Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

why did we give up on the first half game plan?

Started by PorkSoda, August 30, 2014, 08:56:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

in the first half we had success running the ball.

in the second half all we did what throw.

Cheney needs to get a clue and remember who our stars on offense are and who they aren't
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ricepig

We didn't, Auburn shut the running game down, 2 yards rushing in the second half.

razorsharptusk

I agree.  Run the ball.  That is what we are built for.  Things are changing. Alabama even went no huddle tonight.  I feel we might be becoming a dinosaur. Mobile QB's are becoming necessity.
GO HOGS!!

elksnort

They made us give it up. Looked like they clogged up the A and B gaps that were getting gashed in the first half. 

Peter Porker

We were gashing them with an inside trap play in the first half. They adjusted to it. We kept trying to run it though. Probably should have went off tackle or stretch play.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Nosboar Accubond

Tusks

how do you run against 10 in the box when those 10 are top 5 talent?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ShadowTheHedgehog

They stacked the box, we tried a few runs and they stopped us. I think we panicked then and just abandoned the run. The problem was that when we abandoned the run we did not fully commit to the pass. The result was us running 2 WRs sets vs a fully stacked box and double covered WRs. Makes it hard. I like Chaney but tonight he was outcoached. Nothing to do but watch film learn from it and move onto the next game.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ricepig on August 30, 2014, 08:57:40 pm
We didn't, Auburn shut the running game down, 2 yards rushing in the second half.
all we did was run straight up the middel.  6 second half rushes is not an attempt to play to our strength.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

razorsharptusk

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 30, 2014, 09:00:25 pm
We were gashing them with an inside trap play in the first half. They adjusted to it. We kept trying to run it though. Probably should have went off tackle or stretch play.

Yes like marshall around the corner.  Guy can fly.  But nothing.
GO HOGS!!

ShadowTheHedgehog

Was thinking the same thing, looked to me like the only run we had to the sides was the toss play.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

elksnort

Quote from: tusked on August 30, 2014, 09:01:47 pm
how do you run against 10 in the box when those 10 are top 5 talent?
you don't really get throw the ball as you know. Do we have receivers on that football team that can separate? If we do then by all means play them

Fayettechill14

We had 7 rushes for 2 yards in the 2nd half. Auburn realized that Brandon Allen wasn't the weakness, it's the receivers. They put 9-10 in the box and made the receivers win the routes. They couldn't.

bphi11ips

Quote from: elksnort on August 30, 2014, 08:59:23 pm
They made us give it up. 

If Auburn can completely impose its will on our offense and hold it to 2 yards rushing in an entire half, we are in serious trouble.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Wildhog on August 30, 2014, 09:03:46 pm
Zero creativity.

You were whining about that creativity (halfback passes, fake punts, etc) last year.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on August 30, 2014, 09:03:46 pm
Zero creativity. 

Had plenty in the first half, it seemed in the first half down two scores they didn't abandon the game plan, in the second, we dropped it after the INT.

pigsooietim

AU stopped hedging and we were dead in the water. All the guys in the box were no longer being sealed off. And the receivers were either dropping the ball or getting zero seperation. Add to that we just refused to dial up the deep throw ... Poor coaching by our entire staff. Period.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 30, 2014, 09:05:12 pm
You were whining about that creativity (halfback passes, fake punts, etc) last year.
no counters no misdirection.  zero creativity in the run game

clutch

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 30, 2014, 09:04:40 pm
If Auburn can completely impose its will on our offense and hold it to 2 yards rushing in an entire half, we are in serious trouble.

That wasn't a bad defense. They are better than they were last year.

hehawg

When the defense loads the line the running game stops. There were so many opportunities to burn Auburn on a deep ball. The only problem is there are NO "go-to" guys proven and there never will be if the ball is not spread around the field. Almost the entire auburn defense hugged the line of scrimmage because they knew we were not going to pass the ball. Until we can get a respectable play action "go-to" guy we will continue to struggle keeping drives alive.
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

pigsooietim

Quote from: hehawg on August 30, 2014, 09:07:29 pm
When the defense loads the line the running game stops. There were so many opportunities to burn Auburn on a deep ball. The only problem is there are NO "go-to" guys proven and there never will be if the ball is not spread around the field. Almost the entire auburn defense hugged the line of scrimmage because they knew we were not going to pass the ball. Until we can get a respectable play action "go-to" guy we will continue to struggle keeping drives alive.

What scares me is we have had two years to get or develop that go to guy. I just think Long is comfortable with a nice yes man and we arent going to spend the money on recruiting to attract a head coach who can get it done. We got lucky with Petrino that will never happen again for us.

clutch

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 30, 2014, 09:04:37 pm
We had 7 rushes for 2 yards in the 2nd half. Auburn realized that Brandon Allen wasn't the weakness, it's the receivers. They put 9-10 in the box and made the receivers win the routes. They couldn't.

It's really this simple. They decided at half to make our wrs win the game for us. They made the right call.

The run was no longer there. They completely took it away. Our wrs will have to make the plays to keep defenses honest. Especially good defenses that have the players to shut down the run.

