Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will anybody else be watching Louisville this year ?

Started by pigsooietim, August 30, 2014, 02:08:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigsooietim

I don't think you will lose your fan card for watching Louisville and Petrino's fun offense this year.. Anyone else plan to watch their games this year ? Maybe have a game thread here ?  :razorback:

Atlhogfan1

I'll watch in hoping they lose most every game.  Not a Cards fan.  A good program but they remind me of WV or TCU of the last decade. 

And I know any success Petrino has will be used to attack our program, university. AD and fan base.  If those who would do this could refrain, maybe I would have a little softer spot for Bobby.

Did you see WKU and Brohm last night?  I would think you would have liked his high pace spread offense. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

pigsooietim

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 30, 2014, 02:11:36 pm
I'll watch in hoping they lose most every game.  Not a Cards fan.  A good program but they remind me of WV or TCU of the last decade. 

And I know any success Petrino has will be used to attack our program, university. AD and fan base.  If those who would do this could refrain, maybe I would have a little softer spot for Bobby.

Did you see WKU and Brohm last night?  I would think you would have liked his high pace spread offense.

No I was helping my neighbor with her new furniture.. So I missed that.. I doubt Petrino will do anything to attack our program.. He's gone. Unfortunately. But I love his offense and look forward to watching his team play. Not as much as I am my team.. I just hate our luck.. If it takes CBB 5 years like they are saying then Longs decision set us back 7 years.. When you consider we were favored to win it all during Petrino's returning year. I'm pissed at Petrino for putting himself in the position he did. But equally ticked at Long for not keeping him. And very unhappy about the John L experiment..

Anyway, I hope this isnt one of those boards where you get picked on for liking a coach that did a ton of good for our program.. I'm really not sure how Petrino's success could harm our program. Jeff made a decision that was based either on integrity or self promotion and really only he knows which.

Thanks for the response  :razorback: ;)

tophawg19

sure will . i try to catch as many good offenses as i can . even enjoyed A & M'S destruction of USCe. [[ choke, choke spit]]. every once in a while i like watching Georgia tech or Air Force for the triple option. i love good offense of all kinds
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

pigsooietim

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 30, 2014, 02:22:55 pm
sure will . i try to catch as many good offenses as i can . even enjoyed A & M'S destruction of USCe. [[ choke, choke spit]]. every once in a while i like watching Georgia tech or Air Force for the triple option. i love good offense of all kinds

The Aggies looked smooth.. I look forward to some discussion with you then. I think Louisville plays Monday night ? Big games at FSU and stuff for Petrino this year. Thanks for the response.

tophawg19

it's all good . i'm a football fan . Hogs first , then give me a great offense . really enjoy watching when a top O/C goes against a top D/C . fast paced chess match. especially good when talent is pretty even
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hoggie17

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 30, 2014, 02:32:06 pm
it's all good . i'm a football fan . Hogs first , then give me a great offense . really enjoy watching when a top O/C goes against a top D/C . fast paced chess match. especially good when talent is pretty even
I will be watching, he is one the best play callers in college football.  I have never been bored wacthing a BP game.

Bebop

I'm going to the game since I live in Louisville and my co-worker has season tickets. Part of me wants Bobby to lose for messing up Arkansas due to the roster attrition and ruining the momentum that we had as a program. Another part hopes that he is truly repentant and has become a changed man.

Regardless, I imagine that Louisville is going to win. The only question mark for me is their defense.

IllinoisRazorbackFan

Quote from: pigsooietim on August 30, 2014, 02:08:31 pm
I don't think you will lose your fan card for watching Louisville and Petrino's fun offense this year.. Anyone else plan to watch their games this year ? Maybe have a game thread here ?  :razorback:
Yes! Yes! Yes!

majestic

The threads on here won't last long, that much is for sure.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

jswineberiaskirk

MSMHawg

Quote from: pigsooietim on August 30, 2014, 02:08:31 pm

Every game

BENTON PIGGEE

That was a fun game to watch.

Congratulations, Bobby.

trippigs

Fun game to watch and a big first win for Petrino. Always good to see Miami thugs get beat.

Hoggie17

I really enjoy good football, the same plays he ran while he was winning here still work.

Spikes

Quote from: majestic on September 01, 2014, 08:54:49 pm
The threads on here won't last long, that much is for sure.

