Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Three quick thoughts

Started by devildog, August 30, 2014, 07:55:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

devildog

Brandon Allen was pretty darn good, servicable SEC QB - he can't catch it for em'.
Game turned/was lost when 85 let pass bounce off his numbers for first down in 3rd qtr.
With every Malzahn win I hate TCTWF more and more.

Poker_hog

Quote from: devildog on August 30, 2014, 07:55:16 pm
Brandon Allen was pretty darn good, servicable SEC QB - he can't catch it for em'.
Game turned/was lost when 85 let pass bounce off his numbers for first down in 3rd qtr.

BA played well.  Unfortunately we'll need more than a serviceable qb to win the sec.  Maybe peavey or story can develop into an elite qb.  We don't recruit well enough to win big with a serviceable qb.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

wupigsuey

Seems we abandoned the run game to me.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Wupigg1

Quote from: Poker_hog on August 30, 2014, 08:12:42 pm
BA played well.  Unfortunately we'll need more than a serviceable qb to win the sec.  Maybe peavey or story can develop into an elite qb.  We don't recruit well enough to win big with a serviceable qb.
brandon was more than serviceable. Catch the ball.

clutch

Quote from: wupigsuey on August 30, 2014, 08:14:01 pm
Seems we abandoned the run game to me.

We abandoned it because they loaded the box. They were conceding the pass banking on wrs not making catches. They made a good call. We could of continued to run and ran straight into a brick wall the whole second half, but then we'd just be b****ing about how we should have passed.

It comes down to our wrs, if they can start catching the balls they need to catch, out offense will be hard to stop. If not, everyone will just load up and make us throw. We will still be able to run on some teams even with a loaded box, auburn wasn't one of those teams.

swinesation

Many of the passes were behind the receivers.

BigSexyHog

Quote from: clutch on August 30, 2014, 08:17:50 pm
We abandoned it because they loaded the box. They were conceding the pass banking on wrs not making catches. They made a good call. We could of continued to run and ran straight into a brick wall the whole second half, but then we'd just be b****ing about how we should have passed.

It comes down to our wrs, if they can start catching the balls they need to catch, out offense will be hard to stop. If not, everyone will just load up and make us throw. We will still be able to run on some teams even with a loaded box, auburn wasn't one of those teams.

Even with them loading the box we still couldn't throw.  We tried a bunch of 1-3 yard routes and even had a hard time with them in the second half
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

RazorWild

This guy gets it.

GBHawg

Everyone will load the box on us. We better figure it out quickly.

Hogeration

Did we ever throw to the middle of the field?

Hoggish1

Quote from: RazorWild on August 30, 2014, 08:22:23 pm

This guy gets it.

I'll agree with this.  When the receivers stretch the field, then catch the ball, things will change.

Pigstie

We were done after the pick six.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

TMc

Absolutely right.., Auburn's defense was a heckuva lot better than I thought they would be.

kiddhog

Quote from: Hogeration on August 30, 2014, 08:37:22 pm

No we didn't ... you make the defenses' job so much easier when they only half to defend the sidelines. but we have seen this before!

clutch

Quote from: GBHawg on August 30, 2014, 08:24:47 pm

As they should. That's why I said it all comes down to our wrs being able to make the routine plays. Our wrs don't have to be world beaters. They just have to be capable of making the routine plays to move the chains and keep the defense honest. If we short pass them to death, they will eventually back out of the box and open things back up for out rbs.

Just do enough to keep the defense honest and then let our rbs be our playmakers.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Pigstie on August 30, 2014, 08:59:31 pm
We were done after the pick six.

Correct.  Allen, bless his heart, still can't keep from throwing one at the most inopportune time.  That play officially ended our chances...even though it was a slim chance at best.  We had bigger problems than Allen today.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

I'm certain they figured it out before it happened.  Unfortunately, you can't fix having no talent in your passing game.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Pigstie

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 30, 2014, 09:07:02 pm
Correct.  Allen, bless his heart, still can't keep from throwing one at the most inopportune time.  That play officially ended our chances...even though it was a slim chance at best.  We had bigger problems than Allen today.
True.... I don't think he lost the game for us by any means... but like I stated before the game, he was going to have to have a great game for us to win. You can't give up a pick six, you just can't. He has a live arm, but never should have thrown that pass that was picked.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

devildog

He had a split second to hang in and throw or take the sack, he made the gutsy albeit ill advised decision.

Quickdraw

Quote from: devildog on August 30, 2014, 09:40:53 pm
He had a split second to hang in and throw or take the sack, he made the gutsy albeit ill advised
decision.

yes it was ill advised but you can never down a young man for playing the best he can. BA will learn from this and make better decisions. He played a very good game.

lasthog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 30, 2014, 09:07:02 pm
[/quote?
Yeah, when HH got knocked backwards by a linebacker 40 lbs lighter than he is , allowing said all world LB unobstructed access to BA, hitting him as threw the ball, he just couldn't help himself.  Bless his heart. Geez.

hogdoc97

BA can be adequate, but we need him to be exceptional to have a chance at winning.

clutch

Quote from: hogdoc97 on August 30, 2014, 10:03:34 pm
BA can be adequate, but we need him to be exceptional to have a chance at winning.

No we don't. He did enough tonight for us to win quite a few games. He just needs cooperation from the guys on the other end of the pass. BA doesn't have to be exceptional, neither do our WRs, they just have to be good enough to clear out some running room for our RBs. If our wrs can't win their battles and catch routine passes the running game will never be there. If the can, our rbs will win us a lot of games.

Magic_Hogg

yeah

SamBuckhart

please catch the passes. Going to be a long year if we don't.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

fullfan

QB was not the problem and is a potential bright spot on this team.   We might as well face it we need some talent upgrade at WR.  The WRs just don't seem to get separation and when they do its either a catch or drop.   Just not open enough against man coverage will allow teams to keep crowding the box.

Bottom line - Offense is much improved and will get better as season moves on.  Defense - another long season.   

Rebuilding is tough but you have to be blind to not see the progress this program is making under CBB and staff.   They will have to continue to upgrade the talent but other than defense it may not be that far off.

pigbacon

Quote from: Hogeration on August 30, 2014, 08:37:22 pm

Quote from: kiddhog on August 30, 2014, 09:03:21 pm
No we didn't ... you make the defenses' job so much easier when they only half to defend the sidelines. but we have seen this before!

One I remember where BA threw low and a little behind the receiver, but was completed. Most receivers that are shaky and can't catch what's in their hands on the sidelines dang sure aren't going to catch across the middle.

Carl Lazlo

BA made some good throws and he made some bad throws.

The receivers had some bad drops but also made some great catches.

Passing game has to keep progressing as a whole.

RockyMtnHog

I think that Hunter Henry and AJ Derby both caught passes that were over the middle today but we stopped going to the tight end when the running game got stopped.  Hatcher dropped a TD pass and there were numerous sideline passes that the ball hit them in the hands and were dropped.  Wilson and Hollister both made plays today.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Hog Fan...DOH!

Holy crap, folks.  Keon Hatcher dropped a potentially game-changing TD in the first half.  BA dropped a perfect pass down the sideline and Hatcher just flat out dropped the dang ball.  Our WRs have to get better.  You can't drop TDs.   

For crying out loud. 

WilsonHog

We have possession receivers, for the most part, with the possible exception of Hatcher. We're not going to stretch the field vertically too often, because we don't have the personnel to do that. This offense is built around running the football, play-action passes, and short routes.

razorbackfanatic

TD to Derby was straight down the middle.

HF#1

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 30, 2014, 10:38:39 pm
We have possession receivers, for the most part, with the possible exception of Hatcher. We're not going to stretch the field vertically too often, because we don't have the personnel to do that. This offense is built around running the football, play-action passes, and short routes.

We have to get vertical with the passing game.  If the speed isn't there then we have to figure something out, get creative.  Wheel routes or double moves.  Auburn was all over our short passing game the second half.  We at least have to try a deep ball or two every drive to keep them guessing.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HF#1 on August 30, 2014, 10:52:02 pm
We have to get vertical with the passing game.  If the speed isn't there then we have to figure something out, get creative.  Wheel routes or double moves.  Auburn was all over our short passing game the second half.  We at least have to try a deep ball or two every drive to keep them guessing.

We had one for a TD.  A perfect ball...dropped.

HF#1

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 30, 2014, 10:53:32 pm
We had one for a TD.  A perfect ball...dropped.

I know...  I wanted to vomit.  If Hatcher can't make that catch then we need to replace him with someone that can.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hogeration

Quote from: HF#1 on August 30, 2014, 10:52:02 pm
Because for 2 years we only throw to the flat or wheel routes.  We don't use the whole field in the passing game.  It worked the first half but not the second.  Adjust and throw it to the middle of the field.  I hate the play that caused the pick 6.  Fake to one sideline and then throw to the other.  It would have probably been a TD if it was completed but it takes too long.  (I watched the replay and the receiver running the fly on the left side had the defender beat.)

downsouthhawg72

I say just play all freshman WR's, play Peavey, start all freshman DB's....make Gaines & Allen water boys & just play. Can't be no worse than the guys we had last year that couldn't tackle, couldn't cover on defense & guys that couldn't catch on offense.
DownSouthHawg

Quickdraw

Quote from: Hogeration on August 30, 2014, 10:57:30 pm
Because for 2 years we only throw to the flat or wheel routes.  We don't use the whole field in the passing game.  It worked the first half but not the second.  Adjust and throw it to the middle of the field.  I hate the play that caused the pick 6.  Fake to one sideline and then throw to the other.  It would have probably been a TD if it was completed but it takes too long.  (I watched the replay and the receiver running the fly on the left side had the defender beat.)

There is nothing wrong with the play calling. Nothing wrong with throwing to the side lines and nothing wrong throwing over the middle. But none this manners if the WR/TE do not catch the football with there hands and not the body!

WizardofhOgZ

Well said.

PurpleBullHog

Quote from: Poker_hog on August 30, 2014, 08:12:42 pm

I agree with the premise, but I don't think anybody's really thinking about winning the SEC this year.  Or maybe not even next.  Bowling would be a great step for our club this year and maybe 8-ish w's next year.  By then those guys will be up and playing and maybe we can start competing for a the SEC.  I would love nothing more than going worst to first this year, but we have to still take the long view for putting the pieces of this program back together. 

kcolton

The only thing I have to say after the game is Woo Pig  Sooie! We will be alright as long as we keep  improving .

razorback44

So dumb. So, so dumb. We had multiple completed passes over the middle.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

pigsooietim

Exactly could you imagine what Gus would do with our line and our RB's ? If we had switched coaches during the off season then it would have been us walking away with the win. Smite away but its true. TCTWF did more to hurt the program than any one except maybe Jeff Long. Its damn close.

Hog N Bama

My one thought... CATCH THE BALL
KJ Hill's  commit was very timely. We need WR's that can catch the ball.
I hope CBB and Chaney give the younger  WR's some playing time. Can't hurt

joeyself

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on August 31, 2014, 01:24:37 am
Looked like one team went in at half and got coached.

And then their were those hogs.

I went back and watched the 3rd quarter again before I deleted the game from the DVR, because that is what I thought--Auburn made adjustments and we didn't.   But for a field goal that hit the uprights, Auburn would have hung 24 points on us each half, with different quarterbacks doing different things (and I do realize that 7 of those points were on the turnover).

I think I should have watched some of the first half to see exactly what Auburn was doing "wrong" that we exploited on the ground.  Whatever it was, they changed it for the second half.  Whatever adjustments we made on defense may have been negated by the QB change.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

joeyself

Quote from: pigsooietim on August 31, 2014, 03:48:00 am
Exactly could you imagine what Gus would do with our line and our RB's ? If we had switched coaches during the off season then it would have been us walking away with the win. Smite away but its true. TCTWF did more to hurt the program than any one except maybe Jeff Long. Its damn close.

No smite from me; my signature, written the day CBB was chosen, says what I still think.  I hope by year 4, the ship here is righted.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

sechog

Quote from: swinesation on August 30, 2014, 08:21:56 pm
Many of the passes were behind the receivers.

The ones they dropped were right on the money.

TheRazorback500

1. Just.
2. Gotta.
3. Finish.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

HognotinMemphis

One quick thought: the Hogs' leading receiver was AJ Derby. Can't win vs average competition with that.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

sowmonella

The biggest problem with our offense is our defense. We had very a very limited amount of plays in the game. Drops were bad and drive killers and can be corrected. Our safety play was horrible. Chaney went after what they were giving us. We are improved.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003