Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas vs. Clemson

Started by Killean, August 30, 2014, 08:24:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Killean

Both teams scored 21 in the first half and were tied with their opponents on the road.  Both teams were scoreless in the 2nd half.  Both teams lost 45-21.

We lost on the road to the #6 team in the nation.  They lost on the road to the #12 team in the nation.

Do you think Clemson fans think they're going to go 3-9 this year?
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

bigred223

I guess I can't blame people for being negative, but we are going bowling this year.

redeye

Quote from: Hogarusa on August 30, 2014, 08:25:24 pm
Did they go 3-9 last year?

Does that matter?

Seriously, did you just pick the first negative thing that came into your feeble mind?

Great perspective OP!  +1

CallThemHawgs!

This thread makes literally no sense.

Marshfieldhog

Is Clemson on a 10 game losing skid?

hawgmasta

redeye

If anyone is feeling negative and wants to shout negative things, then that's fine.  But have some respect and don't subject others to your foul mood, because most here don't care.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: redeye on August 30, 2014, 08:32:07 pm
If anyone is feeling negative and wants to shout negative things, then that's fine.  But have some respect and don't subject others to your foul mood, because most here don't care.

Andddd most here dont care, if you dont care.

Hogarusa

Quote from: redeye on August 30, 2014, 08:28:53 pm
Does that matter?

Seriously, did you just pick the first negative thing that came into your feeble mind?

Great perspective OP!  +1

Overreact much?  Clemson is coming off a 11-2 season.  Arkansas is riding a 10 game losing streak.  It's not difficult to understand the differences in perspectives between the 2 fan bases.

And I am not one of the people saying Arkansas are going 3-9 this year.  It's just a silly comparison

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Killean on August 30, 2014, 08:24:06 pm
Both teams scored 21 in the first half and were tied with their opponents on the road.  Both teams were scoreless in the 2nd half.  Both teams lost 45-21.

We lost on the road to the #6 team in the nation.  They lost on the road to the #12 team in the nation.

Temple went 2-10 last year and Vandy went 9-4.  Did that matter in that 37-7 Temple beat down Thursday night?

HogGoneWild

They have the ACC and we have the SEC west plus this year's eventual sec champion UGA

HiggiePiggy

They probably would if they had the type of seasons we had the last 2 years and have another 6 ranked teams to play.   
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

redeye

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on August 30, 2014, 08:32:57 pm
Andddd most here dont care, if you dont care.

I'm not asking them to care.  I'm asking them to have some respect for others.

redeye

Quote from: Hogarusa on August 30, 2014, 08:33:11 pm
Overreact much?  Clemson is coming off a 11-2 season.  Arkansas is riding a 10 game losing streak.  It's not difficult to understand the differences in perspectives between the 2 fan bases.

And I am not one of the people saying Arkansas are going 3-9 this year.  It's just a silly comparison

Well, I could ask you the same thing.  If Arkansas were coming off an 11-2 season, then I'd be far more upset about today's loss.

Hogarusa

Quote from: redeye on August 30, 2014, 08:36:19 pm
Well, I could ask you the same thing.  If Arkansas were coming off an 11-2 season, then I'd be far more upset about today's loss.

But you definitely wouldn't be claiming that the Hogs were going to finish 3-9 because of it.  See?

redeye

Quote from: Hogarusa on August 30, 2014, 08:43:35 pm
But you definitely wouldn't be claiming that the Hogs were going to finish 3-9 because of it.  See?

No, I don't see.  After coming off an 11-2 season, you're right that I wouldn't be claiming the Hogs would finish 3-9, but I guess I'm missing your point?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: redeye on August 30, 2014, 10:03:40 pm
No, I don't see.  After coming off an 11-2 season, you're right that I wouldn't be claiming the Hogs would finish 3-9, but I guess I'm missing your point?

The point is that is what the OP was suggesting.  We aren't coming off a 11 win season. We are coming off our worse season in history.  So why would we as fans think that it would get better?   Clemson is coming off an 11 win season so they have plenty to be excited about for the year. 

ShadowTheHedgehog

+1

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on August 30, 2014, 10:09:42 pm
+1

For actually agreeing with that crap.  It's comparing apples to oranges. 

fakebobholt

Did they give up 600 yards and look as bad as we have in years in the 2nd half. Did they have less than 40 yards and 3 first downs in the second half. Those pesky stats and facts always get in the way of imiginary comparisons

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: HogGoneWild on August 30, 2014, 08:35:09 pm
They have the ACC and we have the SEC west plus this year's eventual sec champion UGA

Now I have been told right here that Georgia is ripe for the picking in Little Rock...you know, new QB and all.....and so is A&M....

ripe for the picking

PRJ

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 30, 2014, 10:16:38 pm

For actually agreeing with that crap.  It's comparing apples to oranges.

The game and the stats yes, BUT, the reaction to the loss is what I was thinking about. They still believe in their team, many here just gave up.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on August 30, 2014, 10:22:49 pm
The game and the stats yes, BUT, the reaction to the loss is what I was thinking about. They still believe in their team, many here just gave up.

That's because it's completely different.   We are coming off a 4-8 season and a 3-9 season.   

Clemson is coming off back to back 11-2 seasons.  They have plenty to be excited for the rest of the season.  Razorback fans on the other hand are seeing the same crap we saw the last 2 years.   

redeye

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 30, 2014, 10:07:17 pm
The point is that is what the OP was suggesting.  We aren't coming off a 11 win season. We are coming off our worse season in history.  So why would we as fans think that it would get better?   Clemson is coming off an 11 win season so they have plenty to be excited about for the year.