It will last.. Anger strong with this one
You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

hawkhawg

A Charlie Strong defense with petrino's offense could be a nasty combination. 

Bebop

Quote from: hawkhawg on September 01, 2014, 10:53:23 pm
A Charlie Strong defense with petrino's offense could be a nasty combination.

Both sides look good tonight. There were some hiccups but overall good. Miami couldn't capitalize on some plays. Louisville will good but not unstoppable.

The Kig

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 01, 2014, 01:44:32 pm
No one else is, either. You named the two best in the college game.

Agreed... when we fell behind in the 2nd half, I really didn't have as big of an issue as some do with us going away from the run.  However, where I do agree with the Chaney doubters is that it isn't as simple as recognizing that you are behind and trying to pass to catch up.  It still fundamentally comes down to calling a play that moves your team down the field to score.  Playing catch-up means you have to shift.

The one major difference that I have been trying to put my finger on is this- there are just some coaches that call plays that have an intangible aggression that provides every play with the ability to score if there is a simple breakdown on the defensive side.  Other coaches think in terms of segments of yardage.  The play itself will only score if the entire defense misses tackles and is out of position.  This is what separates Malzahn from Sumlin offensively and is an even wider gap from most coaches.  Both run a speed based offense, with A&M more dink and dunk passing... they just had significantly better WR's than SC had DB's. 

Side Note:  Anyone watch the Louisville game last night and not have flashbacks?  The announcers talked about him being an ass, but 100% attributed the QB play to his coaching.  Talked about the line from Brohm through Mallett, Wilson and now with the QB at Louisville that will soon become a household name.

Poker Porker

PonderinHog

Kig, what I noticed was Louisville running the football effectively in the second half.

Bebop

Quote from: The Kig on September 02, 2014, 09:59:43 am
Side Note:  Anyone watch the Louisville game last night and not have flashbacks?  The announcers talked about him being an ass, but 100% attributed the QB play to his coaching.  Talked about the line from Brohm through Mallett, Wilson and now with the QB at Louisville that will soon become a household name.

I was there. The offense did look good in spite of having to replace Bridgewater and an injured Devonte Parker. Surprisingly, the defense played well and had a couple of interceptions.

While Petrino and Chaney come from similar offensive trees, I think Petrino is better at getting his guys to execute and mixing the playcalling up. I will say, however, that there were times when Petrino was at Arkansas that his playcalling was stubborn (pass over run when the run game was working) and predictable (short yardage= B. Green). Regardless, I think Petrino is a good playcaller.

In regards to Louisville, next year is going to more problematic than this year. They lose a bit after this year.

Tha Rocketman

Quote from: pigsooietim on August 30, 2014, 02:16:56 pm
No I was helping my neighbor with her new furniture.. So I missed that.. I doubt Petrino will do anything to attack our program.. He's gone. Unfortunately. But I love his offense and look forward to watching his team play. Not as much as I am my team.. I just hate our luck.. If it takes CBB 5 years like they are saying then Longs decision set us back 7 years.. When you consider we were favored to win it all during Petrino's returning year. I'm pissed at Petrino for putting himself in the position he did. But equally ticked at Long for not keeping him. And very unhappy about the John L experiment..

Anyway, I hope this isnt one of those boards where you get picked on for liking a coach that did a ton of good for our program.. I'm really not sure how Petrino's success could harm our program. Jeff made a decision that was based either on integrity or self promotion and really only he knows which.

Thanks for the response  :razorback: ;)

Well stated!  I watched the second half, and it really made me miss Petrino.  Most posters are correct in that his offense was so much fun to watch and the execution was amazing.  HOGS #1, but I will be tuning into a few Cardinals games in the upcoming years.

While Petrino is ultimately at fault, I do blame Jeff Long as well for not letting the dust settle and then making an informed decision.  Instead of being a consensus Top 15 team we can't even win an SEC game. 

I hope football is still fun for our AD at the end of the year, or maybe better yet they will give him another raise.   ::)

rzrbackrob

BP for all his faults runs a brand of football that is must watch for football junkies.

While BB might have HDN, Danny Ford, or even Ken Hatfield success at Arkansas, I did not love the style the Hogs played under any of them compared to Holtz and BP.

Good is the enemy of great

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi