Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Final Bama 33, West Virginia 23

Started by jbcarol, August 30, 2014, 07:03:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Michael Casagrande @ByCasagrande  ·  10h
Nick Saban requests 'patience' with Alabama offense while explaining how Tide scripts plays. http://ow.ly/ASNNU

Quote"I think people are going to have to understand there's a little bit of a new system on offense," Saban said on his weekly radio show Thursday night. "We're going to have a new quarterback, regardless of who plays. I think it's going to take a little patience on a lot of people's part on how this team can grow because we have three really good runners, I think we have good receivers.

"I'm not saying it's a work in progress, but I think everybody needs to be patient with how all of this develops."

Before that, Saban went through their thought process as far as scripting its offensive plays. That process is evolving under new coordinator Lane Kiffin.

"We usually scripted eight to 10 plays to start the game," Saban said. "That does not count special situations such as short yardage or third down. So this is just the script we want to run. It's the way we practiced it. The players know what to expect and we've done the same thing this year, but, you know with Lane, he likes to do more plays than that.

"He's got about 15 that he wants to run and I think that's a good thing because it gives you a menu of things that you are presenting to the defense that're different that they have to adjust to so there's more multiples rather than getting into doing the same things from the same formations, which I think at times, has been a little bit of an issue with us.

"I think the biggest thing that's different in our offense, if we can get it executed by our quarterbacks by recognition, is we have a lot of built in run-pass deals, which aight, I hate negative plays," Saban said. "I hate running bad plays. ... I hate it on offense that we're not smart enough or don't have it planned well enough that when we know something is going give us a bad play and we can't get out of the play for whatever reason or do something to not make it a negative play."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Drew Champlin @DrewChamplin  ·  7m
Nick Saban talks Lane Kiffin's laid back mentality, offensive philosophy on ESPN Gameday  http://ow.ly/ATpgM

jbcarol

Aaron Suttles @AaronSuttles  ·  10m
Every Alabama quarterback is on the field throwing except one: Jake Coker. Sims, Morris, Bateman and Cornwell all on the field.

Jake Coker just ran onto the field with a bit of a limp.

Coker has some sort of wrap/sleeve on his left leg.

jbcarol

Cecil Hurt @CecilHurt  ·  1h
The Jake Coker leg wrap courtesy of @ralphDrussoAP

jbcarol

Old SpiceR Red Zone Alert:

West Virginia is in the red zone.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Cecil Hurt @CecilHurt  ·  29s
Derrick Henry wins the first-carry-of-the-year pool.

jbcarol

Adam Griffith's 47-yard field goal ties it: Bama 3, West Virginia 3

jbcarol

ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  15m
Alabama's defense isn't winning the line of scrimmage. West Virginia having success between the tackles. #WVUvsBAMA

jbcarol

Bama gets a huge sack on 3rd down; X Dickson

jbcarol

jbcarol

Bama is deep in their own territory and will punt.

jbcarol

end 1st in Atlanta

WVU 3  Bama 3

Bama in the red zone.

jbcarol

WVU 3  Bama 10   14:11 2nd

14 plays, 95 yards, 6:57

jbcarol

WVU 10  Bama 10  11:58  2nd

Clock working in Atlanta

jbcarol

Bama faces third and long deep in their territory. 

Sims hits Cooper with a first down pass near the Bama 32.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Cecil Hurt @CecilHurt  ·  4m
And the kickoff return is the longest in Chik-Fil-A history. Tied at 17-17.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Cecil Hurt @CecilHurt  ·  20s
This is the issue. Not how Sims has played. RT @Bama_Hammer: "Defensively, we're soft," Saban says.

jbcarol

WVU is inside the Bama 25 down 3, early in the 3rd

jbcarol

Derrick Henry, 19 yd TD run

WVU 20  Bama 27  3rd

jbcarol

Bama receiver dropped a pass near the goal line that was like a spiraled punt.

jbcarol

Andrew Gribble @Andrew_Gribble  · 
Took a second for me to realize I now need to look at rushing stats when calculating an Alabama QB's production. Weird.

jbcarol

Cecil Hurt @CecilHurt  ·  2m
High snap curtails WVU threat, Lambert kicks third FG. Alabama 30-23 at 13:37 4Q.

jbcarol

WVU 23  Bama 30  12:00 4th

TJ Yeldon brings them from the shadow of their goal posts.

jbcarol

Cecil Hurt @CecilHurt  ·  58s
Yeldon now at 117 yards on 19 carries.

jbcarol

Cecil Hurt @CecilHurt  ·  39s
Adam Griffith now 4-for-4 on FGs, Alabama up 33-23 at 8:07 4Q.

jbcarol

Cecil Hurt @CecilHurt  ·  1m
Jake Coker gets to go in for the kneel down.

jbcarol

Andrew Gribble @Andrew_Gribble  ·  10s
FINAL IN ATLANTA: Alabama 33, West Virginia 23 http://ow.ly/ATXaV

jbcarol

Andrew Gribble @Andrew_Gribble  ·  2m
Alabama has limited West Virginia to 36 yards of offense in the fourth quarter.

jbcarol

Blake Sims  24/33  250 yds, big pick

C. Trickett   29/45  365 yds, TD   

jbcarol

Yeldon  23 car.  126 yds  2 TD
Henry   17 car.  117 yds  TD

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  59m
Why Alabama won, key moment and what fans are saying: It's the 2-minute drill after Alabama 33, West Virginia 23. http://s.al.com/UeebMWQ

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  8h
Nick Saban raves about Lane Kiffin's debut as Alabama's offensive coordinator http://ow.ly/AU5tD

Quote"Great," Saban said. "Great. Did a great job."

Numbers like Saturday's in Alabama's 33-23 victory over West Virginia will keep that sort of praise coming.

With a quarterback making his first career start against a style of defense Alabama hasn't seen often in recent years, the Crimson Tide rolled up 538 yards of offense, saw its three top playmakers clear 100 yards of their own, converted more than half of its first downs and punted just twice. There was even a no-huddle, two-minute drill series that led to a field goal at the end of the first half.

After all the "greats," Saban called it a "fantastic job."

"You know, the guy is a really good coach now, all right," Saban said. "Y'all need to fess up to that. And most places that don't like him is because he left and they were mad because he left. They weren't mad about anything he did while he was there.  Just do a little research on that."

Kiffin's reputation of feeding his top playmakers was apparent from start to finish...

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  28m
Four Downs: Why Alabama QB rotation wasn't plausible, RG battle, poor tackling, freshman impact http://ow.ly/AWqM2

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  28m

Film Room with John Parker: Breaking down Blake Sims' debut for Alabama http://ow.ly/B5ddT

Alabama using no-huddle offense, but is it fast? Nick Saban explains how Tide is different. http://ow.ly/B57F5

DeltaBoy

Solid win for the Tide and I believe a good one with a new QB.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.