Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

why did we give up on the first half game plan?

Started by PorkSoda, August 30, 2014, 08:56:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 30, 2014, 09:27:31 pm
Folks, the point of this offense is force the defense to overplay the run and not be able to adequately defend the pass.

Last year, opponents were able to get away with only 7-8 men in the box. Today, Auburn got destroyed when they tried that. They had put 9-10 in the box and they didn't have near enough guys to properly cover the pass.

We couldn't take advantage of that because of all the drops. But Allen was accurate and Auburn had to sell out to keep from getting gashed. That's real progress. I'm happy with it. To me, most of the improvement this year needs to come on defense.

I respect your opinion. So, it boils down to getting better receivers on
Offense.

We have to get better lb and secondary personnel    Our safeties are terrible.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

clutch

Quote from: code red on August 30, 2014, 09:52:19 pm
You are making no sense...and you are wrong.  They screwed down the safeties in the 2nd half and if needed I will submit video evidence to support it.

So I'm wrong saying that he was referring to when we were running right down their throats as being what he was talking about when he said destroyed? Pretty sure I'm exactly right. Why would he say we were destroying them through the air?

je100

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 30, 2014, 08:56:32 pm
in the first half we had success running the ball.

in the second half all we did what throw.

Cheney needs to get a clue and remember who our stars on offense are and who they aren't

I'm not convinced, Pork, that we have stars on the offensive side of the ball.  I like all three of our backs, but I'm not convinced we have star quality there.  I know that's not the popular stance, but for some reason, I'm not convinced.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Kevin on August 30, 2014, 10:00:14 pm
Offense.

Back seven (minus Brooks Ellis) is atrocious.

Entire offense is massively improved. Our WRs will have at least one game this year when they catch everything and we'll hang 50 or 60 on some unsuspecting team. That's how Bielema used to do it at Wisconsin.

clutch

Quote from: Kevin on August 30, 2014, 10:00:14 pm
Offense.

That's exactly what it boils down to. Or just getting the receivers we have now to be able to win their battles when teams are stacking the box essentially eliminating the run.

I don't understand why so many people think our coaches would just abandon their bread and butter for no reason. If we aren't running, it's because it's just not there.

clutch

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 30, 2014, 10:02:41 pm
Back seven (minus Brooks Ellis) is atrocious.

Entire offense is massively improved. Our WRs will have at least one game this year when they catch everything and we'll hang 50 or 60 on some unsuspecting team. That's how Bielema used to do it at Wisconsin.

Really liked what I saw from Ellis. He was a positive to take away from a pretty bad defensive performance.

code red

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 30, 2014, 09:59:19 pm
Auburn was 9 of 10 for 133 yards passing against us last year. Our run defense looked better for a half. Pass defense was equally bad as last year. But it's one game under a new DC, and I think we'll improve each game from here on out.
IMHO the our secondary is not very physical.  I really question the corner blitz in the 1st Qtr.  Its like Gus knew it was coming.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

clutch

Quote from: code red on August 30, 2014, 10:08:21 pm
IMHO the our secondary is not very physical.  I really question the corner blitz in the 1st Qtr.  Its like Gus knew it was coming.

They aren't big enough to be physical. We need some sec sized secondary players in a bad way.

code red

Watching OSU fight against FSU after being devastated by the NFL draft and graduation...makes me want to puke.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: clutch on August 30, 2014, 10:10:20 pm
They aren't big enough to be physical. We need some sec sized secondary players in a bad way.

We need speed our secondary can't even run with SEC opponents.  Our receivers can"t run over the top.  J Will and Collins can't beat a 8 man box.

FreshHog

We gave up on the run because they stacked the box..... We couldn't get back to the run because our wide receivers couldn't do this in their wildest dreams: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11438998

PorkSoda

Quote from: FreshHog on August 30, 2014, 10:18:12 pm
We gave up on the run because they stacked the box..... We couldn't get back to the run because our wide receivers couldn't do this in their wildest dreams: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11438998
we gave up on the run, that is all there is too it.  they stacked the box in the first half too. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

FreshHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 30, 2014, 10:42:03 pm
we gave up on the run, that is all there is too it.  they stacked the box in the first half too.

Go back and watch the film.... they were running 5-7 in the box in the first half, they were playing 8-10 in the box the entire half and the rest was man coverage, they learned the QB wasnt the problem, it was the wideouts.

PorkSoda

Quote from: FreshHog on August 30, 2014, 11:16:30 pm
Go back and watch the film.... they were running 5-7 in the box in the first half, they were playing 8-10 in the box the entire half and the rest was man coverage, they learned the QB wasnt the problem, it was the wideouts.
I just watched the game,  as usual  Chaney put the game in the hands of an inept passing game instead of relying on our RB's
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 30, 2014, 08:56:32 pm
in the first half we had success running the ball.

in the second half all we did what throw.

Cheney needs to get a clue and remember who our stars on offense are and who they aren't

Hogs runs in the 3rd qtr

Collins 3 yards
Collins 1 yard
Collins -6 yards
Marshall 3 yards
Collins no gain
Marshall 6 yards

7 yards on 6 carries
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 30, 2014, 11:29:59 pm
Hogs runs in the 3rd qtr

Collins 3 yards
Collins 1 yard
Collins -6 yards
Marshall 3 yards
Collins no gain
Marshall 6 yards

7 yards on 6 carries

Imagine how much crying there would be if Chaney had stuck with the run, gotten stuffed for three and outs every possession, and not tried to pass. We'd be hearing about HDN 2.0 and 3 yards and a cloud of dust etc. we got beat in the second half by a better team with better players. No scheme or play call was going to change that.

FreshHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 30, 2014, 11:34:10 pm
Imagine how much crying there would be if Chaney had stuck with the run, gotten stuffed for three and outs every possession, and not tried to pass. We'd be hearing about HDN 2.0 and 3 yards and a cloud of dust etc. we got beat in the second half by a better team with better players. No scheme or play call was going to change that.

Exactly, apparently a bunch of these people dont understand that the RB's would be running into an 8-10 man wall. We would've ran the ball more IF our wide receivers didnt drop the ball, which would of made the defense play honest. Instead they were able to easily go with man coverage because they were dropping everything thrown at them.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 30, 2014, 11:29:59 pm
Hogs runs in the 3rd qtr

Collins 3 yards
Collins 1 yard
Collins -6 yards
Marshall 3 yards
Collins no gain
Marshall 6 yards

7 yards on 6 carries

and every one was up the middle.  they never attempted to get to the corner, no misdirection, no motion, no attempt to have a developed running game.

PorkSoda

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 30, 2014, 11:34:10 pm
bulll crap.  the only difference between the first and second half was that we gave up on the run.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 30, 2014, 11:45:05 pm
bulll crap.  the only difference between the first and second half was that we gave up on the run.

Um...and the fact that auburn stuffed it. If the run was working, they would have  used it. Plus we were trying to play catch up.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 30, 2014, 09:04:37 pm
We had 7 rushes for 2 yards in the 2nd half. Auburn realized that Brandon Allen wasn't the weakness, it's the receivers. They put 9-10 in the box and made the receivers win the routes. They couldn't.

Exactly! Why can't some people see things like that. Auburn had everyone near the LOS. When we did try to run, they stuffed it. That 3rd and 5 run to the right got AC mauled. They blew that play up from the jump.

Plus, Auburn had the ball almost the entire 2nd half, running twelve more offensive plays than we. We had only 11 in the 4th quarter to their 21...hard to run the ball when you're on the sidelines...
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

PurpleBullHog

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 30, 2014, 09:00:25 pm
We were gashing them with an inside trap play in the first half. They adjusted to it. We kept trying to run it though. Probably should have went off tackle or stretch play.

+1

Westcoasthog

The big question is had Bobby Petrino not been fired would he have had this record?  I want answers.  Bobby Petrino only lost to Auburn once in his coaching
tenture at Arkansas.   This is Bret Bielema secord year loss to Auburn.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 30, 2014, 09:27:31 pm

Folks, the point of this offense is force the defense to overplay the run and not be able to adequately defend the pass.

Last year, opponents were able to get away with only 7-8 men in the box. Today, Auburn got destroyed when they tried that. They had put 9-10 in the box and they didn't have near enough guys to properly cover the pass.

We couldn't take advantage of that because of all the drops. But Allen was accurate and Auburn had to sell out to keep from getting gashed. That's real progress. I'm happy with it. To me, most of the improvement this year needs to come on defense.

Agree with above post, specially the last sentence.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

hogville38

August 31, 2014, 03:12:53 am #74 Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 03:34:44 am by hogville38
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 30, 2014, 09:01:51 pm
all we did was run straight up the middel.  6 second half rushes is not an attempt to play to our strength.
I fully agree. We did not run hardly at all in second half. When are we ever going to be able to make passes down the field?  I personally think that Chaney may not have as much confidence in BA than he lets on. If we are going to abrandon the run why dont we stretch it out a play more than two reciever sets. Is it just me or does it always feel like chaney is playing it safe? Hell what do we have to lose. Try some stuff over the middle. I feel at some point they are going to just let BA sling it and if it doesn't work atleast you tried. I am also not at all happy with defense. We got handled at every position. Trey was not a factor which suprised me.

hogville38

August 31, 2014, 03:21:00 am #75 Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 03:31:55 am by hogville38
Quote from: PorkRinds on August 30, 2014, 11:46:56 pm
Um...and the fact that auburn stuffed it. If the run was working, they would have  used it. Plus we were trying to play catch up.
That was not catch up. That was playing to conservative in the second half. They were run rushing alot. Why not let them come and drop a screen to a rb? That would have went for big yards. Auburns defense just stopped playing any type of cover and just was comming full boar evefy play. The rb screen was there. Can we not run quick slants over the middle? If our receivers cant run the easiest route in football they need to get out of the SEC. Time to start giving the young guys more playing time. These recievers are not doing their job.

hogville38

Quote from: je100 on August 30, 2014, 10:01:53 pm
I'm not convinced, Pork, that we have stars on the offensive side of the ball.  I like all three of our backs, but I'm not convinced we have star quality there.  I know that's not the popular stance, but for some reason, I'm not convinced.
You serious? No star quality in our rbs? You have lost your damn mind.