit. Yes we had some moments but overall it wasn't good. Chaney would tell you that himself. It's time to move forward with someone else.

doc53

21-21 at half....we looked liked the more physical team. First series 3rd q-3 and out..all passes....first down pass was not going to get us any yards. I like passes on first down but only if you are going for some yardage.
  Not too fond of Keon Hatcher's drop in first half either.
I was THERE for the Pooch Kick

Kyle

At the end of the season a change will be made if CBB decides it's necessary... Perks of the job.

dandd TD

We are a running team. We cannot get away from that. We have got to sell out to that philosophy and go with our bread and butter. Play calling cost us this game being close versus a lopsided victory. Chaney must go.

cosmodrum

Terrible in the 2nd half. Useless, really.
Go away, batin'

WashUhog6

Quote from: Kyle on August 30, 2014, 09:38:51 pm
At the end of the season a change will be made if CBB decides it's necessary... Perks of the job.
I have full confidence that Bielema will make changes if he decides they need to happen.

hawgmasta

Me thinks we took Chaney to get Pittman. :o

Sooie71923

If it was up to fans arkansas coaches would be under lease agreements and not contracts. My god. Can we not give coaches chances?

Do y'all not believe in stability? Y'all whine about recruiting. Whine about coaching. 

If we keep replacing coaches every year based on in game player performance, how many high quality recruits do you expect arkansas to get ? 

Chaney isn't the problem. He's not dropping passes, fumbling, or missing blocks.... Is he?

Clay Travis was right...

gijoejd

Who is our main offensive recruiter?  We have power/smarts on the way in....but who is bringing it in?  Is Chaney our guy because he can call the offense when it's for the type of guys he has coming in?  We held on to Willy but only because he proved non-effective coaching recruits he had for years. Again, posting from mobile...and plenty of beer.

Sooie71923

Offense is fine. We re getting offensive players. All focus needs to be focused on defense. The secondary is rotten.

Hogeration

We ran and threw at will in the first half.  For some reason, we stunk the second half up.  I'm not sure all those dump off passes to the RB were called.  I still can't figure out why we didn't throw to the middle of the field when they were pressuring up the middle.

Hell, even Bama ran some no huddle today.  Hire Rhett Lashlee.  If you can't beat em join em.

dandd TD

Chaney is the problem. An idiot can recognize that we were moving the ball and scoring points in the first half. Why did we stop doing what we were doing? We were successful! Chaney did this same thing last year. He has had a chance. Two years. Same result. We are competitive 1st half, we get away from what is working in the second and lose. It is Chaney's fault. Gotta go.

Southpointhog

Quote from: Sooie71923 on August 30, 2014, 09:49:47 pm
Offense is fine. We re getting offensive players. All focus needs to be focused on defense. The secondary is rotten.

YES +1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

vol_in_ar

Quote from: Sooie71923 on August 30, 2014, 09:46:04 pm
If it was up to fans arkansas coaches would be under lease agreements and not contracts. My god. Can we not give coaches chances?

Do y'all not believe in stability? Y'all whine about recruiting. Whine about coaching. 

If we keep replacing coaches every year based on in game player performance, how many high quality recruits do you expect arkansas to get ? 

Chaney isn't the problem. He's not dropping passes, fumbling, or missing blocks.... Is he?

Clay Travis was right...

what did the great one Clay Travis say

guess since Franklin moved to Happy Valley his lips are so firmly attached to his ass, so that know he can actually talk

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: wupigsuey on August 30, 2014, 09:22:44 pm

With there top QB and WR out. Tyler bray and Justin Hunter would have killed Willy

PorkerOinker

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 30, 2014, 09:16:13 pm
If the story is true that he was not allowed down to the players during half time that has some to do with it. 

Also, we lost any and all push in the O line. 

Where are you getting this?
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

AugustaHog

It was a total fail as a team in the 2nd half.  Chaney's O sucked, pittman's OL sucked, Smith's WRs sucked, and the total D sucked for 3.5 quarters.  I'll hold judgement till after the season before calling for heads to roll.  Its not fair at this point.  We had positives and will need a massive turnaround to have the success we want.

Fatty McGee

I like it when people who don't actually know the plays that were called complain that the playcalling was bad. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

devildoghawg

Yeah guys, it's Chaneys fault that we have absolutely zero reliable talent downfield to catch the ball, and Auburn's loaded with 5 star defensive talent...makes perfect since.  Seriously, do you goons ever just stop and think about what you are saying.  You literally want a dude to LOSE HIS JOB after one game against what will probably end up being the #2-3 team in the country.  I am proud that we were tied at halftime.....
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

gijoejd

But yet...no one has the answer...

Who is the main recruiter?  Offensive power/incoming guys are just fine.  Play calling and adjustments are not. Is it all the same guy or different folks?

Again, no bashing here. If he's our guy, he's our guy. However, if he isn't the one bringing in the recruits, he makes adjustment calls/play calls...something's gotta give.

I realize D has work to do but I did see improvement from Ash's D.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: dandd TD on August 30, 2014, 09:56:14 pm
Chaney is the problem. An idiot can recognize that we were moving the ball and scoring points in the first half. Why did we stop doing what we were doing? We were successful! Chaney did this same thing last year. He has had a chance. Two years. Same result. We are competitive 1st half, we get away from what is working in the second and lose. It is Chaney's fault. Gotta go.

Because they adjusted to stop it. We adjusted by passing but the WRs dropped the ball. Quit trying to pin this on Chaney.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on August 30, 2014, 09:32:46 pm
I thought he stunk calling plays at Tennessee. He needs to go.

He stunk so bad he had the #1 offense in the SEC in 2012

Fayettechill14

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on August 30, 2014, 10:05:18 pm
Since 2009, Chaney is 26-37 overall, and 9-32 in the SEC as an OC. So yeah, I have said he has stunk since he was at tenner.

Lane Kiffin is 1-0 as OC. Don't take these things out of context.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on August 30, 2014, 10:05:18 pm
Since 2009, Chaney is 26-37 overall, and 9-32 in the SEC as an OC. So yeah, I have said he has stunk since he was at tenner.

In 2012 UT offense averaged 32ppg. The UT defense gave up 37.8 ppg in SEC games.

Yep that's on the OC.

wupigsuey

A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

gijoejd

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 30, 2014, 10:08:37 pm
You obviously have no clue what you're talking about. Offense was not Tennessee's problem.

In his defense...our offense as a unit isn't actually our problem..the play calls/audibles are. Biggest thing I noticed was the secondary was filled with holes but were improved from last season.  We are young and that takes time...I'm just asking if we have the right play caller.

WashUhog6

I think there are a few things we can do to have a more sustainable offensive effort. First, we need to do a better job getting the ball into our best playmakers' hands. Collins needs more touches.

Second, we need more reliable receivers. Going into a game against Nicholls State is a good time to try and get the young receivers some touches. The older receivers may bring mental and physical maturity, but didn't make the necessary plays today. There's only so much that Chaney and Brandon Allen can do.

Finally, we need to do a better job of making adjustments and counter-adjustments as the game progresses. Last year, and today, we had positive offensive showings only to sputter to a halt later in the game.

It's a process--and a grind--and a game against Nicholls State next Saturday will hopefully let us figure some of these things out.

code red

Quote from: gijoejd on August 30, 2014, 09:13:22 pm
Is Chaney our guy?  2 yrds rushing in the 2nd half while tide to #6 AU. I just don't understand that. Is he responsible for our big offensive recruits like Collins and Hill?

Posting from mobile...
Look at how many points we scored in the 4th last year....its embarrassing.....you got to score to win.   If you can:t recruit like Bama you can't run a system like Bama and win.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

redeye

Quote from: WashUhog6 on August 30, 2014, 09:27:55 pm
I was disappointed in the lack of counter adjustments made in the second half. There have been flashes of greatness, but in 13 games at Arkansas, we've done nothing but sputter in the fourth quarter. And his offenses weren't that productive at Tennessee, either.

It would help if our receivers were more reliable as well. There are improvements that must be made by both the players and staff if we want to go bowling this year.

I'm not going to argue that you're wrong, because I'm honestly not sure, but I will note that in his final year at Tennessee, they finished 2nd in Total Offense and 4th in Scoring Offense.

My personal opinion is that the jury is still out on Chaney, but I'm still interested to see what he's got.  In the 2nd half of today's game, we had to pass to make Auburn's defense play honest, but the passing game just wasn't there.  To some extent, that's on Chaney, because he's supposed to be the guy that's going to give us a legitimate passing game, so something has to give.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: code red on August 30, 2014, 10:18:55 pm
Look at how many points we scored in the 4th last year....its embarrassing.....you got to score to win.   If you can:t recruit like Bama you can't run a system like Bama and win.

You also can't win giving up 35+ points in every SEC game. I am a lot more concerned about the defense than the Offense

Quickdraw

Chaney is a good OC. Look at the facts. Our passing game is what is crippling our offense. BA placed the ball perfect for Hatcher to catch and hit him in stride and the receiver dropped the pass. If he catches that ball is six points. Another pass in the third quarter when we needed a first down hit the receiver right in the hands and drops the ball. Had to punt. BA put the ball right in the numbers on a slant and receiver drops the ball. These receivers has to concentrate on catching the ball before anything else. They make these catches we are scoring points and moving the chains opening up our running game.

code red

Quote from: redeye on August 30, 2014, 10:20:02 pm
I'm not going to argue that you're wrong, because I'm honestly not sure, but I will note that in his final year at Tennessee, they finished 2nd in Total Offense and 4th in Scoring Offense.

My personal opinion is that the jury is still out on Chaney, but I'm still interested to see what he's got.  In the 2nd half of today's game, we had to pass to make Auburn's defense play honest, but the passing game just wasn't there.  To some extent, that's on Chaney, because he's supposed to be the guy that's going to give us a legitimate passing game, so something has to give.
Respectfully...we need a dynamic leader on the offense...we don"t have it at this point.  No coordinator is going to work their magic without a coach in the field.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 30, 2014, 10:22:45 pm
You also can't win giving up 35+ points in every SEC game. I am a lot more concerned about the defense than the Offense
Agreed......quite frankly.....I think we are no better..than last year at this time.  Better find a way to sack the Q or else N ILL and Tech will be lopsided as well.