Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4th down at their 35

Started by Poker_hog, August 30, 2014, 08:58:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Poker_hog

Twice we punted from inside au's 40.  These seem like terrible game management decisions.  I could understand if we had a dominate defense but au is one of the best offenses and could clearly move the ball on us.  Why give up a chance to score for 25 yards that probably won't matter?
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

HogFanatic

Yep.

I would have went for it the first time, and kicked a field goal the second.

Jek Tono Porkins

Well if we went for it and failed and gave Auburn better field position to score people on here would still be bitching.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

ReversePart34

Yeah that brings back bad memories of the Nutt era.

Poker_hog

Considering the opponent I think it would have be reasonable to go for it on 4th and less than 1 on the first drive.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Poker_hog on August 30, 2014, 08:58:15 pm
Twice we punted from inside au's 40.  These seem like terrible game management decisions.  I could understand if we had a dominate defense but au is one of the best offenses and could clearly move the ball on us.  Why give up a chance to score for 25 yards that probably won't matter?
When your D cannot stop the opponent's offense and you are on a 9 game losing streak, you do not punt in those situations. While our staff knows football, they are not necessarily high IQ's. They whiffed on decision-making on those two punts.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

BigoBoys

What was the outcome of the punts?

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Yeah. I was pretty hot about that too. Reminds me of similar decisions vs MS St last year. Not going for it on 4th and short from a similar place on the field, then faking a punt unsuccessfully from a much worse position later.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: BigoBoys on August 30, 2014, 09:03:58 pm
What was the outcome of the punts?

Stuck em inside the 10 both times, and in 2 plays they were back to where we kicked from or beyond.

Poker_hog

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: iCalledThatHogBrotha! on August 30, 2014, 09:07:28 pm
Stuck em inside the 10 both times, and in 2 plays they were back to where we kicked from or beyond.
On the first one, downed at the 2, they drove 98 yards for a TD.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

trashcan maN

HogFanatic

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 30, 2014, 09:00:09 pm
Well if we went for it and failed and gave Auburn better field position to score people on here would still be bitching.

Kicking a field goal both times would have been the smart choice.

Stewhog 11

Last year those would have been FG attempts. If Bielema knows that's out of our kicker's range, I have no problem with playing conservative and pinning them deep. Obviously the head coach isn't going to think, "We can't slow them down if we had 22 guys on the field, so let's just go for it." He's going to have confidence in his defense.

BOAR_N2BWILD

This ^^^
or if we put a freshman kicker in to kick a field goal people would b#$ch too
Against the #6 team on the road trying to pull the upset - you punt the ball
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Hoggam's Razor

Yep.  Every play is a chance to do something good..why focus on this?
I hate it when people complain.

BigoBoys

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on August 30, 2014, 09:08:53 pm
Kicking a field goal both times would have been the smart choice.
Really? With a new kicked from 52? You post too much when you have no clue what you are talking about.

Peter Porker

Lol criticized for punting. Criticized for faking. Criticized for going for it. Our coach can't win with his own fanbase.

Hogville has created a monster.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: iCalledThatHogBrotha! on August 30, 2014, 09:07:28 pm

And that's really the problem. College football isn't a field position game anymore. It's a number of possessions game. If you fail on a possession, the other offense gets theirs and to and a high powered offense team it usually doesn't matter where the ball is.

Poker_hog

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on August 30, 2014, 09:19:36 pm
And that's really the problem. College football isn't a field position game anymore. It's a number of possessions game. If you fail on a possession, the other offense gets theirs and to and a high powered offense team it usually doesn't matter where the ball is.

Exactly.  It's a risk/benefit decision.  25 yards doesn't mean much to au

talley

And also it's not like we were supposed to win... So why not go for those! You're on the road you're not supposed to win your defense blows and best case scenario you get them pinned 30 yards back further w the best offense in nation! That's like two plays for those guys! You're on a 9 game losing streak and you want to play it safe? I just don't get that!