I know we like to think Auburn doesn't have a good defense, but they were pretty good. They didn't look that way in the first half, but that was more because our offense was clicking like it's designed to. Auburn reevaluated our weakness at half and determined it was our receivers, not QB.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 30, 2014, 09:04:37 pm
Yep, this pretty much covers it. We had three drives in the third quarter.

The first, we passed every down. Three and out.

The second, we got a big completion, then ran for a yard, then passed for 5 yards, then ran for a loss.

The third, we ran for 3 yards then Allen had the pick six.

At that point, you're down 21-35 and you know your defense can't stop Auburn, so you have to start throwing.

It wasn't that we abandoned the run; Auburn stopped the run and then we were so behind we had to start passing.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

BlackWater

Quote from: razorsharptusk on August 30, 2014, 08:59:08 pm
I agree.  Run the ball.  That is what we are built for.  Things are changing. Alabama even went no huddle tonight.  I feel we might be becoming a dinosaur. Mobile QB's are becoming necessity.
I had mention about mobile QB in another thread.

bphi11ips

Quote from: clutch on August 30, 2014, 09:07:22 pm
That wasn't a bad defense. They are better than they were last year.

2 yards. We're a running team.

You can polish a turd all you want, but the second half was about as bad as it gets.  There's no excuse.  It was terrible. This team has a lot of work to do.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

elksnort

If BA had a Joe Adams, a Greg Childs, etc. he'd be more successful.  For some reason, the hogs can't put it all together for all positions at the same year. 

clutch

Quote from: pigsooietim on August 30, 2014, 09:12:04 pm
What scares me is we have had two years to get or develop that go to guy. I just think Long is comfortable with a nice yes man and we arent going to spend the money on recruiting to attract a head coach who can get it done. We got lucky with Petrino that will never happen again for us.

I think you think that because that's what you want to believe. If you can't see that BB and staff are building something here you aren't looking hard enough.

He's said time and time again that he builds from the line up. He believes that if he builds a great line skill players will want to come play with him. So basically the skill guys are the last piece. It's not an overnight fix. Building a team the right way takes time.

Steef

Quote from: elksnort on August 30, 2014, 08:59:23 pm
They made us give it up. Looked like they clogged up the A and B gaps that were getting gashed in the first half.

This.

They also started full blitzes, getting into Brandon's face. Hence, the pick.

We didn't pick it up.

pigsooietim

I used to wonder why sooo many old timers were always so down on the Hogs.. They would always tell me they are gonna lose. You are wasting your time we will get beat and so forth. Since I was in High school I can recall old timers being so pessimistic about my Hogs. I get it now.

We finally had a winning coach and we fired him. Now we are stuck with a big oaf from whiskey who can't coach to save his life. All he knows is integrity and run over people. Thats fine for that minor league big 10 but it won't work here.

I"m growing more and more apathetic .. If you stacked the box like that against a Petrino team it would be one toss and a touchdown.. Even with BA at QB. Because his receivers and qb's would have practiced the route a million times !!!!!!

apathy thats whats sinking in quickly.

pigsooietim

Quote from: clutch on August 30, 2014, 09:16:05 pm
I think you think that because that's what you want to believe. If you can't see that BB and staff are building something here you aren't looking hard enough.

He's said time and time again that he builds from the line up. He believes that if he builds a great line skill players will want to come play with him. So basically the skill guys are the last piece. It's not an overnight fix. Building a team the right way takes time.

Right because you can't recruit skill guys in the same class as you do lineman.. whatever.

Fayettechill14

Folks, the point of this offense is force the defense to overplay the run and not be able to adequately defend the pass.

Last year, opponents were able to get away with only 7-8 men in the box. Today, Auburn got destroyed when they tried that. They had put 9-10 in the box and they didn't have near enough guys to properly cover the pass.

We couldn't take advantage of that because of all the drops. But Allen was accurate and Auburn had to sell out to keep from getting gashed. That's real progress. I'm happy with it. To me, most of the improvement this year needs to come on defense.

Peter Porker

Quote from: pigsooietim on August 30, 2014, 09:24:50 pm
I used to wonder why sooo many old timers were always so down on the Hogs.. They would always tell me they are gonna lose. You are wasting your time we will get beat and so forth. Since I was in High school I can recall old timers being so pessimistic about my Hogs. I get it now.

We finally had a winning coach and we fired him. Now we are stuck with a big oaf from whiskey who can't coach to save his life. All he knows is integrity and run over people. Thats fine for that minor league big 10 but it won't work here.

I"m growing more and more apathetic .. If you stacked the box like that against a Petrino team it would be one toss and a touchdown.. Even with BA at QB. Because his receivers and qb's would have practiced the route a million times !!!!!!

apathy thats whats sinking in quickly.

Hope this means you'll stop posting soon.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 30, 2014, 09:27:31 pm
Folks, the point of this offense is force the defense to overplay the run and not be able to adequately defend the pass.

Last year, opponents were able to get away with only 7-8 men in the box. Today, Auburn got destroyed when they tried that. They had put 9-10 in the box and they didn't have near enough guys to properly cover the pass.

We couldn't take advantage of that because of all the drops. But Allen was accurate and Auburn had to sell out to keep from getting gashed. That's real progress. I'm happy with it. To me, most of the improvement this year needs to come on defense.
Destroyed!!!!  Really......dude we had 175 in the air total with a pick.....comon!!!
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: razorsharptusk on August 30, 2014, 08:59:08 pm
I feel we might be becoming a dinosaur.

Cheeze-a-saurous Rex is up 17-7 over LSU right now.

We need some more LBs and DBs and a few sure handed receivers and it will work in the SEC.

Jek Tono Porkins

Now, now, let's not start getting rational in here.

Grunt. Chaney suck. Grunt. Bielema fat. Grunt. We suck. Grunt.
There, that's more like it.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

code red

We missed 3 wide open receivers in the 1st half alone.  2 sideline routes and 1 right over the middle early??  The defense is not better....the secondary is not better...maybe worse.  The tackling is not better.  The Oline is great and the running backs are great. 

clutch

Quote from: pigsooietim on August 30, 2014, 09:26:32 pm
Right because you can't recruit skill guys in the same class as you do lineman.. whatever.

You can, but they are not your priority as of yet and probably wouldn't want to come yet.

You only have so many guys you can sign. The lineman take the longest to develop body wise so you get them in early. Next you move on to your other biggest areas of concern which is no doubt defensive players. Wrs are the last piece of the puzzle. We already have some coming though.

IUHog

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on August 30, 2014, 09:33:27 pm
Cheeze-a-saurous Rex is up 17-7 over LSU right now.

We need some more LBs and DBs and a few sure handed receivers and it will work in the SEC.
I built that team Brotha!!!

NEA_HogFan

This. I would have loved to see Korliss marshall get to the edge and blow by everyone when they had the box stacked.

clutch

Quote from: code red on August 30, 2014, 09:32:37 pm
Destroyed!!!!  Really......dude we had 175 in the air total with a pick.....comon!!!

By destroyed he was obviously referring to the running game. In the first half, when they had 7-8 in the box, we were destroying them on the ground.

freshprince83

Auburn Dt were blowing up your o line but over running the backs allowing your line to block the linebackers and get yards.Auburn adjusted its that simple. If we didnt over shoot in 1st half, I dont think yall score.Adams was blowing up the oline just kept running by the backs..Blackson and Wright a few times.

code red

Quote from: clutch on August 30, 2014, 09:43:20 pm
By destroyed he was obviously referring to the running game. In the first half, when they had 7-8 in the box, we were destroying them on the ground.
You are making no sense...and you are wrong.  They screwed down the safeties in the 2nd half and if needed I will submit video evidence to support it.

razorjack12

Pork Soda is right.  The first possession of the 2nd half we threw 3 times, ran 0.   That set the tone.

je100

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 30, 2014, 09:15:03 pm
Yep, this pretty much covers it. We had three drives in the third quarter.

The first, we passed every down. Three and out.

The second, we got a big completion, then ran for a yard, then passed for 5 yards, then ran for a loss.

The third, we ran for 3 yards then Allen had the pick six.

At that point, you're down 21-35 and you know your defense can't stop Auburn, so you have to start throwing.

It wasn't that we abandoned the run; Auburn stopped the run and then we were so behind we had to start passing.

Here is the answer to the thread in a nutshell.  I personally thought it was obvious to anyone watching the game that we didn't abandon the run, the run essentially abandoned us on the second and third possessions in the third quarter.  After that, it was ball game.  And, when you're defense is as porous as our was, you don't have the luxury of sticking to your offensive game plan.

ricepig

Quote from: freshprince83 on August 30, 2014, 09:46:23 pm
Auburn Dt were blowing up your o line but over running the backs allowing your line to block the linebackers and get yards.Auburn adjusted its that simple. If we didnt over shoot in 1st half, I dont think yall score.Adams was blowing up the oline just kept running by the backs..Blackson and Wright a few times.

Of course they were, how about you head back home, I'm sure we were fortunate to even get a yard......

code red

Quote from: je100 on August 30, 2014, 09:54:38 pm
Here is the answer to the thread in a nutshell.  I personally thought it was obvious to anyone watching the game that we didn't abandon the run, the run essentially abandoned us on the second and third possessions in the third quarter.  After that, it was ball game.  And, when you're defense is as porous as our was, you don't have the luxury of sticking to your offensive game plan.
This is essentially all that needs to be said.  It is true and the fundamental reason for such a lopsided victory by the Tigers.  The defense must get fixed.  If not I think we win 3. 

Fayettechill14

Quote from: code red on August 30, 2014, 09:38:04 pm
We missed 3 wide open receivers in the 1st half alone.  2 sideline routes and 1 right over the middle early??  The defense is not better....the secondary is not better...maybe worse.  The tackling is not better.  The Oline is great and the running backs are great.

Auburn was 9 of 10 for 133 yards passing against us last year. Our run defense looked better for a half. Pass defense was equally bad as last year. But it's one game under a new DC, and I think we'll improve each game from here on out.