If Hogarusa is reading this, I want to apologize.

I've seen so many negative posts mentioning our 3-9 record last year, that I thought that's what he was doing, too.  It even surprised me, because I know he wasn't negative in other threads.  I thought he was trying to lessen the OP's good point by bringing up last year, but I see now that he was doing just the opposite and that was my mistake.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 30, 2014, 10:28:16 pm
That's because it's completely different.   We are coming off a 4-8 season and a 3-9 season.   

Clemson is coming off back to back 11-2 seasons.  They have plenty to be excited for the rest of the season.  Razorback fans on the other hand are seeing the same crap we saw the last 2 years.

Still, we just played one of the best teams in the SEC (nation), #6 in the ranking, runners up to the natty last year and we showed a lot of progress. I don't say we are going to go win the SEC-w but just giving up completely after this loss is overreacting. We will beat the 4 non-SEC teams and then have a chance of going bowling if we play well against the other sec teams.

Arkansas Fan

Clemson is in much better shape than we are.

HiggiePiggy

We showed some progress in the first half. We didn't show anything in the second half.  I believe we are a little better offensively, but I see no change defensively and we are playing in a conference that has some of the top defenses in the nation that will be able to shut our run game down.  When that happens our defense hasn't shown they can stop anything.

Hogarusa

Quote from: redeye on August 30, 2014, 10:28:57 pm
If Hogarusa is reading this, I want to apologize.

I've seen so many negative posts mentioning our 3-9 record last year, that I thought that's what he was doing, too.  It even surprised me, because I know he wasn't negative in other threads.  I thought he was trying to lessen the OP's good point by bringing up last year, but I see now that he was doing just the opposite and that was my mistake.

No worries, all is well

GoHogs1091

There is really no comparison.  Clemson's issues in that game today were 3 fold.

1.  Clemson had 3 usual starters suspended for the entire game (a Defensive End, a Left Offensive Guard, and a Cornerback).  The suspended Defensive End and the suspended Left Offensive Guard could very well be All-Conference players (both are Seniors with a lot of experience, and the usual LG is 330 lbs.; the replacement LG is 300 lbs.)

2.  Morris, their OC, had to get real conservative with his play calling during the entire 2nd half due to poor field position because of Georgia's punting (very good Punter for Georgia).  Clemson lost their rhythm on offense that they had in the 1st half because of that conservative play calling he had to do during the entire 2nd half.

3.  Clemson was facing Todd Gurley, who is most likely the best RB in all of college football.  Gurley is the best RB I have seen in the SEC since McFadden.

We didn't have any of those above issues today in Auburn. 

LRRandy

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 30, 2014, 11:26:41 pm
There is really no comparison.  Clemson's issues in that game today were 3 fold.

1.  Clemson had 3 usual starters suspended for the entire game (a Defensive End, a Left Offensive Guard, and a Cornerback).  The suspended Defensive End and the suspended Left Offensive Guard could very well be All-Conference players (both are Seniors with a lot of experience, and the usual LG is 330 lbs.; the replacement LG is 300 lbs.)

2.  Morris, their OC, had to get real conservative with his play calling during the entire 2nd half due to poor field position because of Georgia's punting (very good Punter for Georgia).  Clemson lost their rhythm on offense that they had in the 1st half because of that conservative play calling he had to do during the entire 2nd half.

3.  Clemson was facing Todd Gurley, who is most likely the best RB in all of college football.  Gurley is the best RB I have seen in the SEC since McFadden.

We didn't have any of those above issues today in Auburn.
yeah their defensive coordinator didn't really have any answers.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on August 30, 2014, 10:34:41 pm
Clemson is in much better shape than we are.
i thought the strength and conditioning coach was supposed to be doing a great job. I appears there remains work to be done.
This is fun, isn't it.

hogman64

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 30, 2014, 10:37:02 pm
We showed some progress in the first half. We didn't show anything in the second half.  I believe we are a little better offensively, but I see no change defensively and we are playing in a conference that has some of the top defenses in the nation that will be able to shut our run game down.  When that happens our defense hasn't shown they can stop anything.

pretty much on target in my opinion...............

GoHogs1091

Quote from: LRRandy on August 30, 2014, 11:46:33 pm
yeah their defensive coordinator didn't really have any answers.

Not having that usual Defensive End (Corey Crawford), and not having that usual Cornerback really was a hinderance.  Those 2 defensive players will be back for the rest of their season.

Swinney suspended them for the entire game.  I presume he could have just suspended them for a half like Malzahn suspended Marshall, but Swinney disciplines players instead of doing "token/slap on the wrist" discipline.

Atlhogfan1

SC St
FSU
NC
NC St
Lousiville
BC
Syracuse
Wake
GT
Ga St
SCar

I would trade schedules with Clemson.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 31, 2014, 12:12:07 am
SC St
FSU
NC
NC St
Lousiville
BC
Syracuse
Wake
GT
Ga St
SCar

I would trade schedules with Clemson.

What is sad is I can see 7 or 8 wins for Arkansas right now out of that schedule. But being in that conference how much different would our recruiting be? 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 31, 2014, 12:20:22 am
What is sad is I can see 7 or 8 wins for Arkansas right now out of that schedule. But being in that conference how much different would our recruiting be?

Yep.  We get some better players because of our conference.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys.